TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil additive change

Has anyone read about the lack of Zinc lube ib all new oil except 15w 50 type oils? SAAC suggest caution could harm HP motors suggest Hyper Lube product this topic also came out in Mustang monthly and Hemmings I will add to my older Shelbys even I use Mobil 15w -50 in my 67 and 69 Shelbys. But what about HP Engine in our new Shelbys ? Should we be concerned? Bruce

Has anyone read about the lack of Zinc lube ib all new oil except 15w 50 type oils? SAAC suggest caution could harm HP motors suggest Hyper Lube product this topic also came out in Mustang monthly and Hemmings I will add to my older Shelbys even I use Mobil 15w -50 in my 67 and 69 Shelbys. But what about HP Engine in our new Shelbys ? Should we be concerned? Bruce

Is this because it fouls the O2 sensors? If so, then it shouldn't affect the older cars.

Is this because it fouls the O2 sensors? If so, then it shouldn't affect the older cars.

No the EPA said the lube additive shortens catalitic convetor life gee all mine rust before they fail, lets see 84 BMW 325 with 200,000 miles just changed convetor go figuire.

15W50 is traditionally a diesel-engine oil or a specialized race oil.

This from Mobil's Q&A site:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ask Mobilspacer.gif:spacer.gifHas Zinc Been Removed from Motor Oils?

Ask Your Stickiest Question. . . Or ask us something you've always wanted to know about using our products. We'll sort through all the submissions and present the best questions to our automotive experts. The questions, and their answers, will post right here on the site.

spacer.gifQuestion:

Has Zinc Been Removed from Motor Oils?I am having thrust bearing failure in a 4.6 modified performance engine. This is a street/strip engine. Many of my friends are having the same problem. I think it is the result of the removal of zinc from the oil. I was told by two separate racing engine builders that the EPA ordered the removal of the zinc from over-the-counter motor oil. I use Mobil 1 5W-20. Is this true and do you think a zinc additive might help?-- Randy Lovejoy, Americas, GAspacer.gif

Answer: The active ingredient that you are talking about is phosphorus which is added thru a component called ZDDP. For products that meet the new ILSAC GF-4 specification the phosphorus levels for the oil must be less than 800 ppm phosphorus. The ILSAC level for phosphorus has been reduced to protect the catalytic converter and other emission protection equipment. The engine manufacturers are confident that this level of phosphorus will protect both new and older engines. However, there are Mobil 1 products which have a higher level of phosphorus (phos) and can be used in engines in racing or high performance applications; see the attached table.

(Note that Mobil 5W50 is not approved by Ford)

15W50 is traditionally a diesel-engine oil or a specialized race oil.

This from Mobil's Q&A site:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ask Mobilspacer.gif:spacer.gifHas Zinc Been Removed from Motor Oils?

Ask Your Stickiest Question. . . Or ask us something you've always wanted to know about using our products. We'll sort through all the submissions and present the best questions to our automotive experts. The questions, and their answers, will post right here on the site.

spacer.gifQuestion:

Has Zinc Been Removed from Motor Oils?I am having thrust bearing failure in a 4.6 modified performance engine. This is a street/strip engine. Many of my friends are having the same problem. I think it is the result of the removal of zinc from the oil. I was told by two separate racing engine builders that the EPA ordered the removal of the zinc from over-the-counter motor oil. I use Mobil 1 5W-20. Is this true and do you think a zinc additive might help?-- Randy Lovejoy, Americas, GAspacer.gif

Answer: The active ingredient that you are talking about is phosphorus which is added thru a component called ZDDP. For products that meet the new ILSAC GF-4 specification the phosphorus levels for the oil must be less than 800 ppm phosphorus. The ILSAC level for phosphorus has been reduced to protect the catalytic converter and other emission protection equipment. The engine manufacturers are confident that this level of phosphorus will protect both new and older engines. However, there are Mobil 1 products which have a higher level of phosphorus (phos) and can be used in engines in racing or high performance applications; see the attached table.

(Note that Mobil 5W50 is not approved by Ford)

Good info thanks does this affect our cars? I use 5w 30 Mobil 1, my BMW dealer off the record said to use HYper Lube zinc replacement, I ordered a case from Hyper lube., again should we have conern any advise would be appreciated Bruce

it doesnt foul 02 sensors...it slowly destroys the cats(pullutes there structure is more like it) the epa are the ones who ordered it removed. blame the tree huggers for endangering all clasic cars. :banghead:

if you have an older fe engine god help you.

My company has a fleet of vehicles, all with Ford modular motors. The mechanic builds big block chevy racing engines and is very successful. He changes the oil every 3K in the vehicles and the vehicles easily exceed 150 K before sale. In millions of miles he has never had a valve cover off or an oil pan. Lost a few waterpumps, intake manifolds (cracks), transmissions, etc. But never a oil related failure. The other day I asked him to pull a valve cover when he replaced an intake manifold. Vehicle had 150K and I was shocked how clean the cam, chain, and cylinder head was. Like new. He uses a special oil, Ultra Lube (ULX-110). He had sent the oil out for analysis and I noticed it has a very high moly content and high zinc concentration. Super slippery. It is a conventional oil that performs like a synthetic. It is green. While I use synthetic he is about to win me over to this oil.

Good info thanks does this affect our cars? I use 5w 30 Mobil 1, my BMW dealer off the record said to use HYper Lube zinc replacement, I ordered a case from Hyper lube., again should we have conern any advise would be appreciated Bruce

On a modern engine I don't think there should be a concern. Besides Hyperlube doesn't have *any* zinc in it.. if you read their literature they say that and indicate it's an alternative to reduce wear in Extreme Presure (EP) environments, like non-roller valve-trains. But if you go to the material they refer to in support of their statements, they're comparing to the wear encountered when testing agianst API-SH oils -- that's a rather old API spec oil -- the curent API is SM. In one of the videos they show Hyperlube being poured into oil and it's very viscous -- like STP -- and go on to say how it increases HP by 4%. Sounds like more snake-oil to me, but I'm no expert on this. Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer is used by many professional racers too (it also raises the viscocity) and that probably increases HP too in that a thicker oil seals piston rings more effectively, but it also wraps itself in a froth around the crank more than thinner oils, and takes longer to get up to the lifters, etc. (even tho they all say it 'clings' to parts to eliminate cold starts, etc). Dunno...

I'm thinking that in a modern street car engine the recommended grade API-SM oil is the way to go. If you add a S/C to an 4.63V than maybe move up a grade (from 5W20 to 5W30 full synthetic). If it's a race car you don't care about a little more wear on start-up since the engine will be rebuilt long before valve-train wear is an issue, imo ...ome race cars even pre-pressurize before start-up -- Parnelli Jones was doing that going back to the 60s oh his own cars -- and NASCAR teams run drysumps for various benefits one of which is to minimize the oil-frothing and damaging effects high rpm wet sump engines. Street cars need to last a long time not 1 to 20 or 40 races.

I read about this a year ago, a friend told me they were removing zinc and other additives from new oils. I started using "zddplus" to all my vehicles. You just add 1 bottle with each oil change. There is tons and tons of stuff on the internet about this. Go to www.ZddpOilAdditive.com to start ....

it doesnt foul 02 sensors...it slowly destroys the cats(pullutes there structure is more like it) the epa are the ones who ordered it removed. blame the tree huggers for endangering all clasic cars. :banghead:

if you have an older fe engine god help you.

You'll be blaming the tree huggers for a lot more soon...................................

Archived