TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Misperception and the Shelby GT500 curb weight

NICK82

It's Grand Touring sports car and is a lightweight car for that niche. Let's look at some other high horsepower front engine GT's...

Ferrari 612 Scaglietti (4056 lbs)

Mercedes AMG Black Series (4123lbs)

Nissan GTR - (3836 lbs)

Maserati GranTurismo (4150 lbs)

Bentley Continental GT (5258 lbs)

Shelby GT500 (3920 lbs)

As you will see the Shelby GT500 is one of the lightest Grand Touring Sports cars on the market today. So if it's too heavy for you maybe you shouldn't be in the market for a big front engine Grand Tourer....

It's Grand Touring sports car and is a lightweight car for that niche. Let's look at some other high horsepower front engine GT's...

Nissan GTR - (3836 lbs)

Shelby GT500 (3920 lbs)

As you will see the Shelby GT500 is one of the lightest Grand Touring Sports cars on the market today. So if it's too heavy for you maybe you shouldn't be in the market for a big front engine Grand Tourer....

How do Porsche 911, BMW M series and the Audi R8 come in? What about the Vette and Vipers?

It is not the weight, per se, that is the issue. It is how that weight is distributed, front to rear. I do not have the data right here but my recollection is that most of the other cars cited have a more neutral weight distribution than does the GT500. Any way you stack it, the GT500 is a lot of bang for the buck.

Jim

hmm

my gt500 does not weigh 3920

It weighs about 3800, I will have to look in my records again

3920 is the fully loaded.

Mine has no options and had a shipping weight of 37XX

What are the stock 0-60mph times and what is the top speed stock for the GT500? I agree re best value for performance. Goes without saying, with what you can do to the GT500 aftermarket... blown away just about all others for the price. Handling not too far off with some good mods.

What are the stock 0-60mph times and what is the top speed stock for the GT500? I agree re best value for performance. Goes without saying, with what you can do to the GT500 aftermarket... blown away just about all others for the price. Handling not too far off with some good mods.

I think stock 0-60 times were advertise as low to mid 4 sec. Top speed is electronically limited to 155, but it can do much more than that.

I agree with the value statements. Compare our $45K GT500's to the prices of all those others mentioned here. With a couple thousand in suspension mods and a couple thousand in engine mods, you've got a car that can kill most things on the road for less than $50K. It's hard to beat that.

Nissan GTR - (3836 lbs)

Shelby GT500 (3920 lbs)

Not true apples to apples comparo.

Some of those cars are V12's and all of them are all wheel drive except the GT500.

I think stock 0-60 times were advertise as low to mid 4 sec. Top speed is electronically limited to 155, but it can do much more than that.

I agree with the value statements. Compare our $45K GT500's to the prices of all those others mentioned here. With a couple thousand in suspension mods and a couple thousand in engine mods, you've got a car that can kill most things on the road for less than $50K. It's hard to beat that.

Do the aftermarket SCT3 type tuners eliminate that speed limit control? Not that I figure to go faster than that on the roads I have here.....

Put it this way. I pegged the speedo in fifth. I was still adccelerating through sixth. I dont know how fast i was goin. I did a calculator online ( google top speed calculator) but i dont know how accurate it is. I used the gearing numbers fomr fords site to enter those with my weight and HP and all that and it says it should do 242. I dont think so but if i could find a 200 mph speedo id install it and tell u. Help? Trust me its scary how fast this car is....and i had a built R1 with nos on it.

Put it this way. I pegged the speedo in fifth. I was still adccelerating through sixth. I dont know how fast i was goin. I did a calculator online ( google top speed calculator) but i dont know how accurate it is. I used the gearing numbers fomr fords site to enter those with my weight and HP and all that and it says it should do 242. I dont think so but if i could find a 200 mph speedo id install it and tell u. Help? Trust me its scary how fast this car is....and i had a built R1 with nos on it.

I dont think they are as fast as we would like them to be on top end due to the aerodynamics. Our cars would need tons of HP and lots of aero work to even get close to 242mph. The Veyron will go 253, but takes over 1000 hp to get there. The new ZR1 with less weight (3350lbs) and significantly better aero (much lower cd) only goes 200mph (you can watch this on youtube, GPS verified) with 625 hp which is very close to a chip pulley and CAI for us. Our cars are not slow, they will do high 160s+ with pulley /CAI, but the realitively flat nose makes for a bit of a brick wall at the top end.

I dont disagree that it wont go that fast but when u hit 160 in fifth and still have lots of room to peg it in 6th i gotta figure over 180 190. Maybe not much more. And mind you this is indicated. I want a gps to verify. Its a very long stretch of straight road i was on and had lots of time to do it. Not like a texas mile wehre u only have so much. I have five or six miles to get up tp it.

All i have is a stage 2 so i believe it. I got a place but boy ill tell u cops know it now so it dont happen often. On an upnote about the road my boy from school is a cop that patrols it. He wants to run the cop dodge charger against my 500 so when we do it im gonna tape it and post it. It will be a night time run like 4 am but we alreafy are set on doin it. Watch for that post!!

I dont disagree that it wont go that fast but when u hit 160 in fifth and still have lots of room to peg it in 6th i gotta figure over 180 190. Maybe not much more. And mind you this is indicated. I want a gps to verify. Its a very long stretch of straight road i was on and had lots of time to do it. Not like a texas mile wehre u only have so much. I have five or six miles to get up tp it.

I guess that answers my question. Did you get any hood flutter at high speed? Unless you have the hood pins on each side it might start wiggling a bit, no? Sure wouldn't want it to accidentally release at that speed.

I like the comparison to front engine 2+2 GTs. I would drop the two AWD cars, and agree with most everyone else that Sport's Cars (911, Z06) do not belong on the list at all. This would be a great write-up for a car magazine.

Of course, a GT500 is not really "comparable" to a V12 Ferrari. . . on many many levels.

But, if the criteria is front engine grand touring 2 + 2 they are comparable and the good ole american V8 will stand on its own against any of these cars without modification. Would it best them? No. But, it wouldn't be embarrased (and perhaps would upset a few of the contenders). The hand built 5.4L SC V8s are fantastic engines, and at core, put them in league with their more exotic relations.

Remeber the internet millionare comparo? It picked the Shelby.

http://www.speedsportlife.com/2008/06/24/s...-mustang-gt500/

I guess that answers my question. Did you get any hood flutter at high speed? Unless you have the hood pins on each side it might start wiggling a bit, no? Sure wouldn't want it to accidentally release at that speed.

My hood (with pins) flutters like crazy at speeds over 120. Just my .02.

Ken

what I wanna know is why do are cars have to be so heavy to begin with. Couldn't they have done something to bring them in around 3500. 3900lbs is ridiculous i don't if its a "Grand Touring" car or not.

If they were lighter (using exotic/composite/ultra light-ultra strong) materials, they'd cost as much as the "exotics". They're heavier because they're built with good ol' American steel.....

If they were lighter (using exotic/composite/ultra light-ultra strong) materials, they'd cost as much as the "exotics". They're heavier because they're built with good ol' American steel.....

I just have a hard time buying that. There is something they can do with out pushing into "exotic" territory. The corvette isn't that much more than our cars and i ways 800lbs less. Ford could have done something even if just to knock off 300 lbs. And that wouldn't make it an exotic nor near corvette prices.

I just have a hard time buying that. There is something they can do with out pushing into "exotic" territory. The corvette isn't that much more than our cars and i ways 800lbs less. Ford could have done something even if just to knock off 300 lbs. And that wouldn't make it an exotic nor near corvette prices.

One of the weight items is the iron block. I think if they could put the GT40 aluminum block on it would shave off ~300lbs or so. That would also help with the weight distribution. The Corvette has an aluminum frame too I believe. As someone mentioned some thread back, Ford make a GT500 based on the standard production model so we are dressing up the Ugly Betty to compete with the pretty belles of the ball. After all is said and done, I am very proud that we have such a great performer that gives any of the exoto-cars a run for the money or a beating. I doubt that a good driver with a well tuned GT500 pushing 600-700RHP with suspension mods would lose out to any of the factory Merc's, Porsches, Ferrari's etc... A friend of mine was in Miami last year and did some head to head drag racing with another guy that had a Ferrari (don't know which model, but at least 3x the price) and beat him hands down. The Ferrari guy wanted to cry so George told him "you have a very nice car and it likely would win a coast to coast race as it is more aerodynamic...." to mollify the guy. I reckon money well spent would be some professional instruction and track time to know how to use 100% of the capacity that the GT500 has and how to minimize issues such as weight, braking, handling etc... where we aren't as close to the others.

I guess Ford could have used the aluminum 5.4 Ford GT block, and convert it for "wet sump" use. JDM offers a converted GT short-block - it runs about $10K after adding in the oil pan etc. http://www.teamjdm.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=258.

That would save about a 100 pounds. It would make sense too since the GT is no longer in production. . . but then the faithful might complaint that their Ford exotic shares the same engine as a mustang.

And it would raise the cost - which a lot of people complain about as it is now.

The Z06 weighs about 700 lbs less (and it cost about $30K more). Again, not a fair comparison.

I guess Ford could have used the aluminum 5.4 Ford GT block, and convert it for "wet sump" use. JDM offers a converted GT short-block - it runs about $10K after adding in the oil pan etc. http://www.teamjdm.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=258.

That would save about a 100 pounds. It would make sense too since the GT is no longer in production. . . but then the faithful might complaint that their Ford exotic shares the same engine as a mustang.

And it would raise the cost - which a lot of people complain about as it is now.

The Z06 weighs about 700 lbs less (and it cost about $30K more). Again, not a fair comparison.

Yup. And the Z06 is a 2 seater specific sports car. I don't think there are as many mod's that you can do as easily to the Vette's either as can be done to the GT500... maybe some out there knows more about that?

Archived