TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How Can I Touch-Up Stone Chips?

Jolly Roger

Well, within two days of posting on this site that I would rather take my chances with the stones than with the possible issues with a clear bra (e.g. ala 3M), I got a nice 2 mm x 3 mm jagged edged stone chip on the leading edge of the front left wheel well, and a second much smaller chip in the hood stripe near the leading edge of the hood. :drop:

Other than purchasing a bit of touch up paint from my dealer (Tungsten Grey), does anyone here have any suggestions? The chip is down to the primer only. :headscratch:

Thanks! :rockon:

well the way I do it is with a small tool that sort of looks like a dental tool. It has a very small receptable for a couple of drops of paint then a very small tube the paint comes out of. You can get them at a craft store like "Micheals" Thet are used for some sort of craft painting. The thing really works great as it only puts out a small amount of paint and you can fill small chips without getting too much paint in one spot. I have used mine for probally 10 years now on dozens of cars. If I need to I can take a pic and post if necessary or stop a Micheals and get a proper description- no car nut should be without one of these!

I think the wide front fender flares are going to be a problem area... I have 2 chips, small ones on the right front. I like the idea of the tool from Michaels and will look for one, but in the past I have just used a toothpic with a tiny bit of paint on it so I fill only the void without getting paint all over.

Well, within two days of posting on this site that I would rather take my chances with the stones than with the possible issues with a clear bra (e.g. ala 3M), I got a nice 2 mm x 3 mm jagged edged stone chip on the leading edge of the front left wheel well, and a second much smaller chip in the hood stripe near the leading edge of the hood. :drop:

Other than purchasing a bit of touch up paint from my dealer (Tungsten Grey), does anyone here have any suggestions? The chip is down to the primer only. :headscratch:

Thanks! :rockon:

What I have found works very well is to take a flat tooth pick then use a razor blade to cut a little slit in either end. When you dip it in paint the slit will act like an old Ink pen and suck up the paint. When you touch the filled tooth pick to your chipped area the paint will be sucked out by how close you hold it.

This method may take a bit of practice but works very well.

For larger chips I use an air brush. I also have a special pen that you fill with paint then touch it to chip area. It has a little ball inside to keep paint mixed up.

Since your car has metallic in paint it will be a bit tougher to make it look right.

Make sure you go to your local paint jobber PPG, Dupont etc to get proper match.

All the Shelbys have clear coat too so it may make it a bit tougher to look right

Good luck!

i dont know if anyones seen it, but duplicolor makes a product that acts like an invisible bra, just spray the stuff on where you need it and it's suppose to protect the applied areas from stone chips and such. good thing about this stuff is it washes of with regular car soap and water. hope this helps. jay

Archived