TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tranmission TSB and other drive train problems

19Maddog64

I do not know how to poll or track data, I would like to know how many GT500 owners are NOT having drive train problems. This is a major concern with me because some are really having troubles. I did not have any problems with my '08 other than some chatter and learning pains. It smoothed out, broke in and got better the more I drove it. My '09 seems to be better from the start. I don't know if that is because of learning on the '08 or if it is a better clutch, even my fiancee' noticed how much better it is. I have also noticed turning off the Traction Control helps normal take offs smoother. I don't know why - it just does.

Are there any high mileage GT500's out there without drive train probems? I know from reading some owners are having real and serious problems. I don't want to go through what they are.

If any out there would put there .02 in who are not having problems I would like to know. I assume others would also.

If you have some miles on you GT500 and the clutch TSB problems(?) are not showing up I would like to know and I am sure others would also. I wish I was better at collecting info - I will settle for stories about higher mileage GT500s without troubles

2007 built July 07.

16,500 miles and hardly at all in stop and go. Most of the miles have been interstate to work and back. (42) 7 miles in to town and 7 back so there again very few stop and go situations.

Sitting at a light I have always popped the car into neutral.

Note 373 gears from almost day 1.

I would be interested to know if those who are not having issues have gears?? You got to admit its easier on the clutch with lower gears.

early build car, august 2006. 17,300 fabulous miles. combination driving of "very spirited" driving, work commute, highway, stop/go. always in neutral at stop lights. still normal clutch operation. and yes fingers crossed.

I had my TSB learning Friday night @ 13,000 miles. ONly previous problem was difficulty in shifting into reverse.

Battling the dealership / Ford on covering the repairs under warranty, which technically have expired.

Given the extent and magnitude of the problem, I can't believe there's not been a recall.

If someone is informed on what it takes to initiate a recall (to avoid Ford's weak warranty expiration claim), I sure wish they'd share their information / views.

Many thanks.

I had my TSB learning Friday night @ 13,000 miles. ONly previous problem was difficulty in shifting into reverse.

Battling the dealership / Ford on covering the repairs under warranty, which technically have expired.

Given the extent and magnitude of the problem, I can't believe there's not been a recall.

If someone is informed on what it takes to initiate a recall (to avoid Ford's weak warranty expiration claim), I sure wish they'd share their information / views.

Many thanks.

Expired at 13000 miles? I thought we had 3 years/36,000? Or, are you referring to the clutch plates only, and the rest is covered?

It is good to know there are folks without problems! I am concerned after reading about the problems and how serious they can be. My new '09 has the newer/newest parts from what I can tell about the build date on the door tag (and yes from reading some of the input even an '09 can have cutch problems depending on the build date).

I have been breaking it in gently until tonight when my fiancee and I had to go out on the back roads and do some moderate burnouts. I swear we got 4th gear rubber or my imagination was running wild. This is a strong running car and I have ordered stage 3 from Evolution Performance. Also got the dual pass high capacity heat exchanger and bought the pulley puller.

Oh - silly question that I am going start a new topic with. I had to have my tires balanced - I could feel a minor shake and am anal about balance. I was talking to the chief (head?) mechanic and he told me people were having problems with the smaller pulleys damaging the valves or valve train. I didn't go into the subject with him because he is in charge of the guys working on my car and may need to make warranty decisions.

I do not understand how a 2.6" pulley could do that. Even with my limited knowledge I can't see this. Any problems with undersized pulleys.

Thanks for you info and any others that you come up with.

07 with 9k miles no issues

But I put my car in neutral when not movig.

I actually get a bad feeling from this car when standing still while its in gear with foot on clutch. I don't know if its just my leg getting tired holding it down or what but this car just seems to much rather be popped into neutral while waiting at lights and stop signs and so on.

I wonder if those that are not having problems are all puting it in neutral when stopped?

I thought my 2008 built in Nov 07 was OK, until I hit 27,000 miles. Then, I started having clutch/transmission problems (no matter the gear, if I pressed too hard on the accelerator, the engine RPMs would climb, but without me going any faster). She is now at the local dealership getting the TSB upgrade. Needless to say, I'm amazed that it took so many miles for mine to go bad. When I asked my service manager why Ford had not initiated a recall, he told me: "not all GT500s are having this problem, and it is not a safety issue." I guess I understand that reasoning, buy I am a bit disappointed that it was not worked out prior to production. Given its small numbers (relatively speaking), the GT500 was bound to have kinks. I am glad that Ford is fixing it me. According to my service manager, the parts (which I photographed last night) cost over $4 grand! It will be fixed first thing this morning. Can't wait to pick it up tonight to see and feel the difference.

'08 with 2270 miles.

Car is never in "stop & go" traffic and I had COMPLETE FAILURE. Car is STOCK, other than the SLP mufflers.

If you had to ask me what I thought, i'll say it's a "temperature" issue. For those having troubles in stop & go traffic, self explainatory. The flywheel is getting very hot thus increasing it's chances of warping. Mine completely failed in freezing temperatures. It's like getting your brakes really hot, then going through a puddle.....instant warpage.

For those nearing the end of their warranty, you may want to think about this carefully. This is a very expensive repair (Over $5k just for parts)

If it's not broken now, you may want to try to break it......JMHO

I thought my 2008 built in Nov 07 was OK, until I hit 27,000 miles. Then, I started having clutch/transmission problems (no matter the gear, if I pressed too hard on the accelerator, the engine RPMs would climb, but without me going any faster). She is now at the local dealership getting the TSB upgrade. Needless to say, I'm amazed that it took so many miles for mine to go bad. When I asked my service manager why Ford had not initiated a recall, he told me: "not all GT500s are having this problem, and it is not a safety issue." I guess I understand that reasoning, buy I am a bit disappointed that it was not worked out prior to production. Given its small numbers (relatively speaking), the GT500 was bound to have kinks. I am glad that Ford is fixing it me. According to my service manager, the parts (which I photographed last night) cost over $4 grand! It will be fixed first thing this morning. Can't wait to pick it up tonight to see and feel the difference.

Like you, I thought my 2007 was fine (until I hit about 35,000 miles).

Like you, mine is in the shop having the TSB done right now.

Like you, I can't wait to see if there is a difference.

Hay, we could be living the same life!

Lets see, did your wife growl at you as you left the house this morning?

2007 - Build #2 w/ 20,000 miles. No problems & fingers crossed, too.

85% highway miles - I drive aggressive often ( but not abusive or crazy ), but the car is easier to drive that way compaired to a regular sedan.

I, too have mild stiff shifting on cold mornings, and pop her into neutral at idel because the ol clutch leg cant stand the effort.

No mods except for Corsa axle back mufflers. Practically no " burnouts or speed shifting" either.

Please chime in on that extended warranty plan Ford sent us in the mail - need to consider that soon w/ sound advice from some of Yall.

For those who have not had issues with the clutch there may be driving habits or gears or maybe the transport driver didn't slip the crap out of it while loading it or they don't drive in stop and go traffic. That could be a contrubuting factor or reasons why many are not having issues. But it seems that trouble will come eventually and no 07-or 08 is exempt.

Some one mentioned a recall. A recall is very expensive in fact catostropic financually for the manufacture and there fore usually only performed when proven safety issues are evident. Although they may be aware of an issue, a recall ofton times will have government influence of some type. If we look at this particular car, many of them will never show signs of the clutch / tranny TSB while they are under warranty and therefore Ford will get out of absorbing a considerable amount of money for repairing them. Yes clutch failure with the right circumstances could injure someone but there again how many of these are sitting in garages with extremely low miles at this time and to my knowledge, I am not aware of any incidents where someone has been injured as a result of this. Again if some one were injured it could easily be justified as a isolated incident which is expected or anticipated with mannual shift cars. Remember the Explorer and Firestone tire (especially low air pressure combined) combo that contributed to so many serious accidents. It took a considerable amount of time for Ford to act on that and I am sure other agencies such as the NTSB were also involved pressing the matter.

I am a bit dissapointed, however that I paid $50,000 for a car that I may have to dump $5,000 into after the warranty expires for a damn clutch. No one made me pay the ADM but if you wanted one thats pretty much what you had to do to get one. When you consider the sticker price alone around $44K plus, I would expect to not have to absorb this cost and I believe many will agree with me on that.

The next question would be better answered probably by an Attourney or someone with the right expertise in this area. What can be done about this?

Like you, I thought my 2007 was fine (until I hit about 35,000 miles).

Like you, mine is in the shop having the TSB done right now.

Like you, I can't wait to see if there is a difference.

Hay, we could be living the same life!

Lets see, did your wife growl at you as you left the house this morning?

No, I don't have a wife to growl at me. But, my girlfriend was purring when I left her this morning. Sorry, I guess we are NOT living the same life... ;)

P.S. The service department at Crown Ford in Fayetteville NC is first-rate! I called the service rep Steve yesterday, and he said that the transmission was removed, and in the process of the rebuild. He said that I should have it sometime today. Can't wait!!!

Many thanks.

No, technically your warranty on the TSB covered issues HAS NOT expired. The TSB covers a design deficiency in the flywheel which is covered under the 60,000 mil powertrain warranty. In general the remainder is coverd 3/36 except for wear items like the clutch lining. The clutch lining did not fail first, the flywheel did causing the clutch to overheat. Very different than a warn out clutch which would be VERY difficult in 12.000 miles.

Hopefully when the warranty rep gets to Planet Ford, your repair will proceed normally. Likelyhood is that Planet got busted on warranty claims and now has to have a rep approve all repairs over a certian dollar limit before proceeding. Its Planet's problem, not yours other than your needing to wait.

Good luck. Guess you will be using a different dealer next time. I know I will go back to Lone Star for service on my GT500. They were pretty good with my defective radiator after Tomball pretty much refused to work on the car.

No, I don't have a wife to growl at me. But, my girlfriend was purring when I left her this morning. Sorry, I guess we are NOT living the same life... ;)

P.S. The service department at Crown Ford in Fayetteville NC is first-rate! I called the service rep Steve yesterday, and he said that the transmission was removed, and in the process of the rebuild. He said that I should have it sometime today. Can't wait!!!

My fiancee is going to cause me to tear the clutch up before I get to the TSB stuff. She is like having the little devil on my shoulder telling - no - compelling me to do burnouts, hard takeoffs, speed shifting, it is her thing which is why she doesn't drive the '09 now (she drove the '08 before I got rid of it). The wives, fiancee's, girlfriends of most guys I know raise heck about enjoying the power of their toys. She purrs a lot!

I am very serious about knowing about how many folks are having these problems. I think my '09 should have the newest parts - so hopefully it will not be an issue.

The next question would be better answered probably by an Attorney or someone with the right expertise in this area. What can be done about this?

Simple answer.......break it.

From what I gathered so far, I truly believe this is a "temperature" related failure. The flywheel is the root cause of the entire TSB. The flywheel "warps" and only 1 thing would make a flywheel warp, and that is "heat". This is why under "normal" driving conditions, most aren't having problems. Drive the car a lot in stop n go traffic and what happens? The flywheel will heat up and warp.

Do some "spirited" driving and take offs and you just increased the chances of the flywheel warping. My car broke down this past November with only 2200 miles. It was a freezing 32 degree day and I had it out and was "having fun".....apparently I got the flywheel hot enough that it warped. I parked the car after having some fun, went into the store to purchase an oil filter and a case of oil. Came out and that was it, the car would not go into ANY gear. I assume I got the flywheel hot, and by parking it out in the cold (very windy day too I might add), it simply warped. Up until that point, I never had an ounce of trouble with the car.

I knew the day would come that I would have troubles and it didn't surprise me in the least when it went. My buddy, who was with me at the time asked why I wasn't mad. I told him I knew this day would come and I was glad it came while I still had a warranty and it also came during the winter where the car would be stored anyway. I called another friend who came with a trailer and we got it home and in the garage. I had the dealership order all the parts that week and just today, I got my car back.....just in time for the upcoming spring.

Archived