TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4.10 Gear Swap

I'm installing 4.10 gears in my 2007 SGT and noticed in Shelby catalog that they mention the "Special carrier Cross Shaft" is required for 4.10 gears. I have to assume they mean a 9 inch rear end and not the 8.8 but not sure about my assumption. I have attached the page from the 2008 Summer catalog. I would appreciate any guidance on this before I spend the $45.00 for a shaft i do not need. I ordered my geras at my local dealership here where I get a pretty good discount so I did not order from Shelby. The ford racing catalog does not mention the "Special carrier Cross Shaft". I will try to upload a picture of page 7 from the shelby catalog. I'm new to the site so please overlook my learning curve.

Thanks to all !!

Couple of questions for those that have been down the path I am about to take:

(1) Do you tink i need the shaft?

(2) Those with 4.10 gears, Can you tell me the RPM's you run at say 75 to 80 MPH?

(3) I purchased a SCTIII and should be in by Monday. Will it affect any of my tune by simpling hooking the unit up and makeing a gear change for the speedo.? (Ken) I went ahead and got the SCTIII since I'll be adding other items in the near future. Thanks for your help on that.

4.10_Gear.pdf

4.10_Gear.pdf

You will need the special cross shaft. It has an offset ground in it to clear the face of the gearset that is not required with the smaller 373 or lower number gears. This is the shaft that goes through the spider gears inside the rearend.

I just had my car changed to 410's and i did not see any charges for the carrier crossshaft so i don't think you need it. The shop also never mentioned this on the phone before the install. This shop does nothing but rear-ends and came highly recommended by several of my co-workers that race.My invoice showed Ford Racing ring and pinion, axle seal,shims, and friction modifier and labor. I did not have bearings installed because i had less than 6,000 miles on the car. This was the shops option and they said i did not need them.You will be supprised by the performance.Best improvement unless you are supercharging. Good Luck,Kenny

I'm installing 4.10 gears in my 2007 SGT and noticed in Shelby catalog that they mention the "Special carrier Cross Shaft" is required for 4.10 gears. I have to assume they mean a 9 inch rear end and not the 8.8 but not sure about my assumption. I have attached the page from the 2008 Summer catalog. I would appreciate any guidance on this before I spend the $45.00 for a shaft i do not need. I ordered my geras at my local dealership here where I get a pretty good discount so I did not order from Shelby. The ford racing catalog does not mention the "Special carrier Cross Shaft". I will try to upload a picture of page 7 from the shelby catalog. I'm new to the site so please overlook my learning curve.

Thanks to all !!

Couple of questions for those that have been down the path I am about to take:

(1) Do you tink i need the shaft?

(2) Those with 4.10 gears, Can you tell me the RPM's you run at say 75 to 80 MPH?

(3) I purchased a SCTIII and should be in by Monday. Will it affect any of my tune by simpling hooking the unit up and makeing a gear change for the speedo.? (Ken) I went ahead and got the SCTIII since I'll be adding other items in the near future. Thanks for your help on that.

Answers:

#1 - You'll hear varying opinions about this. I do not have one, I've yet to hear of anyone needing one. There's another post on here about them. I think they have a different application for this? The shop that did mine, if needed would have surely told me so.

#2 - 2500-2600RPM's

#3 - You can modify your existing tune just for the gear size.

Thanks to all for your help!!!!

Horsbyt, the RPMs you are seeing will be okay by me. Sounds like most of you guys with the 4.10s are happy with the selection.

All, I have replaced a many ring and pinon in the old nine inch rears on my Boss and CJ cars but never on the 8.8 and I did not want to learn on the SGT. On the SN95 cars I owned the gears were similar to the ones (color) I installed on my older cars.

All the gears I have worked with were a dark gun powder color to inculde the ones a friend installed in a coupe of SN95 cars I had. The same guy that did my SN95 cars is due to take the SGT Monday morning along with the gears and install kit with modifier. I guess if we get it apart he will know for sure at that time.

I also heard by mouth that the new Ford Racing gears do not require this. I can see where it could get confusing. I am going to try to upload 3 or 4 pics of the gears. These things are like chrome they are so polished. I have never seen a set of gears this nice or polished looking. But it has been about 5 to 6 years since I bought gears.

I really appreciate all the input and information all of you provided. Much Appreciated. If you would, please let me know if your gears looked like these in apperance.

Thanks,

-Billy

Call Pyle Bros at 281-421-5878. They did mine and gears is all they do. They did about 1100 of them last year and have been doing this for 30 years.Everyone that races in the Houston area have heard of them and they have a very good reputation. You won't regret swapping to 410's. Kenny P.S. They will gladly anwser any questions you have. I run 400 rpm's more at 80 mph which is what they told me from the start.

Thanks to all for your help!!!!

Horsbyt, the RPMs you are seeing will be okay by me. Sounds like most of you guys with the 4.10s are happy with the selection.

All, I have replaced a many ring and pinon in the old nine inch rears on my Boss and CJ cars but never on the 8.8 and I did not want to learn on the SGT. On the SN95 cars I owned the gears were similar to the ones (color) I installed on my older cars.

All the gears I have worked with were a dark gun powder color to inculde the ones a friend installed in a coupe of SN95 cars I had. The same guy that did my SN95 cars is due to take the SGT Monday morning along with the gears and install kit with modifier. I guess if we get it apart he will know for sure at that time.

I also heard by mouth that the new Ford Racing gears do not require this. I can see where it could get confusing. I am going to try to upload 3 or 4 pics of the gears. These things are like chrome they are so polished. I have never seen a set of gears this nice or polished looking. But it has been about 5 to 6 years since I bought gears.

I really appreciate all the input and information all of you provided. Much Appreciated. If you would, please let me know if your gears looked like these in apperance.

Thanks,

-Billy

Mine are 3:73s and they are not polished looking at all, The ad said that these were cut using the new single pass process. How can I tell if they shipped the new gears or not?

post-21350-1237120219_thumb.jpg

post-21350-1237120219_thumb.jpg

The special carrier cross shaft is only necessary when purchasing the gears from SPP.

If you buy the FRPP set, you won't need the shaft, as Ford Racing builds their ring gear (3.73 and higher) with a slight bevel cut into the end, in order to avoid having to swap the shaft. The gears from SPP don't have this bevel.

Good luck.

Ken

Thanks All,

I went ahead and attached a couple of pics of these gears. With the input you have provided mabye this thread may help someone else going down this path in the future. All the gear sets I had installed looked like the ones in Blueone's picture.

I'll be getting these installed in the morning and looking forward to the difference. I ordered the SCTIII Friday morning with 2 day delivery so mabye it will be here to set the speedo priot to launch.

See attached if interested.

-Billy

post-23697-1237138434_thumb.jpg

post-23697-1237138445_thumb.jpg

post-23697-1237138461_thumb.jpg

post-23697-1237138434_thumb.jpg

post-23697-1237138445_thumb.jpg

post-23697-1237138461_thumb.jpg

Just a heads up on fooling with your tuner. If you are due an inspection on your car anytime soon then you might want to get your car inspected first. I adjusted my speedometer after gear install and took it to get my car inspected and it failed 4 emissions test. The inspector said drive it a 100 miles then come back. I did and it still failed 3 emissions test. Now i've driven it about 250 miles and i'm taking it back this morning and hope it passes. Computers vary but all have to be driven some after fooling with the computer to readjust for emissions.I'm sure those that don't live in a large town probably want have to worry about this test as much as those who live in large city's or California. I've never read anything about this before on the forum so maybe this will help someone. This is suppose to be very common for these computers to need readjusting only thru driving them . Just my .02 cents worth, Kenny. p.s.sgt 3131, i believe i got a message from you but i'm not sure you got my response but i believe you got your anwser on this forum.

Hi Guys,

I got the gears installed Monday and had to pick the car up late. On the way home found a small roar. I took it back today and Tim will est the back lash again. I'm not too worried as I have not driven except from my house to his shop. Tim mentioned that the chrome looking gear set I had is only the 2nd set he has ever seen and that was a few years back.Then he called Ford to make sure they were not some type of display gear set and accidently got into the normal gear boxes.

Tim mentioned he thinks he had to try a couple of different back lash settings to get the chrome looking gears set 100%correct. I hope to get this resolved saturday. Tim is going ahead and having another set of gears to install if these will set correctly and Ford has agreed to pay for the gear and labor to install another set if we can'y get these to adjust out.

Typical back lashon these is 8 to 13 per Ford and he may have set mine to tight at 9. I know on my SN95 cars he set them at 12 on one car and 12 on the other car and both worked great right out of the driveway.

Shelbytexan, I got your message tonight. I have been off the site a few days due to work. Thanks for the heads up on the emissions. Fortunatly here in Kansas they do not even have a vehicle inspection station. These guys run long tubes with no cats all the time. I prefer to stay as legal as possible and do my part in trying to keep things as clean as possible. If I moved to Cal I would most likely not be able to drive the SN95 cars even tho they still have the full cats on them.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm still waiting on my tuner. I paid 2 day delivery when I ordered it Friday morning and it appears I could have saved that money. I am going to call the and have them deduct the charges for the 2 day delivery.

Thanks,

-Billy

When you get that tuner on with the new gears you will have a totally different car performance wise. I've returned my car back to stock so as to pass inspection at the dealer and i forgot just how much this tuner improved the performance. Good Luck ,hope you enjoy the performance.

• 3 weeks later...
Emissions still failed,now to the dealer.

Shelby, what type of testing did they perform and what areas of the test did you fail? I'm particularly interested in the numbers, if you still have your printout.

Tob

What exactly are you failing? Mine passed with flying colors...

Yours passed because you are not in Houston,Dallas,Fort Worth,San Antonio,Austin or El Paso and the surrounding counties of these city's. I don't live in Houston which is in Harris county but i live in Mongomery county which adjoins Harris county. The emissions test is very strict in these areas of Texas. You can't even go to another county to dodge the emissions testing if your car is registered in these areas of the state. You must have your vehicle inspected in your own county. As for what i failed on the Texas Vehicle Inspection Report i'm not sure because i returned my car back to stock and drove it about 100 miles then took it back to the dealer and i thought they were going to put it on a scanner and tell me what was wrong and instead they inspected it again after i had already failed at another place and it passed. I wound up paying another 39.75 for this inspection but at least i got my sticker. I thought i had my report from the first inspection but i must have already discarded it. I do know i failed the o2 sens htr and i believe the 02 sens. I believe it also showed misfire and one other failure but i'm not sure about that.From now on i will change my computer back to stock about a week or two before having my car inspected if need be. You get one retest if you fail but the first place i took it to gave me a second retest free and i still failed so thats why i went back to stock. This was a little inconvience but now i know. After i passed at the dealer i drove across the street in a parking lot and reinstalled my tune. Now back to being a happy camper.

Yours passed because you are not in Houston,Dallas,Fort Worth,San Antonio,Austin or El Paso and the surrounding counties of these city's.

Kaufman Co. is held to the same strict standards as DFW and the areas you mentioned. We are also an Ozone non-attainment area so the TCEQ is pretty strict on emissions here. Now if I go to the next county over they are not strict but I have to test where my car is registered and where the address is on my insurance.

I just thought maybe I could help.

I see you took it elsewhere and passed and that is what I was going to suggest. We have a quick lube here in Kaufman that is also an inspection center and they will do everything they can to fail you so they can charge you to "fix" the problem.

The only reason why i passed at the dealer is because i returned to stock tune. I don't think i would have passed at the dealer if i kept my sct tune on the car. The inspections are now done on a computer and the inspector can't override the computer to make you pass. The only thing that supprised me was that the dealer is the next county over from me and inspected the car. My daughter's boyfriend tried to have his truck inspected in the county next to his with the same restrictions and was told he had to have his done in county of registeration. I don't think my dealer noticed what county i was registered in.

Archived