TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Has anyone heard from Chip Beck ?

Lgs ShelbyGT

From our thread about Mac....

"Chip Beck....Anyone hear from him lately too?

It was always good to read his posts, he is smart and had a way with journalism."

So, we should attempt to find out how Chip is doing too.....

Anyone?

Lg

I was in touch with Chip yesterday. I will let him tell his story when he is ready. It is best said that his January turned out to be the worst month a son could ever face. He promised he would be back in the near future. He just has a lot on his plate right now . . . .

Jim

I was in touch with Chip yesterday. I will let him tell his story when he is ready. It is best said that his January turned out to be the worst month a son could ever face. He promised he would be back in the near future. He just has a lot on his plate right now . . . .

Jim

Gentlemen,

January indeed was a disastrous month for me. Most members of this forum already know about my moms death. On January 6 I drove her to the Arizona Heart Institute Hospital. We laughed and joked and she was in such great spirits. She told me in her typically optimistic fashon, “I am not expecting any complications and I'm looking forward to getting this procedure behind me”. I held her in my arms and told her how much I loved her, and that I would be sitting right here in the waiting room so I could talk to her doctors when she came out. When things took longer than expected I grew concerned and finally a young nurse came out to tell me that things were not going well but they were doing all they could. The look on that nurses face told me far more than the words she spoke. I called my sister's and told them to get down here now and then my next calls were to father Thomas Hever, my pastor, and to Jessica Navarro, my son's former nanny, who is a genuine prayer warrior. I could not reach either one. And so I sat alone, and prayed the most fervent prayers of my entire life. I needed a miracle and I needed it right now. I didn't get it. When the doctors came out and told me that my mama had not made it……..that they were not able to put her heart back together, they broke my heart as well. But today, I realize that God did bless me with my miracle. A miracle born in Missouri many years ago, a miracle I have enjoyed for over 52 years now, a miracle that he called home January 6. I buried my mom on January 12.

Within days and after a long struggle with declining health my wonderful dad's health declined precipitously. He died at 7:45 p.m. on January 31. I had been visiting with him every day for an hour or more. I stayed with him until the mortuary came to take his body away. On February 7 my dad was buried with full military honors. Dad and I had a good run over the last 53 years. My father was 83 years old. He told me he didn't think he'd ever live to see the day when the Arizona Cardinals would be playing in the Super Bowl. He was right, but just barely. Back in the day, Bud Beck was a lion in Arizona society. When he threw a party at his estate up on Camelback Mountain, everybody who was anybody wanted to be there. As a kid I marveled at how he seemed to know every body. No matter where we traveled, even in Europe, we never walked in to a restaurant where somebody didn't say, "Bud!.....how the hell are you?" Dad was a World War II Army paratrooper veteran, a graduate of the University of Arizona, and the founding Pontiac-GMC Truck dealer in Scottsdale, Arizona. I love him, I admire him, and I'm sure going to miss him. Godspeed dad.

Attached below is one of my favorite photos of my father and myself. It was taken in 1978 during the 18th Annual Bud Beck Invitational Dove Shoot. If you look closely you'll see a man sitting in the back seat of that 1978 Pontiac Bonneville. His name is Dick Capp "Cappy", one of my father's best friends and the man who taught me how to shoot when I was a very young boy. After the picture was taken I turned and looked at Cappy as he had been sitting there staring at those Arizona mountains for some time. I asked him what he was looking at and he told me, "I'm enjoying this magnificent view as I only come out here to Arizona once a year to shoot birds with you. I'm taking it all in because you never know when a special event will be your last." A couple months after this photo was taken Cappy died of a heart attack. Even in this tough economy I hope all my friends are enjoying the magnificent view.

Chip

post-12804-1234984501_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1234984512_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1234984501_thumb.jpg

post-12804-1234984512_thumb.jpg

Chip, my most heart felt condolances to you and your family in this tragic time.

Your words are special as was your Mother and Father.

No doubt they are filled with pride as they look down upon you now.

Yes.

Chip, know that the people here are thinking of you with respect and condolences at this sad time.

Dan

Chip - Thanks for letting this Shelby family in your personal life. We all felt the saddness and all shared our views about it.

Take care-

Dave

PS: I will be in Phoenix in the next 2 months. I don't have an exact date yet but when I do I'll PM you and hopefully we can get together for some dinner and I can see the famous Chip Beck garage!

Chip,

First, thanks to your dad for his service in the second war to end all wars. I have the honor of knowing two - one at Iwo Jima and one on D-Day - and having met Sgt. June, one of the original 29 Code Talkers - this was the generation that gave us America.

I was hoping that you would be around during the BJ Auction and now I know why you weren't.

For you and yours our thoughts are with you.

Chip:

I am sorry to hear about your Dad. I am always at a loss for words during times like this.

It is good to see that you are strong in your faith and know that both of your parents are with God.

Your experiences with you Dad remind me of my Dad. I can not imagine what you have been through.

Stay strong and know that they are with the Lord our God.

Larry

Chip,

The loss of one parent is devastating; to loose both in such a short time period is unimaginable.

The grief is like waves in the ocean, unceasing. Over time, the time between each wave lengthens which does help, but it never goes away.

Thank you for sharing the wonderful pictures of your Mom & Dad with You. They are priceless.

Lg

Archived