TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Warning! FUEL SMELL Problem

Bloomy63

During realignment of my JBA exhaust, after installation of several parts, I noticed that one of the fuel evap tubes that runs from the passenger side tank to the evap system under the trunk was melted through in two locations. :o

These tubes are plastic and run scary close to the exhaust. In a one place, the tube is metal, and in two other places the plastic tubes are wrapped in insulation.

These lines being this close to the exhaust system should have been metal.

Hopefully, I'm the only one that has had this problem, but as close as they are to the exhaust, I'm sure there are many others with this same situation.

Nothing like having fuel vapors right next to a hot exhaust pipe!!!!!

Pic of tubes in factory position.

post-20340-1234833507_thumb.jpg

post-20340-1234833507_thumb.jpg

Any pics of the fix??

Just found it tonight

Not exactly sure how I'm going to fix it yet, thinking about replacing the tubes with factory, wrapping them with an insulating wrap, and wrapping the section of the exhaust pipe close to the tube with insulating wrap as well.

So do you think that because you went to the 3" JBA exhaust being closer caused the line to melt? I agree that the fuel lines that close should be steel tubing.

I didn't notice the melted tubes after removing the factory exhaust.

The routing, and or size of the exhaust caused it to be closer to the evap tube.

Just found it tonight

Not exactly sure how I'm going to fix it yet, thinking about replacing the tubes with factory, wrapping them with an insulating wrap, and wrapping the section of the exhaust pipe close to the tube with insulating wrap as well.

Very nice car! Thxs for posting the problem.

I had the exact same thing happen to my car (3" bassani exhaust). It is the fuel return line and when melted all the way through, your car will not take gas while trying to fuel up at the pump. At first Ford thought my tank had a problem. They replaced the tank and then realized the line was completely melted. They then replaced the hose/line, and wrapped my exhaust with header wrap (both sides). Thankfully Marin Ford was really cool and did not charge me a cent for the repair. Of course they are now out of business.

• 10 months later...

When I bought my exhaust the old owner warned me of this too. So far I have had no issues but what fixes would you guys recommend if it were to happen? I actually slid the insulator type wrap on one of the lines over to where it came very close to the over the axel pipe.

Archived