TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4.10 gear thoughts for S197 GT's

Five Oh B

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nicht. :baby:

My pockets aren't very deep.

I can't engage in a "who's the fastest" competition.

I called FAST today and they say their new intake for my 4.6 might run about $700. That will be about it.

Then it goes as it goes. If you're faster - good for you! :shift:

Nicht. :baby:

My pockets aren't very deep.

I can't engage in a "who's the fastest" competition.

I called FAST today and they say their new intake for my 4.6 might run about $700. That will be about it.

Then it goes as it goes. If you're faster - good for you! :shift:

With your cams and that intake it should make for a very nice combo............ :shift:

I'm definitely out of the running for fastest S197 GT. Poor working guy, here! The 4.10's go in tomorrow morning, though! That might be the last mod I can justify with the wife until springtime. If it runs low 13's at 101 + mph then I'll be happy at this point. And I'm not greedy; all I want is high 12's at around 107 + mph out of this car ultimately. New cams like the Rufstang should get me where I want to be. And if a supercharger just happens to accidently wind up on my car for Xmas, then I could be talked into settling for some low 12 second timeslips.....

Thanks!

It's gonna have to do!

But - you know what?

It's a good feeling having a faster car than someone else.

But it's a much more satisfying feeling having someone roll down their window at a stoplight and say something like, "Nice car, man." And then give a thumbs up!

That feels very - very good!

Anybody can write a check to make a car fast.

Not everybody has what it takes to get a compliment! :shift:

:hysterical:

A no-brainer.

I might have an edge with design talent (maybe) - but I have no doubt about the driving edge. Fiveoh gets the edge!

But - I'm ready to learn!

And - I think the chicks at Hooters might be spending more time around the Rufstang?....Very subjective stuff!

:hysterical:

A no-brainer.

I might have an edge with design talent (maybe) - but I have no doubt about the driving edge. Fiveoh gets the edge!

But - I'm ready to learn!

And - I think the chicks at Hooters might be spending more time around the Rufstang?....Very subjective stuff!

Bryan, your car looks awesome. I've shown pics of it to my wife a few times to gauge her reaction to doing a couple of the many (but subtle) things you've done. I admire how restrained your car's cosmetic mods are. Kinda reminds me of how Chip Foose will totally change something, but do it in a subtle way that makes you wonder what's been changed from stock, even though it's obvious that it's different.

Counting down the hours how. Dropped off my GT 2 hours ago at our shop for the 4.10 install. Hoping to get it back later today, but it may not be finished until tomorrow morning. I changed the speedo calibration for the 4.10's before dropping the car off this morning, so once our tech is done putting the gears in and road testing it, there will be nothing left to do except drive the snot out of it!

Excellent! I can't wait for your impressions.

I had a brief encounter with a stock looking GT yesterday - I think he was surprised by my 1st and 2nd gears! (he picked on me - I didn't rev on him!)

Mirrors get painted next week - the lower stainless grill should be ready this week. That's about it until the FAST intake!

Thanks for the nice words, FiveOh -

So, Bryan, have you driven in the rain with the 4.10 gears in your car and the traction control left on? I ask as it is pouring down rain here (we're in the middle of three big storms rollin' through), and the 4.10's are in my GT now. If I give it any decent throttle taking off (with TC on), then when the tires start to spin the computer reacts very violently (reducing timing & fuel, and hitting the brakes as needed) and I feel like I'm gonna hit the steering wheel. With the factory gears, the computer keep the tire spin in check much more gently.

With the TC off (keep in mind it's raining a lot here), my GT is sideways in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and I'm not risking a high rpm 3-4 shift to see if 4th will go sideways, too. I'm sure it would, though. With the factory gears and tune, in the rain with the TC off, 1st gear might a little sideways, but 2nd/3rd wouldn't slip at all.

Now if it'll just stop raining for a day or two so I can experience the 4.10's on dry pavement, I'll be able to race the guy who bought my '03 Mach 1 to see if I'm close to acceleration I'm accustomed to!

Easy now, big fella!

Really sorry about the rain. But I guess that's what happens in your zip code.

I never, ever, drive with the TCS on. I turn it off before I move.

So - I can't answer your questions.

I just "take her easy" in the wet.

I can say, however, that this thing wants to move out with very little provocation!

Tomorrow night's dyno numbers will perhaps support this.

Throttle response with the Tune is much better - as you know.

This drive by wire crap - sucks.

I want throttle response and I want it now!

I'm finding it easier to get to know the throttle vis a vie downshifts with the Tune.

From 5th to 4th before was a joke.

I hope it dries out for you soon, man. I can't WAIT to hear your comments.

Dyno Day is tomorrow!! :hyper: :hyper:

Bryan, hopefully the dyno day bodes well for you today!

And you must have some pull with the big guy upstairs as the clouds parted this morning and the it's nothing but blue sky today! The roads have dried up, so I took the GT out for awhile to test the new 4.10's.

First off, it spins just enough at launch from idle to get the car moving and the engine into the powerband. However, if I engine-brake the car up to the new 2500 rpm stall speed it's gonna roast the tires. Any excursions to the drag strip are gonna necessitate drag radials!

Secondly, I was fooling myself when I thought I could manually shift the automatic. Oh yeah, it can be done, but the car rips through each gear so quickly now that I'm bouncing off the rev limiter before I can move the shifter. That means I gotta just leave well enough alone and leave it in Drive.

Impressions? Talk about night and day difference! The Predator tune already took the slop out of the drive-by-wire, and it also made for the higher stall speed with the torque converter. Line pressure is up so the shifts are firm and crisp (much like a stage-II-style street/strip valve body from the old days would have done). The 4.10 gears get this car off the line much better (heavy cars really need a lot of gear!) and it rips through the gears very quickly now - almost too quickly (is that possible?).

Man, I can't wait until the track opens. I have no baseline #'s for my car, but enough magazines tested the 2005+ GT automatics and they say they run 13.6 to 14.0 in the 1/4 mile at around 99 mph. I've owned enough low, mid, and high 13 second cars to know that's about right. With the tune and gears, it's really feeling like there's a low 13 at roughly 102 mph to be had at the track. I predict a 13.30 @ 102 mph on the factory rubber, or 13.10 @ 102 mph on drag radials.

Thanks for talking me into the 4.10's, guys!

Sorry for the late reply - I've - once again - stopped getting email notifications...??

Glad you like 'em! Bang for the buck - gears are a good bet.

I've got a neighbor whose son just put 4:30's in his 04 Mach1 - yikes! Manual shift.

I don't like TCS at all - I think it's unsafe. I had left it on once in the wet and went to turn across traffic into a parking lot and the flippin' Brakes Come On!

I've been driving for about 40 years - 20 in big trucks - never had an accident. I don't need help from a computer now.

As far as C&D saying launching a Shelby is easier with it left on....That's The Whole Point! Use your talent to launch it!

Gotta go watch the end of the Race.

So Five-Oh-B, you would recommend the 4.10's over 3.73's? I will never take it to the strip but would like a quick launch and I hear you big time about getting a fat car off the line. What do your guru's say about the handling package and a ragtop?

The heavier the car, the more I recommend steeper gears. 4.10's are pushing it in an automatic GT - almost 3,000 rpm's at 80 mph, but a manual-trans GT has more overdrive so 4.10's would be no problem (.68 for the manual, .71 for the automatic). My '03 Mach 1 had 4.30 gears, but also had a .62 overdrive, so it would drop rpm's big-time when you shifted into 5th!

If you think you'll ever supercharge the car, you won't really need anything past a 3.73 gear. If it's gonna stay relatively stock, go with as much gear as you can stand to hear windin' out on the highway.

Mine is getting a blower alright - it's just a matter of time. My timing will go something like this: The new wheels and rubber go on first. Then, when it gets a little tame to me (will that ever happen?), I'll go with the second phase: CAI, headers, the 3.73's, FRPP axle back Borla stingers, and a tune. Then when THAT gets a little tame or 50,000 miles, whichever comes last, the blower goes on.

Now, about that handling package on the ragtop.......

Mine is getting a blower alright - it's just a matter of time. My timing will go something like this: The new wheels and rubber go on first. Then, when it gets a little tame to me (will that ever happen?), I'll go with the second phase: CAI, headers, the 3.73's, FRPP axle back Borla stingers, and a tune. Then when THAT gets a little tame or 50,000 miles, whichever comes last, the blower goes on.

Now, about that handling package on the ragtop.......

I just put the WMS CAI on mine and it definitely feels stronger, but I won't know until I get it retuned on the dyno. I'm hoping to squeeze that in this week - if so, I'll resurect my Rat's Ride thread with the new data. Luckily, I was tuned slightly rich already, so I think the bigger MAF leaned it into a sweat spot.

For handling, all you really need is a good set of springs, and I also recommend the strut tower brace. I put that on when I did the WMS and it definitely improved the handling and rigidity.

which MAF are you using? I heard that there are some that aren't exactly accurate when you start moving lots of air down the pipe. I'm definitely going with the brace but was wondering about the bigger sway bars. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the brace when the blower goes on.

You work at Lone Star Ford?

which MAF are you using? I heard that there are some that aren't exactly accurate when you start moving lots of air down the pipe. I'm definitely going with the brace but was wondering about the bigger sway bars. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the brace when the blower goes on.

You work at Lone Star Ford?

The actual sensor for the MAF is transplanted from the stock unit to whichever new one you go with. That sensor is calibrated for the stock unit. Most CAI use a larger MAF pipe so more air flows through it than the sensor thinks which will cause the A/F to lean out. That is why you absolutely must recalibrate when you upgrade the pipe. It's not that the new unit is inaccurate, it is simply a matter of recalibration.

Sway bars will improve handling beyond what just springs and a brace will, it just depends on how far you want to take it, or how hard you plan to drive it.

yes, Lone Star Ford is my second home. If you're local, I can put you in touch with our guru. The guy is very good, and we have customers in Florida that routinely pay him to fly to Miami to tune and mod their Ford GT's (tough life, I know).

I've read good things about the WMS front mounted CAI, and like the simplicity of design versus the fender/side mounted stock-style CAI's. I was leaning heavily toward the WMS piece, then yesterday I read a write up on the Granatelli CAI with their own twin-62mm throttle body. They also provide new MAF electronics instead of having you reuse the factory piece (that would be a small fish in a big pond, so to speak). The new MAF electronics are calibrated for the bigger tube diameter and flow so that a computer reflash isn't needed as the MAF will read correctly. Their performance gains sound very optimistic (40hp and 37.5 lb ft torque on a bone stock 05 Mustang GT), but it has me wondering if anyone has tried this setup to verify their claims?

First off, I've read the very same thing, secondly it's a pricy unit I've heard around 600.00 I don't know if that is true or not, and thirdly let me know if you have found anyone that carries it because I have yet to find a company other than it's own who sells it to the public.

Archived