TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Show us, and tell us about your supercharger

There have been soooo many threads on SGT superchargers. Many people with various opinions about all the supercharger options. I want to hear from the owners! . Give us the FACTS! Let's see some pictures. Let us know what you think. What would you change? Why did choose what you chose? What had to be modified to you SGT to accommodate the supercharger? Give us the Pros and the Cons of YOUR supercharger and educate the rest of us. Owners - Just tell us all about it. (don't forget the pics)

http://www.cjponyparts.com/NewShop.aspx

We'll I chose Whipple. Due to reputation of the product, LOOKS and customer service. In addition I wanted instant boost. I wanted all of my power from the door and up front, because if I did decide to race it would be over before it got started.

If I had to do it over again, I would have upgraded the brakes first then put the supercharger on. Due to the way I drive and having a supercharger on stock brakes at the time made it terribly hard to stop....... Shortly after the S/C was put on, I upgraded to the Shelby/Baer GT Plus system and that really balanced the car out. I added rear Earls SS rear brake lines along with new rear rotors and hawk brake pads, now the car stops on a dime.

I am thrilled with how everything turned out.... The only draw back was that I had to loose my strut tower brace... But it was worth it. I added other suspension mods to try and compensate for the strut tower brace loss, such as LCA, UCA, Watts Link and A-Arm brace. The car is glued to the ground.

CJ Parts did the original install, but had the car returned since then as I added other mods including the Kenne Bell Boost a pump to insure the correct amount of fuel was going to the engine due to the addition of the Whipple.

Car is currently dynoed @ 475rwhp on 12psi and it's an Automatic......

post-12379-1234751300_thumb.jpg

post-12379-1234751300_thumb.jpg

I see many IMOs here, look at the ones that have installed Superchargers. I had both the Whipple and the SAI Kenne Bell boxes in the shop floor to put on my SGT. I kept the SAI KB and installed the unit. CNC housing vs cast. Result-went from 278RWHP to 451RWHP;

I used the brace that came with the car;

The only mod to the car was to make a small cut of metal on the radiator mount to mount the air inlet tube to pass from the air filter located behind the valance.

I added 2 1/16" Autometer gauges to Shelby pod because I wanted a wideband air/fuel guage

The unit is ever so quite-except for the increase sound of the exhaust!

No heat problems-the unit picks up a cooler charge of air from outside of the car, not the engine compartment.

You can make more than 10 PSI, however you need to change the crank, rods, pistons if you want the engine to have a long life.

Easy to work with the people at KB

The SS uses KB to get 725hp

It is quicker than my GT500.

Most SGT owners miles are from driving their cars on the road and not 1/4 mile at a time. Where we reside torque is king. A SC develops its torque at a much lower RPM, no need to spin up 4500 to 5000 RPM and there is NO lag as with the Turbo.

I will add that I sold my Whipple the day they raised the price by $1000. It now resides in AZ at the Chip Beck garage and he loves it. However, no brace and that will hurt handling.

Drive a SC and you will fall in love with the SGT all over. It is they way the car should have come from SHELBY.

post-13173-1234790225_thumb.jpg

post-13173-1234790290_thumb.jpg

post-13173-1234790225_thumb.jpg

post-13173-1234790290_thumb.jpg

2/16/09

The Shelby/Paxton (Novi 1200). Installed by Tampa Bay Shelby before the Holidays. My car was a left over new 2007 bought in July so being a '07 was able to get the Paxton. Like the old school Shelby look and feel. This is the way they did it in the 60's. Fits in the engine bay, retains in strut brace, etc.

Drives alot like a sport bike. Where you need to be 8-9,000 rpm and up, the hit on the SGT comes at about 3,000 rpm up. 3-6,500 rpms is the sweet spot with the Paxton. Probably not the best drag S/C application, but for street and roadracing-track days it works well. Going to run at Sebring in April and will post on perfromance versus Whipples, KB and GT500's.

post-20776-1234792258_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1234792258_thumb.jpg

There was an effort afoot to have the three most popular S/C units compared "apples to apples" at CS86. Mac (Lulu) has many years of S/C experience and was going to drive the Paxton, Whipple and KB on the same track on the same day on the same type of car (SGT) . . . you get the idea. That did not work out because Chip Beck had to beg off because of his Mom's health issues.

I suspect that every one of us agonized over which unit to put on. I know I did.

I wanted the Paxton for all the historical reasons and because it just looks like it was born to be on a SGT. The low profile is particularly attrative to my eye. I had my car at the SAI Mod Shop in January 2008 for the Paxton install and I have photos of the Paxton on my '08. Then came the news that Paxton would not be getting CARB certification anytime soon (and still has not).

I was given the choice of Whipple or KB. The KB option, installed at SAI anyway, was brand new and only came to pass because of the Paxton problems. Once I knew of the KB option, I had to do all my homework over again.

In the end, I just never was comfortable with the Whipple and not for any rational reason. I did not hear one bad word about it from those who have them on their SGTs. But, for me, Whipple is identified with the GT500 and I wanted to not blur the lines between the SGT and the GT500.

The KB, in polished form, is an impressive piece under the hood. I acknowledge that others prefer the understated look of the black KB and on their cars it does look downright sinister. But KB does something else that nobody else does that, for me, tells me they mean business. It is where they place their CAI. It is down low in front of the passenger wheelwell (just behind the front bumper), as far away from engine heat as one can get.

The final straw was that KB is just up the road from me and, although I have never needed service on the unit, it is nice to know I can get it close by.

The KB units are deathly quiet. I know some prefer the sound of the Whipple (and it is quite pronounced) and that of the Paxton but I want my car to be as stealth like as possible (although I would have taken the S/C noise with the Paxon). When we were at CS86, I stood midway on the straight away and you could really hear the Whipples, while the KBs were quiet (although you can hear a whine inside the car) on the outside.

When I first had the S/C put on the car, it was difficult to get the power to the ground. Practice, particularly the laps at CD86, solved that issue. From a performance standpoint, the S/C works well with the SGT.

I subscribe to the "you have to make it stop as fast as you make it go" theory about cars. As soon as I got my car back from SAI, I had the biggest AP Racing brakes they make for the SGT installed. At SAI, the front and rear brake ducts were installed. There is no longer any issue about brakes with the car. When I had the car at the 2008 B-Day bash (it was N/A then), the stock brakes were history in way too short a time. As you can tell from my signature, I am a big brake (pun intended) fan.

Others have said it before me but it still is true. No matter what S/C unit you choose for your car, you will be pleased with what you end up with. After you get past the need to experience the "drag race" aspects of the car on the street and get it to a road racing setting, you will see how well the car is balanced for that type of driving. Those whose interest is primarily drag racing know how well these cars stack up on the 1/4 mile track.

In terms of cost, you cannot rationalize the cost of any of these units. Do your homework and decide which one you want. If it turns out to be an expensive one, save your nickels for a while longer. In the end, get what you really want. Getting what you really want is why you have a SGT. I was never in the market for a GT500 as, for me, I saw the limitiations of the car for my type of driving (mountain road twisties). The GT500 is an awesome car but it is a much different car than the SGT. If you have not driven a GT500, you should. They are sweet as can be. But, on the twisties, that extra 400-500 pounds on the front end, along with the extra 2" in height tends to make them not quite as much fun, at least for me.

Good luck with the hunt.

Jim

Cut n paste from another thread:

I have one of both.

2008 #64 has the Paxton/IC setup (manual transmission) and it´s an awesome driving machine. 478 RWHP on a fully built motor - only 439 RWHP when motor was completely stock. There is some delay in building boost, but it is not much at all, and when boost hits, the car flies!

I love that car, but I still made the decision to go the whipple / auto tranny route.

2008 #1943 has the big Whipple/IC, 441 RWHP, Automatic transmission. Lots of low rpm torque and the car actually feels much faster for 98 % of the time.

If you use the car for daily driving, the whipple/auto combo is clearly the way to go.

I have a Whipple on a 2006 Mustang GT.

I now have 15K miles on the installation and the car feels like it came from the factory.

In researching this mod, I read very favorable reviews of this kit. In fact, one of the major magazines raved about the tune. They felt it really separated the Whipple kit from the competition. The tune for this kit was done by Ford - the same group that did the GT500 stock tune.

My car had some irritating things stock. It idled fast, when you blipped the throttle in neutral, the rpm's hung up at around 2000 rpms, the throttle tip in seemed out of synch. etc. These nuances were all cured by the Procal tune.

I love how complete this kit is from FRPP. Great CAI, dual GT500 fuel pump kit, high quality intercooler set up, great instuctions. I installed it with a friend over a weekend. An experienced installer could do it in an afternoon.

Dyno results were in the 475-480 rwhp and 460 - 470 rwtq on 91 octane fuel.

I love the drive-ability of my car. It is a daily driver. It also shines on the track.

Whipple.jpg

Whipple.jpg

Whipple is a strong company thats been around a long time, but the thing that really sold me is that they collaborated with ford on the design and got the Ford logos on there product. I installed the kit myself and its what you would expect from from a manufacturer which is to say the bar is set much higher then most after market products. It installs like a factory option, well thought out and complete.

The whipple is pretty much silent except at WOT when it sings a little bit very nice IMHO.

I'm a Kenny bell fan, I think they make a nice unit and it looks great on the car but the way they routed the air cleaner was a serious turn off for me but thats a personal preference. Other differences you will see revolve around how they get fuel pressure to deal with the blown motor. The Whipple uses the GT500 dual pump set very clean factory option.

Here's mine.

roush01.jpg

It's a Roush TVS 2300. Running 8lbs of boost.

In my backseat I have the stock crank damper (there's a Steeda damper on there at the moment). Once I put the stocker back on, it'll bring the boost to about 11-12 lbs. Might get me to about 460-475 rwhp, I'm guessing.

I'm not doing that until I upgrade to the GT500 dual fuel pump system (from JDM). I will also get better brakes... I'm looking at some GT500 take-offs from this board.

This is my first supercharger, so I don't have any point of reference. But I'm very pleased with it. The best part (maybe a negative for some) is that it is very quiet. It's hard to hear the whine.

If I hadd to do it all over again, I'd get the Roush blower and short block kit. It's this supercharger plus a short block with forged internals... the same setup in the 510hp Roush P51. Later this year I'm hoping to buy a built motor from JDM. I'd like to get this car to 550rwhp, if possible. The best part of this supercharger is the headroom. Roush says I can take this to 700hp. Nice!

Here's mine.

roush01.jpg

It's a Roush TVS 2300. Running 8lbs of boost.

In my backseat I have the stock crank damper (there's a Steeda damper on there at the moment). Once I put the stocker back on, it'll bring the boost to about 11-12 lbs. Might get me to about 460-475 rwhp, I'm guessing.

I'm not doing that until I upgrade to the GT500 dual fuel pump system (from JDM). I will also get better brakes... I'm looking at some GT500 take-offs from this board.

This is my first supercharger, so I don't have any point of reference. But I'm very pleased with it. The best part (maybe a negative for some) is that it is very quiet. It's hard to hear the whine.

If I hadd to do it all over again, I'd get the Roush blower and short block kit. It's this supercharger plus a short block with forged internals... the same setup in the 510hp Roush P51. Later this year I'm hoping to buy a built motor from JDM. I'd like to get this car to 550rwhp, if possible. The best part of this supercharger is the headroom. Roush says I can take this to 700hp. Nice!

550rwhp with this SC will be easy, get the new short block or new internals first

'MMcGuirk'

Do you have a stock hood on your car? What strut tower brace are you using that clears the Whipple supercharger and fits under the hood? Care to shed some light on that little gem!?

GT500 hood and the brace is color matched stock GT500 with a spacer from Jay Tucker (JLT).

Posting this here in this thread too ...

When I found out the Shelby GT/SC existed, I wanted a Paxton installed by SAI in Las Vegas because of the history between the two companies. After learning that the Paxton wasn't going to be available for 2008 for some time, I decided to have the Whipple installed with no reservations about making such a decision due to Ford and Shelby backing the Whipple.

Since my car had already sat in Nevada for three months waiting for a supercharger, Bud called and asked me if it'd be alright to ship my car to me while I waited for the Whipple to be available. I told him that was fine with me. Then we discussed that sending my car to Tasca after the Whipple was ready for release may be a better plan than shipping it all the way back to Las Vegas.

I was cool with that plan as Tasca was definitely an icon of Ford racing history. However, after attempting to make a few phone calls to discuss installation of a Whipple supercharger (bad follow up with potential customers) and hearing some stories about a very unsuccessful installation of a 2007 Paxton kit on a 2008 SGT, I began talking to Quantum Performance.

Last April, I shipped my SGT to Quantum Performance to have a Whipple supercharger installed as soon as it was available. Unfortunately I wasn't born with any patience whatsoever, so when Whipple's message of "any day now" changed to "we don't know when" with regard to shipping superchargers for 2008 Mustangs, I became really disheartened. But not for long.

Almost immediately after hearing the bad news about the Whipple hold up, I learned that Shelby Autos was going to authorize the Kenne Bell supercharger for installation in Shelby GT/SC's. So I changed my mind again. Kenne Bell also has a great reputation - especially with me since I had owned one for five years at the time in my 2001 Mustang GT with no issues.

As a matter of comment, after I installed the Kenne Bell 1.7L in my '01, I went to a dyno day at a local speed shop with a handful of stock and modified Terminator Cobras. We all noticed how the Cobras really suffered from heat soak after just a couple of pulls, yet my GT didn't suffer near as bad (yes, I know part of that was Eaton vs. twin-screw, but the rest was more efficient heat exchange).

So that's how I ended up getting my Shelby GT/SC upgrade at Quantum Performance. As you can see, I was willing to have a supercharger from any of these three reputable supercharger companies at the Shelby mod shops. For me, it was all about timing (the sooner - the better - and less manic I get!).

Dig-It

Kevin,

I did't know that you'd had that much going on with your install. When I was at Quantum Performance end of May last year for their Grand Opening, your car had been sitting there for some time then also. . . . I know you were on the hook to for what you were going to do with your hood.

Manic/impatient or not - you managed to make it through! Your GT/SC turned out great!

Trevor

WHIPPLE

-Good customer service and knowledge

-Good looking unit and straight forward installation

-Makes awesome power and easy to swap a pulley for more

-No cutting up anything to fit

-Not noisy

-S/C oil last a LONG time 75,000 or more without looking it up before changing

-I think the squared up Shelby gages for the dash are gaudy and ugly so I used streamlined SOS

-I used Auto Meter Cobalts so I can match the dash / instruments lights color

-Would be nice if the strut brace fit but no big deal and don't even miss it

-R&D with Ford Racing and a Proven good tune with no failures as long as you don't modify it

MyWhipple install pics

:happy feet: :peelout:

Factory installed paxton gt/sc...no hassles, extremely clean and professional installation by SAI. Works great! If you are in 3rd gear you gotta be at 3000 rpm or more for the kick, but in 1st gear it comes on so frickin fast that there is ZERO lag...just nail the throttle and hang on 'cause it'll burn thru the first 3 gears. If I had a choice to do an aftermarket S/C install on my own, the other choices are not quite as a cluttered/cramped engine compartment and look like an easier install. Sorry...no pics, it's in hibernation...

Shelby Paxton Kit - Novi 1200 with H.O. Intercooler

What would you change?

- Add the Ford Facing Dual Fuel Pump, about $700 more and worth every penny.

- Get a custom tune by a qualified tuner.

Why did you choose what you chose?

- Shelby Paxton heritage plus the only SAI option at the time I purchased (April 2007) so an easy choice. Would make the same decision today.

What had to be modified to your SGT to accommodate the supercharger?

- Relocated radiator overflow and power steering reservoir.

- Tapped oil pan for oil line return.

Give us the Pros and the Cons of YOUR supercharger.

Pros

- Reliable, pretty much same Paxton design for over 40 years, over 12,000 trouble free miles

- Good performance on the street and at the track.

- 11.86 second 1/4mile at 120.09MPH on stock bottom end, clutch, transmission.

Cons

- Honestly can't think of any.

PaxtonUpdate021709.jpg

:censored:ing Paxton.

After calling Paxton, Bud, and Quantum today I guess its gonna be a Whipple 550HO for me. Im still pissed, but oh well, such is life. Shoulda bought it when I had a chance.

Chris

Chris,

A Whipple? How can you do that without having driven my KB at CS86? :P

Jim

:censored:ing Paxton.

After calling Paxton, Bud, and Quantum today I guess its gonna be a Whipple 550HO for me. Im still pissed, but oh well, such is life. Shoulda bought it when I had a chance.

Chris

What did they all say, is it a never to get a SAI one?

Paxton said " we are working on getting it passed"

Quantum said " doubt it will happen, go with the whipple."

Bud said " they will have to completely redesign the system to get it passed, I dont see it ever happening"

The problem is, the car was origionally tested with the stock air box. We dont have the air box. Quantum told me they would be more than happy to sell me the paxton, either the 1200 or 2200 and they said they would be happy to install it. BUT, it would not say Shelby, no registry entry, and no stripe. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, good bye Paxton. The registry entry is the whole purpose I want to put the supercharger on it. I have seen what these cars will do stock (N/A) and now feel I really dont need a supercharger, just need to learn how to drive it. Thanx Vince. The only reason I want to supercharge is the registry. If I did not care about the registry I would install a turbo if I did anything at all.

Chris

Paxton said " we are working on getting it passed"

Quantum said " doubt it will happen, go with the whipple."

Bud said " they will have to completely redesign the system to get it passed, I dont see it ever happening"

The problem is, the car was origionally tested with the stock air box. We dont have the air box. Quantum told me they would be more than happy to sell me the paxton, either the 1200 or 2200 and they said they would be happy to install it. BUT, it would not say Shelby, no registry entry, and no stripe. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, good bye Paxton. The registry entry is the whole purpose I want to put the supercharger on it. I have seen what these cars will do stock (N/A) and now feel I really dont need a supercharger, just need to learn how to drive it. Thanx Vince. The only reason I want to supercharge is the registry. If I did not care about the registry I would install a turbo if I did anything at all.

Chris

Who are you talking to at Quantum?

Jim,

No offense buddy, I do regret not driving your car at the BB. I should have, but was scared. I have always be taught you dont mess with someones hat, woman, or car. You dont talk religion or politics. I have broken the politics one on occasion here. Plus if I would have broke it, I could not afford to fix it. If I would have messed my car up I could have lived with that, its mine. If I would have hurt your baby, I could have never forgave myself, and everyone would remember that forever.

The reason for the Whipple over the KB:

The KB is a Great Blower, But I have owned a Whipple that I had on the second lightning I owned. Loved it. The reason I wanted the Paxton was for the nostalgia of it. Of course the Whipple has a great reputation with Ford and with Shelby. I have also been told, " if you plan on building a short block and doing cams and heads the KB is the way to go, but if you wish to stay with the stock bottom end then the Whipple is the best for these motors.

I have seen what blowers can do to these modular motors. both good and bad. I really dont even want the 550HO, But I must have an intercooler. My goal is 450 to the tires and Quantum said they can tune real safe at that level. That KB is a more efficient blower, that is why you get more power at lower boost levels. That boost as you know has to go somewhere, lots of efficency and no where to go gets you a window in the block and I damn sure dont want one of those. It gets cold here, all of my knowledge of boost and carnage is when its cold out and right when you let off the loud pedal, BOOM. Again prob just scared. I do think the KB looks nicer, but in the end I dont care bout the most power I can make, just that it says SGT/SC in the registry.

I get my brakes in one hour. :happy feet: :happy feet:

Archived