TEAM SHELBY FORUM

That S/C whine...

So unlike a lot of guys I meet who own late model cars, I like, no I love the s/c whine.

Now I know some of it on the old school cars comes from the cogged belt...(or a gear drive to add to it, like my current build)

But as we have two SAI offerings for the SGT...which s/c whines the most KB or Whipple? I like it loud.

Thanks in advance...

If you are speaking to the whine you hear while driving the car, the KB has a very satisfying whine. If you are outside the car and listening as the car goes by, the KB is virtually silent while the Whipple is quite pronounced. I have not been in a Whipple car that was taken to boost while I was inside so I will defer to those who have them on that point.

Jim

Shelby/Paxton - more whistle than whine. Just a blip on the throttle and the whistle comes down a sec or two after revs. Very cool sound all the way up the revs. Left the SGT exhaust stock for this reason.

BTW - My wife thinks my car belts need wax or something on them because my car is noisy and she can hear the engine squeal coming in the garage. She does not know about my special one week 'tune-up' ahem that added 162hp!

post-20776-1235743795_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1235743795_thumb.jpg

I suppose i'm qualified to comment on the Whipple now.... albeit the smaller 400HP kit. At idle you'd never know it was there. Pretty much anything under "normal" driving conditions and i'd say under 5000rpm's it's still silent. I really like it that way. It's not until you lay into her that she starts whining (like said wife), but by that time most of the fun is already in progress and who cares anyway! :)

Shelby/Paxton - more whistle than whine. Just a blip on the throttle and the whistle comes down a sec or two after revs. Very cool sound all the way up the revs. Left the SGT exhaust stock for this reason.

BTW - My wife thinks my car belts need wax or something on them because my car is noisy and she can hear the engine squeal coming in the garage. She does not know about my special one week 'tune-up' ahem that added 162hp!

LOL!!! I told my wife they were just fixing something simple for me.......that took a week. It's the truth though, it was slow(er), it's fixed now! :)

You guys telling your wifes about the "special" tune. Thats really funny...

Thanks I will google some dyno pulls and I can tell you that when I had done this in the past they all had some sound. Maybe I just need to go to a Mustang Club meeting here and see if I can bum some rides.... :hysterical:

I guess in the end they both make more HP.

edit: I meant the same sound over my computer speakers on youtube.

If you want whine, buy a Pro charger, whines at idle then gets worse. I don't like whine and that is why I kept the SAI KB and sold the Whipple. It is there but not loud enough to hear above the engine. The exhaust note is more pronounced. My wife ask if I had changed the exhaust. (I got the car for her) "No, all I had done was the addition of the Shelby gauge pod to better know what is going on with the engine," I replied. "Yes that is a wide band Air/Fuel gauge, and of course you need to know about VACUUM/boost, and that one is for oil pressure." "What does that SGT/SC mean?" It is a SHELBY gauge mod,..."Oh". No more questions. I know she knows...

post-13173-1236006781_thumb.jpg

post-13173-1236006781_thumb.jpg

I love the s/c whine.

Gentlemen,

I have not driven a Mustang with the Kenny Bell supercharger but those who have tell me it is noticeably quieter than the Whipple, perhaps because the case is thicker. I have driven both the Paxton and a 500 hp Whipple supercharger which is installed on my Shelby GT. My 500 hp Whipple whines a bit louder and in a deeper more guttural way than the Paxton. From inside the car the the Whipple sounds like big horsepower, and it is. But the sound of the Whipple is still nothing in comparison to the whine that emanates from the driver of a BMW M-6 after you humiliate his carbon fiber shod $115,000.00, 500+ horsepower, 10 cylinder, German built wonder car. The BMW whine is enhanced when you feign ignorance and tell it's driver you are surprised that his BMW 5-Series with it's straight six was able to stay as close as it did!

Chip

Gentlemen,

I have not driven a Mustang with the Kenny Bell supercharger but those who have tell me it is noticeably quieter than the Whipple, perhaps because the case is thicker. I have driven both the Paxton and a 500 hp Whipple supercharger which is installed on my Shelby GT. My 500 hp Whipple whines a bit louder and in a deeper more guttural way than the Paxton. From inside the car the the Whipple sounds like big horsepower, and it is. But the sound of the Whipple is still nothing in comparison to the whine that emanates from the driver of a BMW M-6 after you humiliate his carbon fiber shod $115,000.00, 500+ horsepower, 10 cylinder, German built wonder car. The BMW whine is enhanced when you feign ignorance and tell it's driver you are surprised that his BMW 5-Series with it's straight six was able to stay as close as it did!

Chip

Nice one Chip, I would have loved to seen his face.

OK I am done wondering what to get...550 Polished Whipple it is. I want to polish the crossover and the valve covers as well...Thanks for all of your replies guys....I appreciate it!

I even told my wife the truth... :hysterical:

Hardluck33 has the first Whipple supercharged S197 I've heard. After listening to it on the dyno at Tasca, I would say that it's a bit quieter than my KB at WOT (supercharger whine - exhaust was about the same). I'm not trying to sway anyone's decision, I'm just reporting my observation.

Here's a shot under the hood. You can listen for yourselves for the whine. I reved up to about 3500/4000RPM's....

SWEET...simply Awesome!!

I think I may have to get your same S/C on my car....just enough extra - I don't need the 500HP version.

Whipple 550 on the Dyno---listen for yourself. I have only ever heard a KB Monster on a buddy's car and his exhaust was awesome too so I can't compare our cars.

I drove mine about 25 miles yesterday and I start hearing the Whipple about 2000 RPM from the inside with the windows closed.

Whipple 550 on the Dyno---listen for yourself. I have only ever heard a KB Monster on a buddy's car and his exhaust was awesome too so I can't compare our cars.

I drove mine about 25 miles yesterday and I start hearing the Whipple about 2000 RPM from the inside with the windows closed.

Thanks for posting Hardluck... the window up scenario sounds great!!

Archived