TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby center gauge cluster

Any one do the install themself, what problems if any? Pictures would also be nice.

Thanks.

The instructions are very good IMHO! The only deviation that should be made is to use a small amount of thread seal "paste" on the sensor and plugs that go into the fuel block. The reason is the block used in the pictures looked like it was alodined aluminum and the one sent in the kit is anodized. If you try to tighten the fittings enough to get a seal, the anodize "flakes" off inside the threads, prevents a seal and "leaks". I used a small amount of telflon pipe seal paste and I've had no problems for over a year. I called SAI about this and they concurred with my assessment.

This is my favorite mod!

Gauge_Pod_Install.pdf

Gauge_Pod_Install.pdf

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To each his/her own, but I thought the Shelby gage center piece was too bulky and big and did not lay flat. I used the speed of sound triple gage pods that angle toward you and are a great fit and match for the car. Looks like it came that way from the factory. I went with Cobalt gages and they match up with the dash colors as well. Never had anyone that saw mine in person say anything but positive remarks. May not be Shelby but it's better in my opinion.

:shift:

To each his/her own, but I thought the Shelby gage center piece was too bulky and big and did not lay flat. I used the speed of sound triple gage pods that angle toward you and are a great fit and match for the car. Looks like it came that way from the factory. I went with Cobalt gages and they match up with the dash colors as well. Never had anyone that saw mine in person say anything but positive remarks. May not be Shelby but it's better in my opinion.

:shift:

I've been wanting to like the SOS stuff because I wanted to add a couple more gauges on the pillar. But I just can't warm up to the "egg shape" looks. I just can't do it! :cry:

That's what the older 60-70 cars used but may not be for everyone. I don't like a box on my dash. :doh:

I've been wanting to like the SOS stuff because I wanted to add a couple more gauges on the pillar. But I just can't warm up to the "egg shape" looks. I just can't do it! :cry:

I personally like the look of the SPP setup and the SOS setup. I went with the Shelby stuff, because I've seen them in person and I didn't notice any fitment issues at all.

Maybe I wasn't looking in the right places? Anyway, the Shelby signatures are cool too, IMO, and I secretly wish my car was a Nor*Cal edition. ;)

Ken

• 1 month later...

I finally decided to start tackling the gauge cluster install, after the kit has been sitting in my garage collecting dust for over a month.

I wasn't looking forward to the job, but so far it hasn't been that bad. I'm on page 5 of the 10 page install guide. All of the wiring at the gauges is done, the cluster is resting on my dash (but not tacked down just yet), and the wiring is pulled through the hole in the dash.

You guys were definitely right on about the exposed wiring at the end of the cluster, however. You'll notice in the pics below that the wiring looks pretty nasty up against the glass. I pulled the wiring back up just to wrap another 10"-12" of it up with electrical tape. It still doesn't look perfect by any means, but it's an improvement until I can figure something else out.

I'm off to bed now, but I'll post pics of the rest of the job once I'm done. All in all, the first half of the job took me about an hour and a half and I'm very pleased with the look of the gauges on top of my dash.

Ken

DSC05426.jpg

DSC05428.jpg

DSC05429.jpg

DSC05431.jpg

DSC05433.jpg

DSC05439.jpg

DSC05442.jpg

DSC05449.jpg

DSC05450.jpg

I got all of the cabin wiring done and routed the wiring through the firewall into the engine bay. The fuel pressure sender is installed and working. The illumination circuit works and my gauges light up red now. I would have had the oil manifold installed and the oil gauges working by now, but SPP didn't include the 17mm bolts needed to mount the manifold to the side of the block. I'll try to find some that fit today.

Also, an FYI for anyone else, in the instructions it says to route the blue and brown wires over the passenger valve cover to reach the manifold. This is wrong. You need to route them over the driver's side. Anyway, here are some pics I snagged before I called it a night.

Ken

DSC05460.jpg

DSC05451.jpg

DSC05454.jpg

DSC05456.jpg

DSC05458.jpg

Great job Ken, as always. BTW, dig the Ahmann Racing.

Thanks a lot man. I just moved the Ahmann Racing pic to my profile though, in lieu of my updated sig. ;)

I got a hold of Enrique at SPP and he told me that I needed 2 10MM bolts (1.5x20) and that they're not included in the kit.

The instructions say to use the 2 included 17mm bolts, so I'm a bit confused. Regardless, I'll pick some up today and try to get this thing done tonight.

On a side note, does anyone have any recommendation on how better to attach the pod to my dash? The 4 velcro patches are not doing the trick at all.

Ken

looking great Ken (if its cool i call you that its quicker than kahmann lol) if you dont mind it being semi permanent try the red 3m tape it might be better and lead to a tighter fit.

Thanks a lot greaser, and ya man call me Ken. ;)

Good call on the 3M tape. I'll definitely give that a shot, once I get these oil gauges working. I installed the manifold last night and completed the last bit of wiring. However, neither oil gauge works.

I have 12V of power, the leads are on the right terminals, the oil sender harness itself ohms out, the factory oil pressure sender is working fine (which is now installed in the SPP oil manifold), and the ground is very solid. I'll post pics up tonight when I get home.

I've emailed SPP about a possible gauge issue, but that seems unlikely since it's common to both gauges. Any ideas out there??

Ken

I've tried everything and spoken to Keith at SPP a few times (the guy that wrote the install guide for this kit). Nothing is working.

I'm sending these gauges back to SPP today and once they receive them, they're sending out a couple of new ones to try.

Ken

I've tried everything and spoken to Keith at SPP a few times (the guy that wrote the install guide for this kit). Nothing is working.

I'm sending these gauges back to SPP today and once they receive them, they're sending out a couple of new ones to try.

Ken

I had a similar issue with some gauges I installed in a 98 GT (Oil Pressure, Temp, and Water Temp). It turned out that my ground was not located close enough to the sender. I don't understand the physics behind it but I originally grounded in the inside near the gauges and even though it was a solid ground the gauges would not work. Once I moved the ground thru the firewall to a location in the engine bay everything worked. I read thru Autometer’s instructions again I saw a statement regarding the proximity of the ground to the sender was critical to the gauges working.

I had a similar issue with some gauges I installed in a 98 GT (Oil Pressure, Temp, and Water Temp). It turned out that my ground was not located close enough to the sender. I don't understand the physics behind it but I originally grounded in the inside near the gauges and even though it was a solid ground the gauges would not work. Once I moved the ground thru the firewall to a location in the engine bay everything worked. I read thru Autometer’s instructions again I saw a statement regarding the proximity of the ground to the sender was critical to the gauges working.

Weird, I've never heard of that, but I'm willing to try nearly anything at this point. I installed the ground per SPP's instructions, on the bolt behind the center console on the driver's side, nearest the gas pedal.

Keith mentioned that I was the only guy to ever report having this issue, so I'm really hoping it's just the gauges or senders. It's just really odd that both oil gauges don't work. Your point is interesting though, since the ground is the only thing common to both gauges (other than the oil manifold itself obviously).

I asked him if it could be the manifold somehow, but he said he couldn't imagine how that would be the case. I'll keep you posted.

Ken

I forgot to post the last set of pics I took after I finished installing the oil manifold and senders on the side of the block, so here they are.

You'll notice the new braided stainless hose above the oil filter. That replaced the factory oil pressure sender (which is now in the side of the manifold). The oil flows through this braided line into the manifold and feeds all 3 senders (factory psi, SPP psi, and SPP temp).

Ken

DSC05464.jpg

DSC05467.jpg

DSC05468.jpg

DSC05469.jpg

DSC05470.jpg

DSC05474.jpg

which ones are the ones you dont have to drill holes on the dashboard? i wanna get some but dont wanna drill holes on the dash board..

There is no drilling required with this kit. The only modification necessary is cutting a tiny hole in the large rubber boot in the firewall so that the new wires can pass through.

Ken

looking good ken i hope you can get the guages issue worked out.

The new oil gauges showed up in the mail yesterday and I swapped the old ones out last night.

These gauges work perfectly! What are the odds that BOTH oil gauges would be bad from Auto Meter?!

Anyway, Enrique and Keith at SPP were a ton of help and I'm very happy with the setup, now that everything is working.

Ken

+1

And, how about some more pictures!

The pod itself doesn't conform as nicely as I think it should, but that's a design problem that I can't really adjust. I took greaser's advice and slapped some 3M tape on the underside and it's sticking to the dash with no problem now.

The velcro wasn't keeping it nearly as solid as it needed to be. I'll get some day time pics today and post them up!

Ken

The pod itself doesn't conform as nicely as I think it should, but that's a design problem that I can't really adjust. I took greaser's advice and slapped some 3M tape on the underside and it's sticking to the dash with no problem now.

The velcro wasn't keeping it nearly as solid as it needed to be. I'll get some day time pics today and post them up!

Ken

I left the velcro on. It is holding fine and it will be easy to take up if I have to fix a gauge, etc. But I believe the 3M tape would give it a better fit and hold better too. But you don't want to use the really high strength stuff or you'll have a time getting it off.

But bottom line, I really love this mod and it is the best looking interior mod next to the CS sig on the airbag.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got word from Enrique at SPP that they'll sell the Shelby signature boost gauge to me separately.

"We don’t usually do them separately, but I got the okay to do it for you. The price on the gauge would be $68.80 plus whatever it costs to ship."

Anyway, I'm planning on adding an A-pillar gauge pod for 2 gauges. The problem is that AutoMeter doesn't have many other useful gauges in the same size as the Shelby gauges (2 5/8").

Does anyone have the SPP cluster along with an A-pillar pod that I could see photos of installed? I'd especially like to see how these bigger gauges look on the A-pillar. Thanks for any help.

Ken

p.s. I totally forgot to add a few more final pics of my gauge cluster, like I promised! I'll take a few asap, just in case anyone still wanted to see them. :)

:waiting: on the pics ken and get an air fuel gauge.

LOL man I don't know what my deal is with this! Sorry for the delay..again. I keep forgetting. I'll grab some asap, I promise. :)

Good call on the AFR gauge. I like the looks of those a lot and the function seems awfully useful too. Thanks for the good idea greaser.

Ken

Archived