TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fuel Filter

I have not been paying attenion to my fuel pressure gauge, was down to 20lb at 3/4 throttle, changed the fuel filter and now it's about 60lbs at 3/4 throttle, so change your filter, mine was at 11,000 miles, now I will change it at every other oil change, The filter is located under the car right below the driver seat and 10 mm socket with 4 nuts, Rick

BTW, that is the cover for the fuel filter, watch out for the fuel, there will be pressure and the gas will come out quick and spray, you have to pinch the little green tabs to get the filter off

I have not been paying attenion to my fuel pressure gauge, was down to 20lb at 3/4 throttle, changed the fuel filter and now it's about 60lbs at 3/4 throttle, so change your filter, mine was at 11,000 miles, now I will change it at every other oil change, The filter is located under the car right below the driver seat and 10 mm socket with 4 nuts, Rick

BTW, that is the cover for the fuel filter, watch out for the fuel, there will be pressure and the gas will come out quick and spray, you have to pinch the little green tabs to get the filter off

Hey Rick,

When did you change the wheels? This is the first time I have noticed them. They look great!!

MM

If we released pressure by taking off the fuel cap, do you think that would help?

While I haven't done this yet, I don't believe you can release fuel line pressure via the fuel cap. The pressure would be in the line itself, between the fuel pump and the engine. The tank may have a little pressure in it, but not like the fuel line.

Hi Rick

Did you use a stock replacement part for the fuel filter itself? If we released pressure by taking off the fuel cap, do you think that would help?

Jim

I used the Steeda high flow filter, if there is really such a thing, Its probley just a stock ford filter and there was no way to release the pressure as it was from pump to motor, Rick

Thanks for suggesting a fuel filter replacement. Today I paid $45 to have the filter replaced after 27,944 miles on the original filter. The mechanic showed me the gunk as it flowed out of the filter and into the drain pan, it was between the color of tea and coffee.

The SGT had been less than smooth when accelerating, and on start up when I left the parking garage at the end of the day. Now accel is smooth as butter.

• 4 months later...

Good call on the filter for sure. Just a note for anyone doing this themselves. It's wise to cycle your fuel pump a couple of times, after you've opened up the fuel lines for any reason.

Once your filter is replaced, I'd suggest turning the key on (not the engine), till you hear the fuel pump cycle on for a few seconds. Key off and back on and you're good to go. This just ensures that you're not sending a pocket of air to your injectors (but is probably more important when you break the line at the rails, I would assume, but this certainly can't hurt).

Ken

Here are the instructions for releasing the fuel system pressure before you change your fuel filter (or do any other fuel line work).

NO SMOKING!!! :extinguish:

Fuel_System_Pressure_Release.pdf

Here are the instructions for releasing the fuel system pressure before you change your fuel filter (or do any other fuel line work).

Thanks for posting the instructions for releasing the pressure. A lot better than taking a high pressure gasoline shower! :extinguish:

-yellow pony

Not much gas poured out and what little did I caught with a rag.

I used a $25 Motorcraft filter tonight and noticed a pressure increase of around 10-15 at 1/2-3/4 throttle.

The first pump cycle sounded terrible, lots of cavitation. By the 3rd cycle, it sounded normal and I had 50 psi of head pressure.

Anyway, thanks again for the reminder. I have 27,661 miles and obviously needed it done.

Ken

Archived