TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT Conv meets Ferrari 355 F1 Spider

AndyGJ

OK - picture this.

This morning I checked the weather report on the Weather Channel Desktop, and it shows that the rain is gone, the clouds will linger until about noon, but the temperature should get into the mid 60's here in Atlanta. That's all I need to know to leave the Explorer in the driveway and pull out the SGT for some top down driving on my way home from work. My commute is about 15 miles one way and its opposite all the traffic flow, so I can really enjoy the drive.

I had to dodge a few puddles and stay back from the cars in front on the way to the office so as to not get sprayed from the tires of the cars in front of me, but arrived at the office looking as if I had just hand washed the nice Vista Blue paint (for those still wondering, that is the fastest color -- still).

After suffering through a hard day at work, a smile finally came across my face as I head out the door at 5:30 knowing what's in store for the next 20 to 25 minutes in the SGT. I start off out of the office parking lot and my commute takes me on a long stretch of road on the North side of Atlanta - 4 lanes with a grass median with traffic medium in my direction but real heavy going the other way. I've been going for about 2 miles in the Left lane cruising at 55 or so in between stop lights when I notice a red European sports car of some sort with the top down closing fast in the Right lane. He quickly catches up to me and I immediately notice its some sort of Ferrari before he pulls up next to me.

The traffic in my lane stops and he stops next to me with 30 feet of clear pavement ahead of him just so he can talk to me. I look over and he shouts out "What's with all these awesome cars out and about today?"

I replied back "Awesome weather for February in Atlanta, isn't it?"

He follows with "That's one awesome looking car. I like it....I like it a lot. Take good care of her!!"

I returned "You've got a fabulous car yourself - nice one!"

He salutes with a quick wave, and then jumps back up the road. I turned in behind him in the right lane, but he's thinking that I want to push him a little in rush hour traffic. I know better, and quickly wave him off as I know he has about 80 to 100 HP more and 600 lbs less weight. Its not ever worth it to try and keep up with him in 6:00 rush hour traffic in any city, but that complement from him pushed that smile on my face from ear to ear the rest of the way home.

One thing I did notice though, as he sped off it sounded like he had a motorcycle engine in the car. I was first up at the next light and as it changed to green with a nice long clear straight-away ahead of me, I took off hard until I was up to just under ticket speed...now thats how a motor should sound!!!!!

As I walked in the house and closed the garage door, I grinned and thought that car is worth every penny!! :dance:

Andy.

The 355 is about 3200 lbs and 380hp. A high rpm V-8 is in the middle of the car. A s/c'd SGT would spank it hard even in the twisties IMHO. A skilled driver in a n/a SGT and a novice in a 355 would be interesting. Most of the people who own the 355's can't drive them as they are not an easy car to drive fast...and per mile of ownership they get expensive, so gaining experience is not cheap.

The V-12's sound like 4 superbike engines and then some, amazing. The V-8's sound pretty cool to me as well.

I had an extremley well respected Ferrari mechanic compliment my SGT as well, and I would take mine over a 355 anyday even if the price was the same.

Now I would like a 430 and my SGT in the same garage...haha

Great story thanks for sharing!! :dance:

Great story,

I wish I can drive my car regularly to experience things like that

Thanks. That's the great part of Winter in Atlanta. Just last week it was bitter cold in the mid 20s at night and high of around 40 for several days. Blink a few times and all of a sudden you have sunny & mid 60s for a day -- just the perfect combination for a ride with the top down. Since the Shelby is not a Daily Driver, I can drive it just on the nice days to keep it off the roads when all the crazy drivers who don't understand that wet roads mean slick roads are out there bumping into other cars.

I've owned the SGT as of 1 year on Feb 7th, and last night it was showing 4,260 on the odometer. I figure at this rate, Good Lord willing, I still have it in 15 to 20 years with under 100k miles...still should be running fine with proper care. Unless, of course, I get another one as a spare....or maybe one for the wife...what do you think, would a Shelby make a good 40th Birthday Present for your wife?!!!?? :finger:

Obviously, I know better than that!!

Andy.

My wife bought me a ticket to The Gotham Dream Car Tour for a wedding present.

As a result I was put on their email list.

Last summer to celebrate their acquisition of a brand new Saleen S7,

they sent me an email inviting to me join them for a spirited drive to the twisty

roads around Bear Mtn early one Sunday morning.

I brought my Shelby.

When I arrived at their garage, many Lambos (12), numerous Ferraris (6) and a host of other

exotic cars were gathered for the pre-run breakfast.

No one paid much mind to me and my little ol Ford.

One guy in a Ferrari 360 came right over and started up a conversation, but most others

didnt give me the time of day.

When we got out on the road, it was like a jailbreak, you would have thought someone said:

"whomever gets there first gets a date with Pamela Anderson and a million dollars"

6000, 7000, 8000 rpms were a symphony of playing in every direction around me.

About 5 miles later when I had to slow down to let the rest catch up I had a smile on my face

so big it left me face hurting afterwards.

At the gas station pit stop near Bear Mtn, everyone was around my car asking questions and

praising the looks, sounds and performance of my little ol Ford.

Looks like history does repeat itself.

Thanks Dale.

Thanks Carroll.

they sent me an email inviting to me join them for a spirited drive to the twisty

I brought my Shelby.

When I arrived at their garage, many Lambos (12), numerous Ferraris (6) and a host of other

One guy in a Ferrari 360 came right over and started up a conversation, but most others

When we got out on the road, it was like a jailbreak, you would have thought someone said:

"whomever gets there first gets a date with Pamela Anderson and a million dollars"

About 5 miles later when I had to slow down to let the rest catch up I had a smile on my face

At the gas station pit stop near Bear Mtn, everyone was around my car asking questions and

Thanks Dale.

Thanks Carroll.

:hysterical: Thats what I was thinking would happen...great story.

Mccoy says "Now I would like a 430 and my SGT in the same garage...haha"

I happen to love cars in general and Ferrari is one of my favorites. I think one day I will own one with about 3-5K miles on the entire car with factory warranty still on it. I agree though a sgt/sc would walk all over that car, at least in a drag race, don't know about the twisties but it would be nice to try it!

Swede says "I'd love a Shelby GT/SC and a 360 Modena spider in my garage would be heaven!"

I would have liked to see how we stacked up against each other...I'm a decent driver with the 5 speed and he looked like he knew how to make that F355 run. :shift:

I've been toying with the idea of the FRPP 400hp S/C kit...maybe next year. If I do add the kit and ever see this guy again, I'll let you know just how bad I dust him...but not in 5:30-6:00 Atlanta rush hour traffic. That would be a death wish...with or without a S/C.

Call me crazy, but if I had extra money and extra space in my garage for another toy car, I think I would like to have a matching GT500 Coupe sitting right next to my SGT Conv (after I add the S/C to the SGT). Now that would be the ultimate to me!!! :happy feet:

Andy.

Thanks. That's the great part of Winter in Atlanta. Just last week it was bitter cold in the mid 20s at night and high of around 40 for several days. Blink a few times and all of a sudden you have sunny & mid 60s for a day -- just the perfect combination for a ride with the top down. Since the Shelby is not a Daily Driver, I can drive it just on the nice days to keep it off the roads when all the crazy drivers who don't understand that wet roads mean slick roads are out there bumping into other cars.

I've owned the SGT as of 1 year on Feb 7th, and last night it was showing 4,260 on the odometer. I figure at this rate, Good Lord willing, I still have it in 15 to 20 years with under 100k miles...still should be running fine with proper care. Unless, of course, I get another one as a spare....or maybe one for the wife...what do you think, would a Shelby make a good 40th Birthday Present for your wife?!!!?? :finger:

Obviously, I know better than that!!

Andy.

OMG, if winters were that nice here I wouldn't even bother wrapping my SGT up in a blanky in the car hold.

It's been weeks since the daytime temp even approached a high of 20.

I brought my Shelby.

Thanks Dale.

Thanks Carroll.

Awesome!

I happen to love cars in general and Ferrari is one of my favorites. I think one day I will own one with about 3-5K miles on the entire car with factory warranty still on it. I agree though a sgt/sc would walk all over that car, at least in a drag race, don't know about the twisties but it would be nice to try it!

Swede says "I'd love a Shelby GT/SC and a 360 Modena spider in my garage would be heaven!"

Swede pm me if you ever get to Seattle, for the price of a few beers I can hook you up with a very experienced Ferrari wrench who is one of my best friends...he can give you the lowdown on all of them from a interesting perspective and from driving almost all of them. He has told me in the past to buy a 911 if I need a foreign sports car...seriously. They are very picky cars to own. Warranty or not.

But they do look cool...

edit wrong pic...

post-9886-1236239599_thumb.jpg

post-9886-1236239636_thumb.jpg

post-9886-1236239427_thumb.jpg

post-9886-1236239427_thumb.jpg

post-9886-1236239599_thumb.jpg

post-9886-1236239636_thumb.jpg

Very cool pics!!

Note to self...Don't buy the Ferrari - go for the Porsche. That's good to know especially from a mechanic that works on them. I always thought that if I ever owned a foreign sports car that it would either be something like a used BMW M3 or a Porsche 911 just because there are a ton of specialty mechanics in my area to work on those. I've never seen any place other than a dealership that can work on the Ferrari brand in Atlanta.

I think all Swedeman needs is that supercharger from SAI!!! :superhero:

Andy.

Very cool pics!!

Note to self...Don't buy the Ferrari - go for the Porsche. That's good to know especially from a mechanic that works on them. I always thought that if I ever owned a foreign sports car that it would either be something like a used BMW M3 or a Porsche 911 just because there are a ton of specialty mechanics in my area to work on those. I've never seen any place other than a dealership that can work on the Ferrari brand in Atlanta.

I think all Swedeman needs is that supercharger from SAI!!! :superhero:

Andy.

My friend says the 911's are bulletproof as long as you actually drive them...

I agree about the Swedeman a SGT is still cooler to me though. We almost bought a 911 once for my wife...I however, like my SGT.

And if Swede does not s/c his car I think I am going to make fun of him after I get mine done... :hysterical:

My friend says the 911's are bulletproof as long as you actually drive them...

I agree about the Swedeman a SGT is still cooler to me though. We almost bought a 911 once for my wife...I however, like my SGT.

And if Swede does not s/c his car I think I am going to make fun of him after I get mine done... :hysterical:

My brother in-law has a '99 C4 with 90k+ miles and car runs like a top, no issues, but not a cool as the SG-T, IMO

I've got my dream. A Shelby GT/SC and a Shelby Cobra 427/SC.

The snake is slithering around Longmont today again as them temps approach 70.

However, I have to agree that this is sweet:

DSC_0350.jpg

I brought my Shelby.

Thanks Dale.

Thanks Carroll.

That is a great story! While I was living in the UK I was lucky enough to get to drive several exotics a few times, and my best friend was a complete petrol head (American translation = car nut).

With the exotics crowd the ones I met seemed to range, some were just car guys that were lucky enough to be able to afford a pretty cool toy and appreciated all kinds of cool cars from mustangs to bugattis.(my friend Tim falls into this category) A fair number of others unfortunately were just tools with more money than they knew what to do with and a big attitude to match. The worst part is a lot of the ones in that category never truly appreciate the car they have, and many of them change their cars like we change socks. A lot of ferraris aren't owned longer than 6-18 months and then they switch it out for something else.

If I had an unlimited budget I would have a Ford GT to park next to my Shelby as what I always liked about them is its an American car that can hang with the best that Ferrari and Lambo put on the road. Ok and I have a bit of a soft spot for their history/lineage from racing in the 60's as well...

Either way do you do the bear Mountain car shows on Wednesday nights? When I get my car back from Tasca in a month or so I would like to check a few of them out. Maybe we can meet up?

That is a great story! While I was living in the UK I was lucky enough to get to drive several exotics a few times, and my best friend was a complete petrol head (American translation = car nut).

With the exotics crowd the ones I met seemed to range, some were just car guys that were lucky enough to be able to afford a pretty cool toy and appreciated all kinds of cool cars from mustangs to bugattis.(my friend Tim falls into this category) A fair number of others unfortunately were just tools with more money than they knew what to do with and a big attitude to match. The worst part is a lot of the ones in that category never truly appreciate the car they have, and many of them change their cars like we change socks. A lot of ferraris aren't owned longer than 6-18 months and then they switch it out for something else.

If I had an unlimited budget I would have a Ford GT to park next to my Shelby as what I always liked about them is its an American car that can hang with the best that Ferrari and Lambo put on the road. Ok and I have a bit of a soft spot for their history/lineage from racing in the 60's as well...

Either way do you do the bear Mountain car shows on Wednesday nights? When I get my car back from Tasca in a month or so I would like to check a few of them out. Maybe we can meet up?

This is a bit goofy but I just realized after looking at my signature that one year ago today I picked up my new 08 GT500. Time flies!!! I spent a lot of time thinking planning and daydreaming about that car. :shift:

One year on I still wouldn't trade it for a ferrari or a lambo!

:happy feet:

This is a bit goofy but I just realized after looking at my signature that one year ago today I picked up my new 08 GT500. Time flies!!! I spent a lot of time thinking planning and daydreaming about that car. :shift:

One year on I still wouldn't trade it for a ferrari or a lambo!

:happy feet:

Congrats on one year.

Id love to meet up for the Wednesday night Bear Mtn show,

thats one of the few I never got to (so far).

I heard its awesome.

Lets make a point of doing this.

Congrats on one year.

Id love to meet up for the Wednesday night Bear Mtn show,

thats one of the few I never got to (so far).

I heard its awesome.

Lets make a point of doing this.

R u guys talkin bear mtn NY? If so please let me know and ill try and make it. IM about 2 hrs north but id show for a few hours!!

R u guys talkin bear mtn NY? If so please let me know and ill try and make it. IM about 2 hrs north but id show for a few hours!!

Yep that's what we were talking about. As I said I am waiting to get my car back from tasca hopefully the end of the month or so but after checking the web site someone gave me ages ago :

http://www.popyourhood.com/Wednesday08.html

I figured that we have some time as it doesn't start until Wednesday May 6th but it looks like a lot of fun. I have never done it yet.

That's a nice compliment coming from a Ferrari owner. Great story. I had a late model Corvette (c-6 type) coupe blast around me today. I was just cruising around with the top down and s\he just had to blow by me. I just waved and smiled. Shelby GT attracting others like I want to race.... :)

How about this one for a laugh...

I don't know what it is about the road that I travel on the way home, but Friday evening I was heading home again with the top down and 72 degree weather - awesome evening for early March in Atlanta. I'm on the same road that I saw the Ferrari driver on only a few days earlier, when someone comes racing up behind me in a BMW X5 with the 4.8L V8. He finally jumps around me and starts zig-zagging through traffic. At every stop light he's gunning hard like he is trying to prove something, jumping way out infront of the other cars until he catches up to slower moving traffic. I know its an SUV, but keep in mind its got a solid 350 HP and 350 tqe.

Since I know the traffic patterns on this road extremely well, I eventually catch up to him without any attempt to. Nonetheless, he is in the far right lane that feeds on to the highway entrance ramp for Hwy 400 south. He gets caught up in some right turning traffic going onto side streets about 2 miles before Hwy 400 which offers me an opportunity to gently merge over so that I can already be set in the lane that becomes the highway entrance lane. I accomplished all this without even as much as a peep from the real horses that lay underneath the hood.

Now comes the fun part.

He must not have liked the fact that I was in front of him again, because now he thinks it is appropriate to ride my bumper with a space of about 2 or 3 feet between us at about 45 mph. Now I'm paying real close attention to his driving because the last thing I want him to do is to mess up my perfectly good paint job. We begin to close in on the entrance ramp and I've had about all I can stand of his riding my bumper. Usually I take the sharp curve in third gear to gently excellerate to highway speed down the entrance ramp and onto Hwy 400, but this time I keep it in 2nd as I enter the turn - yes, he is still about 3 feet behind me and I'm doing about 30 at this point....

This is when I drop the hammer....and hard. I quickly run through 3rd, then 4th watching the tach spring to life, and back off as I hit 5th and just fall into normal cruising speed at about 70 mph with the rest of the traffic. :shift: My lane feeds me into a dedicated right lane on the highway, so I don't have to merge or adjust my speed down for slow moving traffic. The BMW is no where is site....and I mean NO WHERE!!!

I continue driving for about 2 or 3 miles as I approach my exit ramp. Now I finally see that same BMW approaching me in the lane next to me. It took him the full 3 miles to catch up to me. I look over at him as he gently matches my speed. He barely looks my direction, does a simple military style salute to me, and then falls back in the next lane as I exit the hwy.

I laughed all the way home!!! His Ultimate Driving Machine met a match he didn't expect!!!

Andy.

I gotta save up some bucks ta get up to Tasca n get some work done....S/C n Brakes...new hood or new hood scoop and get the stripes painted on before I'd go to Bear Mt.

ohhh well...one a these days

:)

Is Bear Mountain that big a deal? I have never been but I thought it would be a bix mix of different kinds and levels of cars?

How about this one for a laugh...

I don't know what it is about the road that I travel on the way home, but Friday evening I was heading home again with the top down and 72 degree weather - awesome evening for early March in Atlanta. I'm on the same road that I saw the Ferrari driver on only a few days earlier, when someone comes racing up behind me in a BMW X5 with the 4.8L V8. He finally jumps around me and starts zig-zagging through traffic. At every stop light he's gunning hard like he is trying to prove something, jumping way out infront of the other cars until he catches up to slower moving traffic. I know its an SUV, but keep in mind its got a solid 350 HP and 350 tqe.

Since I know the traffic patterns on this road extremely well, I eventually catch up to him without any attempt to. Nonetheless, he is in the far right lane that feeds on to the highway entrance ramp for Hwy 400 south. He gets caught up in some right turning traffic going onto side streets about 2 miles before Hwy 400 which offers me an opportunity to gently merge over so that I can already be set in the lane that becomes the highway entrance lane. I accomplished all this without even as much as a peep from the real horses that lay underneath the hood.

Now comes the fun part.

He must not have liked the fact that I was in front of him again, because now he thinks it is appropriate to ride my bumper with a space of about 2 or 3 feet between us at about 45 mph. Now I'm paying real close attention to his driving because the last thing I want him to do is to mess up my perfectly good paint job. We begin to close in on the entrance ramp and I've had about all I can stand of his riding my bumper. Usually I take the sharp curve in third gear to gently excellerate to highway speed down the entrance ramp and onto Hwy 400, but this time I keep it in 2nd as I enter the turn - yes, he is still about 3 feet behind me and I'm doing about 30 at this point....

This is when I drop the hammer....and hard. I quickly run through 3rd, then 4th watching the tach spring to life, and back off as I hit 5th and just fall into normal cruising speed at about 70 mph with the rest of the traffic. :shift: My lane feeds me into a dedicated right lane on the highway, so I don't have to merge or adjust my speed down for slow moving traffic. The BMW is no where is site....and I mean NO WHERE!!!

I continue driving for about 2 or 3 miles as I approach my exit ramp. Now I finally see that same BMW approaching me in the lane next to me. It took him the full 3 miles to catch up to me. I look over at him as he gently matches my speed. He barely looks my direction, does a simple military style salute to me, and then falls back in the next lane as I exit the hwy.

I laughed all the way home!!! His Ultimate Driving Machine met a match he didn't expect!!!

Andy.

5th gear? We have one :doh: ,who knew :hysterical: . Nice story.

5th gear? We have one :doh: ,who knew :hysterical: . Nice story.

I guess he might have been using his "quick shift" joystick style shifter to try and keep up...I just showed him what a REAL shift pattern is like!! :shift:

Archived