TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Military Members

cleghornm

How many military members do we have and how many would like to see a tribute car just for us. Maybe one of the big Mustang tuners/makers could do something just for us... What are the other military members thoughts? :salute:

I"m retired air force and had a great career. that said, it's nice to be out. I wouldn't want my car to be in that theme after putting up with 21 years of that crap.

This Truck was at SEMA a couple years ago and has been on several car show circuits and even on TV. Its called Heroes has the 9/11 theme and Military all rolled into one.

0510tr_01_z%201999_chevy_silverado_extended_cab%20top_view.jpg

I'm currently on active duty and have been for the past 14 years or so. To answer the question; NO . I would not buy a military tribute mustang or any military tribute car for that matter. I'm proud of what I do / what i've done, but I don' t want it all over my car. My military career isn't the only thing that defines who I am and what I'm about. Its nice to not be immediatly recognized as a service member every now and then. I like to be "off duty" when I'm off duty. If my military affilation comes up in conversion then great, but if it doesn't, then I get to just be a normal guy for awhile.

Crap?

Yeah, my feelings exactly. I did 22 years active duty Navy and 4 years civil service. Why would anyone be so stupid as to let someone crap all over them for 21 years. I really wonder if he feels that way when he collects his health care benefits and cashes his monthly retirement check?

I"m retired air force and had a great career. that said, it's nice to be out. I wouldn't want my car to be in that theme after putting up with 21 years of that crap.

My dad felt the same way after 20 years of the AF.

As an AF brat we were transferred every couple of years and I went to 10 different schools, not fun!

Not to mention he was never home, he was gone flying most of the time.

My dad felt the same way after 20 years of the AF.

As an AF brat we were transfer every couple of years and I went to 10 different schools, not fun!

Not to mention he never home, he was gone flying most of the time.

I have 2 points of interest to mention. The military version- "the Liberator"

As for those who live and have grown up in a military family, you have had to make many sacrifices as have many families and I just wanted to take this opportunity to commend you for your service, sacrifice and dedication to your fellow man and our country. Standing up for what your believe in is never an easy task and ofton comes at great cost.

A couple of days ago my wife and I were discussing the tragic loss of yet another young serviceman who was defending his country and our freedom because he believed it was the right thing to do despite the risk.

My point is, service personnel who have sacrificed and given of them selves and thier families should never lack for any thing for the rest of thier lives, especially those who have given the ultimate sacrifice. I didn't serve in the military, I was too self centered, out partying to realise how important it was. What really chaps me is the illeagal's that do what they do. Sorry about getting off topic a bit but I just had to say this

As for those who live and have grown up in a military family, you have had to make many sacrifices as have many families and I just wanted to take this opportunity to commend you for your service, sacrifice and dedication to your fellow man and our country. Standing up for what your believe in is never an easy task and ofton comes at great cost.

A couple of days ago my wife and I were discussing the tragic loss of yet another young serviceman who was defending his country and our freedom because he believed it was the right thing to do despite the risk.

My point is, service personnel who have sacrificed and given of them selves and thier families should never lack for any thing for the rest of thier lives, especially those who have given the ultimate sacrifice. I didn't serve in the military, I was too self centered, out partying to realise how important it was. What really chaps me is the illeagal's that do what they do. Sorry about getting off topic a bit but I just had to say this

Thank you, for both your honesty AND your compassion!

I am retired Navy, almost 30 years, was in four different combat actions starting in Viet Nam and ending in Gulf War. While the idea of a "tribute" is lovely I really would like to see members of this forum and others writing and calling their senators and congressmen to solicite support for veterans and retirees. We take it in the shorts at every turn, the politicians stand up and beat their chest about how they are going to "protect" our rights and benifits then turn around and "trim" defense. The last time I re-enlisted was in 1978 (got commisioned in 83) the sales pitch was free dental and medical for the rest of your life for you and your wife. Well I'm here to tell ya 20% co pay and fighting TRICARE at every turn aint free. Dental? What dental!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I would do it all over again even knowing what I know now. The military is a great place but you have to dedicate yourself to the service to your contry philosophy. Not for everyone, not ment to be, but where else in the world can a balbing 42 year old farm boy that was the product of a one room elementary school drive an aircraft carrier into combat!

So for me...spend your time lobbying for promises that were/are made and not kept!

I'm currently on active duty and have been for the past 14 years or so. To answer the question; NO . I would not buy a military tribute mustang or any military tribute car for that matter. I'm proud of what I do / what i've done, but I don' t want it all over my car. My military career isn't the only thing that defines who I am and what I'm about. Its nice to not be immediatly recognized as a service member every now and then. I like to be "off duty" when I'm off duty. If my military affilation comes up in conversion then great, but if it doesn't, then I get to just be a normal guy for awhile.

Well said!

Yeah, my feelings exactly. I did 22 years active duty Navy and 4 years civil service. Why would anyone be so stupid as to let someone crap all over them for 21 years. I really wonder if he feels that way when he collects his health care benefits and cashes his monthly retirement check?

You don't get it obviously. Yes, I collect a retirement and have health care benifits I have to PAY for. They are not free. Even though I'm proud of my military career, I made a lot of sacrafices with deployments, mandatory assignments, and family separation in places most would not want to live. I put up with a lot of crap to serve my country,make a paycheck, and learn a skill. That doesn't mean I want it plastered all over my car. It's nice to just be normal, and not have my performance car be defined by my military career.

Rdragoo

He does get it! It's simple. If you don't want to display it, don't buy it. Simple?

Ford Blue Blood was promised a certain amount of "bennies" for his service, only for them to be downgraded after his commitment was satisfied. He's saying, a better tribute would be to call your congressman and stand up for vet benefits.

However, if I'm not mistaken, the purpose was of the thread was to find out if any military/retired were interested.

The answer in your case, apparently, is No.

I on the other hand wouldn't mind seeing a tribute, as would other active duty personnel I've spoken to. Military salary isn't huge, so they would like to see something under $40K. I would buy one provided the performance specs were adequate and the price wasn't unreasonable. (ain't gonna touch it if the dealers gonna add $10K+ just for the honor) :salute::salute:

Rdragoo

He does get it! It's simple. If you don't want to display it, don't buy it. Simple?

Ford Blue Blood was promised a certain amount of "bennies" for his service, only for them to be downgraded after his commitment was satisfied. He's saying, a better tribute would be to call your congressman and stand up for vet benefits.

However, if I'm not mistaken, the purpose was of the thread was to find out if any military/retired were interested.

The answer in your case, apparently, is No.

I on the other hand wouldn't mind seeing a tribute, as would other active duty personnel I've spoken to. Military salary isn't huge, so they would like to see something under $40K. I would buy one provided the performance specs were adequate and the price wasn't unreasonable. (ain't gonna touch it if the dealers gonna add $10K+ just for the honor) :salute::salute:

A better idea would be for Ford to offer a deep discount to military members on existing GT500's. That would be a real tribute. Considering the economy and that most dealers are hurting, I doubt you'll ever see it.

• 3 weeks later...

I am on active duty and have been for the past six years I've been stationed at fort bragg with the 82nd airborne Division and in italy with the 173rd Airborne Brigade and now back at Bragg with the 82nd

I have served three combat deployments two iraq and one afghanistan as far as a tribute goes i would not like to see one as far as it is concerned being overseas you can order a number of vehicles from different manufactures at discounted military prices which i was able to get my 09 gt at invoice

the only prob i had was trying to get a gt500 they were not available through that program as far as things go we all appreciate the thanks people give us sometimes its just nice to be the regular guy

what redragoo might also be referring to is the huge goat rodeo that is the military sometimes late hours, bad food, cramped quarters, incompatent idiots in charge based on seniority not skill, equipment by the lowest bidder, and constantly training for the war we just fought not the one ahead

but thats not to say i havent made some of the best friends of my life, not to mention my wife(soldier also), its been a fun ride but lol sometimes you have to wonder why some of our troops would rather be deployed sitting in harms way than back in garrison ( much of the crap rdragoo refers to stimulates those thoughts from troops)

so sorry off topic so no to the tribute car oh and the illegals that do what they do well im sure some of those fine boys in combat leading soldiers right now are doing what they do because someone else wouldnt step up

I am on active duty and have been for the past six years I've been stationed at fort bragg with the 82nd airborne Division and in italy with the 173rd Airborne Brigade and now back at Bragg with the 82nd

I have served three combat deployments two iraq and one afghanistan as far as a tribute goes i would not like to see one as far as it is concerned being overseas you can order a number of vehicles from different manufactures at discounted military prices which i was able to get my 09 gt at invoice

the only prob i had was trying to get a gt500 they were not available through that program as far as things go we all appreciate the thanks people give us sometimes its just nice to be the regular guy

what redragoo might also be referring to is the huge goat rodeo that is the military sometimes late hours, bad food, cramped quarters, incompatent idiots in charge based on seniority not skill, equipment by the lowest bidder, and constantly training for the war we just fought not the one ahead

but thats not to say i havent made some of the best friends of my life, not to mention my wife(soldier also), its been a fun ride but lol sometimes you have to wonder why some of our troops would rather be deployed sitting in harms way than back in garrison ( much of the crap rdragoo refers to stimulates those thoughts from troops)

so sorry off topic so no to the tribute car oh and the illegals that do what they do well im sure some of those fine boys in combat leading soldiers right now are doing what they do because someone else wouldnt step up

Coulden't agree more, at least the Army gets the latest equipment by the highest bidder, the Marines only get the old crap so we can polish and iron it all day, since digital como BDU's came out which you don't have the iron, and starch the marines have much more free time (this is a bad thing)!!! Having said that, no I would not like to see a military tribute, It would cause too many questions from too many people and i don't feel like telling the same stories over and over, and ansering the same questions each time someone sees my car. Just my 2cents, having said that on a USMC base there are usually only 2 types of cars, large trucks and mustangs.... and the trucks always have bumper stickers!

I've been inactive Marine Corps for a few years now... Seeing these tribute cars is pretty awesome, to me. The time and effort, perfection, is remarkable. I wouldn't necessarily do this with my vehicle.

You have to keep in mind though, that in some cases these cars are in direct tribute to lost family members, or friends. Would the average Joe consider doing this? Probably not... People do things for different reasons, as always.

Gabe

How many military members do we have and how many would like to see a tribute car just for us. Maybe one of the big Mustang tuners/makers could do something just for us... What are the other military members thoughts? :salute:

Retired U.S. Navy 30+ years. My dad was an Ace Fighter Pilot in WWII flying a P-51D Mustang. Check out the attached pic that someone did for my dad. I would give credit to the artist but he did not sign the print and I don't know his name.

Pretty cool. At 84, my dad would probably be pretty excited to have one of these parked in his driveway. post-24299-1238714002_thumb.jpg

Jim

post-24299-1238714002_thumb.jpg

I am active duty military and my SGT "is" a military edition vehicle.

1 of 2300(?) 08 SGTs

1 of 1854(?) Vista Blue SGTs

1 of 754(?) Vista Blue Convertible SGTs

1 of 67(?) 08 SGTs sold through Overseas Military Car Sales (with military discount to answer another question posed)

1 of 20 08 SGTs sold through Persian Gulf Military Car Sales (others went to Europe and Pacific)

Automatic transmission (limited to 25%) and Charcoal IUP(?) may make it 1 of 1 someday??? :happy feet:

My Shelby GT is an OIF "military" SGT with "bronze star" plates to top it off. Hooah!

I am active duty military and my SGT "is" a military edition vehicle.

1 of 2300(?) 08 SGTs

1 of 1854(?) Vista Blue SGTs

1 of 754(?) Vista Blue Convertible SGTs

1 of 67(?) 08 SGTs sold through Overseas Military Car Sales (with military discount to answer another question posed)

1 of 20 08 SGTs sold through Persian Gulf Military Car Sales (others went to Europe and Pacific)

Automatic transmission (limited to 25%) and Charcoal IUP(?) may make it 1 of 1 someday??? :happy feet:

My Shelby GT is an OIF "military" SGT with "bronze star" plates to top it off. Hooah!

Where are you stationed, APG?

Archived