TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Steeda under drive pullies

Everyone here realizes that the UD pulley kit for the 05-09 doesn't include an AC pulley right?

It's just the crank pulley/damper (smaller than stock) and the water pump pulley (bigger than stock) and that's it.

Just a heads up for any of those fellas that maybe didn't realize this.

Ken

No I didn't realize this. When I read "Steeda's underdrive pulleys slow down accessory speed by about 25% reducing parasitic accessory drag on the engine...." I figured the AC would be affected too.

555-3305-pulley.jpg

No I didn't realize this. When I read "Steeda's underdrive pulleys slow down accessory speed by about 25% reducing parasitic accessory drag on the engine...." I figured the AC would be affected too.

555-3305-pulley.jpg

it does affect the ac by changing the crank pully they reduced the speed/drag of all the things run by the belt hence the bigger water pump pully to prevent overheating.

Steeda finally called me back today. They said that I can absolutely re-use the stock crank pulley bolt.

All I'm missing is the 'line up stud' used to get the new pulley started. Anyone have one laying around?

Ken

Does anyone know if you can use the Steeda UDP with a FRPP 400 hp Whipple S/C. Any problems or are gains just to small to notice?

I bought mine from HORSBYT. The only reason he sold them was because he got the S/C, so I'm going to assume that it won't work.

You might want to ask him to be sure though.

Ken

Does anyone know if you can use the Steeda UDP with a FRPP 400 hp Whipple S/C. Any problems or are gains just to small to notice?

I believe this is counter productive? The performance behind UDP's is to slow down the accessories and thus allowing the crank to turn with less resistence. If you keep UDP's with the S/C then you're in essence turning the S/C slower as well which means it's pumping in less air. As a result, the FRPP tune would likely not work. Thus, i'm sure this is completely possible, but would require a retune. But this is in essense would be like packing rocks into the Speedo of an olympic swimmer.

One thing to realize is that the Ford Racing tune for the 400HP S/C or really any S/C for that matter (from Ford/Whipple) is driveability and saftey. I'm using the stock tune, but after talking to my tuner, he definitely agrees that there's likely another 20-30HP to be brought out of it. The tune is rich, the throttle response is mild, the timing assumes "normal" driving conditions. I'll have my "Custom" tuned at some point, but wanted to make sure there were no gremlins and at this point, the things is ROCK solid! Leave the UDP's out of the equation, the gains you'd get and the money you'd spend for a retune to get them would be asenine!

Steeda finally called me back today. They said that I can absolutely re-use the stock crank pulley bolt.

All I'm missing is the 'line up stud' used to get the new pulley started. Anyone have one laying around?

Ken

Sorry Ken. I sent you what I had. I looked in the box of "parts" and no bolts. Can you get it from Steeda?

Sorry Ken. I sent you what I had. I looked in the box of "parts" and no bolts. Can you get it from Steeda?

No sweat man, I knew that before I paid. It's not a big deal at all, really. I can definitely get it from Steeda. They've just been terrible at getting back to me.

I'll call again tomorrow. The guy was just waiting on a part # for the stud. There's no rush. Thanks again for the great deal!

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got around to installing the Steeda underdrive pulleys (from HORSBYT) and the Steeda billet pulleys (new from Steeda) today.

This was a bigger task than I assumed that it would be. All in all it took me about 2 1/2 hours. Luckily, I did it at work where I have every Snap-On and Craftsman tool known to man. Without the proper tools and at least intermediate mechanical ability, this job would be infinitely more difficult FYI.

I ended up never getting the 'line up stud' from Steeda. They promised twice to ship it but never followed through. So to get the new crank pulley/damper started, I just used the original crank pulley bolt with a much thinner washer (so that the bolt would reach the threads to start). I ran it down about 1/2 way, pulled the bolt back out, put the original washer on, then ran it back in till it stopped. I pulled the OEM bolt/washer out and used a brand new crank pulley bolt/washer from Ford to torque. FYI, Steeda told me that I could re-use the original crank bolt. This is a bad idea, however, as the bolt has been stretched and should be tossed. A new bolt/washer costs less than $20 from Ford. The crank isn't a good place to save nickels IMO.

Anyway, the billet pulleys were really easy to install, as was the new water pump pulley. The part about the crank pulley that was so tough was getting the OEM one out. There is very little room to get a 3-prong puller into place. I had a traditional puller all set up and ready to go, only to find that there were no threaded holes in the OEM pulley to pull from! If I were to do it over, I'd absolutely remove the electric fan first.

So here are a pile of photos I snapped while I was doing the install.

Ken

DSC04890.jpg

DSC04892.jpg

DSC04895.jpg

DSC04898.jpg

DSC04899.jpg

DSC04901.jpg

DSC04902.jpg

DSC04903.jpg

DSC04907.jpg

DSC04915.jpg

so how is it did you notice a difference?

I didn't expect a whole lot, but I'm pleasantly surprised. I notice a good bit more punch in 1st-3rd especially. It honestly made my drive home noticeably more fun.

I'd definitely recommend these for an NA car. Now I've got to get those Steeda charge motion plates in. I've been dragging on the installs lately, till today.

Ken

I didn't expect a whole lot, but I'm pleasantly surprised. I notice a good bit more punch in 1st-3rd especially. It honestly made my drive home noticeably more fun.

I'd definitely recommend these for an NA car. Now I've got to get those Steeda charge motion plates in. I've been dragging on the installs lately, till today.

Ken

Do you or anyone know how this will affect the AC? i.e. does it reduced its effectivess by 25%?

Ken

sounds good looks like i will be going thru with ordering them.

thanks

Do you or anyone know how this will affect the AC? i.e. does it reduced its effectivess by 25%?

Well the idea is to slow your accessories down, except for the water pump for obvious reasons, which is why they give you an oversized water pump pulley.

However, I'm not sure if that affects the ability of the A/C to keep the cabin cool. I would assume that once the system is charged, it would work as normal. Maybe it might take a bit longer for it to get going? I tested the A/C out today and it blasted ice cold immediately, but it's only 75 degrees or so here.

I won't have a real good report for another few days, as it's supposed to be over 90 this weekend.

sounds good looks like i will be going thru with ordering them.

thanks

Good luck greaser! Let us know how your install goes and whether you like them.

Ken

Well the idea is to slow your accessories down, except for the water pump for obvious reasons, which is why they give you an oversized water pump pulley.

However, I'm not sure if that affects the ability of the A/C to keep the cabin cool. I would assume that once the system is charged, it would work as normal. Maybe it might take a bit longer for it to get going? I tested the A/C out today and it blasted ice cold immediately, but it's only 75 degrees or so here.

I won't have a real good report for another few days, as it's supposed to be over 90 this weekend.

Good luck greaser! Let us know how your install goes and whether you like them.

Ken

will do ken thanks for the advise and help in deciding what way to go with my shelby. 90 :lol2: they are calling for snow here this sat night :banghead:

Archived