TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A reply to Dennis Gomes

FRPP Says not to install the 550 kit on automatics because the transmission will not handle it and therefore they do not make a calibration for it, which is why this can't be offered at Shelby. Ford Racing would also not recommend putting Kenne Bell on an automatic. Ford Racing is on the conservative side when it comes to these things, as Jared stated Whipple, Lethal and Tasca all have installed 550 kits on automatics with no issues and the calibration comes right from Whipple. The warranty would also be void by any Ford Dealership if you drove in there with a Kenne Bell.

I did say there are inconsistencies with the KB and I am sorry for not clearing this up. When calibrating the 05+ Mustangs there are a few very important things to keep in mind, In order for the control system to function properly each subcomponent must be characterized using the proper testing procedures, as well as special post processing tools. Once the foundation is established the rest of the control system should be able compensate and adjust for all changing conditions.

Unfortunately, the base Mustang calibration is not able to cope with large changes in hardware like big throttle bodies and very different blower setups without a new foundation. In other words, simply hacking existing tables and scalars developed from the factory calibration can easily lead to system performance degradation in many areas which can include diagnostics, idle speed control, and deceleration which are not usually considered when only considering wide-open throttle performance. So pretty much unless calibrated by Ford, Roush or Whipple you don't know what TUNERS are doing to the factory systems, therefore causing tuning inconsistencies.

Kenne Bell uses a MAFia instead of making the proper size MAF housing, a MAFia is very unreliable and would never ever be approved by Ford. A MAFia extends the Mass Air Flow Voltage to trick the PCM into running correctly.

Kenne Bell also uses their Boost-A-Pumps which in long term shortens pump life, provides inconsistent fuel pressure, also causes surging at times while at cruise and is another product which wouldn't be approved by FRPP.

We are very lucky to be a Authorized Mod Shop however at Tasca we take pride in the name and are all about customer satisfaction, if you have a 550 Ford Racing Whipple kit installed here or any product we support we will to some extent provide a warranty and excellent customer service at that. Unfortunately if we were installing Bells we would not be able to provide this same service, I really wish everyone can understand our point of view and not bash what we are all about. Thanks so much

Dennis

Dennis thank you so much for answering my questions. I didn't mean for this thing to get out of hand, I am sure you guys run a great shop, unfortunately for me, I have been saving my cash for about a year, in order to get my supercharger, and then when I finally have enough the price of the Whipple went up. So I had heard good things from other forum members about the KB and it is right in the price range I want to be at. I just wish I had the extra $$$ or that you guys offered the KB kit, it would be so much easier for me to drive to tasca then go to Texas.

Again thanks for taking your time to clear this up.

Dave

To who ever removed the original topic, there was no need for that, we are all adults here and as you can see, we can come to an understanding.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dennis thank you so much for answering my questions. I didn't mean for this thing to get out of hand, I am sure you guys run a great shop, unfortunately for me, I have been saving my cash for about a year, in order to get my supercharger, and then when I finally have enough the price of the Whipple went up. So I had heard good things from other forum members about the KB and it is right in the price range I want to be at. I just wish I had the extra $$$ or that you guys offered the KB kit, it would be so much easier for me to drive to tasca then go to Texas.

Dave

To who ever removed the original topic, there was no need for that, we are all adults here and as you can see, we can come to an understanding.

+1 Dave

Dave

I agree with you on that and may be add that the statement about the boost a pump reducing the fuel pump life and that K/B uses a MAFia instead of making the proper size MAF and uses Voltage to trick the PCM into running incorrectly may have also contributed to its removal, but then again may be not. I suggest that you check out the K/B site and read the section under FAQs and form your own conclusion. Could make for some good feed back and comments.

+1 Dave

Not only was it unnecessary, it's a giant step backward, imo. What's needed is for someone to take a moment to explain why the thread was deleted, imo. There was much good dialog in that thread -- gone!

I can only wonder if someone at KB got their shorts in a knot (once again) over seeing some statements that they might be frustrated with? I hope not ...opinions differ and the truth cannot be stifled. In the past, various technical and philosophical positions have been respectfully aired, no differently than they were in the deleted thread (unless I missed something). If that's not it, why keep us guessing and speculating? Is it not clear from the past the frustration and animosity such unexplained actions invariably create? I thought this was how things were going to be.

And everyone was being truly reserved and respectful. No one posted the widely seen comparo between the KB and Whipple that shows just how 'minimal' (being kind) the KB kit/design is compared to the Whipple. Hey, I don't have any association with KB, Whipple, Eaton, Ford, or anyone else, and everyone knows I love the TVS, but I'm not blind either ...it is how it is. Maybe whoever decided to pull the thread doesn't quite understand how it is? I'm at a loos ...honestly. If this site has a list of sacred cows, just let us know who they are and I'm sure everyone will dutifully tiptoe around them and talk in PMs or e-mail if necessary -- no one likes this childish thread-delete crap ...sorry, just being honest.

Look, many were of the opinion that the wrong choice was made for the SS725, but we all understand the how CARB suspended their process when a now defunct (and unrelated) corporation was caught lying on their certifications, which iheld up the TVS. Yet, everyone respected the decision and responsibly limited their heart-felt dissent to the more mundane issues of stripe color and such.

This deleted thread could have just been "closed" if it had gotten out of hand, which it never did, but deleting it without saying anything is just plain disrespectfull, imho.

Hopefully this post is taken in the spirit it is intended. Now, please, can we have a few words on what the problem was so it can be avoided in the future? Isn't that the truthfull, honest, forthright, adult thing to do? Or did someone just hit the wrong button or something and it was all a big mistake :headscratch:

Not only was it unnecessary, it's a giant step backward, imo. What's needed is for someone to take a moment to explain why the thread was deleted, imo. There was much good dialog in that thread -- gone!

I can only wonder if someone at KB got their shorts in a knot (once again) over seeing some statements that they might be frustrated with? I hope not ...opinions differ and the truth cannot be stifled. In the past, various technical and philosophical positions have been respectfully aired, no differently than they were in the deleted thread (unless I missed something). If that's not it, why keep us guessing and speculating? Is it not clear from the past the frustration and animosity such unexplained actions invariably create? I thought this was how things were going to be.

And everyone was being truly reserved and respectful. No one posted the widely seen comparo between the KB and Whipple that shows just how 'minimal' (being kind) the KB kit/design is compared to the Whipple. Hey, I don't have any association with KB, Whipple, Eaton, Ford, or anyone else, and everyone knows I love the TVS, but I'm not blind either ...it is how it is. Maybe whoever decided to pull the thread doesn't quite understand how it is? I'm at a loos ...honestly. If this site has a list of sacred cows, just let us know who they are and I'm sure everyone will dutifully tiptoe around them and talk in PMs or e-mail if necessary -- no one likes this childish thread-delete crap ...sorry, just being honest.

Look, many were of the opinion that the wrong choice was made for the SS725, but we all understand the how CARB suspended their process when a now defunct (and unrelated) corporation was caught lying on their certifications, which iheld up the TVS. Yet, everyone respected the decision and responsibly limited their heart-felt dissent to the more mundane issues of stripe color and such.

This deleted thread could have just been "closed" if it had gotten out of hand, which it never did, but deleting it without saying anything is just plain disrespectfull, imho.

Hopefully this post is taken in the spirit it is intended. Now, please, can we have a few words on what the problem was so it can be avoided in the future? Isn't that the truthfull, honest, forthright, adult thing to do? Or did someone just hit the wrong button or something and it was all a big mistake :headscratch:

Dan,

I believe your opinion as to why the thread was closed was dead on. There's no need to go any further than that.

Jared

Dave

I think many got the wrong idea on the price increase, and it was not an easy decision. We actually gave any that were calling a fair warning, if I remember correctly, we sent a letter to dealers and anyone who called were notified that "on this date, the price will increase". As I said previously, we were actually selling at a loss for a short time. We 100% understand if someone buys one of or another, thats the nature of the business, but we feel strongly that there is nothing comparable to our FRPP550 kit and by our calculations, it's the best HP vs. dollar of all the positive displacement systems. KB, Saleen (or now Power-Tec), etc. all make nice systems and really, with every system, there's advantages/disadvantages that the consumer must determine.

Thanks,

Dustin

I think many got the wrong idea on the price increase, and it was not an easy decision. We actually gave any that were calling a fair warning, if I remember correctly, we sent a letter to dealers and anyone who called were notified that "on this date, the price will increase". As I said previously, we were actually selling at a loss for a short time. We 100% understand if someone buys one of or another, thats the nature of the business, but we feel strongly that there is nothing comparable to our FRPP550 kit and by our calculations, it's the best HP vs. dollar of all the positive displacement systems. KB, Saleen (or now Power-Tec), etc. all make nice systems and really, with every system, there's advantages/disadvantages that the consumer must determine.

Thanks,

Dustin

Dustin,

On another note will there be a strut tower brace that will fit which you know of in the future for those of us owning your 550?

Thanks

Jason

BTW - that "widely seen side-by-side comparo of the Whipple and the KB" WAS posted in that deleted thread.

There may have been some . . . . . Professional lines corssed there. . . . . . purely speculating - and not trying

to stir the pot here. Some very compelling, though heated indeed, but very useful and well thought out opinions

were posted in that thread.

I can speak for MYSELF - I wasn't intending for that thread to become a witch hunt for answers from the top of

either/any supercharger manufacturer......nor was I hoping that it would turn into an all out battle royal of

Apples Vs. Oranges. . . Apples got a computer named after them - Oranges. . . . . well. . . . they got the

2008 Shelby GT-C in Grabber "Orange"

Sorry for the dry humor there - just trying to lighten this situation up a little.

Trevor

Thanks,

Dustin

Dustin, can you clarify some things for me... on the FRP website all the FRP 400HP versions are approved for street use but all the 550HP versions are off-road only (not for use on polution controlled vehicles). So even though the CARB EO accepts that is doesn't defeat any OBD-II controls, that would still mean you can't legally use it under Federal law on the street. :headscratch:

Also, if you go to the CA.gov CARB EO D-231-28 (pg4) you'll see anomolies in the Whipple filling which list it for use on the fictitous '05-'09 5.4L 3V Mustang (lol) :headscratch: and, thankfully, on the 4.6L 3V Mustang too. How could the filing certified it was tested on a car that doesn't exist?

Also, no matter which S/C-pulley/damper-pulley combo you put on (several are listed), it produces the same 13# boost :headscratch: ...is that because the tune opens the bypass at 13# or... ?

Anyhow, I've been meaning to ask about these things for months and keep forgetting.

-Dan

Dustin, can you clarify some things for me... on the FRP website all the FRP 400HP versions are approved for street use but all the 550HP versions are off-road only (not for use on polution controlled vehicles). So even though the CARB EO accepts that is doesn't defeat any OBD-II controls, that would still mean you can't legally use it under Federal law on the street. :headscratch:

Also, if you go to the CA.gov CARB EO D-231-28 (pg4) you'll see anomolies in the Whipple filling which list it for use on the fictitous '05-'09 5.4L 3V Mustang (lol) :headscratch: and, thankfully, on the 4.6L 3V Mustang too. How could the filing certified it was tested on a car that doesn't exist?

Also, no matter which S/C-pulley/damper-pulley combo you put on (several are listed), it produces the same 13# boost :headscratch: ...is that because the tune opens the bypass at 13# or... ?

Anyhow, I've been meaning to ask about these things for months and keep forgetting.

-Dan

Dan,

I just reviewed the site and no where could I find that its for off road use only. The EO is D-231-28, this superseeds all previous EO's. It covers the Mustang from 2005-2009. The Shelby GT500 is D-231-29 which covers 2007-2009. The 550hp kit is 100% 50-state legal, and all kits are shipped with the emissions decal with the proper information.

As for the boost levels, this is was CARB requested, leave the max boost level and just list the pulley diameters that are approved. Boost varies so its to some degree impossible to exactly correspond the pulley size to each boost level. Therefore, the max boost is whats tested, and approved and larger diameter pulleys are included, as they have lower emissions with the lower boost levels. Technically speaking, some other mfg's that only list 1 pulley are only certified with that pulley. If you want to go up or down in boost, it's not certified and therefore should fail the inspection.

As for the fictious Mustang, it's actually the F150/F250 that is covered with the 5.4L 3v.

Thanks,

Dustin

-Dan

I looked a bit harder, at the very bottom of the screen, it says this, but it says it on all the kits that I clicked on. But in the features, it list the EO, so this is just a error on the bottom of the page.

Dustin

I can't believe the powers that be ordered that thread to be removed . Yet another attempt by TS to suppress the truth when the light it sheds is not favorable to a product or a policy in effect at SAI.

It was a disgraceful deed and disrespectful to all TS members especially the ones who took the time to participate in an honest and informative dialog about an interesting technical issue.

At best it was morally wrong and intellectually dishonest .

For those interested here is the PDF on the Whipple Vs Kenny Bell Comparo .

For those interested you can see for yourself why the Whipple SC , Lower intake, fuel system, MAF system is superior to the Kenny Bell.

If it is removed again I believe we will all know why.

Whipple_and_KB_Comparo_4.6_engine.pdf

Whipple_and_KB_Comparo_4.6_engine.pdf

I looked a bit harder, at the very bottom of the screen, it says this, but it says it on all the kits that I clicked on. But in the features, it list the EO, so this is just a error on the bottom of the page.

Dustin

I don't think it's an error -- it's listed that way on all the 550 kits (and 80% of all parts on the FRP site) and street legal on the 400 kits. CARB doesn't actually certify or approve anything. All they do is permit for sale in CA an item after there's an executive order signed that waives the state restriction on any engine modification whatsoever -- the EO merely states that the filer certifies the product doesn't disable any OBD-II functions and exhibits sub-max emissions for the Federal emisions class (e.g. LEV/ULEV-II). So CARB is merely saying you filled the proper paperwork to sell it in CA. They do absolutely no testing. So if it wasn't street legal to begin with (assuming FRP is correct), then CARB filing just means it's legal to apply that mod for off-road use in California too. On the FRP site, all mods that are legally installable on polution controlled vehicles for on-highway use have a big white check-mark in a blue circle next to them, and all that don't just have a tiny red asterisk next to the part number under Tech Notes and the obscure footnote you saw saying they're for off-road use only. Almost every exhaust mod falls in that category too (there are a few that don't). I suspect no one pays attention to it because there's no federal agent at the local state inspection test and if it passes (and in CA has the CARB EO#), everyone's happy ...still not legal under the Federal Polution Control Standards except for ORV use. Happily this 'loophole' has existed for years.

Yeah, I figured the 5.4L 3V Mustang was just an error ...amazing the CARB bureaucrats missed that (lol) ...shows how carefully they check. ;-)

Thanks for the insight on the pulleys ..makes sense.

Dan

I don't think it's an error -- it's listed that way on all the 550 kits (and 80% of all parts on the FRP site) and street legal on the 400 kits. CARB doesn't actually certify or approve anything. All they do is permit for sale in CA an item after there's an executive order signed that waives the state restriction on any engine modification whatsoever -- the EO merely states that the filer certifies the product doesn't disable any OBD-II functions and exhibits sub-max emissions for the Federal emisions class (e.g. LEV/ULEV-II). So CARB is merely saying you filled the proper paperwork to sell it in CA. They do absolutely no testing. So if it wasn't street legal to begin with (assuming FRP is correct), then CARB filing just means it's legal to apply that mod for off-road use in California too. On the FRP site, all mods that are legally installable on polution controlled vehicles for on-highway use have a big white check-mark in a blue circle next to them, and all that don't just have a tiny red asterisk next to the part number under Tech Notes and the obscure footnote you saw saying they're for off-road use only. Almost every exhaust mod falls in that category too (there are a few that don't). I suspect no one pays attention to it because there's no federal agent at the local state inspection test and if it passes (and in CA has the CARB EO#), everyone's happy ...still not legal under the Federal Polution Control Standards except for ORV use. Happily this 'loophole' has existed for years.

Yeah, I figured the 5.4L 3V Mustang was just an error ...amazing the CARB bureaucrats missed that (lol) ...shows how carefully they check. ;-)

Thanks for the insight on the pulleys ..makes sense.

Dan

Dan there is no loophole they are legal for our cars in 50 states...period.

What a bummer. I was actually learning a few things on that thread. While I'm not fortunate enough to be able to put a SC on any time soon, I want to learn all I can. This includes facts, user opinions, installer opinions, anyone's opinion. I think I'm capable of doing my own analysis of the information and reaching my own decision. As was stated, KB (or anybody else) could have chimmed in had they wanted. Poor decision. I wonder if it was vetted before it was done.

ditto for me chill,

since no explanation is offered,

as usual,

we are left to GUESS,

so maybe it was pulled because

SAI uses the KB on their SS and

didnt want to have to answer the

questions that were sure to follow from

those owners or worse yet...

perspective owners.'

Guessing is such a hit or miss business,

too bad for us I guess.

sounds plausible.

WHO OR WHY IT WAS REMOVED IS A MUTE POINT. THE FACT THAT IT WAS REMOVED IS A

BLOW TO OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH RIGHTS. THE POINTS MADE IN THE THREAD WERE NOT

SLANDEROUS. SOME BASED ON FACTS OTHERS BASED ON CONJECTURE. STILL A VIOLATION OF

OUR FREE SPEECH. IT IS SAD THAT A VERY OPEN AND HELPFUL DISCUSSION WAS REMOVED.

IF PEOPLE DID NOT LIKE WHAT WAS SAID, DEFEND YOUR POINT OR POSITION. JUST DO NOT

SWEEP IT UNDER THE RUG. IT IS JUST PLAIN WRONG AND LEAVES ME :headscratch: .

SCOTTY

SLANDEROUS. SOME BASED ON FACTS OTHERS BASED ON CONJECTURE. STILL A VIOLATION OF

IF PEOPLE DID NOT LIKE WHAT WAS SAID, DEFEND YOUR POINT OR POSITION. JUST DO NOT

SCOTTY

I don't usually like to respond on things like this but...

It's not a violation of free speech. It's a privately run website. While I don't agree with the post deletion, they have every right to do so.

What's free is our right to stop using this forum if we don't like how it's run.

SCOTTY

Whoa!! I hope it was not my little note to K/B that may be they should check out the recent thread concerning their S/C and that may be they should have some one come on and either agree or disagree with the statements made in the thread. Not to have the thread deleated as an answer (Silance and it will all go away) I would like some answers as well, having purchased the K/B instead of thr Whipple which by the way was my first choice till I was told could not be had over 400 HP on an automatic. I purchased it the K/B in good faith as I was told by certain parties that it was the most reliable ans efficent S/C on the market. Now I am not so sure and the deleation of the thread only adds fuel to the fire. I found it very informative and would have liked to have herd both sides of the story from the parties involved good or bad. Having said that I have had no problems with my K/B to date and am quite happy with the performance just have questions more so now that the thread has been deleated. Do they think SILANCE will make it all go away, just makes me wonder even more. My 2 cents worth again.

What was the title of the post that got deleted? I too can not decide which one to get. I am leaning more towards the 550 Whipple the only bummer is I WANT MY STRUT TOWER BRACE I have a convertible and figure I will need that. To bad Paxton isn't available at Shelby yet? I would go with Paxton only for the fact that we still can have out strut tower brace even though I really do not like the looks of paxton but I guess there are many choices and opinions.

I also have a convertible and would like to keep the STB. I know Chip is working on a solution. I'm just hoping that by the time I can spring for the SC there will be a STB available with the Whipple and our stock hood. I think I've about dropped KB from my list of considerations. I've also an automatic and would like a little more than 400 but don't need 500+. 427 or so would be nice. If I were forced to make a choice today based on what I've gathered here and other places, I'd go Whipple.

I don't usually like to respond on things like this but...

It's not a violation of free speech. It's a privately run website. While I don't agree with the post deletion, they have every right to do so.

What's free is our right to stop using this forum if we don't like how it's run.

WELL ANDY YOUR POINT IS WELL TAKEN. HOWEVER, THE NEXT THING WILL BE WHEN YOU TELL

EVERONE ON A THREAD HOW GREAT THE TUNNER OR PERSON TUNNING YOUR CAR WAS.

THEN SOMEONE DELETES THE THREAD BECAUSE THE PERSON YOU LIKED TUNNING YOUR

CAR IS NOT AN AUTHORIZED SAI OR TEAM SHELBY VENDOR OR MOD SHOP. WHAT THEN,

THERE GOES YOUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH ARGUMENT RIGHT OUT THE DOOR WITH YOUR

CANCELLLED OR DELETED THREAD. :cry:

SCOTTY

Archived