TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Lower Grill Too Long?

I odered my lower grill last week before I saw this thread. It showed up yesterday but I have not had a chance to measure it. Guess I'll tape it at lunch and see what I got.

Mine was 22in I then meausred the grille opening at 21 3/4. I was told that the latest run is having a problem which Shelby is now working to repair. If it does not fit give then a call to let them know.

Leroy

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading this I became curious. I too ordered my lower grill and but have not installed it yet so I called SPP and I just got off the Phone with Chris and he said that they have not had a problem, he said That They are Suppose to FIT snug. So I'm not sure what kind of problems some of you have had, if you have pictures please post so we can see for ourselves if they are too long.

After reading this I became curious. I too ordered my lower grill and but have not installed it yet so I called SPP and I just got off the Phone with Chris and he said that they have not had a problem, he said That They are Suppose to FIT snug. So I'm not sure what kind of problems some of you have had, if you have pictures please post so we can see for ourselves if they are too long.

Not sure what a picture will show. I think we'll just have to wait and see what we get!

I know at the 08 Birthday bash they had a black one for sale and I was able to slide it right into place on someone's car to see how it looked with no "snug fit" issues. But from the sound of people these are more than a "snug fit" but I will wait to hear the official word. :lurk:

:headscratch:

Mine was 22in I then meausred the grille opening at 21 3/4. I was told that the latest run is having a problem which Shelby is now working to repair. If it does not fit give then a call to let them know.

Leroy

Mine measures 22" also and my quick "fitment" test showes it will not fit. Snug would be one thing but 1/4" too long is a little beyond snug. I suppose I could shave an 1/8" off each side but I shouldn't have to do that. :rolleyes:

I do like in the installation instructions that came with it tho'. :hysterical:

Oh well at least I can install the billet hood pins and the wife got a nice pink tank top that looked a little small but I can live with that. :drool:

Leroy

After I started this thread, I emailed and called about the grill being too long. So, SPP was aware of the “problem” the day I started this. I was able to get mine to fit by shaving @1/8" off each side of the grill opening with a Dremel. I figured after waiting 2+ months to get one, it could be even longer to get a replacement.

I was down in Las Vegas for the race so I stopped by SPP and told them about the problem. Plus, I had more parts to pick up. I was told that the grill should have slipped right in without modification. Anyway, SPP (which is Scott Drake) has a new company making the grills and it looks like they are just about 1/4" to ½” too long. There is absolutely no way to "force them in" without either shaving the sides of the grill opening, or cutting down the grill. I would not do the latter, and shaving the grill opening was not that big of a deal.

Interesting. I don't think I'm going to take my time to try and grind down a part to fit when it should be manufactured to fit (and earlier ones did fit without any problem). If it doesn't fit I'll just return it.

Fit snug would mean I have to give it a tug to get it in and then have to push a little to get it out. These grills even when tugged will not go in, think round block square hole type fitment. As for dremeling down like some others said they did, no way am I modifying a 40K dollar car for a part designed to fit into it. Especially since they are limited production, I prefer to keep some value to my car. As for a pic, hard to take a picture, hold the grill since it won't slide in, and hold a camera.

I put mine in about 9 months ago or so. I don't remember having any issues of it being too tight or snug. In fact I believe there was enough clearance to require me having a steady grip on the grill to mark the holes for drilling. I wonder if they sent the grills out to another vendor and their "interpretation" of the drawing was different. I'm and engineer and you'd be surprised how new vendors will uncover errors or missing dimensions on drawings of parts that have been manufactured for years without a problem. Also, different vendors have different capabilities which reflect how the final product will turn out. The part may meet the drawing specs but still not be what you wanted.

Liar! :redcard:

:camera:

Well the fitment test on the tank top proved it was a little too small too but she said it will be fine as it's "just the Shelby washing shirt." Darn D's anyway....... B)

Shaving an 1/8 off the inside of the airdam is not the end of the world to me but the part should fit better than that imo. :shrug:

Mine arrived this past tuesday. It is the polished one. Mine too was about 1/4 inch too long. I took it to my belt sander to keep the fins as square to one another as possible. I did shave both sides to keep the length even as well. I just kept shaving it and checking it for size until I got it snug. Some guys may cringe when they read this but I waited long enough due to this part being on back order. I haven't fastened it into place yet but you cannot tell it was modified. And if this part is returned to the supplier, they'll probably just rework them the same way. Is it worth the time and hassle to send it back only to have the same issue? Good question. All I know is this worked for me and it looks great. But I will make the phone call anyway. This was total nonsense that an 80 dollar part wasn't part of the GT package in the first place!!

Mine arrived this past tuesday. It is the polished one. Mine too was about 1/4 inch too long. I took it to my belt sander to keep the fins as square to one another as possible. I did shave both sides to keep the length even as well. I just kept shaving it and checking it for size until I got it snug. Some guys may cringe when they read this but I waited long enough due to this part being on back order. I haven't fastened it into place yet but you cannot tell it was modified. And if this part is returned to the supplier, they'll probably just rework them the same way. Is it worth the time and hassle to send it back only to have the same issue? Good question. All I know is this worked for me and it looks great. But I will make the phone call anyway. This was total nonsense that an 80 dollar part wasn't part of the GT package in the first place!!

I'd do the same thing.

I spoke way too soon. I went out to see if mine would fit and wouldn't you know it is too long as well. Chris assured me that it is the correct size; YEAH RIGHT it will not fit unless you shave some off the grill or dremel the plastic bumper. I waited about 7 months for mine and to end up getting something that doesn't fit perfectly is not good. I would rather send it back and get the correct sized one but I do not want to wait another 7 months.

Yes I agree that this should have come on our cars to begin with, without it it looks like something is missing, I have had many people say are you missing something down there; shouldn't there be a grill there? And I say AAHHHH YEAH.........

Hey guys. If you do end up with a long grill insert, I wouldn't grind on the fascia. Gring the insert instead. It's cheaper in case anything goes wrong during modifying. Also, what happens in say ten years and you need to replace the insert for any reason. Then the new one you order will be sloppy because they probably will be making it to the proper length. Just something to think about.

Hey guys. If you do end up with a long grill insert, I wouldn't grind on the fascia. Gring the insert instead. It's cheaper in case anything goes wrong during modifying. Also, what happens in say ten years and you need to replace the insert for any reason. Then the new one you order will be sloppy because they probably will be making it to the proper length. Just something to think about.

That's a very good point.

I had ordered a new lower black grille before I put my car in storage. Did not have time to install it. This was back in Oct. last year. I was worried after reading the post about the size so went and got it out of the trunk and it measured 21 3/4 inches from end of fin to end of fin. Guess I got one of the last ones.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...
I had ordered a new lower black grille before I put my car in storage. Did not have time to install it. This was back in Oct. last year. I was worried after reading the post about the size so went and got it out of the trunk and it measured 21 3/4 inches from end of fin to end of fin. Guess I got one of the last ones.

Rick

I just did similar thing with Silver one I got from the big order that came in after Christmas. I staged mine in the opening without taking the honeycomb pieces off and could not see anything wrong with the width.

Really need to get some better weather and less house project work to get the Lisght and grille in. Today I did manage to get my Sequential Lights in. They are great!!!

Tom

As I stated above...I did have a long one and sanded down the fins. I finally fastened it into place last weekend. Looks really nice! That nasty looking hole is at last covered. I hope you all are having better luck with this issue now. Good luck

M

Chill and Jeff - I'm going to be optomistic for you. Maybe the reason you're waiting is because they are making the new ones to the right length. Hopefully you won't run into the issues some of us dealt with. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

M

Chill and Jeff - I'm going to be optomistic for you. Maybe the reason you're waiting is because they are making the new ones to the right length. Hopefully you won't run into the issues some of us dealt with. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

M

I suspect you're right. If they found an issue I'm sure they stopped shipping and will need to retool and make more. As long as I get it before our big show on Jun 7th I'll be happy! :happy feet:

With out little snow storm the other day I'm not going anywhere anytime soon!

:banghead:

Archived