TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Speedo calibration with gear change

I have read several threads concrening the different gear ratios etc. I will be changing my rear gear on the 2007 SGT and hope someone that has been through this can share with me the best method of re- calibrating the speedo. I understnad that a calo f sort is required but have not taken that path before. Any suggestions or experinced guys and gals :headscratch: out there I would really appreciate the input. Thanks Much, billy

I have read several threads concrening the different gear ratios etc. I will be changing my rear gear on the 2007 SGT and hope someone that has been through this can share with me the best method of re- calibrating the speedo. I understnad that a calo f sort is required but have not taken that path before. Any suggestions or experinced guys and gals :headscratch: out there I would really appreciate the input. Thanks Much, billy

i just ordered a tune from vmp tuning in floriday, they ask your specs what you want to do with the car and offer verious tuning options, they have a section specifialy for the sgt. you can tell them what gears your running and they will do the calcs for you so your speedometers spot on. their it is somewhat expsensive but its far better then a "canned" tune.

check them out give justin a call, thiese are the guys most of my club uses, we also use brenspeed.

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p...6&parent=88

If you have a programmer (SCT, Diablo, etc), you just plug it in, scroll through the vehicle settings, and select your new gear ratio.

If not, you'll have to have a shop do it for you at your expense. Good luck.

Ken

i just ordered a tune from vmp tuning in floriday, they ask your specs what you want to do with the car and offer verious tuning options, they have a section specifialy for the sgt. you can tell them what gears your running and they will do the calcs for you so your speedometers spot on. their it is somewhat expsensive but its far better then a "canned" tune.

check them out give justin a call, thiese are the guys most of my club uses, we also use brenspeed.

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p...6&parent=88

Thanks, I used the link you provided and it appears they know what they are doing. I'll alos look a purchasing a tuner.

Billy

post-23697-1236741181_thumb.jpg

post-23697-1236741181_thumb.jpg

If you have a programmer (SCT, Diablo, etc), you just plug it in, scroll through the vehicle settings, and select your new gear ratio.

If not, you'll have to have a shop do it for you at your expense. Good luck.

Ken

Thanks Ken. Is ent you a message also. After looking at what all you are doing to your SGT I had a few questions but did not want ot tie up a lot of time on the form.

Thanks,

-Billy

Thanks Ken. Is ent you a message also. After looking at what all you are doing to your SGT I had a few questions but did not want ot tie up a lot of time on the form.

Thanks,

-Billy

No sweat, I sent you a pretty detailed response. I hope I was able to help you out some!

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with the Ford dealer today about the recalibration of the speedo when they swap out the rear gear. They told me that they could not 'legally' go in with a tuner and recalibrate the computer for the correct speed reading. They mentioned to me that I'd have to buy a tuner and basically told me I was on my own. . . . . SO . . . . . What do those of you who have gone through this suggest?

I plan to have the gears done at the dealership when they complete the hood scoop/stripe warranty work. The Salesman I bought my car from is offering a labor discount which is making it this more financially interesting.

Should I pony up the cash and purchase a tuner? If so - any suggestions on which one is the 'go to' tuner everyone seems to be using? Am I going to run into any situations where an aftermarket part I buy is going to come with a tuner? (Supercharger)

I'd hate to buy a tuner - and end up with 2 because the supercharger I buy later will come with one.

Is this something that I could have one of my friends simply do for me if they already have a tuner?

I'm confused - looking for direction. Thanks!

Trevor

Trevor,

your service man is an idiot. I have had my ford lot change my speedo on several vehicles when I increased tire sizes on my 4x4 trucks. went from stock to 35" tires then to 37" tires. they also had to change it when I installed the gears in it. Find another dealer.

Chris

Hey guys,

This topic of using the tuner can be found on a current thread called "A little advice please" SCT Tuner thread. I added my reply tonight as I am having trouble with the new tuner I purchased or most likely my ingorance of how to use this stuff. I'm new to the game of tuning. Look several threads (topics) below this one.

Anyway, I wanted to pass that along to you as there may be some helpful info on that thread.

Thanks,

-Billy

Archived