TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TSB or new Tranny?

FiaCobra

Complete TSB or tranny replacement ?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Rebuild transmission to retain matching numbers
    • Forget numbers matching......get new transmission

Ok, if you had a choice of either getting the complete TSB performed, where they open up your original trans to replace the input shaft and synchros or.........they just replace your original transmission with a non numbers matching new one.

Oh, and if you opt for the new trans, they will not give you the original trans to keep. They'll have to return that to Ford.

So, what would you do if this was the choice given to you?

Well, I guess this poll is a moot point anyway. New trans on order for me.

I found the new transmission shifts much better from 4th to 5th at high rpms. I don't think Ford is sending these back for overhaul and they already have enough bad transmissions returned to have made good evalutions on solving future problems.

I would not give up on keeping the original either, several member here have kept the orignal after a new transmission was installed, so why would you not want to keep the original with the car? I kept mine.

post-5223-1235130858_thumb.jpg They are serialized to each car.

post-5223-1235130858_thumb.jpg

........ so why would you not want to keep the original with the car? I kept mine.

They are serialized to each car.

I know they're serialized to the car but, it's not up to me. The dealership said that they HAVE to send the original unit back hence the reason I started this poll.

Ok, if you had a choice of either getting the complete TSB performed, where they open up your original trans to replace the input shaft and synchros or.........they just replace your original transmission with a non numbers matching new one.

Oh, and if you opt for the new trans, they will not give you the original trans to keep. They'll have to return that to Ford.

So, what would you do if this was the choice given to you?

My Tranny was replaced in Sept of 06 with 540 miles on it....SVT wanted to take a look at it with all the same problems we still have today.... never even thought about matching #'s ...... just wanted it fixed and if it helped solve some future problems I was happy to help.... see how well that worked, Ken

I have not had any trouble with either of my GT500's (lucky?). What percentage of owners are having transmission, clutch, input shaft, etc. problems? Are the troubles from cars built on certain days, types of driving, maintenance, storage, usage or lack of, bad materials or? I am trying not to be to worried about this but several members are having real problems.

Are there any high mileage cars with no problems? Cars I have had in the past have had shudders in the clutch and seemed to fix themselves as I learned the use of them - they smoothed out and did fine. My '08 had a little clutch chatter until it smoothed itself out. Other mustangs I have had "fixed" themselves as I got better with them.

I do launch hard sometimes and do enjoy the power and acceleration from time to time. I want to find a strip to really learn to launch the car and get best times and enjoy it for what it is.

I hate that some owners are having real problems - I have been lucky and really love these cars. I don't want the troubles others are having - back to where I started. Is there a large percentage going through this? Should I expect it if I continue to drive the way I do? Will I get 80,000 miles out of the drive train?

I will continue to follow the troubles owners are having, I also want to keep track of owners who have no serious trouble.

Are there high mileage cars with no troubles and is this site tracking them? Good luck to those who are having theirs fixed and I hope they get everything right and enjoy their machine.

I elected to have the TSB done on mine and keep the original trans in my car. I also had the KR shifter put in when they did the TSB (didn't charge me anything extra as the trans was down) and the repair was outstanding. I love the way the car shifts and the clutch works. Seems to pull harder in second gear now. I have 5 friends that also have had the repair done and kept the trans and all have been successful so don't know why some of you are having problems unless you didn't have a master tech do the work..........

Archived