TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How many of you...

rnoggle

...bought your Shelby GT because of a previous experience?

While outside washing the SGT today, i was pondering the following questions.

How many bought the SGT, after renting a GT-H?

How many bought it because of the Shelby Heritage?

Or, how many, like myself, bought it simply because you

saw it and decided you just had to have it?

Almost every article I have read about the SGT states that it was conceived due to public demand, based on the customer experience with the GT-H rental car.

I personally had never rented, or even seen a GT-H prior to buying my SGT.

None of my friends or family had ever seen one either.

I didn't know an SGT even existed.

When I bought mine, I was at the dealer looking for a Black GT/CS. When I spotted the SGT, I basically knew that it was the car I wanted, before I even knew exactly what it was.

Now, with the number of new, unsold '08 and even '07 Sgt sitting at dealers, I can't help but wonder how much "public demand" there really was.

I didn't know they even existed because all the hype was mostly geared towards the GT500 and the ADMs were out of control a year ago so just looking for a regular GT I came across this Shelby GT and I thought wow, are those real and so I did my research and stumbled upon this website and sure enough, a Shelby GT did exist and so I purchased it because of its looks and the history behind it, plus my sixbanger was giving out on me at 132,000 miles.....even with the whole hood scoop issue I still love this car and I don't see many on the steets and the conversation this thing generates I am one happy customer. :happy feet:

My wife has always liked Mustangs we have talked for several years about getting a fun "muscle" car. When the S197's came out in 05, my wife said "that" is the body style she was waiting for and "I want one".

After doing some looking around, she decided she wanted something more than a "GT". We looked at Roush and Saleen then I happened upon a craigslist ad of a white SGT a few months back. When I showed her the picture she said, "that is the Mustang I want."

Never drove one and quite frankly never even noticed them before. As it turns out for us, it has the right style and prefomance without the gaudyness of some of the other Mustangs. Being a half @$$ed gearhead, when I discovered it was a Shelby I knew it should be a decent car with good heritage.

I had a 2004 Mach1 and my son had a 2006 V6 at the time.

I was always lusting over the old Shelbys with books about them. I knew I'd never own one due to their prices.

I saw that the new GT-H's were coming out. I happened to go on a business trip with required me to rent a car at the Burbank, CA airport. What luck, when I found out that a GT-H was available to rent.

It was a one day trip, since I live in San Francisco; a short one hour flight away. I scheduled a later return flight to make sure I had enough time to evaluate the GT-H vs. my Mach1. The Mach1 has the 4 valve head.

After driving the GT-H all I could say was WOW!!

So, when the SGT's came out, I bought one. And living my dream of buying a new Shelby!! :happy feet:

How many bought the SGT, after renting a GT-H? Yes - 3 times

How many bought it because of the Shelby Heritage? Yes

saw it and decided you just had to have it? That too

I new the GT-H was coming out. I had a trip to Hawaii 12/06 with my wife and another couple. This was the only car we rented (because I had to have it). No one else was very happy getting squeezed in the car with all the luggage with a mad man at the wheel. :gang: But I got it out on the open road one morning with my wife at sunrise and thats all it took for me - I had to find a way to get something like this. :peelout: GT500 prices were out of my range and I loved the driveablity of this car. 2007s in my area were always too high due to dealer markups. I liked the black and white SGTs, but they just never pulled me in. Everyone I saw seemed to have a hood scoop issue. I rented one of the first 2007 GT-Hs later on th trip to Vegas in 7/07, it still had paper tags. When the 2008 SGT came out in blue - that did it, blue is my color. I decided if I could ever get one at MSRP I would grab it. :drool: On 1/30/08 (my birthday) I did. :yahoo: A in 7/08 I got to rent one of the last ones available again in Vegas. :beerchug: I drove a GT-H every chance I could.

Shelby Heritage - you bet. I remember growing up there were Mustangs and then there were Shelbys. The Shelby was an entirely different breed of vehicle. Something I always wanted, but it seemed to fade away. Once they started pumping out those GT-Hs though, it sparked me up all over again.

And yes - I had to have it, especially when it came out in blue.

I have always loved Ford's and specifically Mustangs. My uncle had a 69 GT500 that he bought from Galpin Ford in the SF Valley, CA. He was a "legend" in the family with tales of blasting down the 210 Freeway at 130MPH and out running (then) CHP. As a young kid, it puts something in your head that the name "Shelby" just meant something awe-inspiring. My aunt and uncle spoke of it with baited breath and it just seemed magical.

Fast forward 40 years.... Coming home from Jury duty one night I see a white GT500 parked on the dealers street corner. I found that to be somewhat odd... These were "showroom" cars, you didn't just throw those out on the street! If someone was serious (and loaded) they walked into the comfortable air condition showroom to get a GT500. I stopped in to inquire about the oddity. The salesman popped the hood and doors before I could even get my questions out. He said the ADM's had all been removed and I could drive it off today for $48K!!! Talk about TEMPTATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He said I couldn't drive it though..... To which I excused myself, because i'm not buying anytying I can't drive.

However, the quest began.... Dealer after dealer had knocked the ADM's off these beasts! I started doing my homework too and found the plentiful Grabber Orange SGT's (I live in So CAL) and was sooooo close to buying one. Granted, limited number, but then I saw it... A Vista Blue sitting out in the sun one morning on the way to work! Once I sae that thing I had to have it. I spoke with probably 12 different dealers in So Cal before I found the one I wanted equipped the way I wanted..

History/Fantasy/Economy I would say were the 3 main reasons I bought mine..... Not to mention, nothing like having something that is sort of "under the radar" in terms of popularity!!!

Shelby Heritage made me do it. I loved Shelby's as a kid. I think the 427 Cobra was the first car I pointed out to my dad as a kid. That did it.

Interesting story of how I got my Shelby. It sat in Victor Fords dealership from August 2007 to November 16,2007. I dropped off cars I detailed for them and I would see it would move to different parts of the building. Nobody wanted it because it was a automatic. No dealer mark up or anything, just it was auto. I bought it and havent looked back since.

I had never heard of the SGT before seeing one on the dealers lot. I had heard of but not seen anything other than a picture of the GT-H. Always loved mustangs and lusted after a Shelby. Saw my car on the lot months ago and my son put the picture on his phone. When the employee pricing plus hit and my Land Rover was due for a major service out of my pocket, I traded and I am glad I did. It is the most fun I have driving in a long time and the car gets a TON of attention everywhere it goes.

Almost every article I have read about the SGT states that it was conceived due to public demand, based on the customer experience with the GT-H rental car.

When I bought mine, I was at the dealer looking for a Black GT/CS. When I spotted the SGT, I basically knew that it was the car I wanted, before I even knew exactly what it was.

Now, with the number of new, unsold '08 and even '07 Sgt sitting at dealers, I can't help but wonder how much "public demand" there really was.

I've loved Mustangs since I was a kid and always dreamed of owning a Shelby.

I bought the SGT in particular because of my 2 days in a GT-H. I thought that I'd never be able to love a car more than my 66 fastback, but I was wrong. :)

Ken

Guest hfrosso

My wife wanted a mustang convertible ,but i didn't wanted just a "mustang GT" I liked the GT 500 ,but when they came out the dealers wanted more than the MSRP,so that's was a no go for me, and i wanted a new one .So then I saw the 07's they looked realy sharp and awsome, but we had decided that if where ever to buy another (I had a VW GTI and an R32 before)car it had to be a convertible. Then one day i went to my Ford dealer to change the oil on my truck and get my wife a new Explorer and that's when we saw the car .

Then we decided hell with the explorer whe're taking the Shelby!!!

Just because we had to have it!!! :happy feet:

I rented the Hertz car in Sanfransico in June 08 for my 35th birthday and fell in love and knew I was going to get one. I searched ebay and found a MINT used 08 SGT Vert with 1,200 miles on it in Milwaukee. I got it for a great price. I love the car and it has changed my life; I enjoy all the Shelby events I attend and the meeting of new friends.

My father worked for Ford for 12 years. From 1962 thru 1974. He was lucky enough to have lots of company cars and the best ones were the Shelby's. They were just dream machines for me. He had a red, GT500KR and a green 1968 GT350. Now he only had them for a month each but they were all a kid like me could ask for. Everyone of his friends and lots of neighbors would come and visit his cars. They were something special for sure.

When I first saw pictures of the 2007 GT500 I swore that I'd have one. Well, price and kids in college changed that target. I saw, through the magazines, that they were going to produce a SGT but with the initial pricing I thought that would be to pricey for me. Well, things lined up and I found myself in the market for a new car. I was focused in on the 2007 GT/CS and had one all lined up and ready to make the deal. Luckily for me the dealer I headed over to was Brandon Ford which, I came to find out, is a Roush and Shelby dealer. When I first got there I saw they had a few of the SGTs in Black and White. I was very excited to see one but never expected to be able to get one. I was focusing in on the White GT/CS that I was over there to see and mentioned to the sales guy how much I liked the looks of the SGT. Well one thing lead to another and we cut a great deal for the White SGT that I now have. As soon as I started it up and clicked the Hurst into gear there wasn't anything that was going to keep me from owning that car. I didn't tell the sales guy that fact, but if he could have read my mind he would have charged me many K$ more. The rest is history and I couldn't like any car more.

Now, I'm the one that friends and neighbors come to see the cool Shelby. Gotta love that.

Don

My father own's a 68GT500KR that he purchased brand new. As far back as I can remember I wanted to buy my very own brand new Shelby. When Ford released the new Mustang, I thought this is my only opertunity to get something close. Then I heard they are making Shelby's. Didn't know about the Shelby GTs until I found Team Shelby, and realize this is where they are building Shelby GTs and KRs.

Since I can't afford a KR, the next best think was a 2008 Shelby GT. Same color as my dads, and the best choice I ever made. Now I just need to get pics of both cars together

My Dad bought a brand new 1967 Mustang Coupe with a 2 barrel 289 when they first came out in the fall. I got my first drivers license the next spring. :shift: I learned to drive in that car and I met my wife and dated her in that car. :happy feet: I really loved that car. :drool:

Since it really wasn't my car, I couldn't take it away to college :cry: . By the time we finished school, the Mustang II was out, yuck. I bought a 73 Firebird and stuck with GM as I never cared for any of the mid 70-2004 Mustang body styles. :barf: The older ones were beyond my price range and mechanical ability at the time.

I always loved the 67-69 Mustang style :drool: I almost drove off of the road when I saw my first 2005. I thought I was having a flashback of some sort :wacko:. I did some checking and decided I had to have the new body style. After all, I sold all of my toys to save my home after I went out of business because of 9/11.

In the fall of 2007, we went to a home show to get granite coutertop ideas. For some reason, Hertz had a booth with a SGT-H convert. on display. That was the turning point. I was hooked.

A few weeks later, we rented a black 6 banger 2006 Mustang for our annual NHRA race road trip trip to Vegas. Black, talk about fate. I was pleased with the creature comforts and the visibility of the fastback roof. The trunk held a week's worth of luggage.

I made deal with my wife that if she got her kitchen for Christmas, I would get a V-8 Mustang GT and set it up like a clone of the Hertz car I saw. I had no idea the Hertz car was a year old and the black or white SGTs were out there. I did see hundreds of Vista Blue Mustangs under wraps across from SAI when we went to the races. I didn't know what they were for. I just thought how lucky somebody would be to own one.

When I found the right base color Mustang GT I wanted to build my clone around, I called the dealer before I went in. I told the salesman over the phone what my plans for the car were. He said he could save me a lot of time and trouble because he had a new black :peelout: , there's that color again, SGT they were looking to be rid of. It was the middle of December, gas was going up, it was an automatic, they are bad in the snow,etc. He made me an offer over the phone I couldn't beleive.

So I bought my SGT, sight unseen, because of the heritage. I knew I was going to buy it before I ever got to the dealer. After all, it said "Shelby" on it.

I took delivery on Dec. 14, 2007, joined TS in Feb. 2008 and my life has never been the same since :yahoo:

I've always wanted a GT but due to kids I just never put my needs before the families. Then one Sunday (dealership closed) the wife and I were just checking out GT's in the lot and found the SGT sitting there. Had no idea what it was but we fell in love with it. Sticker shock at 52K quickly made us do a double take. I thought no way can this be a 52K car. Forward to the bad economy and another trip to the dealership. This time the care was just over 30K... how could I pass it up. Came back when the dealer was open and asked about the car. Dealer wanted it off the lot so I got it for even less and a few additional incentives. It's been my daily driver ever since.

My wife and I rented a SGTH Aug 2006 at Monteray vintage race , knowing alot about Selbys we own a 67 adn 69 GT350 we really enjoyed car. After races on way back to San Francisco Sue said why dont you buy one which we did. I dont think Ford or Shelby advertised this car the way it should have been but that is history.

I am among the ones that had no idea they were being made. I had recently purchased my Mach 1 so I really wasn't looking for a car. My wife drove by the local dealership and saw a black car with silver stripes and said Shelby on it, but I refused to look at it for quite some time. My brother in law looked at it about 2 months after my wife told me to look at it. He came over and insisted that I go look at it. So I did and we left the dealership with my wife's new car that day. She says she wouldn't trade it for anything. It is her Black Sunshine.

I had read about the GT-H and saw it at a Mustang show in the summer of 2006. When I read an article in Mustang Monthly about the production of the 2007 SGT, I was very interested. I have a 1966 Mustang and always wanted a vintage Shelby, but they were well out of my price range. I've never owned a modern muscle car and evenutally decided that the SGT would fit the bill perfectly!

I checked out a black SGT at a dealer in the summer of 2006 with a $10k ADM. A couple of months later, I was driving by my local Ford dealer (in my 66 mustang) and spotted a white SGT in the front row. I pulled a U-turn and pulled in to check it out. They wanted well over MSRP for it and I wasn't willing to part with my '66 (although they were interested in taking it as a trade). I checked back about a month later and took it for a test drive and was almost sold! Price was still a little more than I wanted to pay.

Shortly thereafter, Ford offered the employee/partner pricing and it was a done deal for me! Been very happy ever since! :happy feet:

-yellow pony

I rented the GT-H convertible and the rest is history. It is great just knowing I don't have to turn this one in. Now if people would just stop messing with my hood pins. Look but don't touch. Twice now I have come out to my car to find the hood pins laying on the bumper... :headscratch:

Right before I moved out to Vegas I had just bought an '06 GT and was at Gaudin Ford getting the service done on it and saw one of the 1st white '07 SGT on their showroom floor...it was the most beautiful car I had ever seen! I had no reason to get rid of my '06 though, i got a great deal on it; about 8 months later i got rear-ended on I-15 and even after $17k worth of damage they wouldn't total it out. To make a long story short...i ended up with 07SGT4619 with a great deal on a model year end clearance and Z-plan, my grandfather retired from the engine plant in Cleveland...i think he would be very proud of this beautiful car.

hi_front.jpg

hi_front.jpg

After building our new house ourselves (3 years long), we knew we wanted a new Shelby as a kind of reward. We were looking at the GT500 and trying to figure out a way to come up with the money. At that time, the ADM's were out of control, imo. We then learned of the Shelby GT program (a steed for every need). We had not seen one until a local parade here, and in that parade was our 07SGT. By this time, our financial situation had changed for the worse. That SGT sat at the dealers lot for 1 year 1 month getting all nasty and dirty. We would go by and look at it all the time. Then one day we stopped by just to hear it run. Well, the dealer was very motivated to sell, and we took it home. That was last Aug. Since, we have 3000 miles on it, and getting ready to take it on the Mustangs Across America Tour, Oregon to Vegas to Birmingham AL back to Oregon, 5400 miles. Love that car.

Good thread Bob! Enjoyed meeting you and other TS members at Horsepower on the Horse Farm in February!

• Rented a 2006 GT-H in Las Vegas in December, 2006

Drove it out to SAI, LMVS, Hoover Dam, and Red Rock Canyon

The start of the relationship
... Also when Steve Navarro told me about the upcoming SGT when I was at SAI.

post-14757-1236141916_thumb.jpg - Steve N of SAI showing me the finer points of 06H418 (he completed final assembly on this car)

post-14757-1236141935_thumb.jpg - A fellow enthusiast and I exchanged photo ops in Red Rock Canyon

• Rented a 2007 GT-H Convetible in Hawaii (Oahu) in September, 2007

Drove it all over the island for two days with a 2 month old baby in the back (so, I kept the top up far more than I would have liked).

As he was going through the pre-rental GT-H checklist with me, the Hertz manager said it was the first time he'd seen someone with a car seat in a Shelby.

You know how cool the exhaust sounds.?.. drive a convertible through a tunnel at WOT... Wow!

The relationship's getting serious now
... and my wife finally agrees that if we can fit ourselves, the baby (with carseat), and the requisite luggage for all of us (for 12 days... but we pack light especially with a 2 month old) then maybe it's more practical than say, a Corvette, as a "fun car".

post-14757-1236141984_thumb.jpg - This is paradise...

• Learned that the SGT would be offered in convertible form as a 2008 model... and in Vista Blue (the fastest color... and a Shelby signature classic color combo with the silver stripes) no less.

The prices drop...

I transfer to Florida for work, making it much more practical than in Illinois for year round enjoyment.

After an extensive search for just the right car, I finally land a 2008 SGT Convertible for $6k
under
MSRP - quite the contrast to high ADM's just 6 months earlier.

I'm sold
and pick up my new baby on Father's day weekend!!

I love it and never plan to sell it!

post-14757-1236142051_thumb.jpg - The honeymoon's just begun...

post-14757-1236143300_thumb.jpg - Someday my son will be telling the same stories that some of you are now about your father's car...

post-14757-1236141916_thumb.jpg

post-14757-1236141935_thumb.jpg

post-14757-1236141984_thumb.jpg

post-14757-1236142051_thumb.jpg

post-14757-1236143300_thumb.jpg

Wow, I could have written that myself. Main difference I was looking for either a white or black CS, couldn't make up my mind. Saw the White SGT on the showroom, It winked at me and followed me home. End of story, or was it the beginning? Sure I knew about the old Shelby's and the GT500's and had heard of the Hertz Shelby's but didn't know there was a Shelby GT I could buy. And now I see I'm not the only one ;)

Jim

I have Wanted a Shelby since my 16 th birthday. At my uncle's urging my mother gave me her junk yard bound 72 mustang coupe as a Bday gift. My Uncle a gear head from the 60s gave me a Mach 1 hood from the junk yard, to put on the coupe, and the first ever Hot Rod special addition Mustang magazine, just loaded with shelby photos.

So, in 2007 when the Shelby GT500 was released I wrote an email letter to ford, explain I have an artifical leg and can't drive stick.

I asked if there was some way an Automatic version could be built for me if I ordered one. They replied by saying, we have a second Shelby model, The Shelby GT and your local dealer has a black one with an Auto in stock. The sales manager will be contact you.

3 hours later I was negoiating with him.

Although I wound up walking a awy and buying one the next day in Barrington, as they actually moved on the price.

I love this car. I drive a piece of crud white serial killer mobile conversion van for 5 months of the year just to preserve my baby during these harsh Chicago winters. Dreams do come true... Pray this economy turns so I can keep it forever.

I really liked the new chassis and thought it was a great improvement over the Fox after owning two of them. The GT-H was out of my reach when they came out and didn't think they would come out a Shelby GT. A co-worker owns a Mustang GT while another owns a Shelby GT/SC that did it for me. I liked the Grabber Orange color and it coming in a Shelby version made it a plus. I bought the GT-C a year old never registered for only a few thousand more than my co-worker spent on his Mustang GT. I have only put 25 miles on the car so far because it snowed here in CT the day after receiving it on 2/28. Thank you Mr. Shelby.

I was tired of driving my focus while I had a srt8 charger in the garage...I didn't want to drive the charger daily so I went to look at mustang gt's...I drove a few at the local dealership and tried to work a deal on a dealer installed regency package mustang that had a ton of aftermarket stuff on it...came within $1000.00 of my price but they wouldn't budge so i quit thinking about it...Then we took a trip to my aunts and happened to stop for lunch unknowingly on the exit I bought my charger from so we drove through to look and see if they had any mustangs...They had 2 a 6 cylinder and the shelby...I didn't really know what a SGT is...I didn't want to pay almost $10,000.00 for a shelby package that didn't add much power...Well I ended up getting more for my trade then I expected and they came down several thousand below A-plan price plus rebates so after 3 hours of thinking and 2 test drives I finally decided to purchase it...It's only when I got home and got on here that I realized what the SGT is and the heritage with Shelby and all...I thought I had bought a mustang GT with a bunch of aftermarket stuff put on by shelby...Wich that is what the car is but I didn't realize the limited # and all that stuff until I looked on here...

Archived