TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Not to be Morbid...but

matyellott

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"We all have the cars becuase we love them and love to drive the hell out of them; not becuase we are hoping to make money on them."

Kind of a bold statement to assume that you know the intrinsic motivations of each gt500 owner on the site. However the dash plaque is not a performance upgrade and it does cost $400 for a small piece of metal. This upgrade is unique to each car and a car is an investment, most of the people on this site will eventually sell their Shelby, hopefully for another one, to be pragmatic about it I will phrase the question another way. If Mr. Shelby decided to never signed another gt500 dash plaque ever again these would become collectors items, since you don’t think that some signed by Mr. Shelby is worth more then an unsigned version I will point you to this as evidence that it does. The standard non-signed first edition of his book sells for around $30 the signed one is selling for $150. I am glad you "drive the hell" out of your car. I drive mine also, however this is the gt500 page not the Shelby Gt page... and seriously you own a smart car. i don't got into the Super Snake pages and make comments. When I said I wasen't trying to offend anyone I meant it, sorry if that has happened, however how many of you can honestly say when you purcahse you dash plaq for a large some of money you diden't even has this though for a moment?

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Cobra-Story-by-Car...%3A1%7C294%3A50

ah, cut the guy a break....he got his question answered, so time to move on........why turn this into a debate about whether a question is appropriate or not.......he acknowledged the question was morbid, but obviously wanted to know if this was something he should do just based on economics.....with the way the economy is right now, a lot of folks are starting to look costs, value, etc.............remember, not everyone understands the culture of shelby owners and their regard for CS, maybe just lighten up....

When Mr. Shelby does eventually pass away :cry: , how much more do you think our gt500s will be worth if we have the dash palque?

It should be priceless. It will be a one of one (the only signed car with that VIN). I bet millions. I'd get started on the ebay listing now.

I love my car. It's for enjoyment. I hope it doesn't depreciate as quickly as a Honda Accord, but I certainly do not expect it to appreciate. So if you bought it as an investment, expect to take a loss.

"We all have the cars becuase we love them and love to drive the hell out of them; not becuase we are hoping to make money on them."

Kind of a bold statement to assume that you know the intrinsic motivations of each gt500 owner on the site. However the dash plaque is not a performance upgrade and it does cost $400 for a small piece of metal. This upgrade is unique to each car and a car is an investment, most of the people on this site will eventually sell their Shelby, hopefully for another one, to be pragmatic about it I will phrase the question another way. If Mr. Shelby decided to never signed another gt500 dash plaque ever again these would become collectors items, since you don’t think that some signed by Mr. Shelby is worth more then an unsigned version I will point you to this as evidence that it does. The standard non-signed first edition of his book sells for around $30 the signed one is selling for $150. I am glad you "drive the hell" out of your car. I drive mine also, however this is the gt500 page not the Shelby Gt page... and seriously you own a smart car. i don't got into the Super Snake pages and make comments. When I said I wasen't trying to offend anyone I meant it, sorry if that has happened, however how many of you can honestly say when you purcahse you dash plaq for a large some of money you diden't even has this though for a moment?

...my advice, take a breath and move on without giving folks an opportunity to escalate....and my advice on the plaque is to just do it, because if you wait too long, then no chance to redo your decision....and it looks pretty good to boot.....

It should be priceless. It will be a one of one (the only signed car with that VIN). I bet millions. I'd get started on the ebay listing now.

I love my car. It's for enjoyment. I hope it doesn't depreciate as quickly as a Honda Accord, but I certainly do not expect it to appreciate. So if you bought it as an investment, expect to take a loss.

Mike, are you seeing goats over here???? :hysterical:

I do understand the culture of Shleby owners, I am one, I have read his book, I remeber waiting for the Viper to be unvailed when I was in high school because I know CS had a hand in design. Maybe I just have a dirrent view of death from being in the marines. Sorry if anyones feeling have been hurt. And I bought the plaque the day I got the car.

Kind of a bold statement to assume that you know the intrinsic motivations of each gt500 owner on the site. However the dash plaque is not a performance upgrade and it does cost $400 for a small piece of metal. This upgrade is unique to each car and a car is an investment, most of the people on this site will eventually sell their Shelby, hopefully for another one, to be pragmatic about it I will phrase the question another way. If Mr. Shelby decided to never signed another gt500 dash plaque ever again these would become collectors items, since you don't think that some signed by Mr. Shelby is worth more then an unsigned version I will point you to this as evidence that it does. The standard non-signed first edition of his book sells for around $30 the signed one is selling for $150. I am glad you "drive the hell" out of your car. I drive mine also, however this is the gt500 page not the Shelby Gt page... and seriously you own a smart car. i don't got into the Super Snake pages and make comments. When I said I wasen't trying to offend anyone I meant it, sorry if that has happened, however how many of you can honestly say when you purcahse you dash plaq for a large some of money you diden't even has this though for a moment?

Here is what a signed car looks like.

s770734492_2031658_3268.jpg

n770734492_2031598_7167.jpg

DUDE I didn't try to degrade you in any way. I just said that its not good to ask stupid questions. I own a several different autos and YES I own a smart car and I love the little bastard I use it for commuting I am sure you never even drove one so how can you comment on something you know nothing about and YES I own a big A$$ truck too along with a few other cars. I highly doubt you had your little dash plaque signed in person. The REAL sig on my car was in person. And if you want to start to get TIT FOR TAT your car is off the FOrd assembly line dude.

s770734492_2031658_3268.jpg

n770734492_2031598_7167.jpg

..so now you escalate, and insult all GT500 owners to boot?????? this is why folks get weary of internet forum boards :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Like I said guys, I wasen't trying to be morbid, however, everyone dies. Given the way that many lived his life I am sure he diden't have much to regret. I do drive my car, almost every day. I apoligize if the question seems out of line.

Don't worry about who you may have offened on this forum. I'd bet anyone who owns a Gt500 & had the car signed or paid 400.00 for the signed dash plaque, has for one small second, thought about how much more a signed car vs an unsigned car would be worth once Carroll Shelby passes away. It's inevitabale that he will some day die & his memorabilia will become more valuable. It wasn't a stupid or morbid question. I give you credit for asking a question that many have most likely asked themselves in the solitude of their garages. :cry:

Mike, are you seeing goats over here???? :hysterical:

It's the damnedest thing..............these freaking goats are drinking purple kool aid. (I'm on a kool aid kick...............I had a really sh*tty day yesterday............the classic things happen in 3's type day.......................so I'm getting my jollies out of messin' with the ka crowd. :hysterical:

Don't worry about who you may have offened on this forum. I'd bet anyone who owns a Gt500 & had the car signed or paid 400.00 for the signed dash plaque, has for one small second, thought about how much more a signed car vs an unsigned car would be worth once Carroll Shelby passes away. It's inevitabale that he will some day die & his memorabilia will become more valuable. It wasn't a stupid or morbid question. I give you credit for asking a question that many have most likely asked themselves in the solitude of their garages. :cry:

Actually, the question I've actually asked myself in the solitude of my garage is.............who actually signed it......... :hysterical: (and yes, I have one..........thought it looked cool and the money supposedly went to charity)

:lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk:

Actually, the question I've actually asked myself in the solitude of my garage is.............who actually signed it......... :hysterical: (and yes, I have one..........thought it looked cool and the money supposedly went to charity)

:lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk:

I actually have 4 signed items, and posted photos somewhere over on SM, maybe I should try to dig it out, because this is certainly not the first mention of the possibility.......my take on it is there is a lot of variance in his signature (lets face it, CS has to sign a bunch of these at a time, and his hand has to wear down a bit)....and at the end of the day, probably doesn't matter.....lots of signed items around....so kinda excludes the collectibility thing.....

I actually have 4 signed items, and posted photos somewhere over on SM, maybe I should try to dig it out, because this is certainly not the first mention of the possibility.......my take on it is there is a lot of variance in his signature (lets face it, CS has to sign a bunch of these at a time, and his hand has to wear down a bit)....and at the end of the day, probably doesn't matter.....lots of signed items around....so kinda excludes the collectibility thing.....

Ive thought the same thing as well, but then i compared my dash plaque closely with my air bag signature. They look spot on to one i saw from a guy on his old 66 gt350 so my doubts are gone! And yes i have thought the same thing. No one lives forever. We just hope they hang around long enough.....

I do understand the culture of Shleby owners, I am one, I have read his book, I remeber waiting for the Viper to be unvailed when I was in high school because I know CS had a hand in design. Maybe I just have a dirrent view of death from being in the marines. Sorry if anyones feeling have been hurt. And I bought the plaque the day I got the car.

Well matyellott, let me thank you for your service to our great country :)

Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I personally could care less what my car is worth as I will be long gone when or if it ever were to appreciate like the 60s cars did. I will drive the h*ll out of it and let the next owner worry about it. I do have the plaque and my car personally signed by Carroll but only because he is the man and it just completes the car.

IMG_4473_small.jpg

The man is 86 years old and lived an excellent, charmed life. Hope he lives well past 100. But geez, I thought it was a fair question. Didn't seem to me there was any interest or intention of hoping to make money on the signed dash plaque. Just an odd, curious question...which we all ask such curious questions. Hell, it's probably like a painting that goes way up in value after the artist pasts away. No harm in it. I love Carroll Shelby, I hope I live as long as he does. My first car @ 16 was a 1966 fastback GT350, Shelby Replica. Sold it in 1987 for college money and been kicking my self in the arse ever sense. 20 years later I could afford to buy a 2007 GT500 Cobra, which I proudly turned into a 40th Anniversary Upgrade. She puts out 590hp and 480 to the rear, per dyno at Quantum Performance in Farmers Branch Texas. Go Shelby!

Archived