TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Driving Impressions

Imatk

So I got to take out my new GT500 on Sunday as the clouds finally parted and some sun came out.

The first thing I will say in the words of Darth Vader is this car is "Impressive.... Most Impressive."

It's hard to describe, but the car isn't as light of foot as my GT but it honestly just doesn't matter.

I fully expected the car to underperform compared to my GT but it absolutely does NOT underperform.

It's responsive in the corners and pulls like a friggin FREIGHT TRAIN!

You can REALLY tell this car isn't even close to breaking a sweat with the stock pulley. But honestly I don't know if I'll even pulley and tune it at this point... I was that impressed.

The engine just BEGS for more even when you're giving it more. Whereas my GT you can tell it's being pushed (which it is) when the blower winds up. The GT is at it's limit at 500hp where the Cobra is just beginning to breathe.

I am completely and totally impressed with this car. This is my first Cobra and man what an experience!

All of my reservations because of weight were TOTALLY unfounded. The car is heavier and you can tell that it is.. but SVT has done such a great job of countering that weight that it simply doesn't matter.

The only mod I KNOW I'm going to do is the shifter. The shifter feels very sloppy compared to my GT. It shifts smooth, but it's not nearly as precise so I'll be doing a shifter for sure. Other than that I honestly don't think this car NEEDS anything else.

But I can only imagine how amazing it would perform with a suspension upgrade and maybe a pully swap.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I just had to post -- incredible simply incredible.

So glad you enjoy your ride.

I squealed like a girl when I got out of it for the first time. Oh hell, I'll squeal like a girl everytime I get out of the car.

Thanks for your honesty! I do too! Giggle like a little kid every time I hear that supercharger whine!

Thanks for your honesty! I do too! Giggle like a little kid every time I hear that supercharger whine!

I don't own one yet, so I have to rely on a friend to feed my addiction to the car. The first ride, I almost climbed over the console into his lap to see the gauges. I do not think I slept that night, I was so excited. I even have a video clip of me squealing.

So I got to take out my new GT500 on Sunday as the clouds finally parted and some sun came out.

The first thing I will say in the words of Darth Vader is this car is "Impressive.... Most Impressive."

It's hard to describe, but the car isn't as light of foot as my GT but it honestly just doesn't matter.

I fully expected the car to underperform compared to my GT but it absolutely does NOT underperform.

It's responsive in the corners and pulls like a friggin FREIGHT TRAIN!

You can REALLY tell this car isn't even close to breaking a sweat with the stock pulley. But honestly I don't know if I'll even pulley and tune it at this point... I was that impressed.

The engine just BEGS for more even when you're giving it more. Whereas my GT you can tell it's being pushed (which it is) when the blower winds up. The GT is at it's limit at 500hp where the Cobra is just beginning to breathe.

I am completely and totally impressed with this car. This is my first Cobra and man what an experience!

All of my reservations because of weight were TOTALLY unfounded. The car is heavier and you can tell that it is.. but SVT has done such a great job of countering that weight that it simply doesn't matter.

The only mod I KNOW I'm going to do is the shifter. The shifter feels very sloppy compared to my GT. It shifts smooth, but it's not nearly as precise so I'll be doing a shifter for sure. Other than that I honestly don't think this car NEEDS anything else.

But I can only imagine how amazing it would perform with a suspension upgrade and maybe a pully swap.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I just had to post -- incredible simply incredible.

Yeah--irresistable for the right foot!

I don't own one yet, so I have to rely on a friend to feed my addiction to the car. The first ride, I almost climbed over the console into his lap to see the gauges. I do not think I slept that night, I was so excited. I even have a video clip of me squealing.

Please post video clip.

Was your squeal anything like the Old Spice commercial with LL Cool J and his squeal?

Casue if it was.............THAT WOULD BE AWWWWWESOME!!!!!!!

QSS

Yeah, I remember my first ride too. I was pulling out of the dealer and went sideways!! ....and that was just on motor, no supercharger at that point. I made a few small drives with the car and reached the 50 mile mark before I had boost. The car was fast enough without the supercharger help (or so I thought)...it only got better !!

Yeah, the car will put a smile on anyone face.

Yeah, I remember my first ride too. I was pulling out of the dealer and went sideways!! ....and that was just on motor, no supercharger at that point. I made a few small drives with the car and reached the 50 mile mark before I had boost. The car was fast enough without the supercharger help (or so I thought)...it only got better !!

Yeah, the car will put a smile on anyone face.

Tremendous torque! The tires breaking loose at 70+ as you go into 3rd is a real rush!

Please post video clip.

Was your squeal anything like the Old Spice commercial with LL Cool J and his squeal?

Casue if it was.............THAT WOULD BE AWWWWWESOME!!!!!!!

QSS

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000

It was at about 9pm so there is nothing to see, All you hear is me squealing. My friend thinks its hysterical that I am this insane over a car. Funny story, a few years ago, I was out with friends.. I had way too much to drink and ended up flirting with some guy.. Anyway, it was closing time, I stepped out, and right in front of me, in the parking lot was a Mustang GT Prem. I was absolutely in Awe of that car. I stood in front of it.. simply looking at the lines etc. Some guy pulls up in a Truck and starts talking to me.. He says, "So, you like that car" I said, I did. " He says, He has a better one than that." My response.. was something like "Darlin, there is only one better than that and it would be a Mustang Shelby GT500" he laughed and said his was better.. I said, If you had a GT500 i'd F*&k you, right now". This was 2am, I had no telling how many Chivas' that night, and my friends husband says.. Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 came out without even a thought..

Anyway I've been a little freaky about that car for years and years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_9MOBu8TDY

It was at about 9pm so there is nothing to see, All you hear is me squealing. My friend thinks its hysterical that I am this insane over a car. Funny story, a few years ago, I was out with friends.. I had way too much to drink and ended up flirting with some guy.. Anyway, it was closing time, I stepped out, and right in front of me, in the parking lot was a Mustang GT Prem. I was absolutely in Awe of that car. I stood in front of it.. simply looking at the lines etc. Some guy pulls up in a Truck and starts talking to me.. He says, "So, you like that car" I said, I did. " He says, He has a better one than that." My response.. was something like "Darlin, there is only one better than that and it would be a Mustang Shelby GT500" he laughed and said his was better.. I said, If you had a GT500 i'd F*&k you, right now". This was 2am, I had no telling how many Chivas' that night, and my friends husband says.. Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 came out without even a thought..

Anyway I've been a little freaky about that car for years and years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_9MOBu8TDY

Great Story... with a Happy Ending !!! :hysterical:

Steeda UCA, Ford racing short throw. Fays 2 watts link, 373 gears. Hot part LCA's ordered. JLT cold air. Metco 2.6 with Justin from VMP- SCT flash and then a dyno tune. Eibach rear springs (185) Steeda hood props.

Ya, I wasn't going to mod mine either and these mods are nothing compared to what many have done!!!

It's a money pit. there is no place to stop. The after market industry is just licking at the chops every time one of us buys this car. Technology and testing has reached to a level of perfection that commands you spend the money and make the car better.

You will see. Enjoy.

Steeda UCA, Ford racing short throw. Fays 2 watts link, 373 gears. Hot part LCA's ordered. JLT cold air. Metco 2.6 with Justin from VMP- SCT flash and then a dyno tune. Eibach rear springs (185) Steeda hood props.

Ya, I wasn't going to mod mine either and these mods are nothing compared to what many have done!!!

It's a money pit. there is no place to stop. The after market industry is just licking at the chops every time one of us buys this car. Technology and testing has reached to a level of perfection that commands you spend the money and make the car better.

You will see. Enjoy.

Yeah I've been down that road before with my GT, so I know what's out there.

At the end of the day I found certain things are more hassle than they're worth unless you track and race the car.

I'm not going to do either so I don't see piling money into my Cobra like I did my '06.

There are some things I definitely want to do that I miss from my '06... Hood struts is a biggie :)

I'll probably do those and maybe put some sequential signals on it, probably an axle-back exhaust and a shifter.

Just little things.

But it will be a while before I do any of it.

Archived