TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Shelby GT Tribute Car

kryptonite

Wow. Almost 2 years and people are still getting upset about this. Well.... as a guy that wants a Shelby, but 'settled' on a Mustang GT; I say nice job. One of my biggest complaints about the SGT was the lack of color options.

You did not buy a Shelby GT just because of the color options? So, the performance and other enhancements were not enough so you "settled" for a Mustang GT. What color did you get?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The price and silver on white, kept me from owning back then. After exchanging and selling a few cars, I ended up with a Mustang GT, and saved $12k at that time. My current car is white. The performance wasn't good enough for the mark up back in 2007 and 2008. Don't get me wrong though, I love Carroll Shelby and his creations, but I'm into cars for the performance, not the luxury.

The price and silver on white, kept me from owning back then. After exchanging and selling a few cars, I ended up with a Mustang GT, and saved $12k at that time. My current car is white. The performance wasn't good enough for the mark up back in 2007 and 2008. Don't get me wrong though, I love Carroll Shelby and his creations, but I'm into cars for the performance, not the luxury.

nicely said ,,here is a picture of my 2007 GT/CS cost $ 10,000 less than a Shelby GT at the time I got it new ,but don't get me wrong either I love the look of the Shelby GT ,just not the price ,yes with a real Shelby you get the number and all ,but my 2007 GT/CS has more Shelby performance parts than most real Shelby GT's ,,I have on my non-Shelby ,Shelby parts you can no longer get ,and it to has its on little number with Ford Racing ,in 2007 they made 5000 Black Shelby GT's ,,but it 2007 they made only 2231 Black GT/CS's,,just saying ,,,and as to any car " you can buy performance " alot cheaper than from a Ford dealership. :hysterical:140221-R1-05-20A.jpg

140221-R1-05-20A.jpg

nicely said ,,here is a picture of my 2007 GT/CS cost $ 10,000 less than a Shelby GT at the time I got it new ,but don't get me wrong either I love the look of the Shelby GT ,just not the price ,yes with a real Shelby you get the number and all ,but my 2007 GT/CS has more Shelby performance parts than most real Shelby GT's ,,I have on my non-Shelby ,Shelby parts you can no longer get ,and it to has its on little number with Ford Racing ,in 2007 they made 5000 Black Shelby GT's ,,but it 2007 they made only 2231 Black GT/CS's,,just saying ,,,and as to any car " you can buy performance " alot cheaper than from a Ford dealership. :hysterical:post-12534-0-17670100-1300140911_thumb.jpg

Actually you need to check your numbers, no they did not build 5000 black Shelby GT's., the total run was around 5700 for both white and black with less then 2000 white ones. Either way, I think your cars look fantastic, maybe I am just a little more of a Mustang purist, but I don't get why you are on a Shelby site and make a point out of not having a Shelby and knock others for their choice to buy one.

Guys guys guys.... Richard was not knocking Shelbys, nor was I. Richard and I were just trying to say that back in 2007, the markup was ridiculous simply because of the name. If I had the money I would order a GT350 tomorrow morning; but for now, I am content to own a Mustang.

As for me being on a Shelby site, I used to have one. I still have a Mustang at this point, and am considering a CS conversion. Besides, I've made a bunch of friends on this site, and most of it's people seem like mature folks- unlike a lot of other Mustang forums.

When I started this thread 1 1/2 years ago, I knew what I was in for. As Craig and many others have said who have met me, I tell everyone that I built this car and it is not a real Shelby. I have done a ton of car shows and cruises, as well as daily driving my car (I have almost 110k miles) and I get comments and they are pretty much all positive, at least to my face. The one surprising thing I have run into is the number of SGT owners who have either sent me a PM or email asking me what it cost me to do my car, because they are considering it themselves. I even sent in a poster print of my car from the 45th Anniversary for the MAN himself to sign, though I didn't get any kind of comment about my car. Bill, as well as everyone on TS, has the right to their own opinion. I enjoy talking to people, whether on here, or on the Legend Lime Registry or in person. If you think I am a poser for doing what I did, that is your opinion and right to say that. Like I said, I knew what I was in for when I started this thread.

First of all, your car looks great. Second, the forum you posted in is the 2005 + mustang forum and not the Shelby GT forum. Third, you stated that it is a tribute. Finally, Mr. Shelby said that TS is for everyone. Even non Shelby owners like myself. As a 65 GT350 Clone/Tribute owner, I get positive comments about mine. I am always honest about the clone thing, and still get smiles. If it were not for classic clone aftermarket companies like Tony Branda, I do not think the classics would have hung around for this long. Mr. Shelby approves of Branda selling parts. I do not understand why people get so upset. Are they worried that they will lose to a clone for a first place trophy? Usually cars are segragated at shows now a days. Why does badging and stripes upset the purist. The're cars have CSM#s, so why care what the next guy has. What I am trying to say is oppinions are like @#sh&*%$. Everyone has one, not all of them smell like roses. And to add a note, even thouh my 65 is a clone, it hits the pavement as my DD, unlike the purist that hide them because there worth a lot of money. It is an automobile, ment to be DRIVEN! If mine was real, I would be the only soul on this planet that would drive one on a daily bases. The way I look at it, life is to short, and some things are more important than money. Life is like a highway, and I plan on using my car to make memories along the way, and hopefully pass on the history of a legend named Carroll Shelby! So my friend, keep those tires spinning and keep on grinning.

Well put Den. Just watch out for misspelled words..... like the important ones.... Carroll Shelby.

I thought I pressed the letter "L" twice :banghead: , my bad.

• 1 year later...

I'm still loving this car - I keep watching for the sig pic to change to see what's been done to it lately. I only post on this website as other sites get bent out of shape because my daily driver (a lowly Ford Escape) has a Shelby badge on it.....apparently I'm single handedly devaluing the brand (I left one site in particular, two years ago, and they are apparently still talking smack about me.....I wasn't aware that I was THAT interesting...lol).

My CS6 is the real deal, though there are plenty of people out there who disagree with that, despite it's registry entry, mainly because of the lack of a CSM..........my point being that there will always be haters and their comments should be taken with a pinch of salt. Keep doing what you're doing :).

My CS6 is the real deal, though there are plenty of people out there who disagree with that, despite it's registry entry, mainly because of the lack of a CSM..........my point being that there will always be haters and their comments should be taken with a pinch of salt. Keep doing what you're doing :).

Or in some cases a 5 pound bag of salt. ;)

Tribute cars are often a hit or miss. I'm fairly acceptable and appriciative of them as long as you don't lie to my face thinking I'm 18....erm 19 I just got there :P, thus I am incompitent and wouldn't know the difference / will be persuaded of the lie.

Agreed that tribute's are usually Marmite cars - people will love them or hate them, rarely the middle ground.

As long as the owner is open & honest about what it is I'm not at all against them. I have spoken out where cars have been misrepresented as the real deal but honesty carries a lot of weight with me so I look at the hard work & passion that went into the build.

see, i hate it when the people on here get all pissed off about having "Shelby" on the side/rear of the car.... you know that the Shelby GT and the Ford GT/CS have been rated among the worst Mustangs of all time? DO what you wanna do, don't let the stuck up pricks on here get you down. Car looks damn good man.

Agreed that tribute's are usually Marmite cars - people will love them or hate them, rarely the middle ground.

As long as the owner is open & honest about what it is I'm not at all against them. I have spoken out where cars have been misrepresented as the real deal but honesty carries a lot of weight with me so I look at the hard work & passion that went into the build.

WOW! Someone revived my thread!

I do let everyone I talk to that I built this car and that it is not a real Shelby. I get both positive and negative comments; mostly positive.

I do a lot of car shows (up and down the east coast) and some track events locally. There really isn't any more I can do to the exterior of the car, other than maybe upgrading the stock suspension to give the car a more aggressive look. Car is my daily driver. 136K miles and counting!!!!

Saw you at our spring car show last weekend. Your car was really nice, and I like what you've done with it. Thanks for coming, and supporting our show and charity. I will definitely make it to your show that's coming up. Keep up the good work!!!

Great to meet you this past weekend! You guys did a great show!!!!

What scoop do you have on there by the way?

I ask because you mentioned an issue with it and 'getting around the issue' but I don't know what the issue is to begin with.

As stated earlier in this thread, I purchased the Shelby GT parts from an owner of a white Shelby GT who converted his SGT to a GT500.

So I have the hood and hood scoop off of a SGT. My stock hood is in my garage, stored away. It is virtually impossible to get this hood scoop, unless you own a real SGT or pay a high premium on eBay for one.

The SGTs had an issue concerning the vinyl stripes being wrinkled by the hood scoop. The early versions of the hood scoop moves under extreme temperatures, causing the stripes to bunch up. My stripes are painted on. From my understanding, there have been multiple versions of the hood scoop made by Shelby to combat this issue.

• 5 months later...

Archived