TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Another obama tax scofflaw

Trade Nominee Ron Kirk to Pay $10,000 in Back Taxes

Ron Kirk, nominated as U.S. Trade Representative in the Obama administration, owes an estimated $10,000 in back taxes from earlier in the decade.

AP

Monday, March 02, 2009

0 x

in order to recommend a story, you must login or register.

34 Comments | Add Comment

ShareThisPhotos

In this Dec. 19, 2008 file photo, Ron Kirk, President-elect Barack Obama's U.S. Trade Representative-designate, speaks at a news conference in Chicago The Senate Finance Committee says President Kirk owes roughly $10,000 in back federal taxes and has agreed to pay them. (AP)

PEOPLE WHO READ THIS...

Also read these stories:

Limbaugh Rallies Conservatives to Fight Democrats, Find 'Right Candidate'

[2009-02-28]

limbaugh rallies conservatives, limbaugh riles up cpac, limbaugh, cpac, rush riles up cpac

9406 visitors also liked this.

Overturned Boat, 1 Survivor Found in Search for NFL Players

[2009-03-02]

coast guard finds boat one survivor uncertain if it's boat carrying nfl players, coast guard finds overturned boat in search for missing nfl players, overturned boat 1 survivor found in search for nfl players march 02 2009, boat 1 survivor found, nfl

5697 visitors also liked this.

Honorably Discharged Soldier Called Back for Duty Plans to Bring Kids

[2009-03-01]

mom resorts to taking kids to war, soldier called back to duty brings kids with her, honorably discharged soldier called back for duty plans to bring kids, soldier called back for duty plans to bring kids, honorably discharged soldier called back for duty plans to bring kids february 28 2009

4596 visitors also liked this.

Scary Skinny and Sad: Katie Holmes Shocks With Gaunt Appearance

[2009-03-02]

scary skinny and sad, scary skinny and sad katie holmes shocks with gaunt appearance march 02 2009, scary skinny and sad katie holmes shocks with gaunt appearancemarch 02 2009, scary skinny katie holmes shocks with gaunt look, scary skinny and sad katie holmes shocks with gaunt appearance

4538 visitors also liked this.

Scandal Queens: Catching Up With Amy Fisher, Monica Lewinsky and More

[2009-03-01]

scandal queens, scandal queens catching up with amy fisher monica lewinsky and more march 01 2009, scandal queens catching up with amy fisher monica lewinsky and more, scandal queens catching up with amy fisher monica lewinsky and moremarch 01 2009, news.com

4508 visitors also liked this.

powered by BaynoteWASHINGTON -- Ron Kirk, nominated as U.S. Trade Representative in the Obama administration, owes an estimated $10,000 in back taxes from earlier in the decade and has agreed to make his payments, the Senate Finance Committee said Monday.

The committee said the taxes arise from Kirk's handling of speaking fees that he donated to his alma mater, and for his deduction of the full cost of season tickets to the Dallas Mavericks professional basketball team.

The disclosure made the former Dallas mayor the latest in a string of top-level Obama administration appointees found to have underpaid their taxes, following Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner and Tom Daschle, who withdrew as candidate for Health and Human Services secretary. Nancy Killefer, Obama's pick for chief performance officer, also bowed out amid tax problems.

There was no immediate reaction from the White House to the underpayments, which were uncovered by the committee's staff in a review of Kirk's nomination papers.

Despite the error, Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, issued a statement calling Kirk "the right person for this job," and said he would attempt to have the nomination moved through the panel quickly.

Kirk routinely gave any speaking fees he earned to Austin College, the committee said, and did not list them on his tax returns.

Instead, the committee said he should have listed the fees as income, then claimed them as charitable donations. The estimated effect was to reduce Kirk's tax bill by an estimated $5,800, according to the report.

Kirk also deducted more than $17,000 as entertainment expenses for the cost of Mavericks' tickets. The committee said he substantiated about $9,900 of that amount, and will owe about $2,600 in taxes on the balance.

The committee said that last fall, Kirk amended his income tax return for 2006, paying an additional $2,188 in tax and $139 in interest after a notification from the Internal Revenue Service. The return was filed by a paid tax preparer, the panel added.

I will gladly admit my computer defiencies if you will only arrange for integrity and ethics training for liberals!

And for the "EXTREME CORRUPT CAPITALIST REPUBLICANS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hysterical:

Guest markham51

I for one think it is a very good thing that Obama is holding his candidates to a higher standard than Bush did. I think it is important to make sure that taxes are paid in full. The system is finally working the way the taxpayer would want it to work. Politicians dont get a free pass.

Embarassing yes! :blush: .... but at least accountable. :finger:

Remember I am not a Democrat........Just an honest Repub that hates Hypocrocy.......... :hysterical:

"I for one think it is a very good thing that Obama is holding his candidates to a higher standard than Bush did. I think it is important to make sure that taxes are paid in full. The system is finally working the way the taxpayer would want it to work. Politicians dont get a free pass.

Embarassing yes! .... but at least accountable."

Holding them to a higher standard?....Oh Puleeze....the only reason they have paid up now is because they got caught!!

Bush's cabinet level appointees were also vetted. They just weren't tax cheats so we didn't have this problem. As to this newest tax fiasco, it appears to be an innocent mistake. I've been very critical of the other tax cheats but this one really doesn't rise to the level of malfeasance and even the guys tax preparer thought he had correctly filed the tax return. All he did was give a speech or speeches and told the organizations to donate his speaking fees to his alma matter. He wasn't trying to get over on anybody or make a dishonest buck. He was trying to be charitable. He should have said "I'll speak for free. It would be nice if you made a donation to....." This one is much ado about nothing.

Bush's cabinet level appointees were also vetted. They just weren't tax cheats so we didn't have this problem. As to this newest tax fiasco, it appears to be an innocent mistake. I've been very critical of the other tax cheats but this one really doesn't rise to the level of malfeasance and even the guys tax preparer thought he had correctly filed the tax return. All he did was give a speech or speeches and told the organizations to donate his speaking fees to his alma matter. He wasn't trying to get over on anybody or make a dishonest buck. He was trying to be charitable. He should have said "I'll speak for free. It would be nice if you made a donation to....." This one is much ado about nothing.

+1

Remember I am not a Democrat........Just an honest Repub that hates Hypocrocy.......... :hysterical:

Really? A Repub?

I for one think it is a very good thing that Obama is holding his candidates to a higher standard than Bush did. I think it is important to make sure that taxes are paid in full. The system is finally working the way the taxpayer would want it to work. Politicians dont get a free pass.

Embarassing yes! :blush: .... but at least accountable. :finger:

So you're saying that there wasn't vetting in the prior admin? Please!

Republican's always pay there taxes they are held to a higher standard then the Democrats. I think everyone in Congress should have there finances looked at.

I agree. Let the chips fall where they may.

Here is a little list I've maintained...

Bill Richardson/Commerce Sec. Grand jury investigation into a state contract awarded to his political donors.

Tom Daschle/HHS failure to pay $100k+ taxes… “Sorry”

Nancy Killefer/Chief performance officer. Failure to pay payroll taxes

Timothy Geithner/Treasury Sec..in despite failure to pay >$34k in taxes…”Sorry”

Hilda Solis/Labor Sec. Husbands 16 yr old tax leins. Lobbied for Americans Right to Work

Judd Gregg R/NH Withdrew over “irresolvable conflicts” over stimulus pkg and 2010 census

Ron Kirk (former Dallas Mayor) Trade Rep agrees to pay back @ $10,000 taxes for 2005,06,07

I have not run this through any of the "fact or fiction" sites.

"36 have been accused of spousal abuse

7 have been arrested for fraud

19 have been accused of writing bad checks

117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses

3 have done time for assault

71,repeat 71

cannot get a credit card due to bad credit

14 have been arrested on drug-related charges

8 have been arrested for shoplifting

21 currently are defendants in lawsuits,

and

84 have been arrested for drunk driving

in the last year

Can

you guess which organization this is?

NBA Or NFL

?

Give up yet? .

Scroll down,

Neither,

it's the 435 members of the

United States Congress

The same group of Idiots that crank out

hundreds of new laws each year

designed to keep the rest of us in line."

I have not run this through any of the "fact or fiction" sites.

"36 have been accused of spousal abuse

7 have been arrested for fraud

19 have been accused of writing bad checks

117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses

3 have done time for assault

71,repeat 71

cannot get a credit card due to bad credit

14 have been arrested on drug-related charges

8 have been arrested for shoplifting

21 currently are defendants in lawsuits,

and

84 have been arrested for drunk driving

in the last year

Can

you guess which organization this is?

NBA Or NFL

?

Give up yet? .

Scroll down,

Neither,

it's the 435 members of the

United States Congress

The same group of Idiots that crank out

hundreds of new laws each year

designed to keep the rest of us in line."

Wow now thats what I call a goverment. How did they find time to run the country?

Archived