TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sequentials quit working??

I have had sequentials for a year. I recently notice that only the left side sequenced. On the right side, only the inner most light blinked. I tried moving bulbs around on that side and they all seemed to work but only in the inner most position.

I figured the harness was bad so I bought another set from another manufacturer and guess what? The same thing only it's the left side that doesn't work and the right side does?????????????

I then put in the original OEM harness and it works just like from the factory.

Any ideas what going on????

The only thing new in this time frame is a 93 octane tune from Brenspeed.

If I read your post right all bulbs work fine with the factory harness so that rules out the actual bulbs. But to be safe are all the bulbs the original OEM bulbs? By that I mean you haven't replaced any bulbs with new ones or LED ones correct?

If that's correct then it narrows it down to the sequential harness. Is there someone nearby with a Mustang that you can try the sequential harness on their car and see if the same thing happens?

Steve

If I read your post right all bulbs work fine with the factory harness so that rules out the actual bulbs. But to be safe are all the bulbs the original OEM bulbs? By that I mean you haven't replaced any bulbs with new ones or LED ones correct?

If that's correct then it narrows it down to the sequential harness. Is there someone nearby with a Mustang that you can try the sequential harness on their car and see if the same thing happens?

Steve

He bought a second harness and it had the same problem,

doubtful both would have the same failure.....

unless a short zapped out the same side on each harness

as it was connected.

I would test the harness to make sure power is getting to the ends and

recheck the ground.

He bought a second harness and it had the same problem,

doubtful both would have the same failure.....

unless a short zapped out the same side on each harness

as it was connected.

I would test the harness to make sure power is getting to the ends and

recheck the ground.

I called CDC (makers of the first sequential harness) and they are puzzled. My guess it is a connector problem and I need to find the loose pin.

Right now I have the OEM harness installed and all the bulbs work. I'm going to reinstall the newest sequential harness pair and try to see if I can determine the fault again.

The directionals on these cars are actually controlled by the computer (not outbound as in prior cars) so the aftermarket sequentials actually have to fake it out, as I understand it, so the computer thinks it's seeing the right resistance (three bulbs) but then sequences the other two itself on each blink cycle that the computer initiates. This prolly explains why inner one lights (first in the sequence) when the problem occurs, but I'm stumped on why it's doing it with two separate harnesses unless the sequencing logic is separate from the harness. If so, that's where the problem most likely is, imo. If it's part of the harness, then it would seem there must be a ground or connector problem that's preventing the sequencer logic from activating the other two. :shrug:

The directionals on these cars are actually controlled by the computer (not outbound as in prior cars) so the aftermarket sequentials actually have to fake it out, as I understand it, so the computer thinks it's seeing the right resistance (three bulbs) but then sequences the other two itself on each blink cycle that the computer initiates. This prolly explains why inner one lights (first in the sequence) when the problem occurs, but I'm stumped on why it's doing it with two separate harnesses unless the sequencing logic is separate from the harness. If so, that's where the problem most likely is, imo. If it's part of the harness, then it would seem there must be a ground or connector problem that's preventing the sequencer logic from activating the other two. :shrug:

OK,

My body shop has recently repainted my bumber and had to take it off and also the tail lights. Where could they have messed up reinstalling it all? Keep in mind the OEM harness works fine. Where is the ground connection?

OK,

My body shop has recently repainted my bumber and had to take it off and also the tail lights. Where could they have messed up reinstalling it all? Keep in mind the OEM harness works fine. Where is the ground connection?

Dunno, but it prolly isn't the stock ground (since that all works). Did you install the sequentials or someone else? If you still have the install instructions tracing all the connections and maybe even 'playing' with each of them while the directional is on might locate the problem.

[bluehawk,

now i'm really thinking it must be the ground,since you had some bumperwork done recently. buddy of mine had a bumper replaced on his accord and the entire dash panel would light up like a christmas tree. drove them crazy till someone realized the body shop forgot to reconnect the ground back at the bumper!!!! hope this helps.let us know the fix .hate those demons!!!

Since the original harness works fine I would not suspect a ground issue, that is unless the new harness uses a totally different ground.

He said he swapped the harness with the other side of the car and worked fine, not the Harness.. I would suspect like another member posted to look at the ECU and the way it senses the resistance or actually the power supplied to the lights themselves,,,but not the ground. If you have a Shaker 1000 there is alot going on back there, all it takes is for one wire to be pinched.

I had an electrical issue with my Land cruiser, thought iwas the ground, dash lights worked great until the rpm exceeded 1000 and the alternator kicked in,,the lights then went away.. Power wire was pinched..

Had a simliar issue with the tail lights acting wierd, brakes good, blinkers good, turn on the headlights and a turn signal turned into hazards! again a power wire had been speared up on the frame from a previous mechanic..

Rewired,,,all is fine :-)

GNB

[bluehawk,

now i'm really thinking it must be the ground,since you had some bumperwork done recently. buddy of mine had a bumper replaced on his accord and the entire dash panel would light up like a christmas tree. drove them crazy till someone realized the body shop forgot to reconnect the ground back at the bumper!!!! hope this helps.let us know the fix .hate those demons!!!

Went home last night and worked on it. I put the first sequential harness set in and one side worked fine and the other just had the inner bulb blink. I switched the harnesses and the problem followed the harness. I switch the bulbs and the problem stayed with the harness. I then put the new set of sequentials in and one side was fine and the other had just the inner blulb blinking. I also switched the harness and the bulbs and the problem stays with the harness.

Two bad harnesses out of two sets. Seems like too much of a coincidence but that's what it looks like. It looks like all the connections in the car are correct and the grounds are tight.

Get this, the second set was bought from Blue Oval Industries, which appears to be bad right out of the box, they won't take it back or replace it because it is and electrical item.

I'm going to leave my OEM tail lights in (which work BTW). I'm not spending anymore money on something I can't even enjoy (can't see the tail lights when you're driving).

I had trouble with the first set of sequentials not long after I installed them, but all I had to do was unplug the bulbs and reseat them and it appeared to fix them.

All in all, they appear to be too unreliable. Here I am thinking how cool I must look from behind when the things aren't even working. Must be bad karma.

:headscratch:

Hmmm, I've never had a problem with the CDC's that I put on. If indeed it's two bad sets, that would be rare! I haven't looked, but is there a left/right blinker relay in the fuse box under the hood?

Sam

AKA:

You might try to disconnect the positive and negative terminals of the battery then touch the 2 together, wait about a minute and reconnect.

Possible module residual... :headscratch:

Leroy

Went home last night and worked on it. I put the first sequential harness set in and one side worked fine and the other just had the inner bulb blink. I switched the harnesses and the problem followed the harness. I switch the bulbs and the problem stayed with the harness. I then put the new set of sequentials in and one side was fine and the other had just the inner blulb blinking. I also switched the harness and the bulbs and the problem stays with the harness.

Two bad harnesses out of two sets. Seems like too much of a coincidence but that's what it looks like. It looks like all the connections in the car are correct and the grounds are tight.

Get this, the second set was bought from Blue Oval Industries, which appears to be bad right out of the box, they won't take it back or replace it because it is and electrical item.

I'm going to leave my OEM tail lights in (which work BTW). I'm not spending anymore money on something I can't even enjoy (can't see the tail lights when you're driving).

I had trouble with the first set of sequentials not long after I installed them, but all I had to do was unplug the bulbs and reseat them and it appeared to fix them.

All in all, they appear to be too unreliable. Here I am thinking how cool I must look from behind when the things aren't even working. Must be bad karma.

Well, it just so happens I live about 35 miles from Blue Oval Industries. They offered to look at the harnesses and give me a new one and install if I bring it to to them. So I went there this afternoon, and indeed, it turned out to be a bad harness. So they gave me a new one and we installed the lights and they work!

So, I guess it is a plus for me to buy from BO (not you know who) because if I have a problem, I can just drive over the mountain.

The first set must have gotten screwed-up during one of the 3 times the lights were taken out at the body shop and the second harness was bad from the start. Two of the wires going into the connector plug looked like they were't engaged far enough into the pin (bare copper showing).

Glad to have that fixed.!

Archived