TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Keep my SGT Vert or get a GT500?

Mustang_Scotty

OK. I have one of those crazy Ideas again. I'm pondering selling/trading my SGT Vert w/ 300 miles on the ticker and never registered for a GT500. Now I just need some feedback to really make up my mind. Heres my thought process. I love the SGT because it comes from SAI and because of it's limited status. But I keep saying it's not a GT500. I love the look of both but the nose of the 500 is just sinister, along with the 500HP. I have been talking to Michael Morris and he gave me the idea of having the SGT Supercharged and then I would have a limited SGT/SC. I love the ragtop too as the 500 I would get will be coupe. And I dont want to race the car, just show off! Man I'm having trouble deciding. Can someone help me make up my mind? I posted this on the GT forum also just in case you GT500 people dont dare go over there.

You can duplicate the power by adding a supercharger to your SGT. You cannot duplicate the front end looks (well, you could, but you would catch hell from everyone if you did that). To me, it sounds like "the look" has you captivated. Nothing wrong with that. Just about everyone agrees that the snout on a GT500 is really nasty looking. You can see from my signature, I have a SGT/SC. I affirmatively did not want the GT500 because of how I use my car. Do I love the GT500? Yep! I have driven it and anyone who does not love it probably does not own one. Bottom line, call MM and get yourself that GT500. Life is too short to not live it the way you want.

Jim

While I have not owned an SGT, I did own a 2005 GT and a 2007 GT prior to the GT500. The GT500 is just in a different class IMO, in both looks and everything else. I would definitely go with the GT500.

Let Micheal Morris sell that SGT for you and buy that GT500!!! Awesome machine!!! He can get you a good deal on GT 500 !!!

I had an 06 GT vert and had to upgrade to a GT500 vert. I did think about a SGT for your same reasons, particularly the SAI part. But the bottom line was 319 hp was not enough, particularly for the price they were asking as compared to the GT500. I got an 09 GT500 red stripe vert $1000 below MSRP last summer, it came in August, and I've never been happier. That is, until now when the mod bug is starting to bite and KR mufflers, CAI, 3.73's, FRPP shifter are on the to-do list.

If you like the SGT vert I would suggest you look hard at the GT500 ragtop. For a vert it is really designed well and handles fantastic.

My .02

I was in the same boat couple months back. Bought SGT in August 07 but in the back of my mind always wanted the GT500 (at time of SGT purchase, mark-up was through the roof on the GT500s). Don't get me wrong, the SGT is a nice Shelby, but after experiencing the GT500, there is nothing like it. In the end I traded up for the GT500 this past December and haven't looked back. Either or, your in a win-win situation. Enjoy!!!!!

Be careful of the trap. Don't S/C your GT and then end up buying the GT500 anyway. If you're wishing you had a GT500, then the S/C may not stop that wish whenever a GT500 drives by.

I debated long and hard between the SGT and the GT 500. A vert is the only option for me, so that left out the KR's. All things considered, the SGT is more in line with Shelby's original GT 350, whereas the GT 500 is more in line with the "civilized" GT 500's of the 60's. It's a grand touring car. If you want the look (stripes, scoops, etc.) of the SGT, then go for the supercharger, but if you want a more subtle look (except in red or orange!) with stupid amounts of horsepower and torque at your beck and call, go GT 500. They both carry the Shelby name, and if you are serious, order you a CS signature dash plaque, like I did.

My esteemed $.02 worth!

Have fun!

I don't know much about the SGT. The thought of a S/C on it and tricking people who don't believe you have that much power is a good one. Sleeper? I am on my 2nd GT500 and love it/them - they are not cheap. I have thought of building/super charging a 2-3 year old V-6 to humiliate those who don't know. Keep the SGT and save up for the GT500! I love Mustangs - period!

ingram4868 - if you check your prices you can get a Roush S/C kit for less than $6000 and if you put it together right it will make almost 700 H.P. at the the crank. Especially if you don't give a hill of beans about the name on it. It will smoke a stock GT500 for thousands less.

So.......Mustang Scotty if you want to hold off on buying the GT500 for a while you can build a beast of a machine that will embarass some of the high dollar GT500's out there. I am on my 2nd GT500 and I love them - but I would build a 4.6L in a heartbeat if that is what my budget allowed. Especially it being lighter, cheaper, and a fun build.

Archived