TEAM SHELBY FORUM

550 s/c vs 500 Whipple Kits

So I am trying to understand why the FRPP catalog shows a 550 Whipple Kit for the 07's and 08's.

However the 07 SGT Cars get a 500 hp kit at Quantum and at SAI but the Tasca guys seem to be getting the 550 hp kits put on 07's with the registry and the stripes....

Anybody know what is up with that? I understand that the CARB kits for the 07's (thus the SAI registry kits) are the 500hp kits...

Are the Tasca 550 kits for the 07s' as well?

Anyway just curious what the skinny is at Tasca?

Thanks!

The 550 kits are definately for the 07's, I am getting mine a week from Monday. I am not sure about the other Mod Shops, maybe they just have left over 500HP kits. I could be wrong, but I think all the kits ordered now are 550HP kits, besides the 400HP kit.

From my understanding and what I was told, the 07 kits were for the 07's only. They will not go onto the 08's. The 07 kits have a cold air intake and the 08's use the old airbox (it has the carbon paper inside it). The CARB specifications between the 07 and the 08 is completely different. And if you were to open the two kits, you would see a little bit of difference. Now, when we send off for the tuner, FRPP may have changed it to give it more HP up to 550 hp. I will check with them on Monday to find out.

Bud

It's my understanding that the pulley used on the 550hp kit is infact a smaller pulley than the one used on the previous 500hp kit.

There is also a different tune required due to the change in size of the pulley. But I'm sure there's a logical explaination for this matter.

I look forward to reading more about the response. I don't want to bash anyone or anything - I just want to learn more and make an educated decision for myself on my SGT. ;)

Trevor

The pulley on the 550 is 3.25 (I know this for sure) on the 500 it was 3.375 (pretty sure that was the number on the 500).

Also if you go to fordracing.com it lists the 08-09 kit as 550hp, the 07 as 500hp. I know that Tasca is installing the 550 on 06's and 07's for sure. Not sure what the other shops are doing. I also know that what Bud says is 100% correct on the cold air intake and the CARB/EOB, however if you own an 08 Ford Racing after your install will sell you a Cold Air intake if you want it.

Call me crazy, and many have, but isn't trying to develop 550 on a stock 4.6 like pulling the pin on a hand grenade? How long can the engine last at that level?

From what has been posted, so far so good 69. Dennis at Tasca has said they have not had one failure, the tune was developed extensivly at Ford, they would not sell it if it would instantly grenade your block. I also spoke with Quantum at one point about the 500 kit and they said it has not caused anytrouble at all to the cars.

I have seen the FRPP site list the 550 for the 07 too, at one spot and not in others...that is why I am confused.

I think it was dundelion who was expecting the 500 kit and FRPP shipped the 550 kit to his installer instead...interesting...

As always Bud is on it!

Thanks Bud for your reply!

The pulley on the 550 is 3.25 (I know this for sure) on the 500 it was 3.375 (pretty sure that was the number on the 500).

Also if you go to fordracing.com it lists the 08-09 kit as 550hp, the 07 as 500hp. I know that Tasca is installing the 550 on 06's and 07's for sure. Not sure what the other shops are doing. I also know that what Bud says is 100% correct on the cold air intake and the CARB/EOB, however if you own an 08 Ford Racing after your install will sell you a Cold Air intake if you want it.

Hardluck the 550 for 07's is here....

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=9889

The 500-550 kit difference is the addition of the 11psi pulley and a very minor tune difference. Add the 11psi pulley yourself and you are right near 550, that is if you have a Whipple now. The pulley is $129 and takes 1 beer to install. :happy feet:

i am hoping that is it. My 500 s/c was installed Feb of 2008. I logged on to frp today and checked the registration for my procal tune. I am trying to paste exactly what it shows I have registered. Bottom line, the registration shows I have the 550kit, but I know it was 500hp when I bought the kit and my procal has 500hp tune on its label. I too plan to call frp tomorrow and find out what i can do to upgrade. I would expect the pulley makes sense and I may have to buy another tune. HOping for cheap HP upgrade. The rwhp dynoed in August 2008 at 465. See paste below.

M-6066-M11P7Polished Finish

Fits 2007 Mustang GT with MANUAL transmission. Does not fit 2008 Mustang GT.

Produces 550 hp at 6000 RPM with 93 octane at approximately 11 psi of boost!

Produces 542 lb-ft of torque at 4400 RPM

Kit includes intake manifold, supercharger, drive belt, and all other accessories for installation of the supercharger

Includes Pro-Cal tool voucher with kit

Premium fuel required

Similar to 400 hp kit but with smaller pulley, complete air to liquid intercooler system and dual fuel pump, fuel pump driver, and harness

Due to multiple calibrations, online registration is required to receive Pro-Cal tool after purchase.

E.O. #D-231-28

Engine calibrations are developed and supported for U.S. and Canadian vehicles only

Call me crazy, and many have, but isn't trying to develop 550 on a stock 4.6 like pulling the pin on a hand grenade? How long can the engine last at that level?

Gentlemen,

FRPP parts receive more high mileage durability testing than any other parts you could put on your Mustang. If this kit was developed at some local speed shop I would concur with the above assessment. Having driven my 500 hp Whipple equipped Shelby GT for almost a year now I can say with some certainty that it's not a hand grenade. It bolted right on and the supplied tune resulted in perfect air fuel ratios throughout the engines entire rpm range. These kits have undergone substantial high mileage durability testing by Ford. Any increase in an engine's power output, especially if that increased power is used regularly, will shorten an engine's life. Your stock Mustang engine would probably go 200,000 miles and a Whipple equipped car might only go 100,000+ miles. I don't know, I am speculating here. What I do know is that these FRPP kits have undergone more durability testing than supercharger kits from any other manufacturer. The Ford Motor Company has resources that no aftermarket company has. And we have a ton of members who have installed these kits and have been using them for a couple years now. I have not read of one single failure! Will my supercar crushing, euro car humiliateor, jump to hyperspace GT/SC provide me with as many trouble-free miles as a new four-door Honda Accord. I doubt it. But after a year of trouble-free sewing machine smooth operation, I certainly don't consider it to be a hand grenade with the pin pulled, although that's what it feels like has just gone off behind my A** when I step on the gas in first gear. :happy feet: I love everything about my GT/SC.

Chip

monday morning. Just hung up with FRP tech. Very nice helpful guy. Bottom line there is a revised head unit on the s/c for the 550hp system. Whipple has produced a new head with improved cooling that facilitates an revised tune.

At minimum, you would need a new head adapter and a new tune. Using the new tune would create serious heating issues. This is according to FRP.

I am waiting for Whipple to open up on the West Coast to find out viability of this change. Only guessing, but I bet it is not a change out and go solution.

monday morning. Just hung up with FRP tech. Very nice helpful guy. Bottom line there is a revised head unit on the s/c for the 550hp system. Whipple has produced a new head with improved cooling that facilitates an revised tune.

At minimum, you would need a new head adapter and a new tune. Using the new tune would create serious heating issues. This is according to FRP.

I am waiting for Whipple to open up on the West Coast to find out viability of this change. Only guessing, but I bet it is not a change out and go solution.

you could also email or call Dennis at Tasca, he is up on all the Whipple units and tunes

+1.

I got the same info from FRPP just now. He also said that they come direct from Whipple...so the question is...550 all around now...that torque number is insane...542 ft lbs....wow... :happy feet:

Whipple told me its pulley change your 500hp kit pulley for the added HP. I believe Kenny Bells were making more boost for bragging rights and Whipple responded with more boost. There is a new head also thats supposed to be more efficient but largely it comes down to how much boost you're making.

I have the 08 kit with the 07 open filter and tune and never heard anything about a new head. I was told the pulley (boost) and tune. Whipple has better head units than the previous year (08 on mine) but the tune and boost is it. Also the 550/542 is at the crank. I'm getting 470 at the wheels which is more than enough for this engine. Mike Malicoat at Whipple can explain to what is on my car but may not because it's the only one out there like it for 08 with the prototype FRPP tune. Do the match 550hp x 15% loss = my 470rwhp with the stock tune. It's a rich but safe FRPP tune. Forgot one, Whipple makes these for FRPP and did the co-research with FRPP and by far the info I received was more accurate than FRPP. You are not getting the design engineer at FRPP when you call nor will you get him. Crap forgot another, I would also not recommed going over the 550hp level or custom tune it leaner as the engine will certainly die a fast death. You are talking 550hp out of basically a 289ci engine with stock internals. Just my 2c.

Definitive update from Dennis at Whipple and Mike at Whipple. There seems to be generation 1 and generation 2 HO s/c for the 4.6. Here is what I found out on my side.

I have a 3.375 pulley. Mike declared that my unit is a first generation unit. Thus, I need the following whcih I can order from Whipple

((warning, do not use my post to diagnose YOUR needs, email dennis@whipplesuperchargers.com)))) Use the Pro's, not the Bozo's like me!

1 each

3.125 pulley

122.3 belt

76 mm idler pully

total cost is 269..97 plus shipping

He instructed me to fill out a form on line, send it in and they will sell the parts directly to me.

Both gen 1 and gen 2 are upgradable.

There is NO tune required or necessary unless your tune has been altered from the factory supplied tune sent with your unit

Cheap horsepower!

I wrote to Dustin Whipple today trying to get a cold air intake for my car. Waiting to hear back. I know it can be done. Tasca says it has to be re-tuned but I know others have not had to have it re-tuned. Come on Dustin write me back, especially since the stock airbox is cutting up the underside of my hood.

Gentlemen,

FRPP parts receive more high mileage durability testing than any other parts you could put on your Mustang. If this kit was developed at some local speed shop I would concur with the above assessment. Having driven my 500 hp Whipple equipped Shelby GT for almost a year now I can say with some certainty that it's not a hand grenade. It bolted right on and the supplied tune resulted in perfect air fuel ratios throughout the engines entire rpm range. These kits have undergone substantial high mileage durability testing by Ford. Any increase in an engine's power output, especially if that increased power is used regularly, will shorten an engine's life. Your stock Mustang engine would probably go 200,000 miles and a Whipple equipped car might only go 100,000+ miles. I don't know, I am speculating here. What I do know is that these FRPP kits have undergone more durability testing than supercharger kits from any other manufacturer. The Ford Motor Company has resources that no aftermarket company has. And we have a ton of members who have installed these kits and have been using them for a couple years now. I have not read of one single failure! Will my supercar crushing, euro car humiliateor, jump to hyperspace GT/SC provide me with as many trouble-free miles as a new four-door Honda Accord. I doubt it. But after a year of trouble-free sewing machine smooth operation, I certainly don't consider it to be a hand grenade with the pin pulled, although that's what it feels like has just gone off behind my A** when I step on the gas in first gear. :happy feet: I love everything about my GT/SC.

Chip

Chip, I am an old school racer and admittedly know little about supercharging. Most of what I have learned about superchargers has been on this site and from reading. However, something things don't change. A cast iron crank, pressed rods, and cast pistons are not compatible with 11 psi of boost and 550 HP. I am sure the engine could go forever if you don't put your foot in it. But you will if you have the SC. Again, I could be wrong but I do not see how this engine can turn 550 HP out of a stock lower end. I am sure it can for awhile but I would think it would lower the life dramatically. Again, I have been away from racing for nearly 40 years so maybe some things have changed. I am sure the SC can last forever but it is the rods and pistons that I would be concerned. It is obvious that you are very knowledgable on this issue.

I am very curious about this "stock air box" / available cold-air intake situation.

I'm assuming that SAI and Authorized Mod Shops can install the Whipple 550 S/C on the 2008's with the stock looking airbox. . . . and it's 50 state legal. It's then certified by SAI - marked in the registry as a GT/SC and put out on the road. 50 State legal.

THEN you can purchase the Cold Air kit from Whipple - Post SAI certification/approval and install it yourself???

I am more curious if a re-tune will be needed? Once you install the Cold-Air Intake, is it no longer 50 state legal?

I'm looking for a little more detailed information on this matter.

I am thinking about the Whipple install - but want to do away with the factory looking airbox and want to make sure that I'm not messing anything up by doing so.

Trevor

I am very curious about this "stock air box" / available cold-air intake situation.

I'm assuming that SAI and Authorized Mod Shops can install the Whipple 550 S/C on the 2008's with the stock looking airbox. . . . and it's 50 state legal. It's then certified by SAI - marked in the registry as a GT/SC and put out on the road. 50 State legal.

THEN you can purchase the Cold Air kit from Whipple - Post SAI certification/approval and install it yourself???

I am more curious if a re-tune will be needed? Once you install the Cold-Air Intake, is it no longer 50 state legal?

I'm looking for a little more detailed information on this matter.

I am thinking about the Whipple install - but want to do away with the factory looking airbox and want to make sure that I'm not messing anything up by doing so.

Trevor

Yes.

HorsbyT did this with his. He added the Cold Air intake after it met CARB/EOB by a shop. The Cold Air according to Tasca will add 10hp, they say that it will need to be re-tuned. However, if you send your numbers dyno. a/f to Whipple they will tell you for sure if you need to be re-tuned or if you are good just to bolt it on. You get a CARB/EOB sticker when you get the first portion installed...it will still pass the sniffer with the cold air (I think). I am waiting to hear back from Dustin Whipple on all of this. Right now the stock box hits on the underside of my hood and with driving it rubs off the paint. I cut my insulation tonight and put it back in to try and help with this problem. Looks like the cold air kit is $329 from Whipple.

Standby...Dustin is on and writing to me.....

You can get the kit both ways. It depends on the state where you get it installed or live. The computer has to be reflashed for the cold air kit and it adds 10-20RWHP. Sounds like whipple has to reflash at their location if you want the cold air for an 08. The MAF's are different on the stock box vs. the cold air, but it is plausible to have it done.

and 3/10 from Michael at Whipple:

"The open element filter system will not give you any more HP than the one you have on the car now. It will require a re-tune as well."

Hey Dustin...

So is there indeed a difference between the old 500 head unit and the new 550 head unit? Are the tunes then the same? Thanks!

Edit:

Also is the output the same for 07 and 08 550 kits or is there a difference?

And what kind of dyno numbers are you guys seeing with the 550 on the 07's.

Thanks for your time, your replies on this site directly caused me to go with your product. Awesome to have you on here!

Hey Dustin...

So is there indeed a difference between the old 500 head unit and the new 550 head unit? Are the tunes then the same? Thanks!

Edit:

Also is the output the same for 07 and 08 550 kits or is there a difference?

And what kind of dyno numbers are you guys seeing with the 550 on the 07's.

Thanks for your time, your replies on this site directly caused me to go with your product. Awesome to have you on here!

No, there is no difference in the head unit, see my prior post. Only pulley changes and belt. Whipple correct FRP's earlier statement.

There is a difference in head units 'ie' there is a Gen 1 and now Gen 2 which is a basic design difference. That really has nothing to do with the 550hp. The HP is derived from the smaller pulley thus 12psi boost and a tune change only if needed. What I mean there is the closed box definetly has a different tune and the open box on an 08 as well. The open box tune is only available from Whipple unless you custom tune it. FRPP supplies only CARB Cert tunes for the 07 and down open box units and now the 08 closed box unit. Regardless of the box going from 10-12psi on boost you typically don't have to re-tune. I would not get all wrapped up in the 500-550hp difference because it's not that big and the engine is only going to handle so much boost. The 16psi Shelby I knew of was great and fast but lasted only weeks.

:happy feet:

Archived