TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Shelby GT Tribute Car

kryptonite

Hello everyone!

I've been reading your forum for quite sometime.

I built myself a Shelby GT out of my 2005 Legend Lime Mustang GT.

My reason for building it is that I wanted something different in a color that is no longer currently offered.

Which was my reason for picking the Legend Lime color. That and it was very close to the color from the 60's.

Now, I do not proclaim it a "clone". And anyone that has asked me about the car, I do not tell people it is a

real Shelby, but a tribute of the car from the 60's. I built this tribute as a cross between the old and the new. Old being

the color and new being the styling.

It took me quite a while to get all of the parts you see on the car. I am missing some key components, mostly because

I ran out of money. But hope to have it totally completed by year's end.

To get around the issue with the hood scoop, I had my stripes painted on.

I want to thank one of your members. I have forgotten his name, but he sold me his Shelby GT Hood and Front Fascia, as

he converted his car to a GT500.

Please feel free to critique my car. I won't be offended by anything anyone says,

whether the feedback is positive or negative.

P3050025_small.jpg

P3050024_small.jpg

P3050025_small.jpg

P3050024_small.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello everyone!

My reason for building it is that I wanted something different in a color that is no longer currently offered.

Which was my reason for picking the Legend Lime color. That and it was very close to the color from the 60's.

Now, I do not proclaim it a "clone". And anyone that has asked me about the car, I do not tell people it is a

real Shelby, but a tribute of the car from the 60's. I built this tribute as a cross between the old and the new. Old being

It took me quite a while to get all of the parts you see on the car. I am missing some key components, mostly because

I want to thank one of your members. I have forgotten his name, but he sold me his Shelby GT Hood and Front Fascia, as

Please feel free to critique my car. I won't be offended by anything anyone says,

Are you sporting Shelby badging on this car? I like the color combo. You did a great job with the stripes too.

Ken

Hello everyone!

Your on the wrong web site. You should be at http://www.legendlimeregistry.com/ . Just joking. Your stang does look great. See you on the LLR web site.

Tom

Putting the Shelby GT stripe on is WRONG. Anybody that knows what a SHelby GT is knows there was never a PUKE GREEN one. To be honest the car does look good but I really do not like the side stripe on it.

Are you bringing this to Dyno day with the club?

To each his own on what he/she wants to do with their car. I think you will see a lot of negatives here on this site since the Shelby badging is on the car and it is a clone or "tribute" car.

If you are happy with it that is all that matters.

I think it looks good...might be the best looking Legend Lime stang I've ever seen.

If it were black, white, blue, or orange then it I could understand why it would bother folks, but Legend Lime was gone before any SGTs were built. Anybody that knows anything about these cars will know it's not the real thing. As for the "Shelby GT" side stripe...I wouldn't do it but I'm not bothered by it.

I think it looks good...might be the best looking Legend Lime stang I've ever seen.

If it were black, white, blue, or orange then it I could understand why it would bother folks, but Legend Lime was gone before any SGTs were built. Anybody that knows anything about these cars will know it's not the real thing. As for the "Shelby GT" side stripe...I wouldn't do it but I'm not bothered by it.

I agree, but I wouldn't care if it was black, blue, or white. Who cares. I would like to have a 68 Shelby clone. I wouldn't want a real one as I wouldn't want to put that kind of money on the highway...

Nice job krypto and don't worry about the aggrevated souls or the insults... :shift:

Before I pulled the trigger on the SGT, I was going to do a SGT look or to be more precise an updated GT-350 tribute...the reverse of my car, silver with blue stripes, SGT grille and front facia, spoiler delete. Aftermarket hood with roush style functional hood scoop. I bought some "FORD" rocker stripes but had no plans to put on PBF or "SHELBY" emblems.

While I understand why others are bothered, I don't have a problem with clones...I just wouldn't do it myself. The upcoming Shelby Registry will clearly show which cars were made at SAI.

I know Russ personally and have seen the car in person and the paint shop did a great job, it looks better in person (better than what we got from SAI).

I own one and don’t have an issue, adding a fake CSM # would be crossing the line in my opinion. Hell, there are hundreds if not thousands of “tributes or clones” of the classic Shelby’s and it’s never hurt their value or prestige over the years. I'm secure enough to know I own the real deal.

If anyone has a problem with the PBF badges, you should take it up with Ford for letting them be sold on eBay, plus they are giving them away if you buy a crate motor from Ford Racing. Plus, SPP sells the S H E L B Y letters in their own catalog (page 26) for anyone to purchase.

Like Jase said, if you are happy with it that is all that matters.

(Flame suite on)

I know Russ personally and have seen the car in person and the paint shop did a great job, it looks better in person.

I own one and don’t have an issue, adding a fake CSM # would be crossing the line in my opinion. Hell, there are hundreds if not thousands of “tributes or clones” of the classic Shelby’s and it’s never hurt their value or prestige over the years. I'm secure enough to know I own the real deal.

If anyone has a problem with the PBF badges, you should take it up with Ford for letting them be sold on eBay, plus they are giving them away if you buy a crate motor from Ford Racing. Plus, SPP sells the S H E L B Y letters in their own catalog (page 26) for anyone to purchase.

Like Jase said, if you are happy with it that is all that matters.

(Flame suite on)

Heck I hope it comes to Dyno Day...I want to see it in person. Care has been taken in making the car right. Just like previously posted there are tons of replicas out there of the original Shelby's... heck I may buy one of those myself next.

Putting the Shelby GT stripe on is WRONG. Anybody that knows what a SHelby GT is knows there was never a PUKE GREEN one. To be honest the car does look good but I really do not like the side stripe on it.

I guess PUKE GREEN was a mistake back then too........... :rolleyes:

lot_1250.jpg

This is one of the best looking Shelby's EVER, IMHO.

I can't believe there are no smilies with a flamethrower... :angry2:

Be careful saying you like clones. Someone while chime in with a "I suppose you like fake rolexes too!" comment.

While there are some fake things I can appreciate (o) (o)

rolexes aren't one of them :)

lot_1250.jpg

Damn, that is the exact color and setup of my first car except it wasn't a real Shelby. It was funny cause many of my friends at 16 said "puke green" but damn it was rare and damn it looked good to me.

That is perhaps my favorite Shelby color. I almost bought a 68 Shelby clone last year that was that color... :banghead:

In 68` that was the most popular colour. Sold more in that Lime Gold than any other colours.

lot_1250.jpg

This GT500 is a beautiful car.... back then the car was manufactured with this color. A 07 or 08 Shelby GT was never legend Lime so that is why I was joking about Puke Green. I actually really like the color, and I like his car; i'm just not too sure why he put the Shelby GT side stripes on a legend lime tribute.

Heck I hope it comes to Dyno Day...I want to see it in person. Care has been taken in making the car right. Just like previously posted there are tons of replicas out there of the original Shelby's... heck I may buy one of those myself next.

Thanks for all of your comments. I understand the sentiment and expected the rough ride and in no way will take any of those comments personally.

And I will be stopping by at the dyno day to say hi, though I won't be dynoing or staying too long.

Archived