TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Wheels and pressure monitors on 07s

moabman

I wanted to put the Ford Racing F500 wheels on my 07 GT vert and was told by the tire salesman that the 07's have a tire pressure sensor and transmitter. The local Ford dealer said they are held on the wheels by a band. Anyone know anything about this? Can I take them off and put them on the F500's?

Thanks!

I wanted to put the Ford Racing F500 wheels on my 07 GT vert and was told by the tire salesman that the 07's have a tire pressure sensor and transmitter. The local Ford dealer said they are held on the wheels by a band. Anyone know anything about this? Can I take them off and put them on the F500's?

Thanks!

Yes, the sensors are in a cradle, and held on the wheel with a metal band. This band is put on at the factory with a banding machine. The cradle is also held in place with double sided tape, and the band goes through the cradle. The bands on my wheels could NOT be removed and reused. Yes, you can buy all new stuff from Ford, but it is very pricey and then you have to take the car to the dealer to have the sensors calibrated. Even if you could re-attach the bands, all wheels are not created equal. If the diameter of your new wheel, where the band goes, is any larger at all, the bands are going to be too small/short. I have never seen the type bands that Five Oh B is talking about, so I can't comment about them.

The least expensive way to transfer your tire pressure sensors would be to have Discount Tire get you new cradles and bands. They charged me about $44 for the cradles and bands, all four! If you transfer your sensors over, you don't have to recalibrate them either.

post-5894-1162946758_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the information. This site is a great resource and is making the time go by a little faster while I wait on my new Mustang.

So the tire stores can add the sensors? Do they have to be calibrated by Ford? Sounds like it would make balancing the wheels fun!

Thanks for the information. This site is a great resource and is making the time go by a little faster while I wait on my new Mustang.

So the tire stores can add the sensors? Do they have to be calibrated by Ford? Sounds like it would make balancing the wheels fun!

I didn't mean that the tire store,,,,,,"Discount Tire", could add the sensors. They can be transferred. Like I mentioned earlier, they don't have to be calibrated if all you're doing is transferring them from one wheel to the other, but keeping them on the same car. They are small, and balancing doesn't seem to be a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Or you could do like I am and just not put them on. All that will happen is the light on the dash will show low tire pressure. I've gone with out a tire pressure monitor all my life and can't justify spending the $300.00 which I could use for speed parts, just have your pressure checked each time you change your oil like I do.

Archived