TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Obama to lay out sober assessment, hopeful future

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So let me get this right. Rasing taxes if you only make over 250,000, which is easily the majority of small businesses, who hire and employ alot of people, is going to stimulate the economy? Seems to me these people will be unable to hire more people or have to let people go because they have to pay higher taxes. So more people on wellfare. Oh wait, that is Obamas plan, never mind.

One hour of bull$hit jeff,

Im an adult, I dont need a pep talk,

I need action.

Funny! FoxNews and the right wing pundits have been saying for weeks that Obama has been way too somber and moving too fast.

http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/02/...k_obama_speech/

So which is it guys!?!?! You want the serious, we need to pass something and move fast, work it as we go, or do you want the "feel good" we'll work it out Obama? Of does it really matter cause you'll all say you wanted the other anyway?

I happen to think he did both and if the Republican side of the chamber rising in applause as often as they did...I'd say he got the right balance there too.

As the President said:

"I know that we haven't agreed on every issue thus far, and there are surely times in the future when we will part ways. But I also know that every American who is sitting here tonight loves this country and wants it to succeed. That must be the starting point for every debate we have in the coming months, and where we return after those debates are done. That is the foundation on which the American people expect us to build common ground.

And if we do — if we come together and lift this nation from the depths of this crisis; if we put our people back to work and restart the engine of our prosperity; if we confront without fear the challenges of our time and summon that enduring spirit of an America that does not quit, then someday years from now our children can tell their children that this was the time when we performed, in the words that are carved into this very chamber, "something worthy to be remembered."

Thank you, God Bless you, and may God bless the United States of America."

So let me get this right. Rasing taxes if you only make over 250,000, which is easily the majority of small businesses, who hire and employ alot of people, is going to stimulate the economy? Seems to me these people will be unable to hire more people or have to let people go because they have to pay higher taxes. So more people on wellfare. Oh wait, that is Obamas plan, never mind.

There is a difference between personal income taxes, which the President was talking about in reference to the Bush tax cuts, and business taxes which you seem to be talking about. The only time they are the same is a sole proprietorship which by definition does not have employees which you pointed out as an issue. Can you explain further what you mean? :headscratch:

I didn't "come up" with it. It came from your golden messiah.

Oh wait, it's a Fox report so it's automatically null and void in your eyes. Would you prefer a report from the Onion? :lurk:

I think you missed my point. He made a mistake in that he was supposed to say we invented the "automobile industry" so there's no argument on the flub only that this is all you can speak to?

Are there specific issues you had with the content of the speech, that are not cut and pasted from some web site, or do you at long last only have more generalized comments of anti-President Obama posturing that make up 90% of this thread?

:lurk:

It was refreshing and encouraging to see a speech, spoken so well and intelligently, with such great emphasis. Though what I found astonishing was the contrast drawn with the Republican response by Bobby Jindal. This was the guy that was going to save the GOP in 2012. Looks like they'll be reconsidering "Plan B Palin". Jindal blew that national exposure opportunity BIG time. Did anyone catch it? He spoke to the American public as if we were children. To see and hear him, just after seeing Obama and how comfortable and poised he was - it was a remarkable contrast. Obama ceased the opportunity with the American people last nite, just as he did at the 2004 Democratic convention. Jindal flat out blew it.

I think you missed my point. He made a mistake in that he was supposed to say we invented the "automobile industry" so there's no argument on the flub only that this is all you can speak to?

Are there specific issues you had with the content of the speech, that are not cut and pasted from some web site, or do you at long last only have more generalized comments of anti-President Obama posturing that make up 90% of this thread?

Hang on, I am not anti-Obama. Heck the man hasn't been in office long enough to honestly be hated for his decisions yet. I think the majority of the problem was sitting immediately behind and to his left. Charismatic as he may be when prepared, I do believe he is inept and not qualified to lead the USA, especially right now. One would think the great orator would check what he says when he is going to be under such scrunity but maybe his writers also cut and pasted his speech. As I said which you seem to have overlooked, the car comment was trivial; trifling to the conversation. One can not nor should they overlook the generalalities and hyperboles he expounded upon to build himself up which seems to be the very core of politics itself, as the link I pasted pointed out.

As far as me "cutting and pasting" you have done you fair share as well. I am not a political analyst nor do I follow politics - in fact I am probably one of the most anti-political, anti-drama people you will ever meet except for specific issues - but like most of America I do depend upon news reporting agencies to decipher the pomp and circumstance.

You can choose to ignore, you can belt insults and snyde remarks and you can also choose to wait on the rainbow stew, free rent and million dollar checks in the mail which seems to be what a large majority of his following expect. Me? I'm going to bed early tonight so I can wake up refreshed and go to work - so my tax dollars can go to fund all this crap as I sit here with absolutely no say-so in the matter.

Hey - Obama's still a rookie - and he's as human as the rest of us. He even stepped on Pelosi's announcing the POTUS - just as he did with Roberts at the inauguration. Though Pelosi did delay a bit too long - and Robert's messed up his lines as well...I'll slide him slack. The polls already show 80% of the US felt optimistic after the speech. We are in a crisis of confidence. I was waiting for him to recite FDR " we have nothing to fear, but fear itself". He didn't use that line - but it effect he did say it. We will rebuild, we will recover and we will be stronger.

It was refreshing and encouraging to see a speech, spoken so well and intelligently, with such great emphasis. Though what I found astonishing was the contrast drawn with the Republican response by Bobby Jindal. This was the guy that was going to save the GOP in 2012. Looks like they'll be reconsidering "Plan B Palin". Jindal blew that national exposure opportunity BIG time. Did anyone catch it? He spoke to the American public as if we were children. To see and hear him, just after seeing Obama and how comfortable and poised he was - it was a remarkable contrast. Obama ceased the opportunity with the American people last nite, just as he did at the 2004 Democratic convention. Jindal flat out blew it.

Jindal? Bobby Jindal did nothing but make an ass out of himself. Yes, I saw it.

You still haven't quite figured out that part about that being personal income taxes, and not small business income?

Remember when McCain was making all the goofy faces across from Obama during the debates?

post-21656-1235608629_thumb.jpg

Ah...one who takes great pride in his ignorance. :hysterical:

Speaking of ignorance, wow, I feel so much better that Obama is entrusting oversight of the so-called "stimulus" package to none other that Joe Biden!! As if the stimulus package wasn't already a disaster in the making by itself...

Biden Slips Up, Asks For Website's 'Number'

The vice president made a techie gaffe Wednesday as he asked an aide to tell him a Web site's "number," stirring questions online whether he knows how the Internet works.

Maybe he should call in Al Gore to teach Joe how to use his invention. :hysterical:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0209/19303.html

It appears that Obama's own party is concerned about Obama's alleged "transparency in government" as well. Looks like the Obama administration may not using the true meaning of this word either.

Speaking of ignorance, wow, I feel so much better that Obama is entrusting oversight of the so-called "stimulus" package to none other that Joe Biden!! As if the stimulus package wasn't already a disaster in the making by itself...

The vice president made a techie gaffe Wednesday as he asked an aide to tell him a Web site's "number," stirring questions online whether he knows how the Internet works.

Maybe he should call in Al Gore to teach Joe how to use his invention. :hysterical:

Now that was funny. :hysterical:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0209/19303.html

It appears that Obama's own party is concerned about Obama's alleged "transparency in government" as well. Looks like the Obama administration may not using the true meaning of this word either.

Yep - needs some improvement. He's learning fast though.

You still haven't quite figured out that part about that being personal income taxes, and not small business income?

Remember when McCain was making all the goofy faces across from Obama during the debates?

onequikpony I beleive that photo was taken after Mccain had enough of the " Obama Condensed Cream Of Crap Soup".

Many small businesses are S-Corps, the owners pay personal tax on any profit, which most of the time is tied up as working capital. This will set back small bussiness who create 80% of the jobs, or havn't you figured that out. Good luck to all the unemployed finding a new job. The only new jobs will be in goverment.

Technically, all websites are translated into IP Addresses which are numbers. Example: 112.102.56.12. My father was an old school programmer who could translate binary numbers, (01110000.01100110.00111010.00001100), into this format, and translate this format into binary on the fly. Although I doubt this is the case, Biden might have been referring to an IP Address.

But I doubt it, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

As far as Obama's mistake, it's not as bad as Al Gore claiming to have invented the Internet.

Technically, all websites are translated into IP Addresses which are numbers. Example: 112.102.56.12. My father was an old school programmer who could translate binary numbers, (01110000.01100110.00111010.00001100), into this format, and translate this format into binary on the fly. Although I doubt this is the case, Biden might have been referring to an IP Address.

As far as Obama's mistake, it's not as bad as Al Gore claiming to have invented the Internet.

Why that's very diplomatic of you, SD. Though I still don't give Joe the benefit. He's got hoofinmouth. There will be more to come. Though nobody's perfect.

On Gore's comment - again he simply misspoke. He was referring to his work on getting our schools wired for the internet way back when. It's a great sound bite - and being in DP for 30 years, I laugh too. Though I have always given Gore the benefit of doubt on that one.

Why that's very diplomatic of you, SD. Though I still don't give Joe the benefit. He's got hoofinmouth. There will be more to come. Though nobody's perfect.

On Gore's comment - again he simply misspoke. He was referring to his work on getting our schools wired for the internet way back when. It's a great sound bite - and being in DP for 30 years, I laugh too. Though I have always given Gore the benefit of doubt on that one.

Lots of people mis-speak. I'd hazzard a guess that most people don't know that the automobile wasn't invented in America, so I didn't think it a big deal.

But there is no way a reasonably intelligent person could mis-speak that they invented the Internet. That would be like me saying I invented the automobile because I worked on one once.

Lots of people mis-speak. I'd hazzard a guess that most people don't know that the automobile wan't invented in America, so I didn't think it a big deal.

But there is no way a reasonably intelligent person could mis-speak that they invented the Internet. That would be like me saying I invented the automobile because I worked on one once.

Well then, here we'll agree to disagree. I think Joe will be much more fun than Gore on the spoken word.

Well then, here we'll agree to disagree. I think Joe will be much more fun than Gore on the spoken word.

Fair enough. Personally, I couldn't give a rat's buttocks what any VP says...unless they become president. That's why I think the President should have the new helicopter. I want the President kept as safe as possible so we don't have to suffer the clowns standing behind them.

Many small businesses are S-Corps, the owners pay personal tax on any profit, which most of the time is tied up as working capital. This will set back small bussiness who create 80% of the jobs, or havn't you figured that out. Good luck to all the unemployed finding a new job. The only new jobs will be in goverment.

That is correct BUT an S corporation doesn’t pay federal or state income taxes. In an S-Corporation, only earnings paid to an owner as salary is subject to payroll taxes. Any money left in the business for reinvestment or distributed to the shareholder as a dividend is not subject to self-employment tax. With an S-Corp you have to file an 1120S. From that you get the K-1, which flows through to the 1040 personal return. The other thing about S-Corps is that you have to a “reasonable salary.” But what the hell is a “reasonable salary” for the owner, CEO, CFO, secretary, and lead plumber all rolled into one person? The IRS is so upside down right now, though, I’ve seen people get away with not even paying themselves a salary for years. Sigh…Also, reasonable salary has absolutely nothing to do with your profit for the year.

http://www.lawyerintl.com/law-articles/194...S%20Corporation

Funny I thought same thing! Maybe when it was in beta it was the IP address and not a URL. Oh well...still better than Sen. Stevens and his "tubes" or President Bush and "the internets" or "the google". :hysterical:

Archived