TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Behind the scenes pictures from LVMS

MMcGuirk

Hi,

I had the pleasure this past weekend of being John Keller's guest at the Shelby 427.

John's KR was selected as one of the pace cars for the Nationwide Sam' Town 300 race on Saturday.

We arrived Thursday afternoon at SAI. The first task was to install the Whalen low profile highway patrol light-bar (programmed to NASCAR specs). With help from a LVMS employee, the install went off with out a hitch, The KR looked like it was ready to be put in service as a Colorado State Patrol pursuit vehicle!

Friday was decal install day. The SAI crew worked tirelessly for 8.5 hrs to get the four actual pace cars for NASCAR and the one display vehicle done. At dusk we headed over to the track for a photo session. As you can see, this was really cool. The

At the end of the photo session, we were given the green light to do a couple of laps! That banking doesn't look like much on TV, but believe me, it adds whole new dimension to drive a Shelby fast. The cars were then turned over to Buster Auston of NASCAR for their duties in both races. Buster is absolutely one of the nicest people on earth.

Saturday we headed out to the track. John was able to get in the car for the Nationwide pace laps. The NASCAR drivers had to be warned sternly not to do their usual practice of bumping the pace cars. These were privately owned. The first time NASCAR has ever allowed privately owned cars to pace a race!

One of the other benefits of this involvement was that we had Hot passes for the entire weekend. We were allowed pretty much everywhere in the pits and got to meet a lot of really cool people.

Brett Bodine, former driver and current NASCAR VP of R+D, took John, myself, Stuart Nichols and Bob Horne for some fairly hot laps early Sunday morning. I was most impressed with the KR on the flats at 100MPH+ between turns 1 and 2 prior to getting on the banking. This pretty much a constant radius turn, Brett got on the pipe, got the KR to edge of adhesion and hit the back stretch at about 120MPH. Exhilarating!

What a great experience!

four_pace_cars.jpg

KR_LVMS_Fri_night.jpg

Zaxby__s_pit_and_KR.jpg

KR_1.jpg

LVMS_2_27.jpg

four_pace_cars.jpg

KR_LVMS_Fri_night.jpg

Zaxby__s_pit_and_KR.jpg

KR_1.jpg

LVMS_2_27.jpg

Hi,

I had the pleasure this past weekend of being John Keller's guest at the Shelby 427.

John's KR was selected as one of the pace cars for the Nationwide Sam' Town 300 race on Saturday.

We arrived Thursday afternoon at SAI. The first task was to install the Whalen low profile highway patrol light-bar (programmed to NASCAR specs). With help from a LVMS employee, the install went off with out a hitch, The KR looked like it was ready to be put in service as a Colorado State Patrol pursuit vehicle!

Friday was decal install day. The SAI crew worked tirelessly for 8.5 hrs to get the four actual pace cars for NASCAR and the one display vehicle done. At dusk we headed over to the track for a photo session. As you can see, this was really cool. The

At the end of the photo session, we were given the green light to do a couple of laps! That banking doesn't look like much on TV, but believe me, it adds whole new dimension to drive a Shelby fast. The cars were then turned over to Buster Auston of NASCAR for their duties in both races. Buster is absolutely one of the nicest people on earth.

Saturday we headed out to the track. John was able to get in the car for the Nationwide pace laps. The NASCAR drivers had to be warned sternly not to do their usual practice of bumping the pace cars. These were privately owned. The first time NASCAR has ever allowed privately owned cars to pace a race!

One of the other benefits of this involvement was that we had Hot passes for the entire weekend. We were allowed pretty much everywhere in the pits and got to meet a lot of really cool people.

Brett Bodine, former driver and current NASCAR VP of R+D, took John, myself, Stuart Nichols and Bob Horne for some fairly hot laps early Sunday morning. I was most impressed with the KR on the flats at 100MPH+ between turns 1 and 2 prior to getting on the banking. This pretty much a constant radius turn, Brett got on the pipe, got the KR to edge of adhesion and hit the back stretch at about 120MPH. Exhilarating!

What a great experience!

Michael,

Great shots, I had a blast hanging out with you guys... I was happy that I could get Bret Bodine to agree to take us around the track in John's car, that was a blast! Having connections does pay off. :peelout: Best of regards and I can't wait for the next event!

Stuart

nice! btw did they let u keep the lights? and do u have to take off the graphics or they let u keep it like that going home?

be nice to have the pace car graphics forever. for sure to stand out.

thanks for sharing.

John bought the light bar and the graphics stay on. Talk about a one off car!

There are numerous offers to buy this car already. It's not going anywhere!!

That sounds amazing.

Johns car looks AWSOME.

By the way we noticed that you were in the winners circle on Sunday.

Must have been a great time.

I hope i wasn't picking my nose or something.... :hysterical:

Archived