TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SHELBY GT DRIVE SHAFT

HEY GUYS,

I AM MOVING A HEAD WITH MY MODS. AND I AM WANTING TO KNOW HOW MUCH

HORSE POWER CAN THE STOCK DRIVE SHAFT HANDLE.

ALSO IS IT THE SAME ONE AS THE GT500.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE TECH INFO.

SCOTTY

Scotty, I beleive the DS on the GT/SGT/H is one inch longer than on the GT500. Dunno which section is longer but I suspect it's the front section since I think the GT's 5-spd is 1" shorter than the TR6060 in GT500. Also, dunno if the joints, etc are the same or not.

I think once you pass the 550 rwhp you pulled the grenade pin. I'm being safe and installing it once I hit 345 rwhp. It's very unnecessary, but better safe than sorry.

I road race, auto-cross and drag race A LOT.

So are you going to be hardcore racing?

I think once you pass the 550 rwhp you pulled the grenade pin. I'm being safe and installing it once I hit 345 rwhp. It's very unnecessary, but better safe than sorry.

I road race, auto-cross and drag race A LOT.

So are you going to be hardcore racing?

IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU CALL HARDCORE. I WILL BE GOING TO VEGAS TO HAVE THE

WHIPPLE UPGRADE PACKAGE AND I AM INSTALLING NEW LOWER CONTROL ARMS AND

AN ADJUSTABLE UPPER 3RD LINK IN ANTICIPATION OF THE 475 PLUS H.P. OF THE

WHIPPLE UPGRADE.I HAVE ALSO ALREADY UPGRADE THE BRAKES TO BREMBO'S AND

THE WHEELS TO GT500'S THAT BEING SAID, I WOULD LIKE TO DO SOME ROAD COURSE

RACING AT GINGERMAN IN MICHIGAN,MID-OHIO ,WATKINS GLENN AND

SOME OF SVT ROAD COURSE EVENTS.

IF YOU MEAN DRAG RACING I HAVE BEEN DOING A FAIR AMOUNT OF THAT WITH MY

GT500 VERT AT MILAN AND UBLY DRAGWAYS IN MICHIGAN AND

BEACH BEND IN KENTUCKY ALSO MEMPHIS MOTORPLEX .

HEY GUYS,

I AM MOVING A HEAD WITH MY MODS. AND I AM WANTING TO KNOW HOW MUCH

HORSE POWER CAN THE STOCK DRIVE SHAFT HANDLE.

ALSO IS IT THE SAME ONE AS THE GT500.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE TECH INFO.

SCOTTY

If you are asking if the stock, two-piece steel drive shaft on the SGT can handle a 500+ hp blower, I think the answer is a resounding yes! You'll blow the bottom out of the 281 block or destroy your clutch/transmission before you'll hurt the stock DS...

If you are asking if the stock, two-piece steel drive shaft on the SGT can handle a 500+ hp blower, I think the answer is a resounding yes! You'll blow the bottom out of the 281 block or destroy your clutch/transmission before you'll hurt the stock DS...

Dan, you keep messing us up with the truth. :hysterical: You need to tell us we NEED a one-piece DS because, truth be told, we WANT one. Again, keep the facts out of here and just tell us that you just never know when a DS will give up the ghost so (and these are the magic words) there is no harm to upgrading to that one-piece DS.

Jim

Dan, you keep messing us up with the truth. :hysterical: You need to tell us we NEED a one-piece DS because, truth be told, we WANT one. Again, keep the facts out of here and just tell us that you just never know when a DS will give up the ghost so (and these are the magic words) there is no harm to upgrading to that one-piece DS.

Jim

Not entirely true, it will harm your wallet.

Jeff

IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU CALL HARDCORE. I WILL BE GOING TO VEGAS TO HAVE THE

WHIPPLE UPGRADE PACKAGE AND I AM INSTALLING NEW LOWER CONTROL ARMS AND

AN ADJUSTABLE UPPER 3RD LINK IN ANTICIPATION OF THE 475 PLUS H.P. OF THE

WHIPPLE UPGRADE.I HAVE ALSO ALREADY UPGRADE THE BRAKES TO BREMBO'S AND

THE WHEELS TO GT500'S THAT BEING SAID, I WOULD LIKE TO DO SOME ROAD COURSE

RACING AT GINGERMAN IN MICHIGAN,MID-OHIO ,WATKINS GLENN AND

SOME OF SVT ROAD COURSE EVENTS.

IF YOU MEAN DRAG RACING I HAVE BEEN DOING A FAIR AMOUNT OF THAT WITH MY

GT500 VERT AT MILAN AND UBLY DRAGWAYS IN MICHIGAN AND

BEACH BEND IN KENTUCKY ALSO MEMPHIS MOTORPLEX .

Ok so fair amount of track use...

I would definitely go with a one piece.

I bought my Saleen just for track racing and weekend cruises. Since my father bought it from me it is now just a show car which sucks. I'm saving up for a SGT for my DD and track usage as well as my weekend cruise. Just be warn with a one piece you will feel a slight difference when you downshift. Some find it uncomfortable, some don't even feel it at all.

I bought mine from Axleexchange. Weights 21.5 lbs with the flange. About half the weight of the 2 piece stock shaft. 699.00 plus shipping for 4 in. shaft. Don't forget the adj. upper control arm to set the pinion angle. Lots of brands. Take your pick. I bought mine from Axle exchange on account JDM Racing uses this shaft on 750+ hp mustangs.

FYI Here's another discussion about the benefits/cons of installing a 1 piece driveshaft.

On a side note, I've read almost everywhere that the safety loops are a good idea with a 1 piece.

https://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/mustang-p...driveshaft.html

Ken

p.s. Anyone here install a carbon fiber driveshaft? If so, what kind of gains can you report, if any?

Jim

Ahhhhh....

Yes, yes, you will love the Alum DS because of the smooooottttthhhhness! (How's that?) :drool:

I DO love mine! Maybe a little power bump to the wheels, too! Plus, looks good!

NewDS01.jpg

Archived