TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Chicago Auto Show report

henrycp

Went to the Chicago Auto Show today to see the 2010 Shelby. It was very dissapointing to see only 1 there, the Kona Blue coupe with Silver Stripes. Even worse, it was being ABUSED!! The doors were locked so one one got inside but folks, kids, were literally crawling all over it. :cry: The 4" exhaust tips just look huge. It's cool. There was a 2010 Red GT coupe as well, but that's it. Three 2009 mustangs also. The GT display was kind of cool. Every hour they changed wheels, spoilers, hood to show the optional looks. They actually jacked the car up and changed the wheels, all other exterior changes were taped on. Also talked to Tom the Mustang guy from Ford and asked a few questions, he was about to go on break so I didn't get a lot of his time:

1. The Black Box? Tom summed it up that it is a "tattle tell system". It will be used when making warranty claims to see if the tune's been changed, computer toyed with, mods, etc. Anything changed that the computer 'sees' will show in the data.

2. I asked if the 2010 suspension was equivalent to the Handling Pack / KR suspension. He said the 2010 was not quite as aggressive as the Handling Pack / KR suspension but did say it was much improved from the stock 09 suspension, but I already knew that...

3. The HID lights will be avail some time this summer. Cars ordered with HID will probably hit dealer lots in August timeframe. He did say that swapping the hallogens with the HIDs is simple to do. He did say that Ford, for whatever reason, would prefer they not be swapped later, but that it could be done.

4. Asked about FRPP packs for the 2010. He said there will be both performance and handling packs. More info from SVT in March timeframe

5. Production has begun. The first models will roll off the line in March and will go into the test fleet. He said they should then be on dealer lots, including the Shelby's, by mid-April. Not including models ordered with the HIDs, of course.

6. He mentioned that 75% of what the KR has is in the 2010. Then he was off to break so I didn't get a chance to ask what 25% was not in the 2010. UGH!!

Tom said that if I wanted to stick around until end of show I could sit in it. That meant 10PM though and I had a 3 hour drive and work tomorrow. I had to pass.

Also saw a ZR1, very cool. The 2010 camaro to. I sat in an SS. The wife, bless her heart, is not a car gal at all. Just doesn't get into them but supports my getting a 2010 Shelby. Anyway, when we got to the show we went straight to the Shelby. Later that day we went to see the camaro. We're standing there looking at it and I asked her what she thought of it. She replied, "it looks kind of girly" :hysterical: She continues, "the Mustang looks very sporty and really aggressive. This just looks girly" :hysterical: Maybe she is becoming a car gal now :happy feet:

Thanks HANK ! GREAT STUFF . YOU ANSWERED SEVERAL QUESTIONS I had including build dates. Did you order yours yet and what about the dealers' ADM? NOW ; IF WE COULD ONLY GET A MAG REVIEW ASAP. !

Thanks for the review. You answered some questions I had. I wish we had more details regarding the exhaust and suspension changes. Did the tips of the exhaust look the same as the '07-'09? Did you see the mufflers? If you did were they like a cylinder or oval in shape? Too bad you didn't get a pic with the kids crawling on it...lol

Thanks for the review. You answered some questions I had. I wish we had more details regarding the exhaust and suspension changes. Did the tips of the exhaust look the same as the '07-'09? Did you see the mufflers? If you did were they like a cylinder or oval in shape? Too bad you didn't get a pic with the kids crawling on it...lol

I just looked at it today. The mufflers appear like the '07-'09. however they were painted black and had the big 4" tip. They were oval, and not cylindrical like the KR mufflers.

I liked they way the car looked in person. Much better than in pictures, in my opinion.

Thanks HANK ! GREAT STUFF . YOU ANSWERED SEVERAL QUESTIONS I had including build dates. Did you order yours yet and what about the dealers' ADM? NOW ; IF WE COULD ONLY GET A MAG REVIEW ASAP. !

Thanks, Bruce. Have not finalized the order yet. Put the car in so we could see MSRP. He made an offer, I countered, we talked some more, etc. We then told each other to think about it some more. He's still holding the allocation for me, has not submitted the order to Ford yet. No big hurry sicne I want the HID, not over anxious to get the hallogens now and swith later, I can wait.

I just looked at it today. The mufflers appear like the '07-'09. however they were painted black and had the big 4" tip. They were oval, and not cylindrical like the KR mufflers.

I liked they way the car looked in person. Much better than in pictures, in my opinion.

I was there Saturday. I also have to agree the GT 500 looks much better in person. For some reason the camera just doesn't capture it accurately. I took pictures and it just doesn't look as good as in person. I like it and think they did a great job.

Yeah, sorry. I wish I had more of Tom's time becasue that's exactly what I was wanting to ask more of to. Eyeballing it, it looked identical to the 09 exhaust with the exception of the tips. I think it sits lower than the 09 as well, so I wasn't able to get under it either...thought the kids might start crawling all over me then.

My Dealer texted me a pic of the Shelby from the show today with caption "I deserve one", LOL. Nice guy. I texted him back and asked him to call me so that I could have him ask Tom more questions. Had him ask about the 25% that was in the KR that was not in the 2010. The 25% amounts to brake cooling ducts, KR hood, KR wheels, KR exhaust and some interior KR stuff. He says Tom told him the 2010 has a heat exchanger though. I thought the KR had one but have not been able to verify. Anyone know?

My Dealer texted me a pic of the Shelby from the show today with caption "I deserve one", LOL. Nice guy. I texted him back and asked him to call me so that I could have him ask Tom more questions. Had him ask about the 25% that was in the KR that was not in the 2010. The 25% amounts to brake cooling ducts, KR hood, KR wheels, KR exhaust and some interior KR stuff. He says Tom told him the 2010 has a heat exchanger though. I thought the KR had one but have not been able to verify. Anyone know?

"KEEP HIM ON THE ROPES" HANK. Lots of deals are out there at msrp.Our cdn dollar is so weak today that my order with nav converts to $ 47784 usd. A Minnesota dealer called me with a new KR priced down to $ 74100. I got another dealer who called me late with a price of $ 55707 cdn with the shaker which is just $ 44008 usd. My thoughts : search far and wide and keep all doors open.

Good luck !

• 3 weeks later...
Went to the Chicago Auto Show today to see the 2010 Shelby. It was very dissapointing to see only 1 there, the Kona Blue coupe with Silver Stripes. Even worse, it was being ABUSED!! The doors were locked so one one got inside but folks, kids, were literally crawling all over it. :cry: The 4" exhaust tips just look huge. It's cool. There was a 2010 Red GT coupe as well, but that's it. Three 2009 mustangs also. The GT display was kind of cool. Every hour they changed wheels, spoilers, hood to show the optional looks. They actually jacked the car up and changed the wheels, all other exterior changes were taped on. Also talked to Tom the Mustang guy from Ford and asked a few questions, he was about to go on break so I didn't get a lot of his time:

I'm going to the Atlanta Auto Show this weekend and will be supremely dissapointed if they don't have a 2010 Shelby there. I know what you mean about the abuse, they have a 2000 Shelby KR on the open floor in the ford area last year, locked doors but not cordoned off so people were pawning all over it.

I'm going to the Atlanta Auto Show this weekend and will be supremely dissapointed if they don't have a 2010 Shelby there. I know what you mean about the abuse, they have a 2000 Shelby KR on the open floor in the ford area last year, locked doors but not cordoned off so people were pawning all over it.

I hope you see it in Atlanta 'cause it's not in KC. I just got back from the auto show and was very disappointed with the Mustangs. No '10 GT or GT500.. There was a V6 vert on a spinning platform that was elevated so you couldn't get near it to see inside. They did have a KR and a GT40.

• 3 weeks later...
I hope you see it in Atlanta 'cause it's not in KC. I just got back from the auto show and was very disappointed with the Mustangs. No '10 GT or GT500.. There was a V6 vert on a spinning platform that was elevated so you couldn't get near it to see inside. They did have a KR and a GT40.

Atlanta show was lame, they had one 2010 GT coupe on a platoform and a few 2009s on the floor, that was it. no Shelby's at all.

Archived