TEAM SHELBY FORUM

so i have been thinking about getting new wheels for racing season, i was thinking about doing some 18 x 10's on the rear and 18 x 9.5 on the front, i have some ppl telling me they will fit with no problems and some telling me they wont. so what is it? will they fit? or will i have rubbing issues? :headscratch:

whats the biggest i can get? i was wanting to put nitto nto1's 315/30/18s on the back and 275/35/18 on the front. this would be for hallet and generaly carving corners then powering out. im not a tire guy im a powerplant mechanic so when it comes to tires im generally lost. would 315's even fit on a 18 x 10? or would a 10.5 be required?

would it be wise to go with instead? 275's all round and 9.5 front and back? :sos::headscratch:

I'll take a stab at it. . . . . on a 18" wheel and a width of 8.5" or 9" - you'll probably want to run with the 275s . . . . . 315s are going to have quite a bit of roll on the sidewall.

Many have gone with the 20" wheels on their cars. The American Racing Shelby Razors are 20x9" - and SAI has been using/suggesting P255/35R20 for the front and P275/35R20 for the rear. Discount Tire suggested that I could run P295 . . . . . But going beyond that in the rear you do run the risk of the tire hitting the wheel well of the quarter panel.

I'm planning to run 20x9 up front and 20x10 in the rear. 255s up front and 275s in the back. I'm sorta thinking that if you run 275s up front on 9" rims. . . you're going to notice some push or maybe even some sidewall roll which will translate into worse handling characteristics.

I'm just thinking out loud - and thought that I'd put out my $0.02

Trevor

Ok, here's my .02 worth.........

Buy 18x9.5 wheels, Buy the recommended tire size for our cars with staggered tires and the 9.5 wheel. The sizes are 255/45-18 front, and 285/40-18 rear. Buy a good sticky tire made for the twisties. I am running the BFG KDWS-2 and they are great on the track, Vince beat the hell out of my car on the track at the 09 Shelby Bash ( I told him to show me what the car would do and show me the weaknesses. He did.) I know my set up is what I wanted, and he liked it also.

EDIT: I also know I will never, ever feel comfortable driving my car at a track like he was driving. I figure if it stood up to the beating he gave it, it really was meant to be. Remember, our cars were built specifically to run the track twisties, even with out the blower.

Chris

I haven't used them and I am not a wheel and tire expert. So take with a grain of salt. Roush puts 18" X 10" on all four corners of the Roush 427R Track Pak. I believe they use 275/40 but I am not sure. You might be able to stagger the rear but I don't know. What I do know is that wheel width is not the only consideration. The offset/backspace is also critical to how the tires will fit under your car.

PS.

For my open track adventures, I bought a set of GT500 18X9.5" wheels and put the GT500 tire sizes on them. They worked much better than the 20" tires and wheels that the car normally roles on.

Archived