TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I Really Love Dealerships

Imatk

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To quote Larry The Cable Guy " All mechanics are idiots.... until your broke down and need your car repaired, then their your best friend"

:cry:

Unless the new "best friend" cannot get it running, then becomes a " :censored: idiot"!!!!!!!!!!

:hysterical:

This morning reaffirmed my opinion on warranties, extended warranties, and Ford dealerships.

I first call the local dealership (I live in League City Texas) and talk to one of the service managers.

I tell him that I would like to have the clutch and flywheel TSB performed on my car since it's a known issue and a design flaw.

I explain that I have the TSB and that the flywheel has been re-designed as the one from the factory on my 2007 will warp over time.

He tells me to "bring it on in and we'll get it done."

I say, "Ok great, so you can do the TSB?"

"Sure, no problem, bring it on by first thing tomorrow morning and we'll get it done."

So... I wake up at 6 am get ready and drive over so that I'm there before they even open the doors. Myself and two other people were waiting.

They open the doors and I get to speak with the same guy I spoke to yesterday. I explain to him that I am the person who called about the GT500 and having the TSB done, tell him my name and everything.

He says, "Oh yeah, ok, well what issues are you having with the clutch?"

Now at this point I can feel my blood start to boil.

I say, "I'm not having any issues right now. When we spoke yesterday I told you that remember? I wanted to get the TSB done as a preventative measure. Remember?"

He says, "Oh well we can't work on the car unless you're having a problem."

I honestly could not believe what was coming out of his mouth... but at the same time I TOTALLY expected it.

I've owned a Mustang since 1991 and NOTHING has changed-- NOTHING. This is precisely why I NEVER worry about warranties, and I NEVER buy extended warranties.

For many years now I will ONLY take my Mustangs to a shop that specializes in Mustangs and I make sure I meet the person first and check out the shop before they even touch my car. I do this, and have done this, because dealership service departments either don't listen, don't care, or don't know what the hell they're doing... or they give you a hard enough time that it isn't worth the hassle to get them to perform warranty work.

This dealership is no different.

After he said those words, I thanked him and walked out, knowing that NOTHING has changed in the last seventeen years.

I then called Lone Star Ford because someone here suggested them. I spoke with a guy on the phone and it was more of the same... except this time he didn't even bother to listen at all.

He said the same thing, "Bring it on in."

Except, thankfully for me, he said, "We'll check it out and give you an estimate of the cost."

ESTIMATE OF THE COST!

I AGAIN repeated myself by explaining that it's a TSB and that it is a known issue covered under warranty.

I told him I wasn't having any issues and wanted to get it done to prevent any further damage.

He asked if the car was drivable...

(Yes he really asked this)

I AGAIN said, "Yes the car is fine, I just would like to get the TSB done as a preventative measure."

He said, "Bring it down and we'll check it out and if there's no signs of abuse then we can fix it under warranty."

Do you think I took it to them?

No... I'll keep driving my car and I'm sure at some point the issue will crop up after my warranty expires then I'll take it to Patrick at PSI who I actually trust and I'll have to pay for it out of my own pocket, which is exactly why the service departments do what they do... so that people will give up and go away.

Good job Ford... you've trained them well.

EDIT... If anyone DOES know of a dealership in Houston that will do the TSB as a preventative measure I would appreciate you letting me know... although I won't hold my breath or anything ;)

Go read my thread titled "Force Recall / TSB Repairs". I had the same issue. Took it back to Planet Ford, Spring where I bought it. The Ford reps told me to go pound sand relative to warranty. They are on the verge of bankruptcy. They can't afford to cover the cost of their mistakes. The dealership did the right thing and covered the cost, but only because I bought it there and paid well over the sticker price. I was so persistent and provided them with so much information...plus a few threats (class action lawsuits, etc), that they submitted. I doubt seriously they would cover a TSB repair for someone they didn't sell the car from. But that's where the irony lies. I've seen plenty of posts on this forum whereby people have had dealerships do the TSB repairs no questions asked. I can't figure it out...why some do the TSB and others wont.

Good luck though.

Because the synchro's aren't being hurt if the clutch & flywheel are fine. Why fix something that doesn't need fixing? And when the clutch does start having problems, take the car in then before the syncro's are affected.

Unless of course it happens after your warranty which in that case you are screwed.

It's a design flaw and a known issue. The 07 cars did not have lube put on the input shaft which is also made out of steel which WILL cause it to rust over time.

When? Depends... but it WILL happen.

The new input shaft is nickle and so is the new flywheel. The new flywheel design is also different than the old steel one... and the new input shaft has also been redesigned as well.

If it wasn't a design flaw they wouldn't replace it with different parts-- PERIOD.

Go read my thread titled "Force Recall / TSB Repairs". I had the same issue. Took it back to Planet Ford, Spring where I bought it. The Ford reps told me to go pound sand relative to warranty. They are on the verge of bankruptcy. They can't afford to cover the cost of their mistakes. The dealership did the right thing and covered the cost, but only because I bought it there and paid well over the sticker price. I was so persistent and provided them with so much information...plus a few threats (class action lawsuits, etc), that they submitted. I doubt seriously they would cover a TSB repair for someone they didn't sell the car from. But that's where the irony lies. I've seen plenty of posts on this forum whereby people have had dealerships do the TSB repairs no questions asked. I can't figure it out...why some do the TSB and others wont.

Good luck though.

Yeah I read it... I'm glad you got yours done. I'm hoping I can get this fixed under warranty when it occurs, but I'm not expecting to. It will probably happen out of warranty and then I'll be screwed.

Unless of course it happens after your warranty which in that case you are screwed.

It's a design flaw and a known issue. The 07 cars did not have lube put on the input shaft which is also made out of steel which WILL cause it to rust over time.

When? Depends... but it WILL happen.

The new input shaft is nickle and so is the new flywheel. The new flywheel design is also different than the old steel one... and the new input shaft has also been redesigned as well.

If it wasn't a design flaw they wouldn't replace it with different parts-- PERIOD.

Correction the new input shaft is made out of the same material as the old one, but spline is different

Yeah I read it... I'm glad you got yours done. I'm hoping I can get this fixed under warranty when it occurs, but I'm not expecting to. It will probably happen out of warranty and then I'll be screwed.

Buy the ESP plan and add 4 years to your 3 yr. warranty. MM will give you an excellent price on this. I just bought the Premium plan from him at a better price than anywhere I could find. This way if your flywheel goes after your regular warranty expires, your covered. ESP does cover the flywheel.

Whaddayamean ironic? A total moran is a guy that is TOTALLY from Morania. Nothing really odd about that, you can't blame a guy for where he's from, right? heeheeheehee.......

It's ironic because he spelled "moron" incorrectly.

Buy the ESP plan and add 4 years to your 3 yr. warranty. MM will give you an excellent price on this. I just bought the Premium plan from him at a better price than anywhere I could find. This way if your flywheel goes after your regular warranty expires, your covered. ESP does cover the flywheel.

Actually I'm not sure if it will cover it. There was a guy either on this board or SVT who inquired about this very thing.

I think he said the ESP will not cover the TSB work according to the ESP rep that the guy spoke with.

So you might want to check it out before you purchase.

I have a thread on this. The ESP covers nothing in the TSB.

Thanks sandyman... I knew I read it somewhere :)

Hey you're in Sugarland... I'm over in League City, if you find a good dealer who will do the TSB let me know ;)

Ford's ESP's cover parts that fail, but it doesn't cover wear items (i.e. clutch lining). So, it should cover the flywheel, input shaft, synchro's, etc. Might not cover the clutch lining, itself, unless there is an overwhelming indication that the failure of other (covered) parts hurt the clutch.

On a somewhat related note, our shop recently repaired a 2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones Mustang for a customer who bought his PJ elsewhere. Clutch problem. The dealer he bought the PJ from wouldn't even touch the car and go to bat for him because it was a clutch and they didn't feel that warranty would apply (via Ford or Saleen). Ford wouldn't cover it as Saleen uses a modified transmission and/or clutch assembly, so it's not Ford parts. After fighting with Saleen for weeks about their unique transmission tearing up a low miles clutch, Saleen still refused to cover the clutch, but paid for the parts/labor to fix the other parts that caused the clutch failure. Customer ended up paying for the clutch. He was happy with our shop, but less than happy about Saleen's take on this, and he vowed not to take his PJ back to the selling dealer for any more attempts for service.

Ford's ESP's cover parts that fail, but it doesn't cover wear items (i.e. clutch lining). So, it should cover the flywheel, input shaft, synchro's, etc. Might not cover the clutch lining, itself, unless there is an overwhelming indication that the failure of other (covered) parts hurt the clutch.

On a somewhat related note, our shop recently repaired a 2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones Mustang for a customer who bought his PJ elsewhere. Clutch problem. The dealer he bought the PJ from wouldn't even touch the car and go to bat for him because it was a clutch and they didn't feel that warranty would apply (via Ford or Saleen). Ford wouldn't cover it as Saleen uses a modified transmission and/or clutch assembly, so it's not Ford parts. After fighting with Saleen for weeks about their unique transmission tearing up a low miles clutch, Saleen still refused to cover the clutch, but paid for the parts/labor to fix the other parts that caused the clutch failure. Customer ended up paying for the clutch. He was happy with our shop, but less than happy about Saleen's take on this, and he vowed not to take his PJ back to the selling dealer for any more attempts for service.

Five-Oh, you are correct. I have confirmation from a Ford regional rep that the flywheel and certain other parts of the TSB are covered under the ESP. If the flywheel causes damage to other parts not covered by the ESP, then they are also covered.

Five-Oh, you are correct. I have confirmation from a Ford regional rep that the flywheel and certain other parts of the TSB are covered under the ESP. If the flywheel causes damage to other parts not covered by the ESP, then they are also covered.

Judgement Warranty call on a warped flyweel caused by the (clutch) or (poor design)????

What would Ford and their Dealers say?????????

This morning reaffirmed my opinion on warranties, extended warranties, and Ford dealerships.

I first call the local dealership (I live in League City Texas) and talk to one of the service managers.

I tell him that I would like to have the clutch and flywheel TSB performed on my car since it's a known issue and a design flaw.

I explain that I have the TSB and that the flywheel has been re-designed as the one from the factory on my 2007 will warp over time.

He tells me to "bring it on in and we'll get it done."

I say, "Ok great, so you can do the TSB?"

"Sure, no problem, bring it on by first thing tomorrow morning and we'll get it done."

So... I wake up at 6 am get ready and drive over so that I'm there before they even open the doors. Myself and two other people were waiting.

They open the doors and I get to speak with the same guy I spoke to yesterday. I explain to him that I am the person who called about the GT500 and having the TSB done, tell him my name and everything.

He says, "Oh yeah, ok, well what issues are you having with the clutch?"

Now at this point I can feel my blood start to boil.

I say, "I'm not having any issues right now. When we spoke yesterday I told you that remember? I wanted to get the TSB done as a preventative measure. Remember?"

He says, "Oh well we can't work on the car unless you're having a problem."

I honestly could not believe what was coming out of his mouth... but at the same time I TOTALLY expected it.

I've owned a Mustang since 1991 and NOTHING has changed-- NOTHING. This is precisely why I NEVER worry about warranties, and I NEVER buy extended warranties.

For many years now I will ONLY take my Mustangs to a shop that specializes in Mustangs and I make sure I meet the person first and check out the shop before they even touch my car. I do this, and have done this, because dealership service departments either don't listen, don't care, or don't know what the hell they're doing... or they give you a hard enough time that it isn't worth the hassle to get them to perform warranty work.

This dealership is no different.

After he said those words, I thanked him and walked out, knowing that NOTHING has changed in the last seventeen years.

I then called Lone Star Ford because someone here suggested them. I spoke with a guy on the phone and it was more of the same... except this time he didn't even bother to listen at all.

He said the same thing, "Bring it on in."

Except, thankfully for me, he said, "We'll check it out and give you an estimate of the cost."

ESTIMATE OF THE COST!

I AGAIN repeated myself by explaining that it's a TSB and that it is a known issue covered under warranty.

I told him I wasn't having any issues and wanted to get it done to prevent any further damage.

He asked if the car was drivable...

(Yes he really asked this)

I AGAIN said, "Yes the car is fine, I just would like to get the TSB done as a preventative measure."

He said, "Bring it down and we'll check it out and if there's no signs of abuse then we can fix it under warranty."

Do you think I took it to them?

No... I'll keep driving my car and I'm sure at some point the issue will crop up after my warranty expires then I'll take it to Patrick at PSI who I actually trust and I'll have to pay for it out of my own pocket, which is exactly why the service departments do what they do... so that people will give up and go away.

Good job Ford... you've trained them well.

EDIT... If anyone DOES know of a dealership in Houston that will do the TSB as a preventative measure I would appreciate you letting me know... although I won't hold my breath or anything ;)

Interesting experience I just had with my Ford Dealership Folsom Lake Ford. I purchased a Shelby GT500 about a month ago, certified pre owned-- I noticed the brakes were starting to grind so I brought the car in. The service manager stated that the rear brakes were being abused under extreme driving; I knew that it was not from me so I demanded that they be fixed. At first the dealer informed us that they could do nothing about, but as soon as I pushed the issue they called back and said that they were going to replace the whole brake system for free. When I picked up my vehicle my service manager pulled me aside and said "you have a certified vehicle and regardless of what we say initially you should not have to pay for any repairs." He thanked me for my persistence and stated that he has to go thru hell to get these type of issues resolved. He also stated that no matter what he tells me in the future on issues; be persistent and he will take care of it. Basically, he was telling me that he has to attempt to deny the service, but as long as I dont budge he can get it approved. I am very lucky to have a service manager that has common sense and was willing to open up to me. It sounds like a lot of you on this post are not as lucky. My brand new brake system (both front and rear by the way) are working awesome.

All I can tell you is FORD WARRANTY told me nothing in the ESP would cover any part in the TSB. We had a discussion. I will be the first to buy coverage if Ford will cover the TSB.

Your ADM was not paid to Ford. If you paid an ADM, it went to the dealership you purchased the car from. And nobody forced you to pay an ADM - you willingly paid the ADM to get a GT500 earlier in the production run. If you did not want to pay an ADM, you could have 1) negotiated better, or 2) simply waited until supply caught up with demand to bring pricing down.

No one told him they were going to make an unlimited number of these cars. If I had known that I would have waited. They played hide the peanut...sleazebags!!!!!! You can only act on how the facts are presented to you and they (Ford) lied like hell. I am so tired of you people making excuses for criminals. I guess the pimps at AIG didn't have to take those million dollar bonuses either...but they did. Brother you'd better wake up to the criminal acts of big business, because you may be the next person living on the street.

Then tell us you had a choice to loose everything you had. People who talk like yu are the same ones who were eating"Bush" beans for the last eight years...one big FART!

All I can tell you is FORD WARRANTY told me nothing in the ESP would cover any part in the TSB. We had a discussion. I will be the first to buy coverage if Ford will cover the TSB.

Who is this "Ford Warranty" you keep referring to? Was this a sales rep at some toll-free number that sells ESP's with no working knowledge of claims procedures and payouts? You should contact Ford directly for specific questions. Their number (and other info) is here.

No one told him they were going to make an unlimited number of these cars. If I had known that I would have waited. They played hide the peanut...sleazebags!!!!!! You can only act on how the facts are presented to you and they (Ford) lied like hell. I am so tired of you people making excuses for criminals. I guess the pimps at AIG didn't have to take those million dollar bonuses either...but they did. Brother you'd better wake up to the criminal acts of big business, because you may be the next person living on the street.

Then tell us you had a choice to loose everything you had. People who talk like yu are the same ones who were eating"Bush" beans for the last eight years...one big FART!

So, tell me how you really feel about me. I believe I have a very good understanding of big business. I have a bachelor's degree in business (majored in corporate finance) from a very good university. Sure, I have a 401(k) plan, which has taken a hit because of the crud that Wall Street has done, but I'm smart enough to have diversified my investments in other areas (my own stock picks, commodities, precious metals, etc.).

But, as for paying an ADM on a car? Get real, OneKR, cars are not investments (or limited production). They are depreciating assets that will be built in sufficient numbers to satisfy demand and return a profit to their manufacturer. So, paying an ADM only benefitted your buddy by getting him an early car before supply caught up with demand. Being the first on your block with the newest toy always costs more (regardless of whether we're talking GT500's, iPhones, plasma TV's, etc.). This is all just basic economics. Maybe you could take an econ class at your local junior college to help you start to understand the concept. And if you really want to understand the topic, finish a degree in the topic (and work in the field) like some of us have. Then you'll be in a position to speak educatedly (and not just emotionally) on the subject.

Who is this "Ford Warranty" you keep referring to? Was this a sales rep at some toll-free number that sells ESP's with no working knowledge of claims procedures and payouts? You should contact Ford directly for specific questions. Their number (and other info) is here.

The "Ford Warranty" phone number was given to me by the gentleman selling the ESP Plan. They told me they were Ford Warranty when I called. After our conversation, I threw the number away. After being on hold for over ten minutes, the lady told me that NO part in the TSB is covered by the ESP. If you can tell me who to talk to at Ford, I will buy the ESP or any other plan that would cover the TSB. They will need to put it in writing for me to buy the plan. I am not arguing, just telling you what I was told. I don't mind paying for extended coverage at all.

On another note, I feel the TSB could diminished the price of my car. If I can't get coverage and decide to sell my car, I would not do so without disclosing the TSB. I don't think anyone would buy the car at a favorable price without including a discout for the possible cost of the TSB. And who could blame them? So, it appears that unless I get coverage before August, I will have to pay for the TSB either with my cash or an additional discount off of my fair selling price. Just food for thought.

On another note, I feel the TSB could diminished the price of my car. If I can't get coverage and decide to sell my car, I would not do so without disclosing the TSB. I don't think anyone would buy the car at a favorable price without including a discout for the possible cost of the TSB. And who could blame them? So, it appears that unless I get coverage before August, I will have to pay for the TSB either with my cash or an additional discount off of my fair selling price. Just food for thought.

The TSB has not diminished the value of your car. The remote possibility of a problem popping up later has no impact on your car's current value. That's like selling your house for less money today because the stove might stop working in 10 years. Or, selling stocks for a lower price today because you think the stock might go down in value next year. Or, passing on dating that beautiful young woman tonight because she might get old & wrinkly some day.

The "Ford Warranty" phone number was given to me by the gentleman selling the ESP Plan. They told me they were Ford Warranty when I called. After our conversation, I threw the number away. After being on hold for over ten minutes, the lady told me that NO part in the TSB is covered by the ESP. If you can tell me who to talk to at Ford, I will buy the ESP or any other plan that would cover the TSB. They will need to put it in writing for me to buy the plan. I am not arguing, just telling you what I was told. I don't mind paying for extended coverage at all.

Please take the time to call Ford's genuine service ESP hotline at 1-800-FORD-ESP (1-800-367-3377).

So, tell me how you really feel about me. I believe I have a very good understanding of big business. I have a bachelor's degree in business (majored in corporate finance) from a very good university. Sure, I have a 401(k) plan, which has taken a hit because of the crud that Wall Street has done, but I'm smart enough to have diversified my investments in other areas (my own stock picks, commodities, precious metals, etc.).

But, as for paying an ADM on a car? Get real, OneKR, cars are not investments (or limited production). They are depreciating assets that will be built in sufficient numbers to satisfy demand and return a profit to their manufacturer. So, paying an ADM only benefitted your buddy by getting him an early car before supply caught up with demand. Being the first on your block with the newest toy always costs more (regardless of whether we're talking GT500's, iPhones, plasma TV's, etc.). This is all just basic economics. Maybe you could take an econ class at your local junior college to help you start to understand the concept. And if you really want to understand the topic, finish a degree in the topic (and work in the field) like some of us have. Then you'll be in a position to speak educatedly (and not just emotionally) on the subject.

My friend I hate to ruin your image of me but I hold both an MBA and a JD and am a Litigator at a large law firm. You're still not hearing me. I paid the ADM because I was under the impression that I would have something unique with very few cars being manufactured like the Ferrari I own...how do you turn that into investing...it is a mindset. I'd be happy to depose you on this site and we could really have some fun...keeping you in line and not distorting what IS BEING EXPRESSED HERE. Now go hide under a rock or a Chevy! BTW I'll bet you are a freakin car salesperson.....................

Please take the time to call Ford's genuine service ESP hotline at 1-800-FORD-ESP (1-800-367-3377).

I called the number you gave me. I told the ESP person that I wanted to buy the plan but I wanted to make sure the plan would cover the parts in the TSB. This person was clueless, so I talked to another person and they didn't have a clue as to what a TSB even is. I was told to go online to see if the parts were covered. They just want to sell you the plan, period. Please try yourself and see what I am talking about. If you get satisfactory results, please give me the name and number and I will call them. I do want it in writing that the parts in our TSB will be covered. Thanks for your help.

My friend I hate to ruin your image of me but I hold both an MBA and a JD and am a Litigator at a large law firm. You're still not hearing me. I paid the ADM because I was under the impression that I would have something unique with very few cars being manufactured like the Ferrari I own...how do you turn that into investing...it is a mindset. I'd be happy to depose you on this site and we could really have some fun...keeping you in line and not distorting what IS BEING EXPRESSED HERE. Now go hide under a rock or a Chevy! BTW I'll bet you are a freakin car salesperson.....................

Oh, you're an attorney. That explains it! :poke: There's no less than 2 different subjects going on in this thread; but sticking with this one, many paid ADM's and many waited for supply to catch up to the demand. I don't know why you didn't expect Ford to produce as many as they could sell. Why stop making something that's profitable. You say you have an MBA. I would of thought you learned that with just a Bachelor's degree. I don't remember the exact statement; but, it I believe it was something close to "We will make them until everybody that want's one, has one." The ADM bought you the car at a least a year before I had the chance to enjoy one. That may or may not be worth it you (and others) in hind sight. I paid MSRP. I have no regrets that I paid more than the guys/gals that bought one recently at 3K to 4K under MSRP. I've had the top down on my 'vert an extra summer than them. Bottom line, get out of your office/court room and go drive and enjoy it!

P.S., please don't depose me, there was no disrespect meant here. Just having some fun.

Archived