TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Opinions on Brake Fluid

My brakes will be here tomorrow. :happy feet: :happy feet:

I need some opinions on what you guys use and recommend for brake fluid. I will be running the Shelby/Baer Pro Plus kit, Baer says Dot 3. Give me what you got.

Chris

EDIT: oops, spelled recommend wrong the first time.

Sorry, I don't know much about brake fluids. Ford states use DOT 3, but I see that ATE Super Blue is DOT 4. Will DOT 4 hurt the system / warranty in any way?

ATE Super Blue racing.

I order one in blue, and one in gold. When its time to bleed (using my power bleeder) I swap colors. When the new color comes out, I know it's bled ;)

I am using the ATE Super Blue Racing as well and like the idea of swapping colors !!!!

Also are you planning on replacing the brake lines with Stainless Steel ones ?

Take Care

Andrew

In the ford owners manual it states dot-3.The dot-4 is a higher temp brake fluid and as long as it shows on the bottle that it is o-k for abs then you should be ok. The dot-5 that i have seen states on the bottle that it is not for abs brakes. I don't know if that is on all dot-5's though or not. I'm going to use dot-4 when i change my brakes this week because of the higher boiling point. I found some at O'Riely auto parts that is dot-4 and it is silicone and i may try that.

I wound up buying napa 5.1-non silicone brake fluid. I found this on line at napaonline.com. A 12 oz can is 6.49 and i bought 3 cans. The part no. is nbf 51012. I bought this through the parts store. I called Napa and gave them the part no. and they had it in the store in about 2 hours. iIt says it is more resistent to moisture absorbtion than dot 3 or dot 4.It has a 500 degree protection and a 356 degree boiling point. Considering i will be pretty well street then this should work real good. Brenspeed recommended dot 5.1 so i started searching the internet.You probably want find this in any stores. I called 2 Napa stores and they didn't even know they they could get it.

All the US OE companies use the Dot 3 and have recently investigated going to Dot 4. Change over has been slowed with the economy as they have to buy new equipment. Systems they use to fill the brakes cannot be flushed out like the brakes in our cars.

European automakers have used the Dot 4 for years, however there is recomendation to replace fluid every two years. Both Brake fluids absorb moisture through a vent required in the Master cylinder cap. Moisture in the fluid lowers the boiling point and tends to accelerate corrosion of pipes from the inside.

Based on several of the comments I get the impression several of you do a lot of breake work eliminating need to worry about the two year change over. Others that plan to change only because you updating the brakes should make a mental note for two years from now.

Also note ABS units built at my employer uses Dot 4 during the assembly process. It is required to pre fill some cavities that do not get activated during factory bleeed. There is not an issue with system have being factory bled for you to manual/bleeder ball bleed in your garage.

DrKSGT

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you that have replaced the fluid how much did it take? I will be having it shipped to me and want to make sure I get enough the first time. I have the rotors but now need the pads, lines and fluid and am hoping to place the order by tomorrow.

Thanks

chuck

Chuck,i ordered 3- 12oz cans and my mechanic said it was plenty. I've noticed some vendors have in there fluid paks 3 cans which i suppose is 12oz cans.I had my brakes-rotors-ss lines installed this week.Good-luck. P.S. I ordered my dot 5.1 brake fluid from Napa auto parts. It took about 2 hrs. for them to get it.

You might want to be careful switching to DOT 5 silicone base brake fluid. Do a Google search. This page mentions not mixing DOT 5 silicon based fluid with DOT 3, 4 or 5.1.

http://www.stealth316.com/2-brakefluid.htm

This page suggests a procedure for switching.

http://www.type2.com/library/brakes/dot5.htm

I went with Motul RBF 600 when I upgraded my brakes and it worked great at the track yesterday.

Archived