TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Lightning vs. GT500?

So i'm on the highway today cruising around, and a Ford Lightning pickup rolls up next to me to make it very clear he wanted to race. I resisted the tempation, especially since my wife was next to me (and she would have had a heart attack), but I have to admin it was tempting with a wide open straighaway ahead. After a few seconds, he punched it. We were already doing 70 or so, but it seemed to me that he did not roll off that fast.

Are all of the Lightnings supercharged, or only some of them? It didn't sound like it had a supercharger, and to be honest, from the way my car sprints from 70 mph, I feel like I woulda ran circles around him.

Thoughts?

Don't know if he was stock, or what generation it was. It was orange with a fancy front grill. Mine's not quite stock either, though. I have the C&L racing intake and tune from VMP, along with the KR mufflers. I should be running around 510+- rwhp, but i've never had it dyno'd yet. Hmmm....

All 99-04 SVT Lightnings are supercharged. 360 or 380 hp from the factory. 3.55 or 3.73 gears from the factory. All are 4-speed automatics. Bone stock, they are low to mid 13 second trucks in the 1/4 mile, so a GT500 is about a second quicker in the 1/4 mile (assuming traction). There are plenty of modded Lightning's running 12's, 11's, and even 10's in the 1/4 mile, so you never know what you'll be up against when you line up with one. April 2009 MM&FF magazine had a dragstrip shootout of 03/04 SVT Cobras vs 07/09 GT500's vs 99/04 SVT Lightnings. It was amazingly close!!!

All 99-04 SVT Lightnings are supercharged. 360 or 380 hp from the factory. 3.55 or 3.73 gears from the factory. All are 4-speed automatics. Bone stock, they are low to mid 13 second trucks in the 1/4 mile, so a GT500 is about a second quicker in the 1/4 mile (assuming traction). There are plenty of modded Lightning's running 12's, 11's, and even 10's in the 1/4 mile, so you never know what you'll be up against when you line up with one. April 2009 MM&FF magazine had a dragstrip shootout of 03/04 SVT Cobras vs 07/09 GT500's vs 99/04 SVT Lightnings. It was amazingly close!!!

What was strange was that I did not hear the s/c whine, at least not like I'm used to. It didn't sound to me like it had a s/c, but maybe it just sounds different. :unsure:

if it was a true lightning, you would have def. heard the blower. I have owned two, one '99 and an '03 both eatons where loud, when I ported the "03 it was crazy loud. They are quick, but it still is a truck (way light in the ass), you'd of killed him.

Chris

Orange was never a factory color for the Lightning in any year. If it was a real Lightning it must have been repainted. I've had two of them, a 1993 and my 2000 which is my daily driver. My 07 GT500 is faster than my Lightning. Nine years and 58,000 trouble free miles on the Lightning.

By the way the 1999-04 Lightnings really are 155 mph pick-up trucks.

1993-1995 Lightning 351 HO 240 horsepower

1999-2000 Lightning 5.4L 2-valve Supercharged 360 horsepower

2001-2004 same engine with larger air box, larger intercooler and recalibrated computer, 380 horsepower.

I ran my stock 04 L 2 weeks ago. Ran a best of 13.8 without DR's. Very difficult to hook up the trucks with out the DR's and traction bars. The SC whines pretty loud in them, one reason is the hood blanket was not installed due to SC clearances. Took the GT500 out there last Wednesday night ran a best of 12.9 without DR's. Very tricky not busting the F1's loose 1-3rd.

I added a 4 lb lower, CAI and VMP tune to the L last Thursday night. It might be close now with a stock GT500. You just think the GT500 is heavy the L's are 4670 lbs.

Dynoed the L a couple of weeks ago and it was 365 RWHP. The GT500 is 509 RWHP with a CAI, exhaust and tune.

What was strange was that I did not hear the s/c whine, at least not like I'm used to. It didn't sound to me like it had a s/c, but maybe it just sounds different. :unsure:

Might have had a KB or Whipple as they do not make the same sound as a ported Eaton. Lightning with pulley,Cai and tune can be a low 12 truck. They are much better suited to a dig race and would be at a disadvantage from a 70 roll but if it had a built block with power adders you could have seen tailgate. There are also starting to be more turbo conversions as well. I am real close to getting my 3rd Lightning daily driver. Love the Shelby but miss the L for the commute. Nothing like it.

I had one pull on me from a dig. Looked built, drag radials, suspension work and who knows what tricks under the hood.

I had a good launch but broke em loose a bit in the upper end of first, let off at the end of 2nd and he had me by 2 lengths.

Could not here a supercharger because the exaust was LOUD!!!

Time for some power upgrades!

I gotta say it looks funny when a truck pulls you!!!

Orange? My first thought is a wannabe, but you never know, could have been a TN fan! Where I live, L-150's are about as rare as GT 500's. I can think of maybe, 3 I've ever seen up close and personal.

The limit for most lightnings is 480whp. With traction mods most dont break into the 11's.

Perhaps with a stock blower. My 2003 I sold to get the GT500 had a KB 2.6 and a JDM built bottom end. 640+rwhp on 93 and 10.85s all day long on 305 Nitto DRs

I have to say that I feel like I missed a great opportunity, since the Lightnings are not that common. What are the odds to have one pull up next to you at 70 mph with light traffic?

I tell ya, if my wife weren't next to me... She wouldn't have lectured me, but she just gets very nervous at high speeds.

Maybe I avoided an arrest?? That's how I'll look at it.

Oh and btw, my wife says it was red, not orange (oops I'm colorblind).

I tell ya, if my wife weren't next to me... She wouldn't have lectured me, but she just gets very nervous at high speeds.

I have the same deal palace, I had mine cry on me one day just letting loose a bit on a back road. First week I had the car, I was at a light a built 300 z pulls up next door. I'm like, I NOT going to do anything. The wife was eating a dish of ice cream. So anyway I take off from the light nice and easy pulled ahead of the 300, not racing just driving normal but peppy. All of a sudden he punches it and screams past. I'm like :censored: it, dropped it to second and the car snaps to attention with some serious authority. Now I'm pulling up on him like a bat out of hell shift chime goes off. Wife lets out a yelp, loses control of her dish of ice cream which lands in my lap. End of race. 300 z guys now gloating. I learned my lesson.

Shes a real sweet heart though, I'd trade the car in a second before I'd trade her. But going fast with her is no good.

Down here, Lightnings are pretty common and they are plenty fast. Ive driven in a "spirited manner" next to a newer one in my '94 Supra TT (sans wife), they are no joke. The Supra ate it, but it was faster than I though it was going to be. The Supra is about as fast as a stock GT 500 give or take. At high speed Lightnings are pushing a lot of air, that works against them.

KC666

:rockon:

I have the same deal palace, I had mine cry on me one day just letting loose a bit on a back road. First week I had the car, I was at a light a built 300 z pulls up next door. I'm like, I NOT going to do anything. The wife was eating a dish of ice cream. So anyway I take off from the light nice and easy pulled ahead of the 300, not racing just driving normal but peppy. All of a sudden he punches it and screams past. I'm like :censored: it, dropped it to second and the car snaps to attention with some serious authority. Now I'm pulling up on him like a bat out of hell shift chime goes off. Wife lets out a yelp, loses control of her dish of ice cream which lands in my lap. End of race. 300 z guys now gloating. I learned my lesson.

Shes a real sweet heart though, I'd trade the car in a second before I'd trade her. But going fast with her is no good.

Down here, Lightnings are pretty common and they are plenty fast. Ive driven in a "spirited manner" next to a newer one in my '94 Supra TT (sans wife), they are no joke. The Supra ate it, but it was faster than I though it was going to be. The Supra is about as fast as a stock GT 500 give or take. At high speed Lightnings are pushing a lot of air, that works against them.

KC666

:rockon:

So let me get this straight you let your wife eat ice cream in you GT500 :)

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but wanted to clarify that if the F150 that rolled up on you was orange, it was probably a "boss edition" and not a Lightning. Ford made this truck in either yellow or orange. I believe the only year for the orange was in 2003. They were not supercharged, but had the 5.4 Triton n/a motor. You would of slaughtered it!

Now as far as Lightnings go, and Pat can attest to this, be careful on which ones you play with. True, a stock L would not stand much of a chance against a Shelby but an L with mods is no slouch.

I recently purchased an 09 GT500 and have had 3 Lightnings, currently still have 1 of them and it would surprise you just how fast an L can be. Mine puts down 686hp at the wheels on 91 pump gas with torco on the street program.

DSC_0141.jpg

P1010005.jpg

002.jpg

Not to derail the forum, but I just watched a 1 hour show on Speed last night about the 2010 F-150 Raptor and the Raptor R model that Ford raced (races?) in the Baja 1000.

HOLLY COW! The Raptor is one formidible truck. Fast as a scalded dog, and has suspenson like a Kanagroo's legs!

I would love to have a Raptor in my stable.

My Lightning runs 11.80's on DR's with 1.5 60ft times. I sure wouldn't want to race it with my shelby on the street from light to light. 60MPH shelby would take it. Ive race everything i could find on the street with my truck. It'll beat almost anything on the street from 0 to 60 with 4.10 gears and 2400 stall speed converter. Street my truck is more fun to drive then my car. But my car gets more attention. Its fun when people come up after a race and say WTF do you have it that truck. :hysterical3:

It could have been this orange one and you would have gotten your arse kicked.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/feat...ning/index.html

Bob is now just shy of 800 rwhp with nitrous.

Johnny Lightning also has an orange Lightning that runs low tens.

Check out this list and you will see there a lot of fast Lightning's roaming the streets.

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/times-modifica...mile-times.html

Most of the 10 second trucks are street legal.

LB

So i'm on the highway today cruising around, and a Ford Lightning pickup rolls up next to me to make it very clear he wanted to race. I resisted the tempation, especially since my wife was next to me (and she would have had a heart attack), but I have to admin it was tempting with a wide open straighaway ahead. After a few seconds, he punched it. We were already doing 70 or so, but it seemed to me that he did not roll off that fast.

Are all of the Lightnings supercharged, or only some of them? It didn't sound like it had a supercharger, and to be honest, from the way my car sprints from 70 mph, I feel like I woulda ran circles around him.

Thoughts?

If it was one of JJ's (Woodbine Motorsports) trucks good luck, he has a couple of 10 sec Lightings.

I see we know the same L guys as I frequent NLOC and am president of our local L club in AZ. Mine, on the new set up which I'm still breaking in, ran a best of 11.09 et on 91 pump gas with temps of 103* and a DA of 2800' on the street program. This fall after it cools down here I'll have a chance to run on a race tune. It's also set up with a dual n2o system which I should be able to run by Jan or Feb. Looking forward to seeing how she'll do then.

It is a blast to drive on the streets but it's been sitting in the garage since I got the GT500. What a great car and am enjoying having a stick shift vehicle again. I've got just over 400 miles on it now. I've been told that the car won't go into full boost until it reaches 500 miles or 50 starts, is that true? How much boost do these cars see at WOT stock? I've been babying it most of the time, leaned into it a couple of times but have been easy on it for now. I figure the first 1000 should be kind miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived