TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The GT500 Deployment and an Open Letter to SVT

FordGeek

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the whole "BLOG" thing primarily because I don't have a lot of time to write. However, I do enjoy some of the postings in stangsunleashed and have recently read postings that resound loudly with me as well. Recently, I mirrored a fellow posters sentiment around the manner in which FORD is handling the rollout of the GT500. What the hell is going on. For starters the production version of the Shelby has evolved quite a bit in both style, and price, from the original concept model. I'm not sure if some of you were fortunate enough to listen in on some of the streaming video out of Detroit, but let me fill you in on something that is certain. The Shelby WILL NOT be base priced below $40K as originally planned. One of Ford's chief executives clearly indicated that the Shelby will offer the most value for a starting price of "...low 40's...". In fact, if you take into consideration the Barret Jackson auction for the right to buy the #1 2007 Shelby, the winning bidder will pay $648,000. That's $600,000 for the right to purchase the vehicle at MSRP. Thus, with options, this puppy will definitely push high $40s. Which brings me to the whole thing about the differences between production and concept. What happened to the cross-drilled rotors, what happened to the uniqe decklid and spoiler (the break light is on the spoiler in the concept vehicle - allows for further distinction between the GT model)...the list goes on. As a "...bleeding for enthusiast..." I'm especially distraught at the manner in which dealerships...you know, the places where you've been pumping your money over the years, are trying to screw us their most loyal customers when it comes to prioritizing who will get the Shelbys. This piece has pissed me off enough to fax a letter to SVT, which I'm sure will never be read, to voice my displeasure. Although some of the content now is a bit dated, I've included it for anyone who shares in my views:

To the talented folks at SVT,

I will be brief as I'm completely cognizant of the fact that you are all extremely busy. I have owned within the last 10 years a 1996, 1997, 2001, and 2003 cobra. In addition, I purchased an SVT focus in 2002 as well (I have the certificates to prove it - as I'm sure I'm in SVT's customer database as well). I have always admired the SVT program - ever since a good friend of mine purchased a brand new 1993 Cobra (I always loved the rims on that car!). As you might imagine I have supported SVT, its branding philosophy, and its vehicles unconditionally. When the 1999 Cobras were being bashed by all blogs, media, and Chevy freaks; I stood firm. There are many others like me that have, throughout the years, seen the ups and downs of the SVT program. But we rode it out because we knew things could only get better and more exciting. Now, with the introduction of the 2007 Shelby, I feel that after all of those years of support and loyalty we, the true die-hard enthusiasts of all things SVT/SVE/Ford Racing, have been forgotten.

I think it started out with the whole Power Lease campaign where, from my own linear perspective, non-ford/non-enthusiasts were compelled to "give it a shot" with the promise that they would be able to purchase the next generation SVT vehicle. This is fair, and given today's competitive automotive market, expected. But, what's in it for someone like myself who doesn't need to wait for a Shelby to come to market before adopting an SVT product and the Ford brand in general.

Now, it seems the inevitable has begun. Mountain View Ford (Tennessee) is the first, of what I'm sure will be an increasing number of dealerships, to begin auctioning the over MSRP premium (currently $17,000) for the Shelbys on EBAY. If you're curious, here's the url to the auction page:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustan...sspagenameZWDVW

Now my preferred, local Ford dealership is talking about some Power Lease vouchers that mostly likely will start making their rounds on EBAY as well, and they've assured me that they can only sell Shelbys for whatever the "market" dictates. I don't totally understand exactly what's going on, but I can't help but feel a little disenfranchised and depressed about the whole matter. I work hard for my money and a lot of it goes to my vehicles which currently include my 2003 cobra, a 1992 LX 5.0 coupe (with a Ford Racing crate engine of course), and my wife's Harley Davidson SC quad. But to pay $15,000 - $20,000 over sticker for the Shelby, regardless of how badly I want one, is simply way more than I can afford; not that I wouldn't be willing to pay for a "fair" markup.

I'm not even sure if anyone that can influence regional marketing and/or customer development will ever read this communication. But, if you do, please keep folks like myself in mind. I realize that dealerships ultimately price their cars according to whatever the market dictates, but I'm sure your SVT reps can influence them to treat folks like me with a little more respect and commitment. We'll always return the favor - in good times and bad.

BTW...in speaking with SVT, I was able to come up with a very high level allocation model they will be using to allocate the Shelbys to dealerships. Keep a lookout for that one.

The Powerlease offer in the Spring of 2004 was an interesting attempt to do two things: sell slow moving stock and generate interest in the next generation vehicle. If the 2004 Cobras and Lightnings were selling well I do not think there would have been a Powerlease program. I recall Ford offering one thousand Powerlease options, but it's my understanding only 300 or so folks actually went for it.

At the time I had a paid-up 2001 Cobra and didn't really need / want a 2004. Like many I anticipated the 2005 Cobra, but the Powerlease offer made it clear ther would be no 2005 or 2006. What to do? I projected how many miles the 2001 would have when the 2007 came out, and l decided that since the Powerlease was transferable (could be sold essentially) it was worth the gamble. Pretty much a business deal. However, I really do like the 2004 which I will definitely buy if I get jerked around much more on the 2007.

The key point with Powerlease is that it does not count against any dealer's allocation. You are therefore free to deal with any dealer and work any deal he's willing to take. That includes things like X-plan. As many have pointed out, the range of what dealers are willing to do varies widely. No dealer is required to make any deal. The one I'm working with sees no reason not to sell a car he would not sell otherwise even if it won't be at the price he'll get for the other GT500s he sells.

A note of caution to those who insist they have a written agreement on a GT500 that means something. The original Powerlease offer, which was still on the old SVT website as recently as a month ago under the 'News' heading, stated in writing that Ford would mail the Powerlease 'allocation' for the new Cobra (sic) by the end of June (2004). I still do not have my written agreement in hand. Oh, and there is no new Lightning as promised in the Powerlease press release either. SVT promises verbally they will live up to the agreement and I have no reason not to believe the folks on the SVT hotline are telling the truth (as they believe it to be). But I still do not have the promised paperwork - surely not a difficult thing to do. And yes, those folks at the SVT hotline have verified my name is on the 'list'. As I said on another thread below, this says a lot about the management as far as I'm concerned. What are they thinking? Are they thinking?

The SVT Lightning will be replaced with the SVT Adrenaline. The Lightning was alway offered as a regular cab 4x2 to keep weight down. Weight kills acceleration, braking, and cornering, so that was a no-brainer. The new generation F150 released in 2004 added 500 lbs to the truck. Don't tell me that you think 500 extra lbs would be OK in a Lightning. SVT was suddenly in a dilemma, and decided to wait for the restyle of the next smaller truck in the line up - Sport Trac. They needed to wait for the 2007 restyle as it would be the first Sport Trac with room for a V8 engine. The SVT Adrenaline will be awesome with the 2003-4 Cobra's 390hp 4.6L DOHC Supercharged V8 (that really makes 425hp). It will also have all-wheel-drive, independent suspension at all 4 corners, and a 6-speed automatic (versus the 4-speed in the last L). Lighter, more powerful, better gearing, better traction, etc. This new SVT truck will clearly outperform the Lightning and is worthy of the SVT badge. I believe that Ford will likely transfer PowerLease options for Lightning leasees to the Adrenaline.

I am sure that SVT will send paperwork to PowerLease holders once all the production details are finalized. The Adrenaline is likely going to become available in 2007 as a 2008 model (a year after the all-new Sport Trac debuts).

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Feb 3 2006, 04:35 PM) 3307[/snapback]

Well, I was wrong: Ford announced today that the Adrenaline will not become reality. They also announced that Ford GT production will end after the 2006 model year, so there will be no 2007 GT's.

Adrenaline - not surprising considering the cost cutting that Ford wants.

GT - kind of surprised, especially since the program has already paid for itself. Why not pump out one more model year, reap the profits and close out a great car with 3 solid years of production? I guess it could be due to the fact that there are still dealers who have GT's sitting on showroom floors and demand is waning. Those who wanted one have one, and those who were on the fence are still waiting as dealers sell for MSRP or below.

GT was originally a 3 year run, but now just 2 years due to slow sales. We had 3 2005's, with only one of them still here. It's available and advertised at MSRP. Click here to see this one.

We'll only get one 2006, and it was already special ordered for a guy at a similar price. Then that's it - no more GT's for us. I'm sure a lot of dealers that received 2 or 3 GT's in 2005 cut back to just one for 2006 like we did. Ford, seeing a sharp decline in orders from dealers, probably saw this as reason enough to cancel after 2006.

I told you so!!!!!

Bring on the Shelby Cobra Concept!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it will prove to be a much larger market for Ford and SVT.

And Damb, that car is HOT!!!!!!!

KingCobra.

Wow, a chance to *mildly* disagree with you, king Cobra. While I like the Cobra alot, the GR1 is the car for me! Like a Cobra Daytona, but modern. Very sexy! Can you say "V10"??? Ohhhhhh, yeah!

Wow, a chance to *mildly* disagree with you, king Cobra. While I like the Cobra alot, the GR1 is the car for me! Like a Cobra Daytona, but modern. Very sexy! Can you say "V10"??? Ohhhhhh, yeah!

I believe that Mr .Shelby would love to see the GR1 built before the Cobra. Just my opinion,less competition for him. That would be a car closer to the ZO6 price range and direct comp to the ZO6. B)

No offence taken crispy.

Although I do think the Cobra Concept is Hot, Hot, Hot!!!!

I just haven't "felt" the stirings from Ford about the GR1.

It doesn't seem as though they are currently moving toward that direction.

I also think the Cobra Concept would appeal to a broader market and sell more units,

and that's what Ford needs to do now is move product.

KingCobra.

No offence taken crispy.

Although I do think the Cobra Concept is Hot, Hot, Hot!!!!

I just haven't "felt" the stirings from Ford about the GR1.

It doesn't seem as though they are currently moving toward that direction.

I also think the Cobra Concept would appeal to a broader market and sell more units,

and that's what Ford needs to do now is move product.

KingCobra.

Both cars are awsome ,I'd love to have either one,but I think the Cobra would priced at around $100,000 and the GR1 around $80,000. At lease that is what I heard back at the NYAS in 05. If true the GR1 would be more attainable to more people. Who knows ,just a thought anyway? B)

PS: I couldn't afford either one ,it would be a major strrrrretch for me!

I would see the Cobra Concept priced more in the $65k range.

Personally I would use the Mustang platform, and use the Ford GTs all aluminum 5.4 V8!!!

What do you think???

Wouldn't need V10 (and would drive the cost up too much).

Between utilizing the Mustangs platform and the Ford GT engine, I think you could keep the price within $15k of the GT500.

KingCobra.

I would see the Cobra Concept priced more in the $65k range.

Personally I would use the Mustang platform, and use the Ford GTs all aluminum 5.4 V8!!!

What do you think???

Wouldn't need V10 (and would drive the cost up too much).

Between utilizing the Mustangs platform and the Ford GT engine, I think you could keep the price within $15k of the GT500.

KingCobra.

It's possible but that would be a totaly different car than the one we saw at NYAS. It would mean more R&D . I doubt Ford would put that kind of resources into the project since they already have invested so much already. Especially in their current financial situation. Besides a cheeper Cobra would be too much comp against Shelby's own Cobras. IMHO

That said ,I agree a $65,000 Cobra would probably sell very well if done correctly.

Both cars are awsome ,I'd love to have either one,but I think the Cobra would priced at around $100,000 and the GR1 around $80,000. At lease that is what I heard back at the NYAS in 05. If true the GR1 would be more attainable to more people. Who knows ,just a thought anyway? B)

PS: I couldn't afford either one ,it would be a major strrrrretch for me!

That is the second-to-the-last thing that I heard about these two cars. Here's the last thing I heard: the GR1 is dead. Still trying to confirm it for sure, but it looks bad for "my" GR1. :(

As far as the Cobra concept, I know it went back to the drawing board (not really, it went back to be remodeled), and that's the last I heard. I would not be shocked to see this killed off, too. :( I am snooping again on this information, and will update if I hear anything else, whether it's contrary or not...

I would be very surprised to see the Cobra Concept get dropped.

I'd put money on it going to production for '08 or '09.

I don't think they need to do any redevelopement on the chassis or engine work they've already done.

Time will tell.

KingCobra.

Cobra concept (Daisy) was already killed off. Shelby didn't really like it, and not enough public support for it. The GR1 had a much better chance of production, and was to have been built on a modified Ford GT chassis (with the engine up front, though) at the Wixom plant. However, with the GT getting canned and the Wixom assembly plant being mothballed after 2006, the GR1 is dead now. The only possibility for saving the GR1 would be to contract it out to Saleen, Roush, etc.

So, back on track....I know someone who called SVT today. SVT guy indicated that they bumped up production plans to 10,000/year for- at a minimum- 2 years. Holy cow-a-toli! :blink: I hope that's true......then I can say "MSRP for me!" By the way, that would be a nice bone to throw us...

Woohoo, then we all can have one? For me, just two, no three..... :blink: I have to get a hold on myself.

Archived