TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I got fired today.

Ok guys I got let go today, not because of the economy nor my bad business traits.

Anyways so today I went up to my boss and said, "Hey Mrs. BLAH BLAH BLAH I'm thinking about going back to school to try to get my C.A.D design certificate in July, which means I might have to step down and work part time instead of full time. Is there anyway that you could help me find a part time job within the bank? I would love to stay and work for this bank."

I thought that was very professional, not only am I telling her ahead of time, but I pulled her aside on my lunch break and spent my entire lunch speaking with her.

Her response,"Well we need to have someone more committed and desire to succeed, and seeing that you are wanting to go part time raises a question... Are you that fulling committed to our bank? I think not. You know, I have helped you out and been extremely patient with you in your journey with us, but if you are not going to be committed to us and only us then I'm sorry I'm going to have to let you go."

Yet when I tried to leave she says "Hey where are you going? You shift hasn't ended, you still have 2 hours left."

So I stayed yet angry at the entire situation, but extremely friendly to all my loyal customers.

So did I do the right thing?

Is there anyone that can help me find a decent part time bank job in Abilene, Buffalo Gap, Merkel or Sweetwater, Texas?

Hell, a Teller job will do just fine.

I'm headed to Human Resources to file a formal complaint and have the regional recruiter investigate and hopefully reward my job, but just somewhere else.

I've spoken the the district manager and she will be calling me Wednesday.

That is very inexcusable and immature of her.

Morally and professionally, you did the right thing. From a strictly business perspective, you're timing was bad because most companies are looking for any excuse to lay off people currently. Lastly, based on your description of the event, your boss is / was a real :censored: (feel free to fill in the blank yourself).

I agree with Ilmor, I think you where very professional. I also believe you got the shaft, sorry for ya man. I also say you are a better man than me, I would of told her to go screw herself, and walked out.

Chris

I agree with Ilmor as well that the timing is wrong I am sure they were looking at laying off someone and you gave them the oppertunity to make it you. Look at it this way that now you have plently of time to find a part time job that will work out and possibly you can get unemployement until then

I think since you where only asking if something could be done, after all she could of said no at this time, I think you should throw the book after her and the bank for wrongful discharge, If things like this keep happing we will all be out of work and then re hired at half pay. I'm Union and got sent home everyday this week because of no work!! and off 27 through the 6th shutdown no pay. We are challenging this but at least they know we won't stand for it! economy excuses suck!! just my 2 cents, Mickey

I agree with Ilmor as well that the timing is wrong I am sure they were looking at laying off someone and you gave them the oppertunity to make it you. Look at it this way that now you have plently of time to find a part time job that will work out and possibly you can get unemployement until then

If you get laid off you can get unemployment.

If your fired....you can't.

You were right to keep your head and not walk out. In this particular case you probably would have received unemployment benefits regardless of how you're dismissed. Here in California you almost have to kill someone not to receive benefits. We had an employee who was caught cheating on her time cards. She was fired and still was granted full unemployment.

I think they have a real problem with wrongful termination since you were not fired for cause. She was wrong to terminate you on the spot and should be worried about her job.

Stay professional and pursue your reinstatement.

Good luck.

I believe Texas is a fire at will state. I know for a fact Oklahoma is. As an employer you can fire someone with no reason at all, just because you want to.

Another wierd rule in Oklahoma: You all know the liability paper you sign when you go to a race or something? In Oklahoma, they arent worth the paper they are written on. Will NOT stand up in court, unless it is notorized at the time of signing. Most people just dont know better.

I'm with you SS67.

You had a professional aproach to this, that manager is just too stupid to see it.

You try to get better qualification ang get punished for that? :headscratch:

Good luck with your studies and finding a new job.

There are options you have that may benefit you. EEOC complaints get results. in house grievance procedures may get you re-employed. Litigation if you feel the costs and trouble is justified. Going over her head, what have you got to lose. Make her prove this was justified.

Grants- student loans for other job education.

If you get laid off you can get unemployment.

If your fired....you can't.

I think that is an over simplification Rob....or I wouldn't lay off anyone, I would always fire....there has to be cause, ie. stole from company or job abandonment...

The simple fact that she terminated his employment without immediate dismisal and removal off premises defines a lay off. No state in the country would rule in favor of the employer in this case...

Go get your unemployment and make sure you are cashing the checks at your old branch so it gets rubbed in their face.

Basically, she just gave you 6 months of part time pay for no time work. Go get your schooling done hassle free now.

I believe Texas is a fire at will state. I know for a fact Oklahoma is. As an employer you can fire someone with no reason at all, just because you want to.

Another wierd rule in Oklahoma: You all know the liability paper you sign when you go to a race or something? In Oklahoma, they arent worth the paper they are written on. Will NOT stand up in court, unless it is notorized at the time of signing. Most people just dont know better.

Yes, Texas is an employment at will state, which means unemployment benefits are even more liberally given out to former employees since there are no requirements for termination. I deal with these issues day in-day out. The EEOC in Texas does this so employers do not use a loop hole to get around unemployment benefits. We have to meet strict guidelines for release of paying unemployment.

Liability releases are similar in many states- and have no binding if an incident occurs due to recklessness, either through action or inaction or negligence on the part of the organizer. It works exactly the same for those signs in parking lots that claim no responsibility for items stole out of vehicles AND those silly signs on the back of gravel haulers that say not responsible for broken windshields- TOTAL FARCE. I have trucks and have to pay windshield claims every week. That can only be fought if the truck driver can prove to the court that the damage was caused by an object already on the road, and since truck drivers cant tell what rock is falling off the trailer or out of the treads of their tires, it is almost 100% certainty to lose the case. We dont even try to fight them anymore.

Two things to hammer home here. First you DID NOT QUIT! You did not request to go part-time, you asked about the possibility of going part-time fully willing and able to continue in your full-time status indefinitely. These are important points to not waiver from. She messed up having you stay for the rest of your shift, so you really were not fired either. Another important point even more so when you are tasked with handling people's and the banks money. I don't know the history here and if you were on some other corrective plan or had been etc., but this is a REALLY strange situation that I'm sure will qualify for unemployment but here may be other things here that only a Lawyer that handles labor law can help you with.

For everyone else. NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER go into your boss and tell them you see your future someplace else and want to go part-time etc. In this case he wanted to learn an entirely different trade so with more than few unemployed banking professionals, even if she had just said "no" and left it at that, you had a target on your forehead from then on. Don't EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER come off to your boss or anyone else as nothing less than a "company man" or you run a risk of putting you and your performance under a microscope.

In this case I would have sought a part-time position elsewhere or wait until the bank posted such a position but even then for an internal position I would be leery. Then give your two-week notice, but expect to be shown the door, it's as simple as that today.

Hope it all works out!

Firstly, I commend you for taking a professional approach to this. It's always best to be up-front and honest. I also feel your manager could have handled the situation much better. On the other hand, put yourself in the bank's position. You are telling them you are going to further your education in CAD Design; something that has nothing to do with the banking industry. If I was your manager, I would be right in questioning your commitment to the bank since you obviously will be leaving the banking industry when you get your degree in CAD Design. I don't know your position within the bank or your history, but it takes significant time and resources to groom someone for progressively higher positions. If the person they have been grooming announces he is working toward an unrelated goal, why should that organization continue to invest in his/her future?

Did your manager handle the situation properly? Probably not. Was the logic behind the decision sound? Absolutely.

Just $0.02 from a corporate manager. It's not personal, it's business.

Firstly, I commend you for taking a professional approach to this. It's always best to be up-front and honest. I also feel your manager could have handled the situation much better. On the other hand, put yourself in the bank's position. You are telling them you are going to further your education in CAD Design; something that has nothing to do with the banking industry. If I was your manager, I would be right in questioning your commitment to the bank since you obviously will be leaving the banking industry when you get your degree in CAD Design. I don't know your position within the bank or your history, but it takes significant time and resources to groom someone for progressively higher positions. If the person they have been grooming announces he is working toward an unrelated goal, why should that organization continue to invest in his/her future?

Did your manager handle the situation properly? Probably not. Was the logic behind the decision sound? Absolutely.

I disagree and I will happily tell you why. As a former manager, I appreciated an employee that came to me and told me this type of thing. First, it gave me time to find and train someone else, and I still got good benefit from the employee looking to better him or herself. I would have asked, OK, how can I help you and where can you help me? Usually, it works out for both parties and the employee goes away on very good terms and sometimes returns. No one should ever be punnished for trying to better themselves. Unfortunately, bussiness is to many times run by managers who only see the bottom dollar. They are too ignorant to see that that dollar comes from good employees. That a good employee will make you more money than a poor one, even if that poor employee costs much less per hour to pay. All these new so called lean sigma six and fat gamma 5 or whatever you call it means absolutely crap without people. Just my 0.02 cents from a coperate manager, but hey, I am the one without the job at this point

I disagree and I will happily tell you why. As a former manager, I appreciated an employee that came to me and told me this type of thing. First, it gave me time to find and train someone else, and I still got good benefit from the employee looking to better him or herself. I would have asked, OK, how can I help you and where can you help me? Usually, it works out for both parties and the employee goes away on very good terms and sometimes returns. No one should ever be punnished for trying to better themselves. Unfortunately, bussiness is to many times run by managers who only see the bottom dollar. They are too ignorant to see that that dollar comes from good employees. That a good employee will make you more money than a poor one, even if that poor employee costs much less per hour to pay. All these new so called lean sigma six and fat gamma 5 or whatever you call it means absolutely crap without people. Just my 0.02 cents from a coperate manager, but hey, I am the one without the job at this point

Hey Tim. I completely agree with you...thus the "I think the manager handled it wrong" part. I was just giving some perspective on they kind of thoughts going through the manager's mind. If it was me, I would happily worked with the employee, but I would also need to start looking for a replacement. As a manager, you need to build a partnership with your employees so there is mutual trust and respect. It's a two-way street. As a manager, you need to be sensitive to the needs of the employee, but the employee also needs to be respectful of the manager and corporation.

I would have done whatever I could to continue to gain benefit from the employee while accommodating his/her schedule. On the other hand, I still have a full-time position I need to fill, and when a replacement is found, budgets may dictate that the now part-time person has to go. Just out-and-out firing the employee straight off the bat does no one any good. Conversely, this employee cannot expect the corporation to hold onto a part-time person indefinitely...unless there is an open part-time position somewhere else in the corporation where the employee could be repurposed.

I'm not a totally cold-hearted manager. ;)

Hey Tim. I completely agree with you...thus the "I think the manager handled it wrong" part. I was just giving some perspective on they kind of thoughts going through the manager's mind. If it was me, I would happily worked with the employee, but I would also need to start looking for a replacement. As a manager, you need to build a partnership with your employees so there is mutual trust and respect. It's a two-way street. As a manager, you need to be sensitive to the needs of the employee, but the employee also needs to be respectful of the manager and corporation.

I would have done whatever I could to continue to gain benefit from the employee while accommodating his/her schedule. On the other hand, I still have a full-time position I need to fill, and when a replacement is found, budgets may dictate that the now part-time person has to go. Just out-and-out firing the employee straight off the bat does no one any good. Conversely, this employee cannot expect the corporation to hold onto a part-time person indefinitely...unless there is an open part-time position somewhere else in the corporation where the employee could be repurposed.

I'm not a totally cold-hearted manager. ;)

Understood. There is a fine line to walk in balancing the Employee/Coperation typrope. In the end, the manager has to represent the corperation interests. In this case, sounds like the manager was personally offended, which, if the case, she represented neither side but instead, her own ego

Two things to hammer home here. First you DID NOT QUIT! You did not request to go part-time, you asked about the possibility of going part-time fully willing and able to continue in your full-time status indefinitely. These are important points to not waiver from. She messed up having you stay for the rest of your shift, so you really were not fired either. Another important point even more so when you are tasked with handling people's and the banks money. I don't know the history here and if you were on some other corrective plan or had been etc., but this is a REALLY strange situation that I'm sure will qualify for unemployment but here may be other things here that only a Lawyer that handles labor law can help you with.

For everyone else. NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER go into your boss and tell them you see your future someplace else and want to go part-time etc. In this case he wanted to learn an entirely different trade so with more than few unemployed banking professionals, even if she had just said "no" and left it at that, you had a target on your forehead from then on. Don't EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER come off to your boss or anyone else as nothing less than a "company man" or you run a risk of putting you and your performance under a microscope.

In this case I would have sought a part-time position elsewhere or wait until the bank posted such a position but even then for an internal position I would be leery. Then give your two-week notice, but expect to be shown the door, it's as simple as that today.

Hope it all works out!

+1

Good luck man

Sometimes the plans are pretty obvious. I was an appliance manager for Kmart corporation during college and my first year or so of law school. Even the dumbest higher ups at Kmart knew that selling washers and dryers was not my long term plan and that was when, rather than if, I would be leaving.

Sometimes the plans are pretty obvious. I was an appliance manager for Kmart corporation during college and my first year or so of law school. Even the dumbest higher ups at Kmart knew that selling washers and dryers was not my long term plan and that was when, rather than if, I would be leaving.

Exactly, a good employer knows he or she will have to fill those types of jobs on a regular basis and then cherry pick some for more challenging positions.

I have to disagree with you as far as the "professional approach" part of your post. The professional way is you give two weeks notice when you have a job in hand and only if you have a job in hand, and be ready to walk if they choose to show you the door.

However, I do agree with most of the rest of your post and it's the issues you outlined are why I stand by my statement that you DO NOT EVER EVER EVER EVER go to your boss and even imply that you might be leaving unless you are ready to walk out the door that minute.

IMHO!

you DO NOT EVER EVER EVER EVER go to your boss and

Ever?

So what are you saying? 4 evers make a never? I never was very good at the 2 negatives make positive; and 4 positives making a negative must be advanced math... :hysterical::poke:

WAIT! Should I say I NEVER NEVER was very good? Dammit Jeff, Now Im confused!

Archived