TEAM SHELBY FORUM

BRAKES???? GT500 Take-offs or Baer or other??????????

Alright, I still can not figure out what Supercharger I want, although I am leaning towards the Whipple. I have done most of my cosmetic Mods, I am now looking to take the advice of many and get my Brakes prior to making up my mind on the Supercharger.

How do you all think the GT500 Take-offs compare to the Baer linked below or the Baer GT Plus sold by SAI. The GT500's would be the least expensive. The ones below are cheaper than the GT Plus, but seem like they may be better. I do not race or track so I do not need $4-5000 brakes, but I do want to be able to get brakes to handle the Supercharger. So far I am leaning towards the ones in the link below.

Also, what about the back Brakes?????

http://www.baer.com/announcements/20080627/index.php

Thank all

Bill

Hey there,

Even though I no longer work for Stillen, by far I would highly recomend the AP Racing kit (front and rear). After I get my business rolling and get myself out of debt to the point where I can afford a new Mustang/GT500 - that will be one of the first upgrades I will do.

Just my $.02 :)

Page

Hey there,

Even though I no longer work for Stillen, by far I would highly recomend the AP Racing kit (front and rear). After I get my business rolling and get myself out of debt to the point where I can afford a new Mustang/GT500 - that will be one of the first upgrades I will do.

Just my $.02 :)

Page

Page sold me my AP Racing set up. If you have never driven a car with them on, you cannot imagine what they are like. While they are expensive, what is it worth to you to be able to NEVER have a thought about your brakes, no matter what the conditions? My thought was I did not want to, ever, wish I had more brakes than what I had (as you get to the end of the straight-away).

Jim

Thanks all, I was just thinking even if I go with the GT500 Take Offs I am going to want the Slotted/Cross Drilled Rotors so I am not sure after that they are and less expensive than the others. I understand some say they crack, this should not be an issue with my type of driving. I would like to drop as much rotating mass as I can and the 2 piece Slotted/Cross Drilled do just that.

Looking around I found the Baer Shelby Extreme 6S for $2895 shipped, how hard are these to install myself?

Thanks all, I was just thinking even if I go with the GT500 Take Offs I am going to want the Slotted/Cross Drilled Rotors so I am not sure after that they are and less expensive than the others. I understand some say they crack, this should not be an issue with my type of driving. I would like to drop as much rotating mass as I can and the 2 piece Slotted/Cross Drilled do just that.

Looking around I found the Baer Shelby Extreme 6S for $2895 shipped, how hard are these to install myself?

wow, goin all out eh. I just bought the Pro plus 6P and am having Quantum install mine. Since your close you should see how much Tasca wants to install. I figure it prolly is not that bad to do, but if they do it I know I cant screw it up, and man oh man I sure want my brakes done right. It also gets noted in the registry if a Mod Shop does the install.

Chris

Guest hfrosso
Alright, I still can not figure out what Supercharger I want, although I am leaning towards the Whipple. I have done most of my cosmetic Mods, I am now looking to take the advice of many and get my Brakes prior to making up my mind on the Supercharger.

How do you all think the GT500 Take-offs compare to the Baer linked below or the Baer GT Plus sold by SAI. The GT500's would be the least expensive. The ones below are cheaper than the GT Plus, but seem like they may be better. I do not race or track so I do not need $4-5000 brakes, but I do want to be able to get brakes to handle the Supercharger. So far I am leaning towards the ones in the link below.

Also, what about the back Brakes?????

http://www.baer.com/announcements/20080627/index.php

Thank all

Bill

That's a nice brake kit ,just a (stupid) question is that price/kit for the front wheels only or is it front and rear??

nothing says front wheels only.

Thank's

That's a nice brake kit ,just a (stupid) question is that price/kit for the front wheels only or is it front and rear??

nothing says front wheels only.

Thank's

prices are for fronts only. The rears are due out in a couple of weeks, and are even higher.

Chris

I would stick with the one piece rotor for now. Save your money. Avoid the slotted drilled especially if you drive the way you said you did. The rapid heating and cooling cycles caused by point and shoot driving will definitely cause cracking.

As for the six pistons.. again save you cash and start upgrading suspension components instead, or maybe a set of track wheels/tires.

Colin Sebern

Griggs Racing

Archived