TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT VS Bullitt in resale

altopcat

It will be interesting to see how the trades / resales compare in 10-15 years.

Edit - I forget, how many Bullits were / are being made?

I did not buy my Shelby for re-sale value. Right now the resale value is going to be the lowest, there are still New ones on the lots that are bringing the value down. Look at what happened to the 2003-2004 Mach 1, resale was almost the same as the regular Mustang up until a few years ago. Down the road I would expect our resale to be the best out of all the 2005-2009 Mustangs, but I am talking 10 plus years from now.

Couple of points. These cars appeal, primarily, to two different segments of the Mustang and car enthusiast market. The Bullitt is a sleeper simple no bling vehicle that has a following from the old movie. It's appeal outside that group is somewhat limited but it's enough to keep Ford building versions of it. On the other hand you have the SGT. The Shelby name and a car that while it has some bling does it in, I think, a very elegant way. Unlike a Saleen or a Rouche (sp?) it doesn't go over the top and loose sight of the fact it's a Mustang. Add to that it's the first set of production cars put together by Shelby since the 60's and you have a car that will be special to a different segment of the market.

Which segment is buying more than the other today? Tomorrow? Next year? 20 years? No idea! I do know I see plenty of Bullitts on dealer lots outside in the snow. I don't see SGTs. But that's my view.

The only "+" I see with the Bullitt, IMHO, is the variable tune...THAT I wish we had. Other than that...I'm not the target customer.

I wouldn't worry about the resell value, just buy whatever makes you happy.

+1

Not a professional in this field but I would think the Bullitt would bring a higher resale value to the uninformed. Reason is this. The Bullitt will most likely have a section dedicated to it in all the used car price books where the SGT may not, simply because the Bullitt is a production car built by Ford, like the SVT GT-500, who also has its section. This should give a value higher, to the Bullitt, then the Mustang GT, which most dealers would probably try to place the value of a SGT at. Now is where the true collectors and enthusiests come in. If you know what your looking at I know, atleast in my case, the SGT would be much more desireable, thus bringin a higher resale value. This should raise the value of the SGT higher then the Bullitt. Down the road maybe the SGT will have its own section in the used car books to make up for its value over a Mustang GT???? Who knows.......

I guess it all depends on who is placing a value on the two cars.....a dealer who have generally known very little about the product they sell or a collector/enthusiest who generally knows what hes looking at or talking about.

The key if you sell it would be to sell it to someone who knows what it is, not a dealer.

Just my thoughts, but again this isnt particularly my field of training.

+1

Not a professional in this field but I would think the Bullitt would bring a higher resale value to the uninformed. Reason is this. The Bullitt will most likely have a section dedicated to it in all the used car price books where the SGT may not, simply because the Bullitt is a production car built by Ford, like the SVT GT-500, who also has its section. This should give a value higher, to the Bullitt, then the Mustang GT, which most dealers would probably try to place the value of a SGT at. Now is where the true collectors and enthusiests come in. If you know what your looking at I know, atleast in my case, the SGT would be much more desireable, thus bringin a higher resale value. This should raise the value of the SGT higher then the Bullitt. Down the road maybe the SGT will have its own section in the used car books to make up for its value over a Mustang GT???? Who knows.......

I guess it all depends on who is placing a value on the two cars.....a dealer who have generally known very little about the product they sell or a collector/enthusiest who generally knows what hes looking at or talking about.

The key if you sell it would be to sell it to someone who knows what it is, not a dealer.

Just my thoughts, but again this isnt particularly my field of training.

The SGT does in fact have a price in the books, seen it, but did not see the Bullitt.

For what it's worth!

Yes they are numbered.

The number is on a plate on the strut tower.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone know if the 01/02 Bullitt's have significantly higher resale over a comparable stock GT (or compared to a Saleen or Roush)?

That ought to be a good measure for the future resale of the current Bullitt.

Ken

i am of the opinion that the bullit will not be as desirable or as valuable as any of the shelby's , further more the shelby gt has it's own vin # from shelby like the super snake and the gt500 kr. i have been collecting and brokering classic and muscle cars for over 26 years. over those years the shelby name has been a constant in muscle car values and staying power , even more so than the steve mcqueen 1968 bullit movie car. i would bet the house that the shelby name and it's products will stand the test of time just like it has over the last 40 years. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO COMBAT THE FACT OF THE SHELBY'S DOMINATING PRESENCE IN RACING HISTORY ; EVEN AGAINST THE COPO'S , YENKO'S , DODGES AND PLYMOUTH.

Scotty

It will be interesting to see how the trades / resales compare in 10-15 years.

Edit - I forget, how many Bullits were / are being made?

The total number was supposed to be 7700. However, Ford built around 5750 for '08 and less than 1500 for '09. Final numbers haven't been released (if they ever will).

+1 on the dealer being misinformed.

The SGT does in fact have a price in the books, seen it, but did not see the Bullitt.

For what it's worth!

What book did you see it in? Just curious cause I havent seen it and would be curious what its valued at......

KBB shows the values virtually the same

http://www.kbb.com/

SGT value is $100 more

KBB consumer edition is misinformed...go to a dealer that uses NADA guide.

The prices below are NADA retail on 08's. We know these are higher than average as new basic SGT's can be had for 33k new right? But this still illustrates that the Bullit is not valued as high as a Shelby.

Finding the value of anything is hard right now. I would be buying, not selling right now if you could swing it. Or at the very least just watching and waiting. I just bought a used vehice and I paid less than what the retail was by a very good amount, even with 7k of aftermarket mods, but other dealers did not want to discount the book values of the almost identical stock used vehicle. Go figure one had the same rig on the lot for almost a year and he wanted to sit on it. Too bad so sad.

Shop around and do not let them steal your trade, its the best way to make money selling cars, and that is buying them way below book.

Good luck and really go to many dealers before you make up your mind and buy something.

Bullitt= $26,900

http://www.nadaguides.com/usedcars.aspx?LI...-1&mi=10000

Shelby GT= $36,900

KBB consumer edition is misinformed...go to a dealer that uses NADA guide.

The prices below are NADA retail on 08's. We know these are higher than average as new basic SGT's can be had for 33k new right? But this still illustrates that the Bullit is not valued as high as a Shelby.

Finding the value of anything is hard right now. I would be buying, not selling right now if you could swing it. Or at the very least just watching and waiting. I just bought a used vehice and I paid less than what the retail was by a very good amount, even with 7k of aftermarket mods, but other dealers did not want to discount the book values of the almost identical stock used vehicle. Go figure one had the same rig on the lot for almost a year and he wanted to sit on it. Too bad so sad.

Shop around and do not let them steal your trade, its the best way to make money selling cars, and that is buying them way below book.

Good luck and really go to many dealers before you make up your mind and buy something.

Bullitt= $26,900

Shelby GT= $36,900

Yes, That site appears to show a more realistic difference.

I had a choice between the GT and Bullitt and went for the extra bucks about $7500 for the GT. My Ford dealer tells me book on the Bullitt is better on a trade. Can anybody confirm this?

Sounds like your salesperson was going to make a better commission on the Bullitt.

Not sure how a used Bullit could be worth so much when there are tons of new Bullits just sitting on the dealers lot with many incentives from Ford.

Steve

Just a few remarks. First, the Dodge Shelbys were built since the 60s. I believe they were built in LA, in the late 80"s. Second , the dealers all use the Kelly blue book, not the NADA. The SGT is not listed as a special, just a regular G.T. If you can convice the dealer to add the SAI markup stuff then you got a deal. Few will do that. SUDDEN.

IMHO I think that the 01-08-09 bullitt will be as desirable as a shelby gt down the road.... They are a very special car indeed with a very sinister look to them... But i dont think I myself will see these cars going for big money until maybe im like 80 years old and thats a dang good while....

Any one that would like to learn more about the BULLITT please go to www.imboc.com there is plenty of info on the BULLITT there....

Just a few remarks. First, the Dodge Shelbys were built since the 60s. I believe they were built in LA, in the late 80"s. Second , the dealers all use the Kelly blue book, not the NADA. The SGT is not listed as a special, just a regular G.T. If you can convice the dealer to add the SAI markup stuff then you got a deal. Few will do that. SUDDEN.

Sudden I am not sure what a SGT is worth and I really have no reason to care, except to give my two cents :hysterical:

But I have had dealers in the PNW use the NADA on my trades.

More importantly I was lead to understand that the consumer online edition of KBB is very different than what KBB tells the dealers.

Fact of the matter is that the SGT is not a GT, at the least it is an appearance package add with the C/S upfit from Ford. A used car manager could argue all day if he wanted, the SGT is worth more than a bullitt and especially a GT. These are not "custom" mods...which have no value to a dealer and can decrease the value of a trade. The add ons of these cars are "factory installed" by SAI.

A question I have is are any of the other new saleen, rousch, etc... mustangs worth more than a bullitt or a GT?

KBB is wrong on that website and a smart dealer could capitalize on that easily.

Maybe MM or another dealer here could check the Mannhiem results and let us know...or what they think...Cheers

Archived