TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch TSB - Force Recall or Class Action Lawsuit?

Shelby355XL

Wondering how many Shelby GT500 owners have been screwed over because of the clutch TSB issue. From reading all these posts, it seems as if there's been hundreds of failures.

My clutch went out Friday night and inside of 2 days I went from not knowing a thing about the problem to realizing this is a huge, recurring issue for GT500 owners.

I'm pushing the dealership and Ford hard to cover my TSP repairs although the clutch warranty has expired...I have 13,000 miles and it's over a year old. Screw that though!

From what I've learned from this forum, the factory clutch design was flawed and that's the cause of so many failures. The TSB clutch replacements parts are completely redesigned to overcome the original problems. Hence the need for a recall!

Curious as to whether forcing a recall (threatening a class action lawsuit) has been discussed in this forum already and/or whether there's enough instances whereby it could be organized into an action against Ford to fix. Otherwise myself and a great many other Shelby owners are going to be out $5k in repairs due to these clutch problems.

Thoughts?

Find a reputable dealer that will do the TSB work for you under warranty - no need to pay out of pocket. I had mine completed after the 12 month warranty period on the clutch. The problem part is the flywheel. Read up on the TSB, read the forum posts on the subject so you're well informed and go discuss this rationaly with a reputable dealer - preferrably one who has successfully completed a few.

Find a reputable dealer that will do the TSB work for you under warranty - no need to pay out of pocket. I had mine completed after the 12 month warranty period on the clutch. The problem part is the flywheel. Read up on the TSB, read the forum posts on the subject so you're well informed and go discuss this rationaly with a reputable dealer - preferrably one who has successfully completed a few.

Thanks. I'm trying to figure out who my prime target is. I think the dealership is going to point to Ford, who will likely be hard asses about this. If the Ford reps deny the TSB work, which I expect, I will hit the dealership between the eyes. I'm dealing with Planet Ford in Houston, a reputable dealership...I think. They are huge.

Can you share with me how you were able to get them to cover this beyond the 12 month period? They broke down my tranny, said my flywheel wasn't warped. Oh well, I'm still convinced the burnt clutch is because of the other issues noted on this forum.

Thanks.

Thanks. I'm trying to figure out who my prime target is. I think the dealership is going to point to Ford, who will likely be hard asses about this. If the Ford reps deny the TSB work, which I expect, I will hit the dealership between the eyes. I'm dealing with Planet Ford in Houston, a reputable dealership...I think. They are huge.

Can you share with me how you were able to get them to cover this beyond the 12 month period? They broke down my tranny, said my flywheel wasn't warped. Oh well, I'm still convinced the burnt clutch is because of the other issues noted on this forum.

Thanks.

You obviously have issues with your tranny - a reputable dealer who is familiar with the TSB should do the repairs no questions asked. All I did was go talk with my dealer and told the service advisor that my car failed one of the two tests folks have been using to evaluate whether they have a potential problem with the tranny, but didn't exhibit any other symptoms. Next thing you know they were preparing to order the parts and they didn't even go for a test drive. Just go talk with your dealer and be informed and rational instead of being upset and emotional.

I was told at Rogers Ford when I asked specifically about the TSB at 11K during an oil change and they said they would call me if I needed it done. At 13k, with no drag racing, road tracking or anything even close to hard driving my clutch started to go out (it would engage during hard accel. without me touching the pedal). I took it back to Rogers Ford and their guy drove and said, yep it's the clutch going out..that'll be 5 hours labor up front to investigate the problem, but the clutch is only covered to 12K....I argued with them that the TSB is there because there is a definite flaw in the design and or manufacture of the entire assembly, they said they would still need the 5 hours paid up front and it probably wouldn't be covered.

I called my dealership I purchased it from and drove it up the next day (115 miles), they kept the car for 2 weeks did the TSB, I drove it 4 blocks and the tranny cratered, I returned it, they kept it another 2 weeks and they replaced the entire transmission assembly. A Ford rep from Dallas flew out and looked at everything and approved immediately. The warranty bill came out to right at $11K, they never batted an eye, in fact while they had it, they went through the other TSBs to make sure there was nothing else, and performed them, the tech spent a little time on the car while waiting for parts and fixed 2 or 3 minor things in the interior as well as ordered and replaced new headlight bezels because he said mine were marred from the inside. And they threw in a complete oil change, detail as well as a new car to drive while mine was down.

P. O. S. DEALERSHIPS WAKE UP!!!! This is how it's supposed to be done. You wonder why your showrooms are empty...it's because your just like the first dealship I dealt with on the matter, and I don't care if it's the last dealership left here, I'll never take my car to them for anything, nor will I ever buy so much as a can of windshield cleaner from them, and I tell every single person in town and everywhere else I can just what a terrible dealership it is. To the point of talking about it in front of a finance mgr for the dealship one night while on break during a gig....He got very huffy and indignant, so I had the mgr of the club get his tab, I paid it in full and he was asked to leave. Yeah, I was jerk about it, but too bad, they had more than plenty of chances to try to do the right thing....Heck, the one oil change I had there it took me 3 days to get the under the hood area clean from where this idiot slung oil and grease everywhere...I didn't complain, but just asked if that was normal and the writer said he could have it detailed for $75...I told him it was showroom new when I brought it in, he just looked at me and said if you want it detailed, it'll be another day and $75.

Moral of your story, find a good dealership that knows the GT500 and has a service manager you can actually sit down and talk to, and make sure he has master techs that know what their doing, and stay on top of it, ask to see every process that is going on...and then if you're not happy, bring FOMOCO in.

Guest markham51

I had mine done a month ago under warranty. It was one of the first built and I had it 725SS'd.

Some advice on things that can help>>>

Be a "GOOD CUSTOMER"

I always establish a positive relationship with the dealership. In this case I didnt buy the car from them, but I have bought others. "I drop by once in a while and chat with techs, I get them to change the oil and use that time to be seen and heard with salesmen and parts guys. GOOD customers are ones they see often, not just once every 3 years when you buy something.

Establish that you are KNOWLEDGEABLE (Ford messed up, not you) and THIS IS A SERIOUS KNOWN PROBLEM (lots of others...see my print outs!)

I copied all of Grabbers pictures and information on the problem and how to fix the problem and took it in to the dealer. I asked for a meet with the master tech who does this kind of work and the service manager. I talked with them about how I dont drag race and I treat car decently (but I do some spirited driving of course and car should be able to handle that). I told them this was a major problem with other Shelby GT500s and showed them some posts from guys with low mileage. I also told them i was concerned I might not get covered because of my SS725 conversion>>>>but that most were getting coverage, which is true, because this is a major manufcturing miscue and not a fault of mine or my driving habits.

Ford will fix engineering related TSBs regardless of the mileage if they believe the problem is a design issue and not just normal wear and tear or abuse. My old flywheel looked normal to my tech (this is normal)but so what. Everything else was in tiny bits and pieces and symptoms were there long before it messed up, ie chatter, hard to engage gates etc! You NEED to convince them this is a major issue and if you spend some time with your printer you should have lots of evidence.

Dont be afraid to meet your master tech. If he likes you, he will go the extra mile! Ron (my tech) and I are now good friends and he does all kinds of things for me because we have a good relationship. Working with the GT500s and other such cars is fun for them. If they are good they take pride in fixing them properly and keeping the customer happy so they will buy more in the future, they know their jobs are tied to that fact. I have his (Rons) email and copy him on posts that he might be interest in etc.

Good luck.

Mark

Thanks.

When you go in to talk to the tech...be very aware of all the problems. Here is a thread that I have laid them all out for you to review:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=36724&hl=

I asked specifically about the TSB at 11K during an oil change and they said they would call me if I needed it done.

Although you had the repair approved you should have had the issue noted on your 11k oil change receipt. If it was noted on your receipt at 11k miles it would have been real easy to go back at 13k miles and show them that you were complaining about this issue while it WAS under warranty.

Basically I'm posting this for others so they can avoid the situation you found yourself in.

Steve

Shelby355XL,

Where in Texas are you? My clutch recently went out at 15,xxx miles without any of the other symptoms some have reported. I took my car to Lonestar Ford in Houston. They ran an Oasis report and promptly performed the TSB. Only took them 3 days as well. There was no hassle and no 3rd degree. They are well aware of the issues with these vehicles.....As a side note, I purchaed my car out of state and I had never been to Lonestar except to buy parts and oil.

I dont think you will have a problem getting the TSB performed if you talk to the right dealer and I certainly dont think Ford will give you any grief if it gets to that level....

Good luck!

Hi there, I followed Grabbers guidelines 1 through 8 and discussed it with my service advisor ....he ordered the parts and 3 months later called me to bring in my car.

He called 3 days later and said I needed a new tranny.....the following week it was installed.......I shipped the car home in december on a flat bed and will have to wait till April to find out how it performs...

MY DEALERSHIP IS REPUTABLE .......

:peelout::peelout: STEVE .............725 SUPER SNAKE :yup:

P.S. " be a good customer "

I had my TSB done last year and about 500 miles later it started acting up again, and since november I've been waiting on backordered parts. And yesterday they call me to tell me that the parts have arrived but Ford has called them to send one of there tech guys out to come check my car out and the tranny before they can replace it and that IF it looks like it will be my fault then I will be responsable for the repairs.

What's that all about? anybody ever had this happen to them?

Shelby355XL,

Where in Texas are you? My clutch recently went out at 15,xxx miles without any of the other symptoms some have reported. I took my car to Lonestar Ford in Houston. They ran an Oasis report and promptly performed the TSB. Only took them 3 days as well. There was no hassle and no 3rd degree. They are well aware of the issues with these vehicles.....As a side note, I purchaed my car out of state and I had never been to Lonestar except to buy parts and oil.

I dont think you will have a problem getting the TSB performed if you talk to the right dealer and I certainly dont think Ford will give you any grief if it gets to that level....

Good luck!

I'm in Houston, TX. Purchased my Shelby from Planet Ford (Randell Reed) in Spring. Haven't had any issues with them...until now. I'm getting concerned because if there are other dealerships taking care of this with no problems / no questions asked, even after the 12,000 mile warranty mark, I can't help but wonder what the heck is going on here. How can these other dealerships fix the problem immediately whereas Planet Ford has my Cobra for a week..."waiting on the Ford reps to inspect the clutch / tranny to make a decision on whether to cover the TSB repairs." I sent them a letter noting all of the known defects and provided the General Manager with a small fraction of the information availabel (it was 1/2 inch think)...so I'm hopeful they will do the right & equitable thing and cover the TSB repair. But I'm still waiting to hear. I'll let everyone know what comes of it.

Don't know about the chatter, have to read up on Grabbers thread, but if the chirp you hear is like a hiss, it's normal when letting the clutch out, now in the garage with the clutch all the way engaged you shouldn't have that, if you do, then you need to have them look into.

And Shelbymotorsports, you're completely right...I should have not taken that person at their word. And am wiser now. Wise enough to know I won't be doing business with a dealership like that again, and if I don't take it to the selling dealership for service, I'll now know to ask those questions and have them document it properly.

SUCCESS!!!

Just got a call from the General Manager of Planet Ford in Spring, Texas. He said they are starting the TSB repairs now and will cover it. He said he'll press the issue with Ford, but either way my repairs are getting covered. I provided him all of the information on this issue and he rightfully concluded that it was the fair & equitable thing to do.

Go Planet Ford! Tell your all of your friends that Planet Ford in Spring, Texas is an excellent dealership to deal with! I've had nothing but EXCELLENT experiences with them, especially this time with the TSB issue. They are taking care of it!

Also, they have an awesome looking KR500 sitting in their show room floor! Selling @ sticker, or slightly above sticker. So if anyone is in the market, give 'em a call.

Thanks to all of you for the information, especially Grabber!

Many thanks!

My dealership who deals alot with high performance mustangs, has no problem doing the TSB for me so they say, but at the same time, they continue to say, they don't think I will have any problems and that it is more the early 07 cars and the ones driven improperly.

Here is my guess on why some 07s have not broke yet. They maybe did lube the input shaft but we still have the crappy flywheel and input shaft but because ours had some lube, it is lasting longer. Seems logical?

My dealership who deals alot with high performance mustangs, has no problem doing the TSB for me so they say, but at the same time, they continue to say, they don't think I will have any problems and that it is more the early 07 cars and the ones driven improperly.

Here is my guess on why some 07s have not broke yet. They maybe did lube the input shaft but we still have the crappy flywheel and input shaft but because ours had some lube, it is lasting longer. Seems logical?

Chuck,

I'm not sure your dealer has a clue to the full scope of the problem.

The first 11 months of the 2007 model year GT500 have no lube on the shaft at all. It's dry as a bone. The last month of 2007 production.....got some lube on the shaft.

Chuck its to bad you didn`t attend the Detroit T.S even`t & met the SVT engineer that was involved in the new flywheel, design. He looked at my car checked out my clytch and told me I have the symptoms of the clutch going south. Now I feel my car is operating fine but its scheduled to go in for the TSB as soon as we get a couple nice days. I can only tell you to listen to Rob (Grabber) & the things he has posted.

I have an 07 and had no symptoms until complete failure at 25,000 miles. The car was towed to the local dealer, Bozard Ford in St. Augustine Florida. They took everything apart. The clutch was shot. They told me that due to the TSB everything was covered. One week later I picked up the car. They performed everything including the syncros. Excellent dealership. This is not the dealership I bought the car from. Ford Knows they made a mistake and will fix it within the 36,000 mile warranty period if you are dealing with someone reputable.

Hey everyone I have a 2008 GT 500 with 550 miles on her. I have 1 st gear chatter only sometimes when I take off at a start. I never have it in second. Then again I only have 550 miles on her! Check this out after buying my Car I had the Oasis Report pulled and Learned the dealership were I got my car Performed the TSB at 3 miles right after they got it off the truck! Go figure! I was never told when buying the car and was up set finding this out 2 weeks after I bought the car. I have the work order it says Tranny wont shift out of gear at 3 miles when removed from shipping. Called shelby hotline and preformed TSB fix per shelby hotline. Clutch, flywheel and transmission was replaced January 12 2008. My car sat on dealer showroom for almost 12 months until I bought her on Demcember 20th 2008. My cars build date is 11/21/2007. when i bought the car it had 33 miles on her and she srives sooooo fast it scares me sometimes! I have a question do you think I have the new flywheel? I know it has a new tranny as I spoke with the tech that did it and he told me Ford wouldnt let him do anything but Remove old unit and replace it with the new they provided. He told me ford was detailed on the dealer not touching the transmissions inside at that time. Oh well thought i Share I have been upset not being told and I have had a talk with the Regional Ford Rep and they would even give me a Free oil Change! Talk about a Joke on customer service! Dont ever buy a Car from Valley ford in Hanford California! they never told me about the repairs and to me thats dishonest! here's my car on Ebay when i bought her in december thought i share

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...9&viewitem=

Jason :slapfight:

Jason, that sucks that they sold you a "non numbers matching car" and never told you. I'd ask them for my original numbers matching transmission back.

That's another reason i'm glad I was the one who ordered this car. As soon as it came off the truck, I knew about it.

Hey everyone I have a 2008 GT 500 with 550 miles on her. I have 1 st gear chatter only sometimes when I take off at a start. I never have it in second. Then again I only have 550 miles on her! Check this out after buying my Car I had the Oasis Report pulled and Learned the dealership were I got my car Performed the TSB at 3 miles right after they got it off the truck! Go figure! I was never told when buying the car and was up set finding this out 2 weeks after I bought the car. I have the work order it says Tranny wont shift out of gear at 3 miles when removed from shipping. Called shelby hotline and preformed TSB fix per shelby hotline. Clutch, flywheel and transmission was replaced January 12 2008. My car sat on dealer showroom for almost 12 months until I bought her on Demcember 20th 2008. My cars build date is 11/21/2007. when i bought the car it had 33 miles on her and she srives sooooo fast it scares me sometimes! I have a question do you think I have the new flywheel? I know it has a new tranny as I spoke with the tech that did it and he told me Ford wouldnt let him do anything but Remove old unit and replace it with the new they provided. He told me ford was detailed on the dealer not touching the transmissions inside at that time. Oh well thought i Share I have been upset not being told and I have had a talk with the Regional Ford Rep and they would even give me a Free oil Change! Talk about a Joke on customer service! Dont ever buy a Car from Valley ford in Hanford California! they never told me about the repairs and to me thats dishonest! here's my car on Ebay when i bought her in december thought i share

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...9&viewitem=

Jason :slapfight:

Looks like you got a new Trans, Flywheel, Clutch, and bolts... The new clutch comes in a kit 7R3Z-6375-B You have a 7R3Z-6375-AA. May be the old style. I would have car racked and have the flywheel inspected per Grabbers description to be sure. Also looks like you got some stripe work done too

Leroy

Leroy

I`ve heard that some of the old style of fly wheels have been installed . I checked mine when the dealer received the parts to make sure its the right one. Mine goes in Monday as the weather is going to be nice, no snow three days of sun forecasted. Short throw shifter goes in & the drive shaft gets detailed (painted)

Called shelby hotline and preformed TSB fix per shelby hotline. Clutch, flywheel and transmission was replaced January 12 2008. My car sat on dealer showroom for almost 12 months until I bought her on Demcember 20th 2008. My cars build date is 11/21/2007. when i bought the car it had 33 miles on her and she srives sooooo fast it scares me sometimes! I have a question do you think I have the new flywheel?

If you look at TSB 08-16-04, it was published on July 28, 2008, months following the date on which your clutch, flywheel and tranny were replaced. So, I am not sure you have the new flywheel installed.

7R3Z-6375-B is the part number of the new TSB flywheel kit, perhaps the Oasis report will have the part number of the flywheel that was installed at the time of repair. An inspection per this thread can also be done to determine whether you have the new flywheel.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...t=0&start=0

It's unfortunate that your dealer didn't inform you of this "minor" detail.

Archived