TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I've lost that loving feeling.................

I try not to voice my complaints on here but this is starting to drive me crazy, litterly. I swapped out my stock satins for a set of 18" CS 66's. I used the stock rubber and I love the wheels. Now for the problem.....the "speciality" shop that did the swap charged $200 for the set and when I left I drove at 45mph until I got to the interstate. Then at 60 it started...frontend pulling left/right and could feel it pretty bad in the steering wheel. When you let go of the s/w it sits there and wobbles left/right 3/4 of inch. So I called and made another trip back the following weekend. He took them all off and check and readjusted weights on one wheel. Left again and it was better but still there. Took it back, checked again made some adjustments....same thing. I figured it was him so I told him to forget it. Couple weeks later I took it to another dealer, removed and stripped all the weights and rebalanced, better but still there. Took it back and they worked on for the fifth time and yes it is still there. The car rode like it was on rails prior to this so I guess I should of left it alone. Personally, I can't stand to drive a car that has this problem. I am seriously considering swapping them back out and selling the CS66's. You would think someone would be able to balance these tires/wheels. I won't get that loving feeling back until they are right! Has anyone else experienced this type problem? Just sign me Unbalanced in SC! :banghead:

Have them check to make sure your TPMS sensors are attached properly..I had this problem with one of my cars where the sensor was moving around the band causing the same issue...

+3 that would have been my first guess and second would be the hub centric comment. Make sure they're mounted correctly, meaning that if you're not using hub rings that you need to make sure the lugs are bedding into the hole centered tighten in a star pattern and hand torque to 100ftlbs. I'll put $5 on your TPMS being loose in there... unless of course you didn't put in TPMS'...

Do the wheels center properly on the hubs? Some aftermarket wheels require a hub centric ring to center them properly.

I had a wobbling issue with my Razor American Racing wheels who I believe also makes the CS66's. The tire shop sent me hub spacer and issue resolved.

also make sure the lock washers have been removed from the rotors those cause the wheels to kinda wobble and are usually smashed down from aftermarket wheels if not removed before hand

+1 on that one too... those need to be removed. Each hub has a pinch washer on one of the lugs. I seriously doubt this is a wheel issue. You've got at least 3 things that need to be checked.

thanks for all the help. We did check the hub centric issue so I am pretty sure that's not it. TPMS were installed but I didn't think that one loose could cause this, used FORD bands to reinstall. I would like to get more info on the "spacer". May give Keith at SPP a call Monday too. Thanks again. Craig

'08 SGT

I bought a set of "19 American Racing GT5 single block forged aluminum wheels 8.5X19 and 10.0X19.

I had Tire Rack mount Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus Ultra high performance all season tires.

They ran out all the wheels to assure they were round before even mounting the tires.

Tire rack uses Hunter Road Force balancing machines to balance the wheel/tire. It is the best system, as it places 1400psi force on the tire while the computer diagnoses for balancing. This mimics the tire actually being on the car under "road force". An improperly mounted tire will play havoc with the wheel balance. I'd try to find a company in your area that utilizes the HUNTER machine.

The SGT runs like it is on rails. The tire/wheel combination looks great as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, thought I would update everyone....Say what you will about dealerships, (and I have too), but I took it to the local Ford dealer this morning and after much dicussion, they agreed to do it without any gaurentees. Had them rebalanced. Left and took it straight to the Interstate and of course you know what I did once there. Let's just say,

I've got that loving feeling back! Ride is now perfect thanks to Tim at Ben Satcher Ford!!![/size]

Craig

Great to hear you got that issue resolved. It can be so frustrating when you have those tire / wheel balance issues that just can't be diagnosed!

Crag,

glad to hear you got things fixed. Ill be putting on my CS66 wheels this spring. I'll be in SC in May to see my daughter graduate from Upstate. Maybe we can get together for dinner.

Dave

Crag,

glad to hear you got things fixed. Ill be putting on my CS66 wheels this spring. I'll be in SC in May to see my daughter graduate from Upstate. Maybe we can get together for dinner.

Dave

does make a huge difference. Dave, just let me know as we have graduation in May too but we will be in NY for ours. Hopefully it will work out to get together. Take care Craig (ps- now you will have more $$ to spend on mods! LOL)

Archived