TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Motor Oil Level

I know, this sounds like a dumb question, but I took my '08 GT convertible into my local dealer (where I bought it) for the 1st 3,000 mile oil & filter change. After I took the car home, I checked the oil level and saw that it was filled up above the top hole on the dipstick to the top edge of the cursive "FoMoCo" logo.

Of course, the Ford Mustang owners manual says that the level is not to be above the top hole on the dipstick or you risk engine damage, which is obvious. I'm not finding anything in the Shelby manual other than the motor takes 6 quarts of oil, which is the same as what it says in the Ford manual. How tough can it be to count to 6 quarts when filling the sump?

Anyway, is the oil level on the Shelby modified motor supposed to be higher than the standard Mustang GT or are my dealer's techs a bunch of bloody idiots?

Thanks!

They are idiots. Too much oil, I believe, is not good and can blow seals or worse. When I change oil, I add all but the last quart, start it up at idle just to circulate. Then, check the dipstick and add only what's necessary to reach the full line.

Being in a hurry they may not have let all the old oil drain.

Or they didn't bother to change the filter and then proceeded to put in 6 quarts.

Definitely sounds like its time to find another place to change the oil next time or even better- do it yourself! In the meatime, you can just drain a little out from the oil pan and you should be fine (its probably not worth trying to get the oil change place to do it since they'll likely screw something else up!)

-yellow pony

You don't have to worry about anything, it won't hurt your engine by having extra oil in it. When we raced oval track we had to use stock oil pans with 5qt capacity without baffles, we always filled them up with 7 1/2 quarts of oil, mainly because all the oil would slosh to the right side of the engine while your racing so you had to make sure you had enough on the other side so as not to starve the left side of the engine. I ran one engine for 3 years like this and never had any "main seal" or "valve seal" or "head gasket" problems. And of course you say "well you were racing the engine and had to do that under harsh conditions", That engine sat idleing more than at race speed, all the times we had to wait in line, all the pace laps we took, all the caution laps, etc. you get the idea the oil was level at those times. And one more thing.............your oil won't get "whipped" or "foamed" unless moisture is present so don't worry about that. I'd say let this one go and the next time around make sure you check it before you leave. if there's extra and it bothers you have'm drain some out before you leave.

:hysterical:

I would still follow the Ford advise of keeping the oil level under the top hole on the

dip stick.........

Ha Grabber;

Seven Quarts is still okay in my GT-500................ :baby:

Archived