TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Very proud moment

Last night was a very big deal for me. I just turned 47, and I have 4 kids. I have had the same best friend for almost 30 years, and he has 3 kids. His oldest son "Josh" is 17 1/2. It is too long of a story to tell, but Josh's mom is not involved in his life in any way and has not been for 6 or 7 years. He has a wonderful step mom who has been in his life since he was less than 1 year old.

Josh went through a tough time when he had the problems with his birth mom, and I did my best to be supporting of him even though I often have my hands full with my own kids. I was worried that those problems would scar him for life. I went to his baseball games and basketball games and helped in any way I could so that he would always feel he could count on me, and he has always called me "Uncle Bob" even though we are not actually related.

Josh made it through the tough times and turned into an absolutely outstanding kid. His grades are excellent (he has to work hard for them) and he is active in his church and as a fire department explorer. After high school he plans to go on his 2 year LDS (Mormon) mission and then become a firefighter, and he is turning in to a young man you can be very proud of and a good role model for his younger brothers.

When Josh accepted his eagle scout certificate and awards, he was asked to speak, and one of the things he did was recognize 4 people as his mentors, who each came up to the podium and were given an eagle scout mentor pin and were recognized. Josh selected his stepmother (who is his mom as far as he is concerned), his father, his paternal grandfather, and me.

I was stunned. He has aunts, uncles, other grandparents, and many other role models from church, school, scouting and other activities. We have always had a good relationship and I have always considered him family, but I simply did not realize that my efforts to be their for him and support him had made such an impact on him (he was my best friend's son, I just looked at what I did for him as what you should do for a friend or family member, i.e., let them know you care, go to their games, help them when you can, and answer the phone when they call). I was quite honored, and was speechless for a bit (I am a lawyer who has done trial work for 20 years, I am not easily made speechless). To be recognized as a mentor for his achievement is a moment I will treasure.

So, if you are in the City of Claremont, California, and see a guy wandering around today with a big grin on his face and a gold "Eagle Scout Mentor" pin on his shirt, it is probably me. If you see me, do not ask me about my Shelby today. Ask me about my friend's son Josh.

What a GREAT STORY, it's amazing how kids turn out (I know I have a wonderful 16 year old Son myself) when they have the biggest supporters steering them in the right direction.... :happy feet: :happy feet:

Congratulations Uncle Bob..... :salute:

Bob, great story. As an Eagle scout myself I know how important my mentors were. Back then we didn't have a way of recognizing them. The BSA now has a great program that make it very special for the Eagle to recognize those who are most important to them by their definition. Congratulations. This is a great honor.

Eagle Scout

Class 1966

Archived