TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How I Did It

Well guys, I did it! I finally ditched out on the NA quest for 350HP and decided to go with an S/C instead. The reasons are many, but the results are basically the same.

My goals were:

1) I wanted 350RWHP

2) I wanted to stay compliant with California smog requirements

3) I wanted low boost on the rotating assembly

4) I wanted to be able to stay with my 4:10 gears

I decided on the Ford Racing 400 HP Whipple.

After dyno testing I'm putting down 353RWHP and 342TQ. We're factoring in a bit of loss due to the 4:10's. This is using the stock Ford Racing tune file. My shop thinks that there's maybe another 20HP to be gained if I wanted to do a custom tune. I'll likely do that in the future once i'm ready. The boost is about 7lbs. This is a non-intercooled kit.

Certainly this is a very "mild" application when it comes to superchargers. There's always an option to add an intercooler and pulley and make close to 430RWHP. For now, I'm pretty happy with the overall driveability of the car. It's quiet, is instantly available and really upped the exhaust tone which makes the KR's growl now under WOT. I can't wait to get this thing out of the city and lay into it!

post-21846-1235519046_thumb.jpg

post-21846-1235519069_thumb.jpg

post-21846-1235519046_thumb.jpg

post-21846-1235519069_thumb.jpg

200 miles should be wrapped up by this evening.

She picks up and GOES! She's quiet as a mouse at idle. I do have a video file of the dyno run i'll try to post later. To me, this is how she should have been from day one.

Imagine - - Would anyone have still bought the SGT if this was the way they were setup to begin with? The GT500's have the 550HP and the SGT's with the 400 HP kit. It seems pretty simple to me and this would have really set apart an SGT from a Bullit and/or a regular MGT.

Well this kit comes with the FRPP tune for the setup. The KB's pretty much come with the same thing. Of course, these can always be adjusted.

Congrats on the install! The blower looks great under your hood.. Definitely post some vids of the idle and the dyno, if you get a chance. I'm really curious to hear this setup!

Ken

"Imagine - - Would anyone have still bought the SGT if this was the way they were setup to begin with? The GT500's have the 550HP and the SGT's with the 400 HP kit. It seems pretty simple to me and this would have really set apart an SGT from a Bullit and/or a regular MGT."

That's what I always thought. More in line with what they did in the '60s. Looks great, wish I could afford one right now since Tasca has that deal going on them and I'm 5 minutes away. :peelout:

That's been my goal all along when I look to start doing the performance mods. I wanted 350 rwhp. I agree 100% - this is the kind of hp that the SGTs should have had out the door from SAI to set it apart from the base Mustang GT and below the GT500.

I don't need something that will be over the top on HP, but I would like to make it be feared and respected by the other off the shelf sports cars like the 350/370Z, Mustang GT, Corverttes, Challengers, BMW M3, etc. I would have paid some extra for it at delivery time, but I don't think they were available due to CARB cert not approved back then.

By the way, what was the cost at the end of the day for the total install and parts? I would like to know what I need to start saving now!!

Andy.

That's been my goal all along when I look to start doing the performance mods. I wanted 350 rwhp. I agree 100% - this is the kind of hp that the SGTs should have had out the door from SAI to set it apart from the base Mustang GT and below the GT500.

I don't need something that will be over the top on HP, but I would like to make it be feared and respected by the other off the shelf sports cars like the 350/370Z, Mustang GT, Corverttes, Challengers, BMW M3, etc. I would have paid some extra for it at delivery time, but I don't think they were available due to CARB cert not approved back then.

By the way, what was the cost at the end of the day for the total install and parts? I would like to know what I need to start saving now!!

Andy.

I purchased the polished kit from Blue Oval for about $5400. The install was about $800. Plus, I bought a different cold air kit from Whipple because the one that comes with it is VERY OEM looking (Ford wanted it that way) and downright hideous! Fortunately, I called Whipple and they sold me what you see in the pic. I think that was $300.

GTR High Performance in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

www.gtrhipo.com

No other mods. The kit is pretty much bolt on. The only thing I did different was powder coat the water cross over to match the car.

Thanks for the info. I will ask them if they ever did a GTH. Wondering what would need to be done to the hood and how it would look.

Intriguing. Notice any difference in your MPG?

What's the great deal Tasca is running right now?

I wouldn't hone in on MPG just yet.... As i've obviously been a little heavier footed than normal. However, I did turn on the MPG afterward because I was curious and it looked to be about the same on at least the cruising speeds.

Tasca was offering installed whipples for like $8,100. Dennis had a post elsewhere here about it. I was there today and he said they had a little conflict with Shelby about it but still they have about 30-40 Shelbys in the shop right now so no big deal. They also had their new Cobra Jet car in there all lettered up like the original and ready to test later this week. No sign of a resession at that part of the dealership.

Propts on your SC.

Any estimate on engine longevity when comparing the two sc kits? I suppose the 400 kit is not as hard on the engine... I'm really liking your application and plan on learning more about SC'ing my SGT.

I chose the 400HP Kit for several reasons. One of which was I personally don't need to have 500+HP if I did I would have definitely bought a GT500. Secondly, since we all know the bottom end is the weakest link no need to apply all that boost. I still have options and could get it up to about 430RWHP by simply swapping out a pulley and adding the intercooler kit. That's about another $1K so I can always do that if i want.

This kit is warrantied by Ford Racing if installed by a Ford Dealership for 12K miles/12 months. I opted to have a local Mustang performance shop do the install though. I know these guys and I trust them and I am sure Whipple will at a minimum stand by their product in the event something happens with one of the components.

Unfortunately, there's just not a lot of these kits out there where you can get info on them. I met one other guy who had it installed by Tasca and he loved it.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading your post I pulled the trigger today and ordered the 400 HP unit. I have been debating for months about which one to get and reading all the posts here. Once it is installed I will let you all know how it is.

I like the fact that it isn't too extreme but will add a good punch to the car.

LS067

After reading your post I pulled the trigger today and ordered the 400 HP unit. I have been debating for months about which one to get and reading all the posts here. Once it is installed I will let you all know how it is.

I like the fact that it isn't too extreme but will add a good punch to the car.

LS067

LS067,

are you taking your car to Tasca?

LS067,

are you taking your car to Tasca?

I'm actually going to do the install myself. I have built a few engines in the past and after talking with a few people that have done the installs and the people at Whipple it doesn't really look that bad. More time consuming than difficult

I thought about going the Tasca way but I'm not as concerned about the registry etc... I did inquire with Dennis about the special but I was a bit concerned about the 550HP on the motor and the drivability.

HORSBGT: I have the stock gears in now but may consider an upgrade after I see how it drives..... What are your thoughts, still loving it or do you wish for more power? My concern was the rear breaking away on corners too easy.

Cliff!! I had no idea you did an SC. Congrats. Hope to se it a show soon. I will be showing at the Forbiden fantasy Show this weekend at Perris Fairgrounds. It isn't a Ford or muscle car show but they are having a modern muscle class there. By the way the car looks great. Fantastic job by GTR.

I'm actually going to do the install myself. I have built a few engines in the past and after talking with a few people that have done the installs and the people at Whipple it doesn't really look that bad. More time consuming than difficult

I thought about going the Tasca way but I'm not as concerned about the registry etc... I did inquire with Dennis about the special but I was a bit concerned about the 550HP on the motor and the drivability.

HORSBGT: I have the stock gears in now but may consider an upgrade after I see how it drives..... What are your thoughts, still loving it or do you wish for more power? My concern was the rear breaking away on corners too easy.

For me, the 4:10's are a non-issue. The whole thing drives like a dream. I think it could be due to the bigger tires i'm running out back and the fact that they grip well. I can tell if I stay hard into 2nd/3rd gear they wanna rip, but shifting takes care of that. I say 4:10's are well worth it for the boost.

Cliff!! I had no idea you did an SC. Congrats. Hope to se it a show soon. I will be showing at the Forbiden fantasy Show this weekend at Perris Fairgrounds. It isn't a Ford or muscle car show but they are having a modern muscle class there. By the way the car looks great. Fantastic job by GTR.

Thanks! GTR may have another coming up in May...... Plus Fab Ford's in April

Archived