TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I Really Love Dealerships

Imatk

I am a tech at ford, so you got to see it from the other side. TSB's do not mean every car is going to present the problem. We see this all the time, one guy will come in with a fistful of papers saying he wants all these tsb's done. Well sir, are the concerns present, cust "no", well we can't fix it unless concern is present. The first thing ford trains us to do is "verify the concern", if there is no concern present at that time we can't just do a tsb cause the customer wants it done. Warranty fraud will get dealerships in a big heap of kaka especially the way ford is trying to pench pennies on everything trying to avoid going bankrupt.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As many others have already said, the existence of a TSB does not mean that all cars will have the problem ever surface. Maybe a few percent will, while 90% or more (probably 95% or more) will never have the issue stated in any given TSB. To demand that a dealer (Ford, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai - doesn't matter) fix something that is not broken or that probably never will break, is unrealistic.

When I had my '03 Mach 1, I had two TSB's addressed. But, only after they were a problem. One was a passenger seat rubbing on the door (easy shim to fix), while the other was hard shifting from 1st to 2nd (tremec 3650). The dealership verified the problem as actually occuring and fixed them both with no questions asked. They even rebuilt the transmission knowing that I had been regularly drag racing the Mach 1 at our local dragstrip. The tech even commented on his surprise at how nice the original clutch looked (no heat spots or abnormal wear) even though they knew I had been racing the car. It's all in the relationship you build over time with your local dealer.

So far, my '07 GT has only had one TSB crop up. Exterior door handles that wouldn't rest flush. I didn't even ask them to fix it - I just came in for the 15K service and the service advisor approached me and says "there's a TSB on those door handles so I ordered new ones for you already." I thanked him for being so aware and brought the car back in the following week when the parts had arrived from Ford.

Again, having a good relationship with a dealership can go a long way toward enjoying your car. So, get out there and find a dealership you like. They are out there. Some are horrible, many are average, some are awesome!

Is the TSB covered by the 3-36 or 5-60 warranty?

Yes, the TSB is covered under the applicable warranty (3/36, 5/60, or ESP), but only if the symptoms are present. TSB's will not be done "just because" or to prevent the future likelihood of them popping up.

Yes, the TSB is covered under the applicable warranty (3/36, 5/60, or ESP), but only if the symptoms are present. TSB's will not be done "just because" or to prevent the future likelihood of them popping up.

I hate to bring you back to reality, but it has been published and proven that this Tremec Trasmission and clutch combination are a major problem. In any other economy this would have been a recall. I think you have your numbers turned around as well. It's more like 90% of the earlier model Shelbys have this problem. Do you work for Ford? Toyota would have recalled something like this by now. Why are American carmakers in trouble?...I just answered that question...poor customer service, anything for a buck, lie cheat and steal. Oh and let's fly into our Congressional hearings on private Lear Jets. They could have at least carpooled. :doh:

I am a tech at ford, so you got to see it from the other side. TSB's do not mean every car is going to present the problem. We see this all the time, one guy will come in with a fistful of papers saying he wants all these tsb's done. Well sir, are the concerns present, cust "no", well we can't fix it unless concern is present. The first thing ford trains us to do is "verify the concern", if there is no concern present at that time we can't just do a tsb cause the customer wants it done. Warranty fraud will get dealerships in a big heap of kaka especially the way ford is trying to pench pennies on everything trying to avoid going bankrupt.

They should have thought of that when they were building sh*ty cars with high ADM's. They didn't care about the consumer then. I say let them dig themselves out of their own mess. The only sad part are the job losses they will create. Notice how I say THEY!!!!!! And what you're saying is what we all know FORD CARES ABOUT FORD...PERIOD!

They should have thought of that when they were building sh*ty cars with high ADM's. They didn't care about the consumer then. I say let them dig themselves out of their own mess. The only sad part are the job losses they will create. Notice how I say THEY!!!!!! And what you're saying is what we all know FORD CARES ABOUT FORD...PERIOD!

Ford should send out rebate checks to all of us who had to pay the ADM for the 2 year limited production piece of KAKA...now that's a stimulus package. :doh:

I told my dealership about a couple symptoms I was having with the clutch TSB. When I spoke to the service manager he immediately went to the floor and instructed them to work on the car asap. He also emergency ordered all the TSB parts. The parts arrived 4 days later, I brought the car in and 2 days later they had it fixed. Still some very slight chatter if i'm too light on the gas taking off but silky smooth shifts otherwise. Thank you Ford for your excellent service. I will surely buy another.

Have you been living under a rock? Ford isn't going bankrupt. Notice how they didn't recieve a bailout like GM and Chrysler?

Toyota would have recalled something like this by now.

You mean the same Toyota that released their latest Tundra that was breaking camshafts and tailgates busting apart with light use? Yeah, Toyota is so perfect.

Yes, some early GT500's have had clutch issues, but it's not the majority of them as you'd like to think. I do work at a Ford dealership. Of the six 2007 GT500's we sold, absolutey zero of them have had this clutch issue, and we sold our GT500's to enthusiasts who drive them regularly. You are more likely to hear from all the disgruntled people who had a clutch problem than the vast majority who haven't had a problem, so it just seems like this clutch problem is widespread, when it is not. It sucks that any of them had problems, but to insist that most of them have the problem just isn't accurate.

They should have thought of that when they were building sh*ty cars with high ADM's. They didn't care about the consumer then. I say let them dig themselves out of their own mess.

JD Powers and Associates recently named the GT500 one of the most reliable new cars on the market, and best in its class, based on "things gone wrong." If you think the GT500 is such a crappy car, I feel really bad for every other single car in its class that did worse in JD Power's reliability ratings.

Ford should send out rebate checks to all of us who had to pay the ADM for the 2 year limited production piece of KAKA...now that's a stimulus package. :doh:

Your ADM was not paid to Ford. If you paid an ADM, it went to the dealership you purchased the car from. And nobody forced you to pay an ADM - you willingly paid the ADM to get a GT500 earlier in the production run. If you did not want to pay an ADM, you could have 1) negotiated better, or 2) simply waited until supply caught up with demand to bring pricing down.

I honestly would never have thought to quote and reply to my own reply like you just did. Can't that cause a rift in the space/time continuum?

AGREED!!! Ford dealerships are terriable!! IF I diden't love mustang so much I would never set foor in one. My wife has an Acura MDX and that buying process was night and day compared to a Ford dealership. For instance the Ford dealership would not tell me what the intrest rate would be on my car, just the monthly payment, then they diden't pay off my trade in for 2 months, finally they gave me the wrong VIN number for my car the first time so i had to come back in a fill out the paperwork again... AFTER I ORDERED MY SHELBY SIGNED PLAQUE!!!! which I had to cancel and reorder at a $40 coast to myself. I went to Medved Ford in Castle Rock Co NEVER GO THERE. I got a great deal on my car but these guy are clowns.

You really shouldn't generalize like this. It's no better than me saying all Polish people are stupid or all Irish are drunks. I've been in and out of hundreds of dealerships throughout my years of working with dealers and I can honestly tell you I have seen well ran and poorly ran dealerships on both sides domestic and imports.

Hate to say it but OneKR is a total moran. If you don't like ford products then get rid of them and buy jap cars you tool.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's tired of all the Ford & Ford dealership bashing on this site!

It would be simple for Ford to just say everyone gets one replacement of the included items of the TSB if and when its either necessary or either the customer requests it. After that it would be either because of a installation issue or a bad part. They record your vin at the dealer when doing work it gets logged so their is a record of it bam easy. I bought a brand new car I'd like to get a chance to break it myself and not worry that if I do something like swap to a JLT setup with a smaller pulley that Oh thats what did it that caused your problem not the known issue that Ford felt was important enough to put a TSB on. If I throw nitrous and slicks on it thats one thing but to be slightly modified I don't want to be questioned like what I did killed the car. Some dealers would probably be straight up and do the work some wouldn't thats the problem in my view many don't either know what the heck you're talking about or don't want to mess with it because if something goes wrong they will have a problem on their hands. They had no problem with selling them but now that its the other end of the deal it might change how they look at things.

Their are good dealers and honest folks out there but you can't hope things are straight up and you get a fair shake you have to be aware of everything and be informed.

I have a good one. I took my 07 GT500 in 3 weeks ago tomorrow.

Explained that I am experiencing a hard shift or "crunch" from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.

Also explained to the service writer my knowledge of the TSB ( thanks Grabbr ).

He takes me into the shop to meet his best line tech. Very nice guy, and extremely clean ( himself and his work station ). We go out for a test drive in my car, the tech drives, says he feels the crunch into 2nd and 3rd.

We get back to the dealership and he asks the service writer what the TSB says and supposedly gets a copy of it.

Tells me he has to go through Ford for approval on this first and reccomends a new tranny as opposed to opening and rebuilding the existing one.

I told him I was concerned about having matching #s and would want to keep the old tranny. Again, need Fords approval. OK, I'll wait.

I actually had to call the dealer today to find out what was going on. Ford's response was to re-build the tranny.

No mention of doing the TSB. Supposedly this went through some "hot line", and I can't put in another request for a couple of months as the vehicle is flagged and they will only re-build the tranny.

Going to call the other Ford dealer tommorrow. A friend of mine introduced me to one of the service writers there and he seems to be somewhat knowledgeable.

Is the crunch into 2nd and 3rd part of the TSB??

From what I have read, it seems to be.

why didn't you just go with the new tranny, it would of been a better way to go. at least i think

Their are good dealers and honest folks out there but you can't hope things are straight up and you get a fair shake you have to be aware of everything and be informed.

I agree completely. Last year when I was looking for my 2009 GT 500, I searched for hours on the web looking at numerous dealerships in several states. I did get frustrated when the markups ranged from 5 to 15 K but it was patience and homework that paid off. As it turned out I found a dealership right in my back yard that I overlooked and I trust them. With that said, you can't bash all dealerships or the Ford name. It's up to the buyer to steer clear of these shady dealerships. I know that 90% of the dealerships I had contact with will never get my business!

Getting back to the gist of the topic, if the clutch starts showing the slightest hint of the symptoms described in the previous posts then take it in. I'm willing to bet that this was an issue on a small amount of the vehicles produced. Anybody that has a 97 F150 that was called in to see if the steering shaft was seated properly will know what I mean. At least Ford was being honest when they informed everyone about a possble issue with the clutch. Or am I wrong? Comments anyone??

Ford was being honest when they informed everyone about a possble issue with the clutch. Or am I wrong? Comments anyone??

wHO is everyone--I didn't know that Grabber was Ford -- I thought ford put a piece of junk tranny

in my gt500 and they didn't even know I owned a gt500.(dealer error??ha-ha- sure) Rob filled me in on the problems FMC was having. The only thing I heard from FMC was nothing.

why didn't you just go with the new tranny, it would of been a better way to go. at least i think

I requested a new tranny --the dealer who did the tsb requested a new tranny after the 3rd time

he had the the tranny in & out due to the sub standard parts FMC sent. They only would talk to me

one time and ignored and would not answer my 15 to 20 calls trying to get a new trann. My tranny

was in and out a total of 4 times. I feel the tech knew what he was doing but with $hit for replacement

parts you can only do what you can with what you got.

the car was in the shop for 71 consecutive days.

If they would have given a new tranny and would have been no problem

Now I going for a repurchase under the lemon law. The trouble is I did really like the car

Hate to say it, but the dealer is correct. TSBs are not recalls. You have to be experiencing the documented issue before a repair will be authorized by Ford.

+1

This isn't the dealer it's Ford! In today's economy with people putting off work any dealer would LOVE to get the $$$$ from Ford to do this. The fact is Ford will not authorize it and send the parts unless there is a problem. The dealer can also get into hot water if the return parts are inspected and found to be trouble free. Dealers make money on Service don't ever think a dealer is not doing warranty work because they are trying to get around something, warranty work keeps the lights on...unless you're talking about SGT hood scoops! :hysterical:

2 Stories: When I purchased my Shelby GT500 new at a local dealership, I waited while they were going to fill the tank and put the temp tag on it. After telling them NOT

to install the front plate bracket, of course they did! Drilled 2 big screw holes in the front bumper. I almost backed out of the deal. On the second trip to the dealership,

I left it for an oil change and asked them to park it away from other vehicles until I picked it up. When I came to pick up the car it was parked in between two other big trucks.

When I got the car back, it had a nice door ding! Of course they denied it happened at the dealership! I was so pissed I decided to take the car and leave. I had the ding

removed that afternoon at my expense. IT is a completely different experience when you take a BMW, Mercedes, Lexus etc. in for service. I don't think the big 3 will ever get it!

I hate to say it, but you just got to lie and say it is hard to shift, bumps or grinds going into gear.

You just got to pester them more and they will do it.

Tried that. Had to take the service manager on a road test. When he couldn't hear any grinding, that was the end of that. With the exception of the service manager wanting to rotate the tires on my GT500.

What I'd like to know is why don't they replace the clutch and flywheel on the cars that aren't grinding? Why wait until it destroys the sychro's?

What I'd like to know is why don't they replace the clutch and flywheel on the cars that aren't grinding? Why wait until it destroys the sychro's?

Because the synchro's aren't being hurt if the clutch & flywheel are fine. Why fix something that doesn't need fixing? And when the clutch does start having problems, take the car in then before the syncro's are affected.

Archived