TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Keep my SGT Vert or get a GT500?

Mustang_Scotty

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No brainer, keep the SGT! You have a car that will always look great and be desirable. I think many dealers have many G.T. 500's they can't get rid of now.

I think the G.T. 500 says, "Look at me."

I think the SGT says, "Look at the beautiful car."

BONUS: How much money will you save by keeping your SGT? The way things are going, enough to buy a house by July! JERV :finger:

I Live in Yorktown NY and work as a Firefighter in Yonkers NY.

I live in Carmel,i have an 07 gt500.If you would like i would take you for a spin so you could feel the differences between the two.

Bring your helmet.

just kidding.

Let me know,we can meet up in the spring and go for a ride down the taconic and around town.

Larry

I have both cars and I enjoy driving my SGT vert more than my GT 500 vert. I had the KB SC installed to make the car a GT/SC and it feels faster than the 500. I drive the GT 500 daily and keep the GT/SC for nice weather days. GT 500's are not rare compared to the SGT's.

Keep SGT and install KB

Back in the 90's I wanted a car that would smoke anybody, so I bought a 92 Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo. After many years and alot of money the car will run in the low 10's or high 9's. I still have that car (could never afford to get rid of it) but there was always something about that V6 sound that I never liked. In the late 90's I started to race oval track in the street stock/pure stock divisions, we could pretty much do whatever we wanted to the motors but nothing to the car's frame/suspension.We ran a 351 Winsor motor, I think at that time in my life I told myself the next car I buy was going to be a very special V8 car. So what'd I do??, ended up buying a new BMW Z3 M-roadster. Man that car had balls and was fast, the only problem with that car was you couldn't really buy any after market stuff for it. You know, that's half the fun of all this car crap, buying the car and then a ton of mods for it as time goes on. Then one spring day in 2007 I saw her, a black SGT sit'n on dealers lot and told myself "That's the car I been look'n for". And after I heard her purr..................not too loud............just loud enough. Needles to say the BMW was traded on that car and I never regretted it, I've got a car now that I love to drive, sounds and looks great, has plenty of HP to kill yourself and is a limited production car, made by one of the most famous names in racing..........what more could you ask for.

Yeah maybe we can hook up. I would love to check out the 500 closer.

I live in Carmel,i have an 07 gt500.If you would like i would take you for a spin so you could feel the differences between the two.

Bring your helmet.

just kidding.

Let me know,we can meet up in the spring and go for a ride down the taconic and around town.

Larry

Put a KB or Whipple on it--get your limited edition car and blow the doors off a GT500---problem solved!

Wrong, bigger problem. I don't mean to come on strong but this is the truth. The Shelby GT is not a GT500 and you can put a Whipple, Kb or anything else you choose and still not do well against a GT500. A friend raced a modded Shelby GT at the track with his stock GT500 and beat the Shelby GT easily. If you have the money get the GT500, if not then keep what you have, mod it the way you like and be happy. It sounds like you really want a GT500 but it is not in your budget. If that is the case, I vote keep the Shelby GT. It is a nice car and if selling it will cause financial hardship, it is not worth it to buy anything else.

Wrong, bigger problem. I don't mean to come on strong but this is the truth. The Shelby GT is not a GT500 and you can put a Whipple, Kb or anything else you choose and still not do well against a GT500. A friend raced a modded Shelby GT at the track with his stock GT500 and beat the Shelby GT easily. If you have the money get the GT500, if not then keep what you have, mod it the way you like and be happy. It sounds like you really want a GT500 but it is not in your budget. If that is the case, I vote keep the Shelby GT. It is a nice car and if selling it will cause financial hardship, it is not worth it to buy anything else.

Wrong, bigger problem. You have no idea what your talking about! The person that has both is Chip Beck. He has a 2008 GT500 stock and a 2007 Shelby GT/SC. He say's and quote" the Shelby GT knocks the socks off the GT500 any time and day". If I had the post I would post it. But why not just ask him again he'll tell you. After all the guy has a garage the would make any Ford car guy drool. GT500, Shelby GT / SC and a Ford GT. It really can't get much better than that. Oh sorry to burst your bubble but.....your wrong, bigger problem is exactly that...wrong.

But all that being said I do love the 2010 GT500's and am thinking about one myself. The problem with getting SAI to install your mod is harder than anything you ever tried, they just won't do it because they make too much money off the SS packages and will not let those go. However if you want to wait a year or so (I have waited 1.5 years+ and still waiting) they'll run out of SS cars and then do the Shelby GT's again. But I think that is a bit too late for me. So even if the Gt500 is NOT as fast as the SGT/SC you'll be waiting forever to get it installed. I am leaning toward a GT500 and as soon as I see one in person I'll make my decision. Everybody who knows me knows one gripe I have always had.........they let this pony out of the coral with not enough horse power!

It's simply a matter of weight to power. I made some assumptions in the following because I don't know how much weight the superchargers add to the Shelby GT, or the exact crank HP numbers, but maybe some of you guys could provide the correct numbers this is cut / paste from Excel). Clearly, a 500 hp whipple is going to kick butt on a GT500, but the Paxton may be more of an even match???;

GT500 3900 lbs 500 hp 7.8 lbs / hp

Shelby GT 3500 lbs 319 hp 11.0 lbs / hp

Shelby GT/SC Paxton 3550 lbs 450 hp 7.9 lbs / hp

Shelby GT/SC Whipple 3550 lbs 500 hp 7.1 lbs / hp

Getting ready to do the Evolution Performance Stage 3 to my 2009 GT500 (they claim added 201RWHP). I know the S/C SGT is fast (if I had one that is what I would do to it) but calculations on my GT500 with the Stage 3 is definitly going to out do the S/C SGT (not by much). When I am finished and have dyno info I will post. I am figuring 640 RWHP - using evoperforms #'s if all goes well. This is all below $54,000 if no unexpected expenses pop up - car included. I am doing majority of work. The SGT (I am guessing a good price is $35,000 + $6,000 Roush S/C if you do your own work is a savings of $13,000 (up to 700H.P.@ the flywheel, 615RWHP). If I calculated right you have 25RWHP less than the GT500. I am sure the weight savings makes up for 25HP.

If it is not a sin to put the Roush on the SGT or no tech problems and you can tune it - this is one heck of a deal! Am I wrong? This sounds to good to be true.

I used the #'s from evoperforms site. If I didn't like my '08 & '09 GT500's so much and if these #'s are right this is what I would do. Unless this is too much for the 4.6L?

Jeffisheretoo is right...this is not about a GT500 vs GT. Both are awesome cars and both are owned for their own reasons. Each person buys what they want. For me I wanted the limited edition with the ability to go to 500HP if I chose. I love looking at GT500's and have driven only one. If I had $50k I would buy one of those too as my daily driver. My dad was all over me about buying the SGT and not the GT500 until he drove my SGT for the first time in December and then he fell in love with it too. So buy what is going to make you happy. If it makes you smile when you go outside or even telling people about it, you have found your car.

Then don't ask us for guidance do whatever makes you happy and makes you feel complete. If I could afford a GT 500 I would jump right on one right now, but I can't. I've been doing a lot of research over the years about the new 'Specialty Mustangs.' I came from the elder years of Mustang building, even though I'm only 21 I know enough to decode a VIN on the spot, know where what goes where, blah blah blah. I know the Shelby Legacy and I respect it. When I got to doing more research about the new Shelby's, I learned that the Shelby GT's where in limited numbers and built at the Shelby Headquarters. They don't just stamp the name Shelby on the car, they mean it and I absolutely love that. So I envy you and everyone that drives a Shelby of any kind, because I wanted one ever since I was a kid. Knowing that I'm about 1-2 months away from purchasing a Shelby makes me all the more excited and I won't feel complete with out it. So again if that Gt500 makes you feel whole then jump on it, because if supercharging a SGT isn't going to make you happy then you are just wasting your time looking at a painting on a wall.

...and I'm off! :superhero:

I have both a Hertz GT-H and a Vapor GT500. The cares are totally different. The Hertz draws alot more attention when I take it out; people have never seen one. It handles better and feels like and old muscle car. The GT500 is a BEAST! I asked M Morris this before I bought the GT500 about the difference and those were his exact words "its a beast". The GT500 is much more refined and more of a daily driver for longer trips. The Hertz will beat you to death (more fun in turns) but I wouldn't want to drive it across country.

I had both cars out in the last couple of days and every time I drive them both I ask myself which would I keep if one had to go. I would definately keep the GT-H due to the limited production and I believe it will be worth something in 30 or 40 years. Would I keep the Hertzt over the GT500 w/o a S/charger? And again the answer is YES! I just feel like the car gets more attention and I don't have to use it as a daily driver.

I bought the GT500 because I wanted a S/C car and just wanted to feel the power. I think I was a little like you with a poster on the wall and just kept dreaming about 500hp. I didn't know when I bought the GT500 if I would keep it but its just so DIFFERENT from the GT-H I've hung on to it. I always thought I would trade the GT500 (new camaro, or challenger) but can't make myself trade for a car with less HP.

I would keep the SGT even if you didn't s/c it. You need to find a buddy with a GT500 in your area and see if he'll let you drive it. Maybe it will get it out of your system.

SVT

Just beatiing my head into the wall about this. :banghead:

Then don't ask us for guidance do whatever makes you happy and makes you feel complete. If I could afford a GT 500 I would jump right on one right now, but I can't. I've been doing a lot of research over the years about the new 'Specialty Mustangs.' I came from the elder years of Mustang building, even though I'm only 21 I know enough to decode a VIN on the spot, know where what goes where, blah blah blah. I know the Shelby Legacy and I respect it. When I got to doing more research about the new Shelby's, I learned that the Shelby GT's where in limited numbers and built at the Shelby Headquarters. They don't just stamp the name Shelby on the car, they mean it and I absolutely love that. So I envy you and everyone that drives a Shelby of any kind, because I wanted one ever since I was a kid. Knowing that I'm about 1-2 months away from purchasing a Shelby makes me all the more excited and I won't feel complete with out it. So again if that Gt500 makes you feel whole then jump on it, because if supercharging a SGT isn't going to make you happy then you are just wasting your time looking at a painting on a wall.

...and I'm off! :superhero:

Truly spoken like a child. Now do you think I was asking for a response like that? Was my original thread to ask which car is faster. I was only saying what I felt. Put your pajamas on and go to bed. And I was talking about slapping a SHELBY tag on the GT500 as a funny comparison. And if your 1-2 months from buying one I have one for sale!

Sorry, but I really don't get what bothered you so much about this guys post but what ever it was yours was FAR FAR worse in response. Let's not forget there are people on the other side of that screen. If you had an issue you could explain and discuss or just say nothing either of which I think is better than the "both barrels" approach here.

As I said, I've read his post over and over and I don't see what it was that would upset you so much, but regardless we shouldn't treat one another that way.

Ok?

Truly spoken like a child. Now do you think I was asking for a response like that? Was my original thread to ask which car is faster. I was only saying what I felt. Put your pajamas on and go to bed. And I was talking about slapping a SHELBY tag on the GT500 as a funny comparison. And if your 1-2 months from buying one I have one for sale!

And how did my response come off insulting? Just wondering.

If it my response felt insulting then I'm sorry, because it wasn't suppose to be.

You wanted someones opinion and you got it.

If you are willing to take three cars for a trade in and 4.5K down money then sure I'll buy from you.

Again my post wasn't meant to be insulting at all.

Then I truly apologize. I'm just beating my head about this probably for no reason.

And how did my response come off insulting? Just wondering.

If it my response felt insulting then I'm sorry, because it wasn't suppose to be.

You wanted someones opinion and you got it.

If you are willing to take three cars for a trade in and 4.5K down money then sure I'll buy from you.

Again my post wasn't meant to be insulting at all.

All!

Please let's not make this a SGT vs. GT500 thread! We had last had those over a year ago and I don't want to see the habit comeback from either side of the argument.

Let's all get along, debate respective pros and cons, in a respectful way.

ok?

Done.

Even though I wish I had either one, so I wouldn't know the difference. :banghead:

Thats what I was trying to avoid but I think they already did.

All!

Please let's not make this a SGT vs. GT500 thread! We had last had those over a year ago and I don't want to see the habit comeback from either side of the argument.

Let's all get along, debate respective pros and cons, in a respectful way.

ok?

OK. We are getting off the original topic here. I really can care less who beats who. I'm not 18 anymore. I'm a 40 yr. old Professional Firefighter with 2 kids at home worrying about daddy being safe at work. I admit I do drive way too fast on the highway, and thats about as much fun as I have in the car, driving it to work. What I look for in a car is it's specialty. Thats why back in the day I had a 1980 Indy Pace Car Turbo Trans Am. Because nobody else had it and I never saw another. Thats why I had a 1993 Cobra w/ 10,000 miles on it until I sold it to purchase this SGT. I like/want the exclustivety of a car. I originally purchased an SGT because it was not made on the Ford assembly line and someone slapped a SHELBY tag on it (so to speak). I like the fact that this car actually was in the shop of the GOD of Mustangs and built with his eyes on each one. Now I own a SGT but have a 2ft x 3ft poster of a Vista GT500 in my basement and it always stares at me. It could be that I'm the kind of person that is never happy and i dont want to sell this SGT and be sorry for it. I feel that SC ing the SGT will make it the fastest car I ever owned, be rare and unique, and when a young punk pulls up next to this 40 yr old at a light and thinks I have just a nice Mustang Gt with stickers on it, he'll regret it. So my confusion is I love my SGT but just like the fact that when I look at my poster in my basement everyday it says underneath the picture of the nose, "The Most Powerful Factory Built Mustang EVER" HELP ME, HELP ME. :shrug:

Someone does need help cause they are a little too caught up with the whole "shelby" thing...If Carroll Shelby had his eye on everyone I can imagine he wouldn't have let the SGT hood scoops out looking the way mine did when I bought it...It's a nice car and Carroll Shelby is a great car guy but to call the man "GOD" is a little rediculous...

OK wrong choice of words. I was figuratively speaking. GOD some people fixate on individual words. Next time I will choose my words wisely. Thanks for that answer.

Someone does need help cause they are a little too caught up with the whole "shelby" thing...If Carroll Shelby had his eye on everyone I can imagine he wouldn't have let the SGT hood scoops out looking the way mine did when I bought it...It's a nice car and Carroll Shelby is a great car guy but to call the man "GOD" is a little rediculous...

Sell the SGT and get a real Shelby :stirpot:

:lurk:

Yeah, buy a Cobra. :)

If you want to stay with a Mustang, putting the S/C on the SGT will get you a better handling car. To get equivalent you need to:

1. Add the S/C to the SGT

2. Add the FRPP handling package to the GT500

If you only plan on getting to 500HP, then the SGT + S/C is a better deal - your end HP is more.

If you want to go beyond that (the GT500 is a modders dream - more pulleys CAI etc).

I made my decision a year ago and bought the SGT with the intent of getting the SC installed. I was going to do Paxton out of the door but they pulled the plug. The KB went was installed last August.

And the Cobra will smack either one of them.

Tony said it best...

if all you want is (roughly) 500 hp..

put an SC on your Shelby GT

OR

add the FRPP Handling package on a stock GT500

BASICALLY the same car then......

(sands the extra few hundred pounds the gt500 carries)

if you want 600hp or 700hp, then go with the GT500

cause the sky is the limit with that motor.

Tony said it best...

if all you want is (roughly) 500 hp..

put an SC on your Shelby GT

OR

add the FRPP Handling package on a stock GT500

BASICALLY the same car then......

(sands the extra few hundred pounds the gt500 carries)

if you want 600hp or 700hp, then go with the GT500

cause the sky is the limit with that motor.

Think of it this way:

SGT +===========+

GT500 xxxxxxx+================+

(delete the "x" in your eyes - the forum deletes extrea space characters.)

If you are OK in the middle then I think the SGT is more satisfying. If you want room for expansion beyond the SGT/GT500 overlap, then start with the GT500. The GT500 powerplant is an awesome powreplant that will go down in the annals of history like the Windsor/Cleveland blocks. It is still at stretch to beat the real 427-428FEs.

Whatever, drive it like you stole it.

More data:

The word on the street is that the 3V 4.6L is good to 625-ish at the crank (Ford will not sign up to this). KB and FRPP rate theirs at 500 RWHP, and if so they are very close to the max for the basic engine. I've heard of some changing pulleys on their SCs to get 600HP at the wheels, but they probably won't last long.... Of course it only matters if you push it. I will take mine to Bandimere this summer (although I'm working harder to the the Cobra running right - looks like ignition problems) and that is proving to be somewhat of a distraction. I'll eventually have to take the Cobra to a tuner and when I do I'll also bring down the Mustang to have it dynod.

Archived