TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Lancer #63

neonsox

Just registered today and thought I would introduce myself and the car...

My name is Jeremy, and I own 1987 Shelby Lancer #63, which is a cloth/5-speed car. I bought the it from Tod D. in RI in December of 2008. This rust-free car has less than 87K original miles on it and is garaged in the winter and most of spring except for the occasional local SDAC chapter meeting. I have all the original documentation and a brief history of the car. All of the original Shelby items are intact and installed.

Modifications include a Mopar Performance Stage II computer, 3" cat-back exhaust with a high-flow cat and Dynomax muffler, performance wires, and a K&N filter. I use only Mobil 1 brand oil and filter and the oil will be changed every season since I don't intend to put many miles on the car. Aside from the AC system needing diagnosing, getting the DEX-77 speaker output fixed, and a few small bubbles on the body, the car runs and looks great. Preventing rust is a priority as I consider it to be the #1 killer of these and most other classic cars.

I got into Chrysler's turbo cars back in 1996 or so when I bought my first real car, a 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby. It had 80K miles and I found it on a lot less than a mile from my house. It was that or an Eclipse on the lot, but the Daytona was the coolest car I had ever driven or been in. It had everything I wanted back then: a sunroof, a hatch, it was good on gas, and the power was a definite bonus that got me hooked. I test drove it with my mother in the car, punched it a few times, and the fear in her eyes (along with the yelling) convinced me that this was my car. I had the car for a few years but never really understood what I had. I put nearly 50K on it before I ended up selling it. I went through a few cars over the years, some turbo Chryslers, some not, but I still wanted another Shelby someday. In December, I finally threw my hat back in the ring after getting back into the scene in the summer of 2007.

I participate on various online forums and mailing lists and am a member of SDAC-New England. Good to be here!

punched it a few times, and the fear in her eyes (along with the yelling) convinced me that this was my car.

Now thats too funny :lol:

Jeremy, Welcome to the Team Shelby forums. Glad you found us.

StokedShelbyOwner is a former S/Lancer owner and I wouldn't be surprised if he picks up another one in the near future.

If you have any questions feel free to post them and you already heard about the pics requirement, well its not really a requirement but we will hound you until you post some.

Steve

It's actually on the front page of the SDACNE club website. I don't know how this forum feels about links to other websites, so edit if needed, but it's on the www.sdacne.com front page.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I appreciate all Shelby cars (even the Fords ;)) and look forward to learning more about them.

So reading through the forum here, there seems to be a LOT of behind-the-scenes information available here that you just can't find anywhere else. I mean I've seen pictures of Shelby minivans, Shelby Durangos (which I sort of knew about), Shelby full sized vans in California... the list goes on and it's great. I'm still learning as I click on each thread. Amazing.

Is there any information in the library about my specific car? I would love to know when exactly it was built. What day, where it was initially delivered, etc. I have some of that stuff but would be interested in writing and researching a full history on the car.

VIN # is 1B3BX68E3HN395640 if that helps at all.

Is there any information in the library about my specific car? I would love to know when exactly it was built. What day, where it was initially delivered, etc. I have some of that stuff but would be interested in writing and researching a full history on the car.

Jeremy

The basic info out there on your car is that it was shipped from Shelby Autos on 02/23/87 to Trail Dodge in Minnesota. It was the 59th production Lancer built. Now thats the good news. The bad news is this info could be wrong.

Most factory info out there for the Whittier cars came from a single shipping report that has been xeroxed around the many Shelby Dodge camps. The problem is that over the last several years I've been finding that this info is not always correct.

Just because SAI shipped a car to a certain dealership doesn't mean that dealership actually sold the car. There were hundreds of dealer trades, Shelby dealers closing up and returning the cars back to Shelby, Chrysler Zone offices ending up with surplus cars, etc.

Most likely the info is good but I now consider these shipping reports to be only a starting point which should be checked against any paperwork you have from previous owners. Sales receipts, filled out warranty manuals, CarFax reports, Chrysler warranty/recall checks all can help confirm a cars past history.

Someday I hope that we can have a "Marti Report" for the Shelby Dodges. My guess is that will be down the road and most likely will only come if and when the Dodge cars increase in value.

Steve

Great information, Steve. I do have all the manuals and documentation wrapped in a Trail Dodge labeled folder, so it looks like this information may be spot on. I guess the car was sold in Minnesota back in '87, moved over here to Eastern Massachusetts in the 90's, then down to Rhode Island in '05-'06 or so, and now back here to Western Massachusetts as of December '08. I think I am the 5th owner of the vehicle. The previous owner wrote a quick history on the SDAC chapter site and only put about 1000 miles a year on it, only driving to meets and that sort of thing.

Good stuff. So I take it production wasn't linear by the numbers. In other words, Lancer #63 wasn't the 63rd built but the 59th. Some pictures of the Lancer in production or anything like that would be great for owners of the sub-200 Lancers known to be left. Thanks for the info!

So I take it production wasn't linear by the numbers. In other words, Lancer #63 wasn't the 63rd built but the 59th. Some pictures of the Lancer in production or anything like that would be great for owners of the sub-200 Lancers known to be left.

Yup the dash plaque numbers do not denote build sequence. In fact S/Lancer #800 was one of the first ones built. When I found #800 on a used Dodge dealers lot back in the 1990's it had an evaluation unit fender tag next to the regular fender tag showing just that.

Trying to figure out how many of each model that are still out there is about impossible. I feel your sub 200 number is too low out of the 800 that Shelby built. The best guess I have, and its just a guess, is that there are probably 450-500 Shelby Lancers still out there. And out there I don't mean on the road. I'm counting the ones that are sitting unregistered in peoples garages, backyards, etc.

Steve

I'd have two Lancers if I had the space. There was one up in Maine recently for a decent price too. I think I estimated 200 or so because of the Registry but you're right - I'm sure there are many yet to be discovered. My grandfather had a '33 Packard in his garage, stuff piled up on it, for at least 30-40 years. Then in came the wolves when he got old, but that's another story for another day.

• 3 years later...

There was one up in Maine recently for a decent price too.

This may actually be the Lancer that i bought last year. Depending on where in Maine you are talking of... I don't know what the chances are that there were 2 in Maine for sale...

This may actually be the Lancer that i bought last year. Depending on where in Maine you are talking of... I don't know what the chances are that there were 2 in Maine for sale...

Nice! I'm hoping to own a Shelby Lancer someday. What number is yours? Were you at SDAC 22 last month?

Archived