TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Shelby GT Tribute Car

kryptonite

I think the Shelby GT label went too far, because its simply not true. I don't believe in cloning any car; they should either be kept all original or hopped up in various ways and levels, but never labled as something they aren't. The labels make the difference, expecially when they are so blatant. Only SIA can build a Shelby GT.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the Shelby GT label went too far, because its simply not true. I don't believe in cloning any car; they should either be kept all original or hopped up in various ways and levels, but never labled as something they aren't. The labels make the difference, expecially when they are so blatant. Only SIA can build a Shelby GT.

You’re living in fantasy world……… Did you every watch the Barrett-Jackson auctions, most of the cars sold are tribute’s or clones. Hell, even SAI is building clones; they’re called “continuations”, go ask how the original Shelby Cobra owners feel about those.

Take it as a complement that Russ took the time and money to pay tribute to our cars.

You’re living in fantasy world……… Did you every watch the Barrett-Jackson auctions, most of the cars sold are tribute’s or clones. Hell, even SAI is building clones; they’re called “continuations”, go ask how the original Shelby Cobra owners feel about those.

+1

Thanks for all of your comments. I understand the sentiment and expected the rough ride and in no way will take any of those comments personally.

And I will be stopping by at the dyno day to say hi, though I won't be dynoing or staying too long.

Did you get the Shelby GT faux gas cap? How about the floormats?

Your car does look nice and I am sure you are really proud of the work you have done. I know you said you bought the hood and scoop from a member on this forum, if you feel like telling us I am curious at what you had to pay?

I have a SGT as well, but if you really take a good look at it, anyone can build one. It is only FRPP bolt on parts with some badging and labels.

The only unique parts on the car is the hood scoop, sill plates (08), hood pins (08), floormats and the badging with the CSM #'s, everything else is off the shelf of Ford Racing as mastmech1 stated.

Your car does look nice and I am sure you are really proud of the work you have done. I know you said you bought the hood and scoop from a member on this forum, if you feel like telling us I am curious at what you had to pay?

He won't be able to get the faux gas cap, you have to provide your CSM# when ordering, unless SPP has changed the process. Or if someone else buy's one for him.

The gas cap and floor mats are next to impossible to get, so I am staying with the ones I already have.

As far as what I paid for the hood with hood scoop, STB and front fascia, which btw were off a white SGT, were around $1,500 shipped from California. The only parts I am lacking I can buy from FRPP (CAI and Full Suspension Kit) and I will be going with the 18x8.5 CS-66 wheels.

Nice looking car.... I wondered what silver stripes would look like on LL. The 17" wheels are a dead giveaway, to the best of my knowledge, all SGTs came with 18s.

Some facts on Legend Lime (Lime Gold) -

Most popular color ever for Mustang - over 250,000 built in this color in 67, 68 + 69 (tell me you don't like the looks of a 69 Lime Gold Boss 302)

Rarest color for S197 Mustangs - 05/06 only, less than 3.6% of total production.

There is something unique about owning this color, besides the fact that chicks dig it, tons of people come up to you and say I had or my dad had or my aunt had one this color in the 60s and they are telling the truth!

I don't believe in cloning any car; they should either be kept all original or hopped up in various ways and levels, but never labled as something they aren't.

I've added several styling cues from the V6 model onto my '07 GT. I've had more than a few people confused as to whether it started life as a V6 car with a supercharged V8 transplanted in, or people ask "why on Earth would you dumb down a GT into a lesser model." Guess I like the sleeper look and figured nobody would care if I went down the food chain vs trying to emulate something higher on the food chain.

I personally think Kryptonite's Legend Lime GT looks great. Powered by Ford emblems are factual (it is powered by Ford, right?) and they look nice. I would not have done the Shelby GT side stripes, but would have opted for the plain side stripes with no lettering. Otherwise, this LL tribute looks great, IMO.

The gas cap and floor mats are next to impossible to get, so I am staying with the ones I already have.

As far as what I paid for the hood with hood scoop, STB and front fascia, which btw were off a white SGT, were around $1,500 shipped from California. The only parts I am lacking I can buy from FRPP (CAI and Full Suspension Kit) and I will be going with the 18x8.5 CS-66 wheels.

WOW that is a bargain. I am happy for you OTHER THAN THE SIDE STRIPE. Just kidding you do have a sweet car. COuld you have bought a CS8 kit? That would have made your car a real Shelby

I'm not going to judge on the clone issue but of all the ones I've seen, other than the wheels, this is a nice and at least tasteful one! The stripes look good and it's pretty fithful to the original overall look.

For those upset...EVERYTHING he has on here, except the side stripes, is available. I was going to say the hood scoop wasn't but the fact is between wrecked cars and Chip Beck, you can buy a scoop.

SPP sells the pins, the grills, the rear deck Shelby letters, and Ford gives set of the side emblems with crate engines and no requirements for use. So what can you expect!

At lease this one is tasteful the others I've seen...ugh...

Hello everyone!

I want to thank one of your members. I have forgotten his name, but he sold me his Shelby GT Hood and Front Fascia, as he converted his car to a GT500.

I have no problem with it as long as your don't advertise it as a real Shelby. There will always be clones and this is the best looking late model one I have seen. We, and the owner, will always know what it is...and what it isn't. The crazy thing is...with the deals on the Shelby GTs...buying a real Shelby GT is cheaper that creating a good clone. Which leads to some very cheap clones.

What I hate the most is some of the very bad clones...especially if advertised as the real deal.

post-8665-1236913352_thumb.jpg

or this SuperSnake

post-8665-1236913825_thumb.jpg

But maybe what bothers me the most about this post is that a owner of a real Shelby GT would convert their car to a fake GT500. WTF :doh: Why would you do that?

post-8665-1236913352_thumb.jpg

post-8665-1236913825_thumb.jpg

SPP sells the pins, the grills, the rear deck Shelby letters, and Ford gives set of the side emblems with crate engines and no requirements for use. So what can you expect!

You're right, but we still don't have to like them!!

WOW that is a bargain. I am happy for you OTHER THAN THE SIDE STRIPE. Just kidding you do have a sweet car. COuld you have bought a CS8 kit? That would have made your car a real Shelby

I could have gotten the CS8 kit, but it was a lot more $$$$ (Approx. 8k versus 5k, not including paint). Plus, from what I understand, if I had wanted to try to get SAI to convert my car for me, my car's color would prevent SAI from actually converting my car over to any type of Shelby.

my car's color would prevent SAI from actually converting my car over to any type of Shelby.

As far as a CS kit, I don't think color is a problem, but Shelby cant do conversion, the package has to be installed by you or your bodyshop.

The reason they cant build them is Ford threw a fit.

I know there are a lot of clones out there. This is not a new issue. I personally would not own a "badged" clone. I have thought about building a '68 to look like a GT350, but I would not put the Shelby name on it. Look at the 427 Cobras out there. Some of the kits are pretty good. The new roadsters from Shelby, the CSX Series, I would never call them a clone. How can you call them a clone when they come from Shelby.

I honestly don't see the big deal here. I don't see anything wrong with a tribute car. Everyone should be happy that there's people that want a car like theirs so bad that they build a tribute to it. Not everyone can afford the real thing.

+1 (as long as you don't alter vins / csm #s or try to pass it off or sell it as genuine) I think it is cool!

But maybe what bothers me the most about this post is that a owner of a real Shelby GT would convert their car to a fake GT500. WTF :doh: Why would you do that?

You got that right!!! :doh:

Come on fellows.......give him a break.

Because I may say I'm a doctor..........does'nt make me a doctor.

That guy made a sweet little ride for himself. No big deal.

I never saw a Lime shelby GT.........kool idea.....

It does not appear that he did a tag job with the vin# or he would not have posted in the first place.

When I was a kid, I converted my 67 mustang to look like a Shelby too. Did'nt make it a Shelby but it felt good.

I would really like to "altar" my GT-H to the car I WANT IT TO BE but it's not a good idea to change what it is.

He's a car guy like most of us. If that car has a manual gearbox..... :shift: .......I LOVE IT EVEN MORE!!!!!!!!!

Cut him some slack.............Your friend in Shelby's........Philip

I don't care what people do to their cars. Personally it's interesting to see what is in the imagination of the owner. However it's a different sentiment for me when I see someone actually do the Shelby badging to the current generation of Mustangs. For me and for me personally it's not a clone, it's not a tribute... what it is to me, is a genuine poser.

I don't care what people do to their cars. Personally it's interesting to see what is in the imagination of the owner. However it's a different sentiment for me when I see someone actually do the Shelby badging to the current generation of Mustangs. For me and for me personally it's not a clone, it's not a tribute... what it is to me, is a genuine poser.

Hi Guys.

I hear you all loud and clear.

I probably would feel the same if the car was posed as a GT-H.

But he loves the car he built and he was sharing it with other mustang guys publicly on the forum.

If he passes it off as a Shelby.........Then he has a problem.

Philip

First welcome, and secondly nice job. Please continue to keep it tasteful. Now, any engine mods?

No engine mods. Having to save up for the final components left to install. (CAI, suspension, wheels).

No sure if I will go any further past the CAI, but you never know.,

No engine mods. Having to save up for the final components left to install. (CAI, suspension, wheels).

No sure if I will go any further past the CAI, but you never know.,

You have a lot I mean A LOT of balls to post this in a Shelby forum, but honest to god I think it's brilliant and very beautiful. I wish the newer GT 500 came in this colour! Put some Gun Metal Gray Shelby Razors on her. Anyways great looking car, you put a lot in her. Be proud! :shift:

I have a quest for a green Shelby and your creation is inspiring. I will eventully alter a green Bullitt to achieve my hearts desire, for now I settle for green FIA stripes. More power to you, the die hards know it's not authentic.

Tom is a guy you should talk to (vert below), and if your in SoCal stop by.

Mike

Green.jpg

Green.jpg

Archived